Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
My watch group and I couldn't get over how very Naruto that whole fight with the talisman lady was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm really hoping the dub just stresses the parts where he mentions giving earthly pleasure in favor of power and tranquility, because that's a cool old master speech. Just make him regularly intimidating, and not . . . That.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
lmbo at "it's great to have roshi back he should be around forever" vs "it's awful to have roshi back he should die" in the span of 1 episode where he shows his consistent personality

Did everyone forget Roshi is terrible?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They could have made that scene a lot less creepier with a few minor changes. Have the girl try to seduce Roshi, Roshi falls for it and jumps at her, and then when she tries to spear him he reveals he was just pretending all along, grabs the spear, and throws her off the stage with it.

But instead they turned him into an old creep, and it's sad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crabtree posted:

I'd rather he just chicken out of attacking her and 18 take her out plain and simple. The other two fights Roshi had were infinitely better and less cringe worthy, but here we are.

I would rather not. It's annoying when anime/wrestling/whatever use female characters to fight other females and little else. 18 can and should fight anyone and everyone. 17 had a good showing in that regard, she should too.

It's just lazy. Find a less rapey way for Roshi to scare the lady away and everything would have been great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they could have just not had roshi scare her at all. he could have thrown her off the stage and skipped the threats. it was clearly supposed to be a joke but it was a really bad one that shouldn't have happened

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Manatee Cannon posted:

they could have just not had roshi scare her at all. he could have thrown her off the stage and skipped the threats. it was clearly supposed to be a joke but it was a really bad one that shouldn't have happened

You can easily do the same joke without his creepy speech.

She poses, he falls for it, she attacks, he dodges. Repeat this two times, she decides the fight ain't winnable, runs away, but he's keeping pace asking if she can do any more poses. Then she jumps off in a panic.

His speech really kills the whole thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if roshi wile e. coyote'd her to falling off, that would have been alright. perving on some lady until she quits is lame tho, even without taking it as far as they did

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be honest I thought he was saying "No focusing on women has made me really strong and now I can beat the poo poo out of you" as some sort of nofap prodigy, and not that he was gonna sexually assault her, but her reaction tells me that no that really was supposed to be the implication.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

The one perv character I can kinda stand is Minata from My Hero Academia because at least he's an age-appropriate perv that looks like a sad sack of poo poo whenever he does it (also got out-perved by another perv character which is quite a bit creepier if you think about it). It's one of those tropes that slowly faded out from most Western media but still sticks around in Japanese stuff.

you should go post this in the mha thread, it'd go well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

you should go post this in the mha thread, it'd go well.

There's a reason why I never joined those arguments.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
But seriously did Goku revive Roshi? Does that count as him accidentally triggering some kind of Creation power or technique to save his dirty old master?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crabtree posted:

But seriously did Goku revive Roshi? Does that count as him accidentally triggering some kind of Creation power or technique to save his dirty old master?

If it was anything but DBZ I'd be sure him going back to base after the big blue spark meant something, but it's DBZ. However, it's also DBS and maybe it IS a setup. We'll see.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've always liked Roshi's Max Power The Actual Real Kamehameha.

Also some of Goku's ki transferred to Roshi and now he is super powerful and will live another 2,000 years instead of just 1,000 with his technicolor weed

E: How is the editing in Dragon Ball Kai? I think I only saw up until the Androids, but can't remember and would probably just rewatch. I would kind of like to watch the dub of it. Is it good? Are the dvds uncut?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 27, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Roshi creeper scene basically made me wish he'd actually keel over at the end of the episode.

Crabtree posted:

That scene where a dying character is being resuscitated, it seems to fail and everyone starts mourning only for the character to draw breath a second later is basically around in fiction everywhere. Who knows if that#s the idea with that blue energy wave at the end though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Firstborn posted:

lmbo at "it's great to have roshi back he should be around forever" vs "it's awful to have roshi back he should die" in the span of 1 episode where he shows his consistent personality

Did everyone forget Roshi is terrible?

Apparently, because this is the third Super episode in which he's done this kind of thing and provoked this reaction.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The episode with Tien's stalker felt way worse than this. The episode with Puar was also real loving bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Crabtree posted:

I assumed it was the same thing as when Hit almost killed him in that it was just restarting his heart before he died.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Firstborn posted:

The episode with Tien's stalker felt way worse than this. The episode with Puar was also real loving bad.

Tien's episode was BAD, then we got a kinda bad Puar thing that at least worked towards Roshi overcoming his weird gropy thing and maybe just getting to be the cool old kung-fu dude. This is why people are complaining about that one scene because they could've just totally left it behind (or brought it back in a way where Roshi would get hosed for being a creep) and they did a weird rapist thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sassassin posted:

Apparently, because this is the third Super episode in which he's done this kind of thing and provoked this reaction.

Maybe some people were hoping character development would actually stick.

I did forget that it's Toei, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The blu-rays of Kai are uncut, right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Crabtree posted:

He did it to himself against Beerus and he did it to himself again against Hit. so Who knows.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Master roshi should have just seduced her instead with his huge muscles

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm worried Tien's gonna get his loser cooties all over the next episode and ruin it :ohdear:

Also I like that the Universe 4 kid turned into Rawk Hawk from Paper Mario.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Firstborn posted:

The blu-rays of Kai are uncut, right?

Yes and the dub is cool and good.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Zeratanis posted:

Yes and the dub is cool and good.

Cool, gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the quick reply.
Did a little bit of research and apparently Kai had a composer named Yamamoto that ... plagiarized a bunch of Earth, Wind & Fire songs and stuff and had his stuff excised from certain releases? I don't even know if I'd notice.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 27, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Firstborn posted:

Cool, gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the quick reply.
Did a little bit of research and apparently Kai had a composer named Yamamoto that ... plagiarized a bunch of Earth, Wind & Fire songs and stuff and had his stuff excised from certain releases? I don't even know if I'd notice.

There were a couple of cases, but this one was my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoxpAmZ36w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wb11w0ZHQ

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Holy poo poo, the dude didn't even try to hide that one, huh.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This is the one that popped up when I went searching.

E: Oh wait here we go. Here's some:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/kenji-yamamoto-retrospective/

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 27, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo, the dude didn't even try to hide that one, huh.

I remember watching some of the Namek episodes with my mouth agape. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hahaha Jesus. That's just blatant.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The part in season 1 of Dragon Ball where Emperor Pilaf has Bulma restrained is a flawless execution of exactly the joke they ought to be making with Roshi but never actually do. I really hope the dub does something to fix the grosser scenes because otherwise the way Super has dealt with Roshi has been superb. I love that they brought the evil containment wave back into relevance. I love that his longevity is from consuming the dankest weed on earth. I love that he's shown to use all of his crafty tricks like when he fought Goku as a kid. I love that Krillin and Goku still look up to him like a father.

As things are, Roshi's one hell of a "Milkshake Duck" of a character.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'll always prefer the Japanese voices to the dub, because I like that they just use their normal voices for the most part. I've never liked a put upon voices, whether it's shrieky, gruff, or whatever the hell the dub King Kai is supposed to be. It gives it a Saturday morning cartoon feel that I hate to listen to. Yes, more than granny Goku. I actually like some of the voices Team Four Star has more than the actual dub. Their Vegeta is leagues better than Sabat's.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ I actually agree with TFS Vegeta being better, but I'll give Kai a re-listen. When Grandma Goku is doing the kamehameha, I get chills picturing the sound booth with her doing the HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the end. Man that lady has pipes.

I'm liking the inclusion of him, too, despite all the weirdness. It's cool seeing him fight again. It's also pretty cool seeing 17 fight, too. Tien hasn't really done too much yet, but I liked that they brought back his four arms tech in the episode with his school. Super has been really pulling deep cuts from the character's abilities and showing them in a way that feels cool. Krillin's kienzan that split into 3!

I'm hoping for an episode that has Freeza fighting some now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flubby posted:

I'll always prefer the Japanese voices to the dub, because I like that they just use their normal voices for the most part. I've never liked a put upon voices, whether it's shrieky, gruff, or whatever the hell the dub King Kai is supposed to be. It gives it a Saturday morning cartoon feel that I hate to listen to. Yes, more than granny Goku. I actually like some of the voices Team Four Star has more than the actual dub. Their Vegeta is leagues better than Sabat's.

Their Vegeta is just a knockoff of Sabat's. It's the exact same take.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad I'm not the only one skeeved out by that scene. But it feels like everyone forgot this is an anime and in anime lack of regard for things like "consent" and "boundaries" is a charming "oh you!" character trait and not, y'know, a crime.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Their Vegeta is just a knockoff of Sabat's. It's the exact same take.

The same take done much better.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sabat's Vegeta is pretty weak, though. I'm struggling to think of an instance where he really blew me away. I think maybe Final Flash against Cell, but it was a culmination of a bunch of things (including the score...) that sells it. He doesn't really do very good "HNNNnnnGG" power-up stuff, either, which makes him sound kind of anemic compared to the rest of the cast which will loving YELL.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flubby posted:

The same take done much better.

something something the copy can never match the original blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's such a phony grit to Sabat's Vegeta, though.

E: I guess that's just a Brian Drummond impersonation, though? At least, at first. Drummond's yelling sounded loving unhinged, I loved it. At the same time I can't really picture Drummond as an older Vegeta. Sabat is better there, I think.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 27, 2017