Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Frieza wasn't built to have an undetectable power. In fact, I bet if he was, he'd throw a tantrum until it was turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How would you build a robot to have detectable chi?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

sassassin posted:

So it can brag about its power level.

EDIT: Disregard that, I can't read. I thought you wrote "why".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sassassin posted:

There's literally a cyborg in the sequence that prompted this discussion.

All filler is canon. Read the text as it exists.

if you read the text, garlick jr isn't there

if you watch the show, he is (unless you watched kai in which case he still isn't)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

sassassin posted:

By not putting a dampener on the ki being made by all of the fleshy bits. Especially when Cyborg Frieza was basically just Frieza wearing fancy prosthetics, since he can basically stay alive through anything short of atomization.

Cyborg Frieza and the Androids are two very different cups of coffee.

Also, yeah, with Kai and Super, at the very least Toei and Toriyama have been showing that some filler (Gregory, Bardock) is more legit in their canon than other filler (Garlic Jr, Broly).

The Bee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cyborg Frieza looks so cheap compared to pretty much every other cyborg or android we see in the series. It's like they were just randomly bolting on parts to see what worked.

King Cold wanted to see his son revived, but he didn't want to spend a lot of money.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

sassassin posted:

There's literally a cyborg in the sequence that prompted this discussion.

All filler is canon. Read the text as it exists.

Too obvious 2/10

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you read the text, garlick jr isn't there

if you watch the show, he is (unless you watched kai in which case he still isn't)

'Reading the text' in my post refers to the act of interpreting the show Dragonball Z, not literally reading a printed text that it was adapted from sorry for the confusion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was a joke

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The problem with "reading the text" is when there's multiple texts out there that aren't necessarily contradictory but not identical either. Or sometimes they are contradictory, in the case of the movies.

It's a thing I find neat about Super, though. It has a touch of oral story-telling tradition, having a story change as it is told to and then told by different people. Not exactly the first time an anime and manga covered the same base material while going in different directions but it's still more interesting to see how these same-but-different stories work out rather than trying to fit things into "canon" and "not canon" categories.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Good episode and one that demonstrates what everyone probably already guessed would be the case: Zeno doesn't really care about the rules and just wants to see cool poo poo happen

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rhonne posted:

Cyborg Frieza looks so cheap compared to pretty much every other cyborg or android we see in the series. It's like they were just randomly bolting on parts to see what worked.

King Cold wanted to see his son revived, but he didn't want to spend a lot of money.

Well, he is a capitalist. Or was, anyway.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rhonne posted:

Dr. Gero was the 2nd greatest scientist in the entire universe, nobody in frieza's army came even close

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So does Roshi now have God Ki? Did Goku give him some unused God Ki and thus Roshi could be the first human to use God Ki in his huge form or a kamehameha?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CharlestonJew posted:

Dr. Gero was the 2nd greatest scientist in the entire universe, nobody in frieza's army came even close

Freeza's army managed to make a machine that could assemble a 100% completely functional living person out of a collection of giblets.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Dr. Gero saw a kid fight and made robots that outclassed the strongest fighter in the universe.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like to imagine, before he recognized a pattern, Gero was making a new Android that would for sure be able to take down Goku - and then his scouting units detected Goku's latest bullshit powerup and Gero had to start from scratch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Freeza's army managed to make a machine that could assemble a 100% completely functional living person out of a collection of giblets.

That was more on Freeza's biology then their machines.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This episode: Roshi teaches us all about the virtues of nofap.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Frieza is a horrible space monster that could probably live as an eyeball and part of his butt.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TrilliontonNixon posted:

This episode: Roshi teaches us all about the virtues of nofap.

Turtle Mindset

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was more on Freeza's biology then their machines.

Freeza's biology let him survive as a pile of giblets, but they still had to put him in the Healing Washing Machine that somehow reassembled him into a functional Space Emperor.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Was really hoping Goku & Krillin figured out who Jackie Chun was this episode.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't someone call that roshi creeping on a lady would cause her to eliminate herself by jumping off the edge

whoever they were, they nailed it

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Great episode again like 90% of the ToP has been. Super has been such a treat as a fan of dragonball since it was a Saturday morning cartoon that just replayed the Sayan saga over and over. I feel like there have been at least 10 times in Super where I've thought: "If this is the last time I ever see this character, I am satisfied," and then it just keeps giving.

I love how the lore is so ingrained in everyone's minds now, that the teaser of last weeks episode instantly set off a "wuuuuh it's an item!" discussion and then they no sell it in 45 seconds and get right back to the action. Just like they did with Red Goku last week. They know what they are doing with that stuff. Although, I feel like this episode they did it to set some precedents for bullshit justifications that will come later.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
episode was cool

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

they missed an opportunity to have a character die and have the emotional beat work in the anime where people dieing merely gives you a Fashion Headset item.

Like really, what would have been the downside of Roshi dieing if we know that either U7 is gonna survive and can wish him (and King Kai) back to life, or everything in the tournament will get reversed by the end of it.

As bad as GT was at least Piccolo stayed dead making his farewell to Gohan more significant.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Shadow lady mindfuck battle was cool too, I would have liked if we had more of than instead of Ganos.

I laughed at Roshi saying his team is full of raging morons that would get duped by the most simple of tricks so it falls to him to take care of such opponents. Savage, but true. Even Gohan defeated a No Sell Punches opponent by punching harder in a slightly tilted angle

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
to be honest I thought he was going to die and that worked just as well as him actually dying

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I see that Master Roshi has followed the teachings of Chapo Trap House in that volcel makes you very powerful

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I'm glad only one of the woman warriors tried to seduce Roshi, I was worried both of them would. Though, still kinda hosed that he essentially threatened to rape the energy weapon girl.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I'm glad only one of the woman warriors tried to seduce Roshi, I was worried both of them would. Though, still kinda hosed that he essentially threatened to rape the energy weapon girl.

Yeah, that was...hosed. The whole "he's a pervert, it's a joke" thing just isn't funny anymore. Maybe it's that I'm not a teenager. That part creeped me out and it would have been salvagable if they didn't do that joke and just had him knock her out with an attack while she was stunned.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
This episode was great, and Roshi was awesome. Ganos' tengu swole form was kinda cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

StrifeHira posted:

This episode was great, and Roshi was awesome. Ganos' tengu swole form was kinda cool.

I don't that was a good design. Definite downgrade in his appearance. It was a good episode, though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That part was bizarre to me since he's supposed to be a spy, and evidently a pretty good one if Whis or Beerus couldn't tell he was there. Wouldn't he have something more subtle?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I was cheering for Super Birdman in the second half of that episode tbh.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The design was ok, but it clashed with the spy theme to have him be a loud roaring hulking electric bird person, unless they were aiming for the Zabon/Brienne trope subversion again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the lightning powers clash more with the spy theme than turning into big bird

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Covok posted:

I don't that was a good design. Definite downgrade in his appearance. It was a good episode, though.

It'd work if he had a beak in his first form.

It's a fun episode, but very much one about getting in the dude's spots before the main event kicks off. They can eliminate Roshi with a quickness next episode and still send the crowd home happy.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
At least Master Roshi only eliminated 3 people from different universes instead of 4+. So it's only mostly a joke that the weakest member of universe 7 can beat multiple warriors from other universes.

He also beat them mostly by tactics instead of just punching them, including the prime tactic of 'threatening someone with Rape to make them jump off the stage'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vegeta calling Goku out in the manga version.