Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zen-Oh can't count the number of universes he has under his dominion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

multijoe posted:

can only count to 5
tournament to reduce number of universes to 5

:thunk:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This episode was pretty loving stellar, I kinda missed the implication of rape from Roshi and thought the lady just misunderstood his "I'm gonna shove you up with all my strength" threat as lecherous, but Roshi saw no reason to correct her.

I mean, I stay more sane reasoning it away that way, but it's pretty gross that the simpler implication was just rape. Blergh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jesus christ who let these scrubs enter a real tournament?

gently caress off rapist Roshi.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lupus Rufus posted:

I was cheering for Super Birdman in the second half of that episode tbh.

Same.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordaedil posted:

This episode was pretty loving stellar, I kinda missed the implication of rape from Roshi and thought the lady just misunderstood his "I'm gonna shove you up with all my strength" threat as lecherous, but Roshi saw no reason to correct her.

I mean, I stay more sane reasoning it away that way, but it's pretty gross that the simpler implication was just rape. Blergh.

So Krillin's "He was just joking, right... right?" just flew over your head, too?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I thought it was a pretty lame episode honestly. However many universes fighting each other and lovely old master roshi knocks out 3 people in like 2 minutes, which is more knockouts than most other universes combined. I wanted gonzo or whatever to knock him out and become a legit threat for the stronger z fighters, not just "roshi puts everything into one last kamehameha and it makes him win! Goodby- lol jk Goku can revive people".

It just felt dumb and predictable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Alan_Shore posted:

Vegeta's voice... oh my god. Christ. It still sounds like a bad Brian Drummond impersonation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJHs-Q6SwA

Piccolo isn't bad though.

EDIT I saw you said still so you probably already know, oh well I'll leave this in anyway

Fun fact it actually did basically start as a Brian Drummond impression. If I remember right Sabat was supposed to mimic the Ocean dub. Over time he made it more of his own voice, and it's clear because it sounds much more natural than his early Vegeta in the 90s.

Pretty sure Piccolo won't be looking for a wife because Namekian reproduction involves becoming huge and puking out lots of eggs like some hideous humanoid termite queen. That "At last I understand?" shocked Piccolo is prime avatar material though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Goku had to revive Roshi because if he didn't then Roshi would of been DQ'd for killing himself.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why is Roshi the old man who is definitely not winning this thing still in this tournament when he died

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a.lo posted:

Why is Roshi the old man who is definitely not winning this thing still in this tournament when he died

OLD MEN NEVER DIE

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
So I noticed in the next episode preview there's lots of shots of Vegeta going blue but Goku is still in base form. I'm guessing he used a lot of his god energy reviving Roshi and it's gonna cause some problems down the line

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I figured Ganos would pull off a last-second save but I guess Mouser will laugh his last kekekeee soon enough.

Kinda hope a U7 member gets ringed out soon just to raise the stacks a bit more. Next episode seems to have a slight Tien focus so maybe he'll get dusted in the first three minutes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

a.lo posted:

Fanservice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a.lo posted:

he un died before someone could kick his rear end off the stage
its not that complex tbh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kept waiting for Frost to show up and kick Roshi off.

loving Christ Krillin, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Meanwhile, Tien is finally going to come back from his poker game with 18, Frost and the other No Screen Time Players

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Burkion posted:

Yeah, it sucks in a lot of ways, but at this point I'm convinced it was necessary and the best decision. At the end of the day, Krillin has the most personality of anyone on the team and history with all of the members. He is the perfect co-commentator to be next to Beerus and Whis for all the fights. The way he went out was good for the show too. It suggests he totally could have split some more wigs if he didn't get cheap shotted, leaving power level arguments nebulous.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

psymonkey posted:

Yeah, it sucks in a lot of ways, but at this point I'm convinced it was necessary and the best decision. At the end of the day, Krillin has the most personality of anyone on the team and history with all of the members. He is the perfect co-commentator to be next to Beerus and Whis for all the fights.

Vegeta would have been better.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Burkion posted:

I kept waiting for Frost to show up and kick Roshi off.

Meanwhile, Tien is finally going to come back from his poker game with 18, Frost and the other No Screen Time Players

I'm still really bummed about Krillin's poor showing, he was my favorite character as a kid. Poor guy has been one of the most disappointing characters since early DBZ - first on Namek his biggest role in the story is functioning as Goku's damsel in distress. Then he lets his boner get in the way of stopping the Androids. Then he basically gets written out of the story entirely in the Buu saga by Dabura spitting on him. Then in Super he gets legit hurt by a bullet, when he used to tank Launch's bullets as a child. Then finally, when it appears that he'll have a chance to shine without Saiyans getting in the way, he has a couple of mediocre fights before getting ganked by a Frieza clone.

Say what you will about Tien or Piccolo not getting many moments to shine in Z but at least they got to keep their dignity. I see why DBZA chose him to have an 'owned' counter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh he got two people out and saved one of their better fighters from elimination. anyone but the saiyans/androids and maybe piccolo would have lost to frost in a real fight anyway. getting knocked out by a suckerpunch was pretty lame but at least he didn't job to the trio de danger or w/e

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The one thing I didn't like was 18 joining in the making GBS threads on him after he had been eliminated.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Master Roshi wouldn't have so much trouble with pent up desires if he got a JO crystal to share with his bros.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I looked up that scene and yikes. Please save us, dub writers.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I looked up that scene and yikes. Please save us, dub writers.

Yeah I don't know what it is about DBS Roshi but his perv side feels less...innocent? Playful? Whatever and much more sinister and rapey. Even in Dragonball it wasn't as bad, and that show had Bulma flashing him while underage and Roshi sneaking into the bathroom while Bulma was on the toilet. I think it's because in Dragonball and Z, he always got his comeuppance. In Super, there's either no karmic payback or not enough.

Like how much better would that disturbing Puar and Roshi "training" scene be if a shapeshifted Puar kicked his rear end? Or turned into a big ugly Bactrian looking dude the second Roshi made contact?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

The one thing I didn't like was 18 joining in the making GBS threads on him after he had been eliminated.

it felt in character for her
meek joined at the hip to maron 18 is poo poo
smug cell era fighting 18 is good

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So Frieza threatens people off the arena with torture, and roshi, a well known pervert...This is where we draw the line?

Either way, I did like how Roshi's still got it, and he's willing to die to make sure the team wins. I liked that part at the end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fargin Icehole posted:

So Frieza threatens people off the arena with torture, and roshi, a well known pervert...This is where we draw the line?

Freeza is explicitly a villain, Roshi is supposed to be one of the good guys. Not exactly an arbitrary distinction.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

extra row of teeth posted:

Yeah I don't know what it is about DBS Roshi but his perv side feels less...innocent? Playful? Whatever and much more sinister and rapey. Even in Dragonball it wasn't as bad, and that show had Bulma flashing him while underage and Roshi sneaking into the bathroom while Bulma was on the toilet. I think it's because in Dragonball and Z, he always got his comeuppance. In Super, there's either no karmic payback or not enough.

Like how much better would that disturbing Puar and Roshi "training" scene be if a shapeshifted Puar kicked his rear end? Or turned into a big ugly Bactrian looking dude the second Roshi made contact?

The framing doesn't help either. I imagine if Roshi appeared in the bathroom door on fire while Bulma cowered and screamed in the corner, the scene would've felt way different.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Enourmo posted:

Freeza is explicitly a villain, Roshi is supposed to be one of the good guys. Not exactly an arbitrary distinction.

Good point. I'm just looking at it from the perspective from the other universe spectators. They think everyone in U7 is a goddamn menace

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's half that Roshi's weirdly more aggressive and half that the punchline has shifted from Haha, look at this old pervert get yelled at and slapped! to Haha, look at this old pervert full stop. It used to be that the joke was him getting comeuppance in that classic Anime Goof way but now it's just that you're supposed to laugh because women are legit terrified of him.

either way I still agree with my pre-ToP sentiment that he should have just hosed off if this is what they were going to do with the character

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Bee posted:

The framing doesn't help either. I imagine if Roshi appeared in the bathroom door on fire while Bulma cowered and screamed in the corner, the scene would've felt way different.

Exactly, his actions are those of a rapist now, not a pervert.

Previously we had a weak, wizened old man grasping at breasts and getting nose bleeds, now it's a seven foot tall roided out monster backing girls into corners and telling them he's going to have them physically, while they scream and cower.

"I don't know what it is about DBS Roshi ..." lol.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Good point. I'm just looking at it from the perspective from the other universe spectators. They think everyone in U7 is a goddamn menace

Hey, at least the man with deadly stinky socks is gone.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Roshi's actions seemed like a bluff, he didn't actually lay a hand on her. She freaked out and ran off the stage. She used a form of "seduction," he used a form of "intimidation." And no, it wasn't a good scene, either way, but we've always known Roshi was a perv, and the writers were going to work that angle into the tournament somehow. I thought Roshi's "training" sequence with Puar was way more creepy.

Still a pretty good episode overall, Roshi vs. Talisman master and Howard the Duck was a lot of fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DBS Roshi si genuinely pretty lovely and I hope this is the last significant screentime he has.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't know if anything they could just wish Roshi back to life if they had to

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

a.lo posted:

I don't know if anything they could just wish Roshi back to life if they had to

Right? I would've been cool with the fourth opponent killing him while he was down or something, just to get that person disqualified.

His plan was to take as many as he could, that would've been a pretty good out, and it would've strengthened Goku's resolve to take this seriously

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

lol Roshi is fine

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Do the earth balls still have the "no repeats" restriction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roshi should have been replaced with Cell.

Also, him not being Jackie Chun during this tournament is a waste. Jackie Chun isn't rapey, etc. and would be a much better choice and comedic play.