Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I unironically hope there's an episode in the future where Krillin, Bulma, and everyone else sit Roshi down to discuss his problematic, gross behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Vegeta is the Sam to Goku's Frodo

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Universe 4 is going down next, since the only fighter we knew anything about before the tournament just got taken out. That leaves the robot universe as the last jobber universe (I think?)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I unironically hope there's an episode in the future where Krillin, Bulma, and everyone else sit Roshi down to discuss his problematic, gross behavior.

His problematic, gross behavior just saved Universe 7 :colbert:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't someone call that roshi creeping on a lady would cause her to eliminate herself by jumping off the edge

whoever they were, they nailed it

That went super too far because it didn't really feel like Toriyama wrote it. If he did, it probably wouldn't have crossed the line it felt like it did from Roshi shenanigans to ehhugh.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Neo_Crimson posted:

Universe 4 is going down next, since the only fighter we knew anything about before the tournament just got taken out. That leaves the robot universe as the last jobber universe (I think?)

To be fair, the only fighter we knew anything about from U10 got knocked out midway through, and the last remaining U10 fighter was a complete extra (and even got some last minute characterization).

U4 will probably be the next eliminated cause it's the last of the low threat universes. Then U3->U2->U6->U7 and U11 will win.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/dril/status/878443554632323073

https://twitter.com/dril/status/883172851142053889

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Apart from that one scene it was pretty great Roshi doing more than just punchman tactics to beat his opponents. They did had me going for a second that Roshi would kick the bucket. As some other poster said it would've been more impactful if he did.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 27, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

This episode was great - I seriously thought they were going to kill Roshi off there. Could have done without the gross rapey part though. The fights were overall a lot more fun and interesting with Roshi than the beamspam that pretty much everyone else has been doing. It felt like OG Dragonball in a good way.

Now I can't wait for the next episode with animation previews like these!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Roshi's old man tactics were great, I agree, but I sorta wish Monstrous Tengu-form U4 kid used some beam to fight back the Kamehameha instead of getting wrecked while using completely useless lightning

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lol so its canon now that krillin isnt even the strongest normal human. eat poo poo baldy

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That episode loving ruled.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Muscle Roshi is the best transformation in all of Dragon Ball.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This episode better get Roshi into every DB fighting game from here on out

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Next chapter: Goku calls the Nimbus, finds he can't ride it anymore, but Vegeta can.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good episode.

But I'm eager for the real poo poo to get started. We still havent seen the U6 Namekians. Freeza still hasnt done much, We havent seen Frost in a while. Piccolo just hanging around.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Calibanibal posted:

lol so its canon now that krillin isnt even the strongest normal human. eat poo poo baldy

It's always been canon.

Master Roshi has always been the most powerful human.

Toriyama just forgot to tell everyone. :v:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He's been lazy, he's got different priorities, and a good teacher doesn't solve his students problems for them. That said, Raditz and the Saibamen was probably the last time Roshi could have really done much anyway.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

After thinking about it I realized just how much this is the definitive Power Levels are Bullshit episode. Master Roshi stopped being relevant before Dragonball even turned into Z. Sure he beat up a few goons in Resurrection F, but so did everyone on the B-team. They did make an effort to show him training here and there throughout the series, and he even had a line about taking out foes with tactics because he doesn't have Goku's saiyan retard strength, but that is still an absolutely massive jump to be able to play with the big boys.

And you know what? It doesn't matter and this episode loving ruled anyway. Roshi kicked all kinds of rear end and pulled out his crazy Dragonball tactics. He hit the climax (heh) of his Super era character development...then reverted it all for the sake of a gag, just as predicted. Despite that he still managed to come across as serious and badass. Also his death was one of the saddest moments in Super, and you could really tell how hard Krillin and Goku were affected by the sight.

Super consistently surprises me with how well it's written for a dumb punchman shonen. Bringing Roshi back and treating his character like this was clearly a great move and this is probably the best ToP episode since Frieza's recruitment episode.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Obviously at the start of next episode, Frost will run in out of nowhere and shove Roshi out of the arena. This will occur at some point during every non-Goku focused episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He was definitely stronger than King Piccolo, but only going all out which he can't do much, as we see here.

Radtiz would be the point where he redlines until secret training.

Jesus Christ what a nightmare universe Universe 7 must look to everyone else. Some old geezer just took out THREE of the best warriors of another universe and he's still in the fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope when universe 4 gets erased xeno (zeno? I've seen both and I'm still not sure) also erases anyone that carries on the tradition of mousemans stupid laugh

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The other universes feel like they have a lot of younger fighters, while everyone on U7 is middle-aged or older. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them could shoot past Goku and Vegeta eventually if they got similar training, and that might be an argument Goku himself uses to Zeno at the end of all this.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

that scene where Roshi implied rape against the one U4 fighter sure was cringeworthy :stonk:

but overall good episode, was kinda rooting for the Giant Birdman though

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Burkion posted:

He was definitely stronger than King Piccolo, but only going all out which he can't do much, as we see here.

Radtiz would be the point where he redlines until secret training.

Jesus Christ what a nightmare universe Universe 7 must look to everyone else. Some old geezer just took out THREE of the best warriors of another universe and he's still in the fight.

He might be an old man, a pervert, but he's still a Martial Arts Master and that counts for a lot.

The kid using lightning is fitting, given the Turtle-Style Last Resort is a lightning attack.

...Huh. Went looking for 'Turtle-Style Last Resort' and find this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiWc-EEEBds

Which only justifies the result MORE.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

but seriously it was really touching that Goku and Krillin got all teary-eyed over their teacher dying, that got to me a little bit :unsmith:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh my loving god the dub continues to be incredible.

https://twitter.com/MsDBZbabe/status/901646500924723201

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

havenwaters posted:

Piccolo has been thinking about this for a long time apparently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Great episode. Good Roshi.
Heartwarming with Big Gokes too

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Now I want filler episodes of Piccolo looking for a strong willed wife

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
a saiyan prince would never act like that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Vegeta's voice... oh my god. Christ. It still sounds like a bad Brian Drummond impersonation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJHs-Q6SwA

Piccolo isn't bad though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

havenwaters posted:

I remember the fansubs that I had for this scene were some incomprehensible nonsense.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Those fansubs are also amazing. Incomprehensible but well at least piccolo gets it.

Edit: Also wasn't Crunchyroll subbing the show at that point?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC Crunchyroll didn't start subbing it until we were already a few episodes into the Future Trunks stuff.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:rip: master roshi

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

IIRC Crunchyroll didn't start subbing it until we were already a few episodes into the Future Trunks stuff.

They started in the 60's, if I recall correctly.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Good episode.

But I'm eager for the real poo poo to get started. We still havent seen the U6 Namekians. Freeza still hasnt done much, We havent seen Frost in a while. Piccolo just hanging around.

Well, it's only been 15 minutes of 48. Unless they finish this before the time limit ends.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They started in the 60's, if I recall correctly.

i misread what you meant and thought this was some sort of high-level joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Piccolo has been thinking about this for a long time apparently.

It reminds me of how Ben and Chris are trying to figure out why Gale married Gary/Jerry/Larry on Parks and Rec. 😂 I was kinda sad that the audience knew but they never figured it out.