Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

There will not be a rematch. Conor can only box when the UFC allows it, and they felt they needed to give Conor a chance to make life-changing money and hope he's greatful enough to defend his UFC LW belt a couple times. If he says he wants to box again, the UFC will tell him to gently caress off.

What about this - Mayweather wins a close decision, retires undefeated at 50-0 in boxing, but agrees to a rematch...IN THE OCTAGON

He gets to retire with a perfect boxing record, but he gets an extra billion dollars when everyone tunes in to see Conor beat the poo poo out of him in a 30 second stoppage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

What about this - Mayweather wins a close decision, retires undefeated at 50-0 in boxing, but agrees to a rematch...IN THE OCTAGON

He gets to retire with a perfect boxing record, but he gets an extra billion dollars when everyone tunes in to see Conor beat the poo poo out of him in a 30 second stoppage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
They will sure as hell rematch once they both go home with enough money to buy Whole Foods from Amazon.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EugeneJ posted:

If Mayweather offers to fight Conor in the Octagon under MMA rules in the UFC, then yes, I do believe the UFC would be in favor of that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Rigel posted:

There will not be a rematch. Conor can only box when the UFC allows it, and they felt they needed to give Conor a chance to make life-changing money and hope he's greatful enough to defend his UFC LW belt a couple times. If he says he wants to box again, the UFC will tell him to gently caress off.

If there is any cause for a rematch the UFC will almost certainly let McGregor fight in it as long as they get a cut of the money. Dana can't even guarantee the winner of Ferguson Lee for the Interim 155 belt gets a shot at Conor

https://twitter.com/bokamotoespn/status/900900082626682883

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Do you think Conor will have problems with his hands catching fire when he throws his punches.

Nah cause he'll put the fire out by smothering it on Mayweather's face.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 25, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hot take: Floyd could beat Conor in a cage match

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
BEat him off

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

That would cause Conor to cum, thus rendering Floyd the victor under the Unified Mixed Martial Arts ruleset.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Can't imagine the stress that guy is feeling this week between Jon Jones, promoting this fight and needing it to be a success, and the very real possibility that his meal ticket could get completely embarrassed.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
They should just keep trying Conor's luck in different 1v1 sports against past-their-prime stars. I'd watch a Mcenroe/McGregor singles match.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MixMasterMalaria posted:

They should just keep trying Conor's luck in different 1v1 sports against past-their-prime stars. I'd watch a Mcenroe/McGregor singles match.

Conor vs Kasparov

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sigmachiev posted:

Can't imagine the stress that guy is feeling this week between Jon Jones, promoting this fight and needing it to be a success, and the very real possibility that his meal ticket could get completely embarrassed.

There's no outcome where an amateur boxer fights the greatest of his generation, gets a hundred mil and comes out embarrassed, particularly when it's accepted that the amateur boxer would literally kill the pro boxer in a real fight in under a minute.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's no outcome where an amateur boxer fights the greatest of his generation, gets a hundred mil and comes out embarrassed, particularly when it's accepted that the amateur boxer would literally kill the pro boxer in a real fight in under a minute.

I think getting beaten, gassing out and eventually being finished on a large stage would be kind of embarassing, no matter how much he's getting paid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not when you're fighting the best boxer in the world in a boxing match.

When you're fighting a top 5 MMA lightweight who had 9 days notice who also talked better poo poo than you at MMA, that's embarrassing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MixMasterMalaria posted:

antonio inoki is still alive

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I think getting beaten, gassing out and eventually being finished on a large stage would be kind of embarassing, no matter how much he's getting paid.

people who feel shame about little things like that are destined to be computer programmers and not athletes im afraid

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

What was the heavyweight boxing match recently where the guy kept getting up from the bell at the last conceivable second in the clear hope that ref would stop it and he could protest it? The ref never did though, and he had to keep fighting a fridge sized man. It was just the other day, but everyone's name escapes me. Anyway, I can imagine that happening here. Or something like that. Something that lets him bow out but save face.

I feel there's a good chance of either this happening, or the corner throwing in the towel early and Conor pretends to get mad

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sigmachiev posted:

The only stress Dana is having over this fight is which neighbor to buy next.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

That would cause Conor to cum, thus rendering Floyd the victor under the Unified Mixed Martial Arts ruleset.

jftr small joint manipulation is still illegal

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

freud mayweather posted:

But there's no joint in the dick?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

threeagainstfour posted:

If there is any cause for a rematch the UFC will almost certainly let McGregor fight in it as long as they get a cut of the money. Dana can't even guarantee the winner of Ferguson Lee for the Interim 155 belt gets a shot at Conor

https://twitter.com/bokamotoespn/status/900900082626682883

He doesn't know because if Conor wants to fight Nate Diaz again, or GSP, or some other superfight he'll go along with it because they just want him back in the cage. The UFC is not going to let Conor box again.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why are none of Floyd's boxing titles on the line for this? I know they created that fake money belt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

Why are none of Floyd's boxing titles on the line for this? I know they created that fake money belt.

He relinquished them with his retirement so he's not a champion at the moment.
Boxing is slightly more of a real sport than MMA so you actually have to defend your belt or arrange to do so within a set time frame or you lose it.

That slightly more of a real sport advantage is kind of wiped out by the fact that they have 800 different versions of the same belt because the boxing bodies are all poo poo and won't unify but eh

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The bout approaches.

I feel close to the punchsports.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I.N.R.I posted:

people who feel shame about little things like that are destined to be computer programmers and not athletes im afraid

Actually it's not uncommon that athletes are afraid of being embarrassed on a big stage. Phil Jackson wrote about it in his autobiography and how public embarrassment was one of the fears that his players had to deal with.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

freud mayweather posted:

[Extremely Fatherdog Voice] Nope.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think it was Jose Torres who said he only got knocked out once and then retired, because he couldn't stand to have his little boy see him helpless in the ring. Michael moore said something similar leaving the venue after fighting foreman, these young men often have very young children and this weighs on them :smith:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think McGreggor can forgive himself if he gets outclassed by Mayweather. But not showing enough heart isn't something that he would want. For that reason I don't think he will quit on the stool and his corner won't throw in the towel for him.

And out of curiosity I don't think anybody in his corner on Saturday has ever been in a boxing match either so they are going to be clueless for any kind of guidance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Vladimir Putin posted:

But not showing enough heart isn't something that he would want.
And yet he still shot in on Diaz after getting drubbed.

quote:

And out of curiosity I don't think anybody in his corner on Saturday has ever been in a boxing match either so they are going to be clueless for any kind of guidance.

His corner had no advice for how adjust to Nate in an MMA match, either.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Fair enough, wanna toxx on this
What's that mean

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
"We're a part of this too!" yell ringside doctors, in the fashion of ringside doctors. "Everyone stand around and stop fighting while we walk around and look important. We're important men. Look here. We have nice suits on" say ringside doctors in New statement.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

attackmole posted:

Floyd is a worse human being probably, but Jones is more unlikable. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense.

Floyd still has a consistent shtick despite being a horrible person. Meanwhile Jones fucks up everything and but isn't even that fun to hate on because he's so weird and mumbly and nonsensical.

Actually, yeah, this. Jones personality is just so annoying, and his propensity for loving up when he could have coasted his way to GOAT status is exasperating.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DaFrugalGamer posted:

What's that mean

You post the toxx smiley and say that you think Conor will win and if he loses you get banned.

Like this:
:toxx: Mayweather will win

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:toxx: Mayweather will win

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God I hate myself for paying to see this. The only way I am justifying it in my mind is I will buy a movie ticket to see something else and then sneak into this instead.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

drat it would be really embarrassing, Doctor THOT, if anyone knew you'd seen the fight that every person on earth is going to watch.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That doesn't make it any less of an international embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Numero6 posted:

But there's no joint in the dick?

joint is sometimes slang for "penis"

i thought that would track

• Locked thread