Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But Gendry is going to be married to a red headed giantess and co-manage nearly a half of the entire 7 kingdoms with her. At least according to the 100%, no way fake, spoilers we got. Dudes gonna be awesome and he did it all by simply hitting things with a hammer, running really fast, and I can only assume being only 3 inches shorter than Sansa so therefore the best suited husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

only 3 inches shorter than Sansa so therefore the best suited husband.

r.i.p. jon/sansa shippers

foiled by kit being a tiny man

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

But Gendry is going to be married to a red headed giantess and co-manage nearly a half of the entire 7 kingdoms with her. At least according to the 100%, no way fake, spoilers we got. Dudes gonna be awesome and he did it all by simply hitting things with a hammer, running really fast, and I can only assume being only 3 inches shorter than Sansa so therefore the best suited husband.

Perhaps we should get to work with Game of Bones 3

I have an idea

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Solice Kirsk posted:

She's not empowered because she's inherited all of her power from others just throwing it at her. It's like saying the spoiled rich kid that turned his daddy's loan of 5mil dollars into 6mil dollars over the course of 10 years is a financial genius.

What was thrown at her? She was forcibly married to Drogo. When Drogo died, almost all of his khalasar (or however that's spelled) abandoned her, and she had a small chunk of followers. The dragon eggs were legit given as a gift, so I'll give you that, but it was her own idea to put them in the funeral pyre and walk into it herself. She birthed them. Jorah served her because he thinks she's hot, and Barriston served her because of past loyalties (and Cersei and Joffrey being idiots), so you could call those "thrown" at her too. But her other resources?

Unsullied? She stole them, they weren't given to her.
Dothraki? She killed all the other khals and they followed her willingly. (in the book)(in the show)
The ships? Plundered from defeated foes.
Tyrion, Highgarden and Dorne? Joined her willingly because they wanted to use her to destroy their mutual enemies.

What was thrown at her, exactly? My memory is failing in this. Most of the people backing her are doing so because she's basically their last and best hope against people they loving hate, and I don't really call that "throwing resources at someone". Her name affords her a certain privilege with some, yes, but it makes at least an equal amount of people want her dead. All of her biggest resources she got through her own actions.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 27, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fhate posted:

Dothraki? She killed all the other khals and they followed her willingly. (in the book)

That never happened in the book?

But yeah, saying that it was thrown at her is not true, but we can say that her victories were mostly very easy

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

PupsOfWar posted:

r.i.p. jon/sansa shippers

foiled by kit being a tiny man

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Elias_Maluco posted:

But yeah, saying that it was thrown at her is not true, but we can say that her victories were mostly very easy

Well, no, it hasn't happened in the book, because that part of the show takes place after the last Daenerys scene in the book.

Edit: Oh, I see, where I meant to put "in the show" I put "in the book". D'oh!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Books ended with Danyrrhea.

The show tastefully left out the river of hot berry squirts.

Everything from Jorah finding her ring to them going to Vaes Dothrak is show-only.

lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is it bad I already had that saved on my phone?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

They were only easy because she won - which sounds like nonsense, but how do you judge how hard or easy a victory was. I'd say most of the things she did were "hard". Didn't she trek across some like endless desert? Not to mention

10 CLS
20 poo poo
30 DRINK WATER
40 EAT BERRIES
50 poo poo MORE
60 GOTO 20
70 PRINT "BOOK IS FINISHED!"

ok joking a bit there, but I mean, sure some of them were a bit stupid, and she sure seems blessed - but same with any of our "heroes". Jon gets a loving magic +10 Sword of Wight Slaying sword for simply doing his job. He has all the education and training of a noble - he even gets poo poo for it when shows up at the wall. Everyone important likes him, and those that don't aren't the ones in power. When he gets sent out to basically suicide with Mance, he gets miraculously saved. And speaking of miracles, he is literally raised from the dead. Oh and magic dire wolf, which I thought was important, but meh.

Tyrion gets poo poo on a lot, but is plot armored from here to heaven, same with Arya - she just happens to get chosen to be some magic assassin.

NihilCredo posted:

Not a rhetorical question: does it count as being empowered if the only reason you have power is that the plot people threw endless money, soldiers, advisors, and dragon eggs at you because of who your father was?

I made the mistake of googling "characteristics of empowered woman" and realized pretty quickly I lack the ability to research this in any depth. I will lose my loving mind. So I'm gonna go with what I know, and who knows maybe that is correct.

I see it as the opposite of being a victim - so it has nothing to do with privilege per se, or wealth in that having either does not discount you from being empowered. Personally I see it as "are you an agent of your own actions", which includes elements like personal growth, access to good information on which to base decisions, etc. Dictionary : "having qualities that give a person or a group of people the means to take more control of their lives and become stronger and more independent" - in that sense, Dany is 100% empowered.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Dany being born literally loving fireproof might've been a slight leg up for her.

Not many characters in the show are basically X-Men.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Dany being born literally loving fireproof might've been a slight leg up for her.

Not many characters in the show are basically X-Men.

I never got the impression she was born that way
think it's supposed to be something that was triggered or awakened in her on the night of her dragons' birth, by some combination of mirri's magic, sacrifice, dormant valyrian blood-alchemy, dany's force of will, drogo's kingsblood, the comet, etc

a bunch of targs (including dragonriders) have been burned to death in a bunch of different ways, so we can assume it ain't just a general trait that they get

imho the biggest stroke of luck/plot armor dany got was that she happened to get sold off to a dude whose name sounds so much like Dragon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Didn't GRRM already say her not being burned in the pyre was due to the blood magic? And a one time thing?

Besides, I thought she got her thighs all burned and cut up when she rode out of Meereen on Drogon.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Didn't see this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCERgbR9nk

Still watching (sad), so hmm some highlights until the 16th minute:
* George is afraid of the internet, thinks people should stop sending him hate mail
* George still goes on about how he doesn't get why people are shipping Sandor with Sansa and says the word SanSan

edit: oh obviously ignore the title cause he didn't say a single word about TWOW so far.

And Linda Antonssen nods in agreement about how horrible the internet is, seeing as how she is partially responsible for it being horrible.

at least she gets to watch clips of Virginia tiki torch marches over and over to cheer her up.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gimmedaroot posted:

And Linda Antonssen nods in agreement about how horrible the internet is, seeing as how she is partially responsible for it being horrible.

at least she gets to watch clips of Virginia tiki torch marches over and over to cheer her up.

"SanSan"

edit: is there someplace besides imgur I can link to? They have hosed up linking over there. [ unless I'm missing something obvious ]. Right now to get a good link I have to upload something, view it, then view source code to grab the actual image link.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 27, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Delete the 'v' from .gifv if it's a direct link afaik

e: disregard that i'm stoned

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

kcroy posted:

"SanSan"

edit: is there someplace besides imgur I can link to? They have hosed up linking over there. [ unless I'm missing something obvious ]. Right now to get a good link I have to upload something, view it, then view source code to grab the actual image link.

There's actually a way to get BBcode from the image, they kinda hid it for no good reason but if you hover over the top right edge of an uploaded image you'll get an option to 'get share links' and the BBcode option is there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd settle for SanSan

Better than Gendry and Sansa

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Only because GenSan is a lovely fan fic pairing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Didn't see this posted:

* George is afraid of the internet, thinks people should stop sending him hate mail
* George still goes on about how he doesn't get why people are shipping Sandor with Sansa and says the word SanSan

edit: oh obviously ignore the title cause he didn't say a single word about TWOW so far.

Any more highlights? Did he announce the date for WoW? Post the times of any fun parts.

I've been listening to Preston Jacobs run down the show for a hour. I think everyone will get more out of that than listening to this fat liar for a hour. I recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7K6lIj1fZA&t=180s

Some highlights to listen to.
6:50 Preston talking about how the internet has finally turned on GoT. It was the perfect storm of mistakes. Even his mom is calling him and saying it doesn't make sense. Things don't make sense on a macro level now, whereas before it used to be just on a micro level.
13:00 Talking about the director Alan Taylor's quote where he boils down all the criticism to complaining about the speed of a raven and he responds to that criticism by wondering why they're not bothered by dragons. Preston explains about violating in-universe logic. Likens it to playing a chess game and half way through, you take a pawn and move it across the board.
43:30 Whether or not George is to blame for the show being bad.
47:00 D & D doing the TV series about slavery

His review this week is also one of the best he's done for those that haven't seen it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i wonder if GRRM refused to do that interview unless he could have some sugary as gently caress soda instead of water like 99.9% of all other panel interviews i've ever seen

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's actually a way to get BBcode from the image, they kinda hid it for no good reason but if you hover over the top right edge of an uploaded image you'll get an option to 'get share links' and the BBcode option is there.

I think they hid it to force traffic to their site I think.

testing!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

some guy on the bus posted:

Any more highlights? Did he announce the date for WoW?

"It'll come out when it is finished", so sayeth Elio Garcia in the beginning...and the GRRM nodded in agreement.

Near the end, I thought it was hilarious that GRRM said he had a chance to meet Frank Herbert. Herbert said he wanted to do other things, other stories, other worlds, but his fan base only wanted more Dune novels and that he grew to hate it towards the end. From what I've heard of the last few Dune novels, I believe him.

But at least the first Dune would have been a nice one off with an actual ending. I was told not to go past God Emperor.

But I had no idea that A Game of Thrones was written as a self contained story and that mobs with torches stormed GRRM's house demanding what resulted in A Clash of Kings, et al.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

esperterra posted:

Didn't GRRM already say her not being burned in the pyre was due to the blood magic? And a one time thing?

And then Barristan saw her on fire in Daznak's Pit, so GRRM was just gardening again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kcroy posted:

I think they hid it to force traffic to their site I think.

testing!

hot pie is a true boi

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

And then Barristan saw her on fire in Daznak's Pit, so GRRM was just gardening again.

I thought she came out of Daznak's pit hurt and with burns, though? It's been a while since I read aDwD, though, so the only thing I'm sure of is the more she drank, the more she poo poo.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

hot pie is a true boi

Seriously. Hot Pie for King.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

I thought she came out of Daznak's pit hurt and with burns, though?

She did. Her hair got singed off again too. Though that never happens in the show.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gimmedaroot posted:

I don't know much about Linda and whatnot; what's this about her being a Nazi? I've heard jokes here - and elsewhere - that extent before, but never saw the justification for it. Not defending her, just curious.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Didn't see this posted:

GRRM is full of it there's no way he commissioned that one calendar photo if he didn't know

hobbesmaster posted:

Only because GenSan is a lovely fan fic pairing.

It all makes sense now D&D are one of those lovely fanfic writers that really hate Dany & Arya " And then Arya leaves forever and Sansa marries Gendry because she's hotter than Arya." "Dany dies and then they throw poo poo her because she sucks."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

esperterra posted:

I thought she came out of Daznak's pit hurt and with burns, though? It's been a while since I read aDwD, though, so the only thing I'm sure of is the more she drank, the more she poo poo.

Minor burns on her hands. Barristan saw her burning and all her hair had burned away, like in the pyre, but her scalp was fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those season eight spoilers are all real. Csrsei mentioned the Golden Company and the fact they have elephants. It is absolutely going to happen.

Also loving LOL Rhaegar is played by Viserys in the flashback.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 28, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The rage over Dany's death and desecration is going to be edible.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

Those season eight spoilers are all real. Csrsei mentioned the Golden Company and the fact they have elephants. It is absolutely going to happen.

Also loving LOL Rhaegar is played by Viserys in the flashback.

Honestly, that's great. I miss Harry Lloyd.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Kavak posted:

If those spoilers are real, the ending they depict is generally kind of lovely. Would have been better if the Others had just killed everyone.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Lol at getting R+L=J exposition over Targ incest. Gurm would be proud.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kavak posted:

They claim to have scripted and filmed multiple endings. The question is if the spoiler is for the dumbest ending or not.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

They claim to have scripted and filmed multiple endings. The question is if the spoiler is for the dumbest ending or not.

Oh god please let there be more and worse.

EDIT: Conspiracy time- they're leaking each ending one at a time to see which one is the most popular. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'