Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Do the earth balls still have the "no repeats" restriction?

I don't think so plus it's three wishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jackie Chun had less chances to really be a pervert

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

a.lo posted:

I don't know if anything they could just wish Roshi back to life if they had to

Could they though? King Yemma asked that they find a way for Friiza to die away from earth, so he wouldn't be have to deal with him again in the afterlife. And also, throwing an energy blast so hard it kills you is more like natural causes than it is being killed. Unless they used the super dragonball wish for that, I think he'd have been out forever. Which is why he left Goku and Krillin with that speech.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I honestly thought Roshi was just saying he was gonna kick her rear end with his newfound nofap powers, very disappointed to see Kawii concede to preserve her maidenhood

I want more The Golden One Roshi and less Roosh Roshi basically

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Jedah posted:

Roshi's actions seemed like a bluff, he didn't actually lay a hand on her. She freaked out and ran off the stage. She used a form of "seduction," he used a form of "intimidation." And no, it wasn't a good scene, either way, but we've always known Roshi was a perv, and the writers were going to work that angle into the tournament somehow. I thought Roshi's "training" sequence with Puar was way more creepy.

Still a pretty good episode overall, Roshi vs. Talisman master and Howard the Duck was a lot of fun.

This is exactly the right answer. I can't believe so many people are making a fuss over it. This is a dumb cartoon about fighting for universal survival. If women are gonna use sex as a weapon why not men? Everyone knows what Master Roshi is about. He's been the strongest guy on the planet for most of his life. If he ever actually wanted to go around imposing himself on others he could have. She was literally using sex as a weapon to destroy universes. Please don't get white knighty over cartoon one off characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Could they though? King Yemma asked that they find a way for Friiza to die away from earth, so he wouldn't be have to deal with him again in the afterlife. And also, throwing an energy blast so hard it kills you is more like natural causes than it is being killed. Unless they used the super dragonball wish for that, I think he'd have been out forever. Which is why he left Goku and Krillin with that speech.

they used the earth dragon balls to revive people on namek, including the elder that basically died from natural causes. they could totally wish roshi back if he'd died

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A threat of rape isn't exactly the same as an attempt at seduction, and it's okay for people to kinda not be cool with the former.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

psymonkey posted:

This is exactly the right answer. I can't believe so many people are making a fuss over it. This is a dumb cartoon about fighting for universal survival. If women are gonna use sex as a weapon why not men?

:yikes:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

psymonkey posted:

If women are gonna use sex as a weapon why not men?

jfc

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

More here: http://imgur.com/gallery/uxODU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Do you guys actually have anything to say about it within the context of dumb cartoon universe survival tournament or are you just gonna make little quips?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

A threat of rape isn't exactly the same as an attempt at seduction, and it's okay for people to kinda not be cool with the former.

I must have missed when Roshi threatened to rape anyone this episode? Or any episode?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why couldn't Roshi just die and the rest of the cast just forget about him

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I must have missed when Roshi threatened to rape anyone this episode? Or any episode?

the entire sequence where he bulks up and says "you seduced me, don't blame me for what happens" is pretty blatant my dude

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Listen, if it can be interpreted as threatening rape, it was in no way a good idea to write it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

"If you try to seduce me when I'm like this, don't blame me for what happens"

Like, there's not really many ways to read that

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roshi's fight with not-Flea was way creepier than it had any right to be. DBS does not rape threats as punchlines, Toei.

But his following fights with magic ninja lady and Birdperson were really good. I hope the remaining Chrono Trigger universe fighters are at least somewhat strong so we can see weird poo poo like that versus the stronger punchmans from other universes.

Saagonsa posted:

"If you try to seduce me when I'm like this, don't blame me for what happens"

Like, there's not really many ways to read that

Especially with her saying afterward "He's going to make me unfit to be a wife!" Like that's about as explicit as you can get without him literally saying he's going to rape her.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

psymonkey posted:

Please don't get white knighty over cartoon one off characters.

Bad things should be called out as being bad literally anywhere, sorry.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Opinion 1:guys guys, she was totes assskin for it.

Reply 1: You loving rear end in a top hat monster, die forever

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

This but unironically

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fargin Icehole posted:

Goku:guys guys, let's have some fun fights!.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hmm, I don't think anyone actually said either of those things.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

she totally ran away from him to be erased from existence

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Yes, I think we can all agree it was not a good scene. The episode would have been better if it was just Roshi vs. Talisman lady and Howard the Duck. Can we stop arguing about it now? For better or worse, Roshi has always been a perv. Krillin literally brought him dirty magazines as a gift when he started training under him.

If we're calling out "bad things," how about a pair of god-children committing mass genocide on a universal scale, and showing zero remorse for their actions?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the comical misunderstanding that roshi was going to violate her only makes sense to the audience because roshi is the kind of character who would plausibly do that

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jedah posted:

If we're calling out "bad things," how about a pair of god-children committing mass genocide on a universal scale, and showing zero remorse for their actions?

We've talked about that a lot before. Please go on.

All Gods must die.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I saw this episode last night but didn't Roshi fall backwards but showed him face down in the next scene

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like any discussion where you have to agree with sassassin on wrt Dragonball, maybe requires a re-evaluation.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jedah posted:

Yes, I think we can all agree it was not a good scene. The episode would have been better if it was just Roshi vs. Talisman lady and Howard the Duck. Can we stop arguing about it now? For better or worse, Roshi has always been a perv. Krillin literally brought him dirty magazines as a gift when he started training under him.

Roshi always being a perv is really not a good excuse. I mean, remember in og Dragonball when Bulma flashed her vagina at him in exchange for a dragonball? And she was like 14?? The way they sexualized teen Bulma was always creepy as gently caress.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jedah posted:

Those aren't equivalent situations. One is a made up scenario for a silly punchmans show, the other is a realistic possibility for around half of the population.

Roshi "always having been a perv" doesn't make his creepy behavior any less bad, and even if it did, this episode took it further than it had ever gone before.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I have multiple friends I wouldn't be comfortable (or even morally capable) watching Roshi episodes with. I know far fewer people irl who've had their universe erased.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Those aren't equivalent situations. One is a made up scenario for a silly punchmans show, the other is a realistic possibility for around half of the population.

Yeah I also hate it when god-children and start erasing my universe. It's really inconvenient.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Threatening Roshi scene was bad. Maybe less bad than some of the other scenes like the one with Tien's stalker, but still bad. Like, it's clear he wouldn't fuckin' rape the girl and it was more an intimidation tactic for a bunch of reasons (it's shonen, Roshi is a lecherous gently caress but not outright violent rapist), but just the fact that it was used as an intimidation tactic is trash and plays to his weird perv side. Hell, Krillin goes "he was just fakin' it! probably", it's the intended reading there.

It kinda sucks that scene was in there because everything else about Roshi in this episode was dope. He demonstrated why he made the team by dealing with the clever poo poo Goku wouldn't be able to handle, fought pretty much like you'd expect from the wise kung-fu master against eager newbies and even got a nice fake sendout showing he's actually TRYING again. It's really cool, and again, that "i haven't fapped and you made me pissed so it's your fault whatever happens" scene kinda sours the tone of a really good episode.

Anyway, I'm starting to think they'll save U7 eliminations for straight-up fights/ganks from either U6 or the Toppo Squad. Piccolo getting punched out by Cooler Piccolo or A Fuckin' Saiyan would be fitting, and I'm sure Frost will be a gently caress and snipe someone else before this is all said and done.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

multijoe posted:

I honestly thought Roshi was just saying he was gonna kick her rear end with his newfound nofap powers,

He was, but her buddy was the 4th Universe spy and probably saw his recruitment episode. Who wouldn't assume the worst?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I dunno, he called her bluff, he won.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Koalas March posted:

Roshi always being a perv is really not a good excuse. I mean, remember in og Dragonball when Bulma flashed her vagina at him in exchange for a dragonball? And she was like 14?? The way they sexualized teen Bulma was always creepy as gently caress.

Oh I agree, sexualizing underage Bulma was weird as gently caress and super creepy.

I had a conversation about interjecting this kind of perverted writing into manga with a Japanese-English translator, and his explanation was basically that sexual norms are much different in Japan. Of course, that doesn't make it OK, but it might at least account for why Roshi being a perv hasn't triggered widespread outrage from the Japanese fanbase. This happens in other popular manga, too. Takamura from Hajime No Ippo is a notorious pervert who does all kinds of creepy poo poo.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Japan's lack of progress on that front is a noted and major issue.

But, I mean, yeah, I thought the episode was real good otherwise, which is part of the reason that scene is so annoying. It made an otherwise amazing episode a lot harder to like the morning after. Roshi's consistently entertaining when he's just an old wise man with a pocket full of neato techniques.

Really, the perversion is a rotton, low-hanging fruit they keep leaning on to get a laugh they don't need or deserve.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd rather he just chicken out of attacking her and 18 take her out plain and simple. The other two fights Roshi had were infinitely better and less cringe worthy, but here we are.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jedah posted:

Oh I agree, sexualizing underage Bulma was weird as gently caress and super creepy.

I had a conversation about interjecting this kind of perverted writing into manga with a Japanese-English translator, and his explanation was basically that sexual norms are much different in Japan. Of course, that doesn't make it OK, but it might at least account for why Roshi being a perv hasn't triggered widespread outrage from the Japanese fanbase. This happens in other popular manga, too. Takamura from Hajime No Ippo is a notorious pervert who does all kinds of creepy poo poo.

The one perv character I can kinda stand is Minata from My Hero Academia because at least he's an age-appropriate perv that looks like a sad sack of poo poo whenever he does it (also got out-perved by another perv character which is quite a bit creepier if you think about it). It's one of those tropes that slowly faded out from most Western media but still sticks around in Japanese stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Cran posted:

But, I mean, yeah, I thought the episode was real good otherwise, which is part of the reason that scene is so annoying. It made an otherwise amazing episode a lot harder to like the morning after. Roshi's consistently entertaining when he's just an old wise man with a pocket full of neato techniques.

:agreed: it would've been better if they cut out the whole seduction character altogether, and extended the Talisman battle to include more mind games and dark arts techniques. She was a very cool character concept, and a perfect opponent for someone like Roshi. Maybe add a scene where the other U7 fighters try to get involved in the battle, but her misdirection/magic confuses them or traps them, and it's up to Roshi to use the Mafuba to save his allies.