Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Yes all us MMA fans are very upset and grasping at straws in the wake of the best boxer ever beating a man who has never boxed before.

Relish our sweet, sweet tears boxing fans. All 5 or so of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Why do so many combat sport experts only post in this subforum for the biggest fights?

Seems like we have such a huge pool of knowledge that only comes out for mainstream fights. Are these posters too busy coaching the next big fighter?

I'm learning so much this weekend, WOW!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

El Roncho posted:

Yes all us MMA fans are very upset and grasping at straws in the wake of the best boxer ever beating a man who has never boxed before.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Normally Floyd would in fact lose the early rounds in a tactical decision to make the fight work the way he wants, but Conor was such garbage that Floyd still should have won every round except maybe 1, when Conor hit that fluke uppercut (which was weak).

Eh, Floyd threw like three punches in R2 and I don't remember R3 having any defining exchanges that favored Floyd. Again, I don't really watch boxing, I watch MMA and I Don't Even Train, but he didn't show enough action to have won R1 thru 3 IMO. R4 he started turning up and by R7 Conor was hosed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

El Roncho posted:

I definitely am

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mr. Carlisle posted:

funnier still is someone saying poo poo like 'mma chuds' when defending a dying sport nobody watches anymore until the fighter who has no chance brings back an old retired shithead and gets people to watch said sport again

Boxing can be dying and bad and MMA fans can still be stupid idiots perfectly representing the worst caricatures possible.

I know so many people who thought Conor was gonna put Floyd and Boxing in the grave. These people are profoundly stupid.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I find Mayweather's style of risk negation very fascinating. Has anyone taken time to write about it in depth? It's not the most exciting thing to watch live but it's impressive as gently caress.

There have been many defensive style boxers over the years and many articles written about them.

Google "Sweet Pea Whitaker" for an example.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Scrapez posted:

There have been many defensive style boxers over the years and many articles written about them.

Pernell is awesome.

One boxer whose defense gets overlooked (for a fair enough reason) is Tyson in his prime.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dias posted:

Eh, Floyd threw like three punches in R2 and I don't remember R3 having any defining exchanges that favored Floyd. Again, I don't really watch boxing, I watch MMA and I Don't Even Train, but he didn't show enough action to have won R1 thru 3 IMO. R4 he started turning up and by R7 Conor was hosed.

Then just think about it this way: Conor did exactly what Floyd wanted him to do during those first 4 rounds. And Conor's offense wasn't enough to break up that game plan. I can totally see giving Conor 1 and Floyd is perfectly willing to lose rounds on purpose to play the long game.

But at this point we're getting into the weird distinction between "scoring" and "winning" a round.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Boxing can be dying and bad and MMA fans can still be stupid idiots perfectly representing the worst caricatures possible.

I know so many people who thought Conor was gonna put Floyd and Boxing in the grave. These people are profoundly stupid.

In a way Conor did help Floyd put boxing further into the grave but in another he also brought millions of eyes to a sport they had either given up on or had never seen before. Some of those eyes may have like what they saw and might stick around.

I also didn't know you were talking about people you personally know and thought you were talking about people in this thread who by all means have said some retarded poo poo but I don't think anyone here was under the illusion that Conor might win outside of a few gimmick posters and those that want the comedy option to happen by default.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Why do so many combat sport experts only post in this subforum for the biggest fights?

Seems like we have such a huge pool of knowledge that only comes out for mainstream fights. Are these posters too busy coaching the next big fighter?

I'm learning so much this weekend, WOW!

You think conor would have won if he had a gun or does it still go 10 rounds

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Also there is totally a purpose in debating who won rounds in a fight that ended by TKO in the 10th.

Yep. Totally relevant.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
and btw I really enjoy mma and think it's good (even if the UFC low key might be in worse shape than boxing) but it's the height of arrogance to even begin to think Connor had a chance in a real boxing match, or that he actually redeemed himself in any way last night.

I don't think I know a single Boxing guy who would pretend High Tech could beat Mighty Mouse in the octagon or some stupid poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Then just think about it this way: Conor did exactly what Floyd wanted him to do during those first 4 rounds. And Conor's offense wasn't enough to break up that game plan. I can totally see giving Conor 1 and Floyd is perfectly willing to lose rounds on purpose to play the long game.

But at this point we're getting into the weird distinction between "scoring" and "winning" a round.

I guess so. I think Floyd won because that's what he wanted, but I think Conor got the points because a fight is scored on a per-round basis. Like, I completely agree Floyd never looked like he was in trouble or even was being challenged at all.

Scrapez posted:

You guys probably would know it, who's the YT dude that does breakdowns on fighter styles? I remember seeing one I quite enjoyed about GGG and also one about maybe Pacquiao from the same dude?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Pernell is awesome.

One boxer whose defense gets overlooked (for a fair enough reason) is Tyson in his prime.

I wish he would get more credit for that and everything else to do with the tightness of his boxing. When you're a terrifying highlight reel it's going to get overshadowed no matter what though.

Scrapez posted:

Thanks!

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I think Keven was the only one here predicting a Conor KO and well... Let's just say you should take that with a grain of salt.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Conor looked like a loving asshat, he was garbage and threw little weak rear end punches.

His head movement was embarrassing. His punches were incredibly weak. He had less stamina than a retired 40 year old man.

Floyd would go 10 rounds against a 3 year old. He doesn't tolerate risk. That's his thing.

The only reason floyd went 10 rounds with conor mcgregor is because conor waited until round 10 to knock him out

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

and btw I really enjoy mma and think it's good (even if the UFC low key might be in worse shape than boxing) but it's the height of arrogance to even begin to think Connor had a chance in a real boxing match, or that he actually redeemed himself in any way last night.

I don't think I know a single Boxing guy who would pretend High Tech could beat Mighty Mouse in the octagon or some stupid poo poo.

I think MMA posters had the benefit of seeing what happened to CM Punk when he tried to transition into a sport he had never competed in from something completely different and in ways it might be comparing apples to oranges but it did give us some perspective on what to expect going in and also to understand the dismissive tone the commentators and most boxing fans had toward the whole thing. So there's that.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Rematch with an unbiased red and see what happens, or hell make them do UFC rules and see a real fight

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I love the MMA side now going all "Well he made a lot of money so I guess he's the real winner, also he didn't get merked instantly by the glass handed decision guy"

:D

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Rematch with an unbiased red and see what happens, or hell make them do UFC rules and see a real fight

Under boxing rules the same result 100 fights out of 100. Nobody thinks Floyd would win under UFC rules.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DaFrugalGamer posted:

I mean this is probably a gimmick but these people exist

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I mean this is probably a gimmick but these people exist

I was thinking that as I responded but of course hit post anyway just in case because you never know

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The rest of your post was v good but I'm sorry, no.

He won the first 3 rounds. He landed as many punches as Canelo did and more than Pacquiao did. You can be semantic but he was in no way embarrassed last night.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He won the first 3 rounds. He landed as many punches as Canelo did and more than Pacquiao did. You can be semantic but he was in no way embarrassed last night.

He looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

I don't know if you watch many Mayweather fights, but I could probably get in the ring and land a few punches in the first few moments. That's how Mayweather fights.

He's still training for the fight in the first three or four rounds, and that's been his style for almost every fight in the last decade.

Edited for clarity

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 27, 2017

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The worrying part to me was when Mayweather ducked into him Conor's only response was light shots to the back of the head. Even in MMA those aren't legal shots so I'm not sure what he was going for there.

Then again he did say during the post fight that Mayweather coming forward and ducking into him had him flustered so he probably didn't know what his response was either. Mayweather taking someone who has an awkward style for him and switching up his own style to counter and be just as awkward for his opponent to deal with was pretty fascinating to watch.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Rigel posted:

Two of the judges gave Conor only 1 round? lol

Mayweather definitely had a lead before the KO, but it was closer than that.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

No he didn't! A majority of the judges clearly said so!

Yeah that scorecard was loving garbage

I had it way closer.

Granted McGregor never stood a chance and if it went 12 rounds it likely would have been 8 rounds to 4. But not loving 11 to 1 like most of the judges had it.

Yes I considered a standing 8. Deal with it :colbert:

Edit: I don't know why I said standing 8 I mean considered a 10-8 round without a knockdown present.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 27, 2017

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The worrying part to me was when Mayweather ducked into him Conor's only response was light shots to the back of the head. Even in MMA those aren't legal shots so I'm not sure what he was going for there.

Then again he did say during the post fight that Mayweather coming forward and ducking into him had him flustered so he probably didn't know what his response was either. Mayweather taking someone who has an awkward style for him and switching up his own style to counter and be just as awkward for his opponent to deal with was pretty fascinating to watch.

He was throwing illegal punches to try and win by cheating, OP

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

He looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

I don't know if you watch many Mayweather fights, but I could probably get in the ring and land a few punches in the first few moments. That's how Mayweather fights.

lol

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
When Mayweather turned around I was hoping Conor would give him renal failure.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I've had multiple people tell me today how brave Conor was which is kind of funny. He made a tonne of money but he got marched down and finished by a lighter and older fighter with glass hands

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Truly a testament to Mayweather's greatness that he could execute such a finely honed strategy against a guy who had never fought in a ring before.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Yes I considered a standing 8. Deal with it :colbert:

I guess you mean that you almost judged it a 10-8 even though nobody got knocked down, but I've never seen standing 8 used that way.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Diddie posted:

Truly a testament to Mayweather's greatness that he could execute such a finely honed strategy against a guy who had never fought in a ring before.

Well, them and everyone else he has ever fought

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

bringing standing 8 counts back would've probably benefited the fight last night tbh and yet i'm the only one making the case for them in the entire world

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Boxing may be hurting in the States, but it is still growing in other parts of the world. There's no reason to think this growth won't continue.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMA is worse because it's huge popularity means a lot of idiots like it, Boxing is better because with so few fans we can individually shame any person who's opinion doesn't match up with both of the others.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Diddie posted:

And guys who have

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

vainman posted:

I've had multiple people tell me today how brave Conor was which is kind of funny. He made a tonne of money but he got marched down and finished by a lighter and older fighter with glass hands

Honestly I was expecting him to lie down or find some way to quit without actually quitting. He took his beating like a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Conor was pacing himself a little bit too much. The consensus among my group (which includes a few people who train kickboxing) was that Conor was holding his punches back a bit too much. He landed a clean uppercut right on the button- if he'd been hitting at full power- it would have all been over right then and there. He played it a bit too safe and it ultimately cost him the win. I know some of you will disagree, but it doesn't matter how good you are, if you get hit on the button with a full power uppercut, you're going down.

Not sure what his strategy was there. The only chance he had was to knock him out early. How are you going to knock him out if you're not punching at full power? Should have utilized his weight advantage. Also could have utilized more body shots and power punches to take out his cardio. It was still a good match, but it was his game planning that ultimately cost him the win. It was still an entertaining match though- I certainly got my money's worth.

Judges scorecard proved that boxing is one of the most corrupt sports that exists out there. Can't believe any ethical judge would ever justify awarding the 2nd and 3rd rounds to Mayweather.

• Locked thread