Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Eric Vale is my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I liked Vegeta's english VA as a kid, but it sounds too Cool Guy for such a short guy, and the script often makes him say some really dumb things. I've cooled on it.

Exactly how I feel. I like Sabat's Vegeta in general but it's really jarring to hear him say stuff like "yeah whatever babe" even in the more comedic Super, it's way too casual and out of character. Vegeta has no chill, he still calls Goku "Kakarott" years later as a point of pride. I get that the joke is Vegeta approaches his relationship like a stereotypical bro boyfriend, it just doesn't sound right for Vegeta to be dropping slang. Like you said it just makes him sound dumber, which in turn makes him less formidable as a fighter.

I think the Japanese VA is miles better by comparison, it's a more reserved portrayal but it's still managed to get the humor out of Serious Dad Vegeta dealing with family troubles or Joke Fights while mostly keeping intact his intimidating standoffish presence from Z.

That's a minor quibble though, otherwise I'm enjoying the dub a lot for all the personality the English cast has injected to the episodes, especially those early ones that I wasn't too impressed by the first time around. Really looking forward to the Black arc especially.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
His "Yeah sure fine babe" line was sarcastic, so it's not like Vegeta would really say something like that normally. It makes it feel more like he actually pays attention to Earth culture enough to use it that way, especially since that ep also showed that Bulma takes him out to a bunch of restaurants.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I abandoned the dub after watching the Revival of F episodes. They change the translation and add things superficially that don't work, in my opinion. Subbed Frieza was like super serious and direct, and dubbed Frieza is all strained metaphors and theatrics. Both are okay, it's just preference.

E: It's like they turned even minor characteristics to 11, which again is fine, but just doesn't work on all levels for me.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sub Frieza likes Metaphors and theatrics as well. Don't get what you are talking about.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Japanese Frieza just spent an entire episode doing nothing but using metaphors and theatrics to troll the poo poo out of Goku.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Frieza has never been a serious character, he is a character that is so much better than you he fucks with you.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I definitely think that the dub is kind of going all in in a DBZA direction that I don't really like

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Japanese version is the same, it's just that outside of the obvious name puns and the slapstick, you don't get it as much because it's not in your language.

Super is silly as gently caress.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I really get the sense that they're just adapting to the sillier writing. They started with Z, which didn't have nearly as much of this, but now the show has episodes that completely expect you to laugh at it, so it's not like the added lines are that out of place. I mean, one of the later episodes literally makes fun of Yamcha dying to the saibaman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously this cannot be stressed, the baseball episode is coming.

Yamcha does The Pose.

In fact I remember people talking about THAT being like abridged, so I guess we've come back around.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sub Frieza likes Metaphors and theatrics as well. Don't get what you are talking about.

Episode 21:
Frieza: "The Galactic Patrol and one Namekian, eh?"
Frieza: "A Galactic Patrolman and a ragtag group of misfits, at least there is variety!"

Frieza: "Oh, I remember you... I killed you before."
Frieza: "Ohlookthelittlebaldone I distinctly remember killingyouonNamek thatwasagreatdealoffun" (has to ramble to match lips)

Frieza: "So, you've been revived by the dragon balls, too. Well no matter how many times you return, I'll kill you each and every time."
Frieza: "It seems the dragon balls can ressurrect the powerful and the pathetic, well I don't care how many times you come back, it only affords me the opportunity to end your life in ever more brutal and creative ways."

Like it's the same thing, but ... unnecessary. Is it more characterization? Maybe? When you combine it all together Friezaistalkinginonelongrun-onsentencehahahawhenisgokugettingherethesemonkeys let's jam as much of "effeminate fancypants ruler"(I guess because of his colored lips) into his dialogue as possible. If you like the second quotes in this example it's FINE, but it doesn't sound very good to my ears.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I can't wait for Dub Zamasu.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Everyone's lines pretty much sound more silly, yeah, but this is Super. Super really feels like OG Dragonball and DBZ had a schizophrenic baby. And that's perfectly okay and works for the series. It's not like Super doesn't know when or how to get serious (the entire Goku Black/future Trunks arc got dark) so when it's being dumb during lighthearted moments that's fine.

Like 80% of the franchise is just characters endlessly squatting and screaming like they're about to take the most massive poo poo of their lives. The entire concept is goofy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You're not wrong. But they are different.

E: Holy poo poo, Grandma Goku is 80.

\/\/\/ Vegeta's dad moments have been great. Him working out in the gravity chamber with the motivation to avenge Bulma, and telling Trunks in his stern way "there's always another way" have been good. Oh, and reaching for Trunks hand when the purple goop was about to get him. Even the SAIYAN PRIDE stuff with Cabba in the tourney was pretty good and not out of character or forced. Vegeta is probably my favorite character in Super so far... also, another aside, he still YEEEEELLS THE NAMES OF HIS ATTAAAAACKS (the rest of the cast still does it, but I'm surprised at how many "generic orb of energy" they use, too) and seeing him use Galick Gun again and stuff has been great nostalgia fuel.

E2: Turns out the dubbed version still yells stuff... from the budokai games.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Regarding Vegeta's babe/honey thing I actually think it works (along with he and Bulma's entire Super relationship) because it's clear that the writers are trying to make it look like these two are actually IN a relationship. In Z the two hooking up was so contrived and clearly an asspull to have Trunks come into existence without being Goku's relative. Even in the Buu saga it was hard to believe Vegeta gave a flying gently caress about his family right up to ,and beyond, the point of him killing himself for their sake. Super's writers took the character growth he was already exhibiting and fleshed it out to make him feel more human and less like a bag of villain tropes. He and Bulma actually sound like a couple who have been married for years now, and it's pretty much the only pairing in the show that is believable. Those words will never feel natural coming out of Vegeta's mouth (and him doing the ^_^ face in RoF or genuinely smiling looks OOC/downright creepy) but it's all part of him having more depth than MY SAIYAN PRIDE!

Frieza has gone a little nuts with the metaphors, I noticed that immediately too, but watched Kai for the first time alongside Super around the time the RoF dub started and he always seemed to talk that way in English. I think most of the main cast in Super (barring a few like Vegeta and Future Trunks?) suffered a little Flanderization, but not too heavily to be enjoyable.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I will say everything Vegeta says to #19 in the dub is gold. Also get that sweet Faulconer score.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I can't believe the comedy series isn't serious.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Actual point though if you're using crunchy subs to make your point its good to remember those are kinda rushed and bad and typically leave out a lot of flavour in my experience.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I know it's not serious. It's a cool internet thing to minimize and cherry pick points, though. It's okay to like the dubbed version.
Are you disagreeing that the lines (and sometimes the intent) is changed in the dubbed, though? That's my only point.

This is rhetoric, don't answer it.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If Freeza talks funny and different and weird now, maybe it's because he was in Hell and did not get a reincarnation reboot on his way back out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is just tangentially related, but I like dubs with tons of adlibs because anime tends to translate pretty stiffy, and even if it changes the tone of specific scenes a bit it tends to help the overall tone, imho. OPM now hás a very good PTBR dub that reaches YYH levels of adlibbing slang and little observations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Firstborn posted:

I will say everything Vegeta says to #19 in the dub is gold. Also get that sweet Faulconer score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZbGSXeWWE

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like Vegeta's theme and the SSJ3 theme! Cell's theme is memorable, too.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 25, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I like Vegeta's theme and the SSJ3 theme! Cell's theme is memorable, too.

Congrats you named the three good songs from that ost

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Firstborn posted:

Future Trunks just showed up. I thought it was from another timeline, but it turns out it's the same one from Z. That's kind of cool, I guess.

They should've let Kid Trunks have blue hair, too.

can king kai even go to earth and hang out with anyone now? it's kinda hosed up that goku leaves him dead and trapped in the afterlife while everyone parties it up on earth and has great food and bingo and poo poo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

can king kai at least watch the ToP? did goku even tell him it's happening? no-one cares about poor old (dead) king kai

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh i forgot, goku saw king kai again when he dropped that poacher off on his planet to double kill king kai. did he at least tell him about the ToP then? gonna have to rewatch that episode

edit: no he didn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGOrBJFAuUY

what is with that blank stare/grin at king kai goku?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 25, 2017

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Condiv posted:

can king kai even go to earth and hang out with anyone now? it's kinda hosed up that goku leaves him dead and trapped in the afterlife while everyone parties it up on earth and has great food and bingo and poo poo

Sure he can. Who's gonna stop him, Jaco? You can't arrest a dead guy for being dead.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Junpei Hyde posted:

Congrats you named the three good songs from that ost

gohan turning super saiyan 2, goku turning super saiyan for the first time

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

StrifeHira posted:

Sure he can. Who's gonna stop him, Jaco? You can't arrest a dead guy for being dead.

can the dead actually exit the afterlife without baba's help?

maybe she should bail king kai out of the afterlife so he can go crash one of goku's parties he's never invited to

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raserys posted:

gohan turning super saiyan 2, goku turning super saiyan for the first time

I have no idea what the old English dub used for that and I also don't care because it's not matching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8aiW3GEME

The moment I got most annoyed with Kai was when I got to Gohan's SS2 transformation (easily my favourite scene in the whole series) and the OST just loving failed. It couldn't deliver even nearly the same feeling that song did. I was heavily disappointed.

Condiv posted:

can the dead actually exit the afterlife without baba's help?

maybe she should bail king kai out of the afterlife so he can go crash one of goku's parties he's never invited to

They can't leave normally. Other than Baba, the only way would be to literally tear a hole between dimensions like Janemba and Super 17 caused. And neither of those are canon, so it might genuinely be impossible in canon.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have no idea what the old English dub used for that and I also don't care because it's not matching this.

:yeah:

You and I were cool before, but we're friends now. This post is right on the fuckin' money.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

tbp posted:

yeah pre and post freeza Z has a pretty decent art difference imo. and then z to super is again really big.

its not the end of the world but one thing i liked a lot as a kid was seeing like vegeta limping around with what had to be broken bones, with his armor completely destroyed yet still terrifying krillin/yajirobe/gohan. goku was so broken he couldn't even get up

you don't really get that feel of gravity in super

I really enjoyed it too. Especially the way it followed through with Vegeta covering his pod with blood and being on life support the way home, nailed how vicious the whole thing really was.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I didn't super like the Buu saga, and I feel like the last real brutal fight was 17 vs. Piccolo, but maybe im misremembering

Saiyan Saga is perfect.
E: Here are some screenshots showing the different animation supervisors and how they drew the characters differently in Super.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 25, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Firstborn posted:

I didn't super like the Buu saga, and I feel like the last real brutal fight was 17 vs. Piccolo, but maybe im misremembering

What did you think of SSJ2 Majin Vegeta vs. Goku? Wasn't that pretty brutal, too?

The fight opened with Vegeta nuking a giant portion of the crowd at the Tournament, then showing off his trademark devilish smile. The actual fight sequence was well-animated and intense, and actually quite long. At one point, Vegeta used ki-blasts to lock down Goku's limbs, then kneed him right in the nuts. Felt brutal enough for me.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah I think you're right about that one. I kind of hate that portion of the show, but yeah.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That Goku/Vegeta fight looked great but mattered so drat little in the grand scheme of things. Borderline feels like filler.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It was the entire reason that Babidi was able to summon Buu, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As for other brutal fights in the Buu Saga, Videl vs Spopovich, Buu cleaning house when he's first summoned includes him one-shotting Gohan to near-death and crushing Kaioshin, Gohan vs Super Buu, etc.

If you want to know why Super doesn't do that any more it's half a tonal change and half the fact that you can't get away with as much of that poo poo on Sunday mornings these days