Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es9Fk6v5n-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHtuw_xtcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAL0ard3YPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdTqEGHl0-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50zQ67D6wY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDSeMhgy72s

Kild fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah bruce faulconer loving sucks alright

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

yeah bruce faulconer loving sucks alright

turn on your monitor

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kild posted:

turn on your monitor

im typing this with my monitor off and bruce faulconer still sucks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Firstborn posted:

Episode 21:
Frieza: "The Galactic Patrol and one Namekian, eh?"
Frieza: "A Galactic Patrolman and a ragtag group of misfits, at least there is variety!"

Frieza: "Oh, I remember you... I killed you before."
Frieza: "Ohlookthelittlebaldone I distinctly remember killingyouonNamek thatwasagreatdealoffun" (has to ramble to match lips)

Frieza: "So, you've been revived by the dragon balls, too. Well no matter how many times you return, I'll kill you each and every time."
Frieza: "It seems the dragon balls can ressurrect the powerful and the pathetic, well I don't care how many times you come back, it only affords me the opportunity to end your life in ever more brutal and creative ways."

Like it's the same thing, but ... unnecessary. Is it more characterization? Maybe? When you combine it all together Friezaistalkinginonelongrun-onsentencehahahawhenisgokugettingherethesemonkeys let's jam as much of "effeminate fancypants ruler"(I guess because of his colored lips) into his dialogue as possible. If you like the second quotes in this example it's FINE, but it doesn't sound very good to my ears.

what you're seeing here is this strange phenomena called good writing that has style instead of a stiff direct translation of a language that doesn't have any of the same conventions as English

EDIT: To put it less sarcastically, yes the lines are different because they HAVE to be. You can't keep them the exact same because Japanese does not directly translate to English. If you kept the lines the "same" they would still be different from how they were supposed to come across in the Japanese version. The best thing to do is to capture the spirit of the original in a way that comes across well in English, which is what Funimation does.

Augus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 25, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You really think the latter examples are better writing?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah yes, that "good writing"

Edit: The "spirit" of the original is to have Vegeta say "babe"?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

For anyone who hates the dub that much the subs are that way >>>

There are a number of small differences in Funi's script, but it's not a total rewrite that misses the point like the 90s dub did. If that's still not okay and you want direct translations with zero embellishment that's totally fine. However, that's also why subs exist in the first place.

On the topic of music Falcouner is not high art but I love it anyway due to cheese and nostalgia. The original score is leagues better and I don't miss the Falcouner tracks in Kai, but I use the gently caress out of a XV2 mod that replaces the game's abortion of a soundtrack with Falcouner pieces.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The subs are right here

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the CR subs aren't great but I guess that's unavoidable with simulcast

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Aurora posted:

The subs are right here

The subs are here, in my heart.

DADADADADA

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegeta and Bulma are in an incredibly loving relationship, of course he calls his wife babe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alan_Shore posted:

Yes, the absolute portrayal of Vegeta's character in Super is that of a put-upon sitcom husband. It's reasonable to have him use simple terms of endearment during lighthearted moments to underscore this, since that's how put-upon sitcom dads behave in English language media. Vegeta's anguished groan or whatever in Japanese can absolutely be localized as "Yes, dear."

I don't know what it is with like, weebs in particular, where you want a direct one-to-one translation of every word from original Glorious Nihongo. So much of this poo poo is like puns and idioms, or things that make you sound like a robot if you break them out into a sentence fragment. Like, where does it end? Do we just start having the English VA's say "Nii-san" and "Aniki" because both of those translate to "Big Brother"? Do we do that completely heinous strat where the English dialog appends Japanese honorifics to names? No, you change it to a line that carries the appropriate connotation in English.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

the CR subs aren't great but I guess that's unavoidable with simulcast

What are the good subs? Legit asking.

This reminds me of TV Nihon Vs Over Time when it comes to Sentai subs. Over time doesn't do direct translation and tries to fit it in our language while TV Nihon does (bad) direct ones. Of course TV Nihon is more popular. I think? Idk these days.

RBX fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 25, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RBX posted:

I don't know of anyone else subbing DBS in English.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't know what it is with like, weebs in particular, where you want a direct one-to-one translation of every word from original Glorious Nihongo. So much of this poo poo is like puns and idioms, or things that make you sound like a robot if you break them out into a sentence fragment. Like, where does it end? Do we just start having the English VA's say "Nii-san" and "Aniki" because both of those translate to "Big Brother"? Do we do that completely heinous strat where the English dialog appends Japanese honorifics to names? No, you change it to a line that carries the appropriate connotation in English.

The best example I can think of in DBS is when they are summoning Super Shenron.

Sub: come forth super Shenron, samurai hair!

Dub (what they'll probably do similar to how the sub handled it) come forth Super Shenron, easy peazy!

Literal translation wet dream: come forth Super Shenron, samurai hair! (Gigantic paragraph appears explaining the "please" pun in Japanese and what the samurai hair word directly translated meant in context)

Using this as an example, they HAVE to rewrite this line because it makes no sense in English. Translations are full of little things like that and while sub fans are willing to pause and read what contextual stuff like this means, or even look it up themselves, a lot of native dub watchers would be like "nah gently caress that". I'm a sub purist for other anime. I get that feeling. But again, subs and dubs are really for two different types of audiences.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 25, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wasn't it pretty peas?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RBX posted:

They don't exist because the crunchy subs are serviceable enough that it isn't worth the effort.

I guess Funi's DVDs would have a sub track, but idk if they do dubtitles.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DragonTeam was our only source for subs for the longest time and I'll gladly take CR's subs over Sage Bean and Yumcha and Kulilin

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

does Daisuke just use the crunchy subs? That's where I watch and they don't bother me at all. Then again I seem to have a very low bar of "acceptable" going by the rest of the thread.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

This reminds me of TV Nihon Vs Over Time when it comes to Sentai subs. Over time doesn't do direct translation and tries to fit it in our language while TV Nihon does (bad) direct ones. Of course TV Nihon is more popular. I think? Idk these days.

I don't think they're more popular now, just because most people getting into the fandom now have advanced warning, but TV Nihon are still the only game in town for certain shows.

And if a smaller group starts up to do a new Kamen Rider series a lot of people may not know about it right away, meaning they'd be stuck with TV Nihon.

Christ I'm trying to imagine the hypothetical TV Nihon DBZ subs. Those sound absolutely miserable. Like if every attack was translated in the style of KING OF KAI FIST or whatever

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

does Daisuke just use the crunchy subs? That's where I watch and they don't bother me at all. Then again I seem to have a very low bar of "acceptable" going by the rest of the thread.

I believe they use the same or similar subs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Christ I'm trying to imagine the hypothetical TV Nihon DBZ subs. Those sound absolutely miserable. Like if every attack was translated in the style of KING OF KAI FIST or whatever

Did you even watch a TVN sub in your life? They'd keep that poo poo in its purest Nihongo version. It'd be Kaioken with a giant TL note in the upper corner of the screen.

That wouldn't be bad in and of itself (the TL note is sort of unneccesary, but whatever, I actually prefer keeping the attacks in Japanese considering literal translations get really long and other translations are bullshit taken out of a hat ala Special Beam Cannon) but they'd also probably keep "omee" and stuff like that untranslated with TL notes saying that it means I, but because Goku talks weird, there's no way to translate it so they keep it as it is to preserve the spirit of the show.

Vegeta's sub dialogue would be nothing but constant "kisama" with TL notes saying how kisama is too Japanese to translate. And so on, and so forth. Expect several names with the lamest possible romanization just to keep the Japanese spirit (BIIRUSU-SAMA, to give an example).

I won't give an opinion on the dub because I don't care, the only dub I'm watching is the Latin American one and even there only if they actually did it right this time, unlike Kai.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Someone should sub in the style of those classic 90s subs you found online trying to watch DBZ beyond Namek.

Everybody calling each other "loving rear end in a top hat" constantly, that's what Dragonball is to me. Imagine how much better the Tournament of Power would be if Kale started telling everybody to suck her dick?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Bills sama

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The only time boring robot subtitles are good is in the Janemba movie, where Pikkon figures out that Janemba's magic is damaged if you cuss at it. The bootleg VHS I had in middle school had him shouting "drat CRAZY SPIRIT WORLD" at one of those jellybean prisons to break it open, and that was hilarious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I get localizing his name because of pronounciation reasons, but this one is dumber in hindsight because the naming scheme is all about alcohol. Which, by the way, is another issue with doing quicksubs/dubs - they might end up doing some stupid callback/setup involving a word or sentence and then you have an untranslatable thing in your hands because how could you have known? Hodor comes to mind.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dias posted:

I get localizing his name because of pronounciation reasons, but this one is dumber in hindsight because the naming scheme is all about alcohol. Which, by the way, is another issue with doing quicksubs/dubs - they might end up doing some stupid callback/setup involving a word or sentence and then you have an untranslatable thing in your hands because how could you have known? Hodor comes to mind.

Klilyn

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It's Kuririn. It's also Tenshinhan and I would care more about arguing against Chiaotzu's name if he weren't a stupid piece of poo poo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
lmbo at this whole page in this thread. Anime was a mistake
Also laughing at the guy posting in the anime subforum calling someone a "weeb"

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 25, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Making fun of bad fansubs is a time honored tradition

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

paul colo
karl lin
and
chad su

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Translator's note: and means and

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't ever imagine you'd watch the original DBS dub and think Vegeta would ever say "babe". Talk about about a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

*sub note: fundamental means you done goofed son*

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Firstborn posted:

lmbo at this whole page in this thread. Anime was a mistake
Also laughing at the guy posting in the anime subforum calling someone a "weeb"

I calls 'em like I sees 'em. Not saying I'm not also weeb, just observing that weebs are frequently Very Mad when things get "too localized". A great example of this is how mad some people got about Ted Woolsey taking liberties with things in like Chrono Trigger, like Frog's Shakespeare-talking shtick. He's a medieval knight with an overly formal and samurai-like way of talking, I think it was a Good Localization Decision.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Who said anything about Chrono Trigger my dude. Who even said anyone was mad about Super. What is distinctly "localized" about Freeza saying too many words? Thanks for saving us from ourselves, noble goon.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 25, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Chrono Trigger, noted product completely unrelated to Dragonball

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
From the beginning I just pointed out that it was different, not even worse, and a matter of preference. You're in the Opinion Zone and I thought it was interesting to point out. This argument is terrible can we please move past it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.twitch.tv/esl
A DBZF tourney going on