Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I use the top half of the handle of my floor jack.

Its always fun to see your thumb-thick socket wrench flex under four feet of physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For some reason my torque wrench is like 18 inches long, so it goes on breaker bar duty when working on car stuff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

canyoneer posted:

For some reason my torque wrench is like 18 inches long, so it goes on breaker bar duty when working on car stuff.

:stonk:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It is probably a bad idea, but TBH I don't use it often and I set it at 125 ft lbs and it hasn't tripped :shrug:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've legit used expanding foam or scrap wood to reinforce them. Are yours hollow inside?
The doors I have are solid wood (pine). I also plugged the old mounting holes with dowel.

I don't have easy access to a drill press but thanks to the link posted above I was able to find a few horizontal drill mounts with clamps that should do the trick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've never had a breaker bar under 18 inches. Didn't even know they made them that small. The point is to break stuff loose, and my 1/2" drive ratchet is like 10.

If you wouldn’t feel comfortable poking a venomous snake with your breaker bar, it’s too short.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

Sounds pro and I've always wanted a good torquemada. I've got a 1" ratchet that looks like something Karl Childers would haul around, and makes the most ominous sounding cricket click. If that doesn't work (Mr. Mambo tool rec tip), I've got plenty of lengths of 3/4" black pipe which a smaller ratchet handle will usually fit inside.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Any suggestions for babby's first torque wrench? It'll see most use on the car.

Are there any inherent flaws on the needle and dial style other than it looking goofy and possibly catching on stuff and probably not fitting into the only access point you have around the engine for that particular bolt you're trying to reach and if I'd only gotten one of the types that you turn the handle I wouldn't be in this mess gently caress this I need another beer?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
With as much as I have to lean on things I prefer hearing an audible 'click' when I've reached the desired torque. I can't imagine grunting against the wrench and stopping perfectly as the needle hits the number I'm looking for.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

With as much as I have to lean on things I prefer hearing an audible 'click' when I've reached the desired torque. I can't imagine grunting against the wrench and stopping perfectly as the needle hits the number I'm looking for.

That's a very good point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

cigaw posted:

Any suggestions for babby's first torque wrench? It'll see most use on the car.

Are there any inherent flaws on the needle and dial style other than it looking goofy and possibly catching on stuff and probably not fitting into the only access point you have around the engine for that particular bolt you're trying to reach and if I'd only gotten one of the types that you turn the handle I wouldn't be in this mess gently caress this I need another beer?

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-203-5/dp/B00C5ZL0RU

I use this one, but let it be known I'm a big dummy.
You can hear and feel a good PLUNK when it hits the torque you want. The 18 inch handle is really great for applying precise leverage, but if you're space restricted then lol

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
My crowbar is now one of my nice tools: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002V4Y2XO/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item_image

Holy crap is it sexy. Recommended if you can see demolition in your future

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Or zombies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Or Targaryens.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

canyoneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-203-5/dp/B00C5ZL0RU

I use this one, but let it be known I'm a big dummy.
You can hear and feel a good PLUNK when it hits the torque you want. The 18 inch handle is really great for applying precise leverage, but if you're space restricted then lol

I have this. Still tests within 10% three years later.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Rnr posted:

My crowbar is now one of my nice tools: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002V4Y2XO/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item_image

Holy crap is it sexy. Recommended if you can see demolition in your future

I have the shorter yellow version of that monstrosity. I use mine mainly to drive other striking tools. That way if I miss and hit something with the metal handle, there is not a chance of damaging it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sounds pro and I've always wanted a good torquemada. I've got a 1" ratchet that looks like something Karl Childers would haul around, and makes the most ominous sounding cricket click. If that doesn't work (Mr. Mambo tool rec tip), I've got plenty of lengths of 3/4" black pipe which a smaller ratchet handle will usually fit inside.

3/4” extendable ratcheting breaker bar (max around 40”)for me. I’m a skinny guy, so I need all the torque I can get for torque to yield stuff and getting overtorqued fasteners loose.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the Crappy Construction Tales thread:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spider wisdom posted:

3 minutes later, I discovered the breaker bar. A long handle of steel with a pivoting square head. Made perfect sense, too. More torque = better chance of knocking a frozen plug loose, and less work in the end, too. I'd never overnighted anything to myself before, but I found a nice 11-incher and said what the hell. Sort of a unitasker, unfortunately; so it goes.

Where do you live where you can't find a breaker bar locally? It sounds like your car wasn't out of commission since that's literally step 1.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Looking for drill press advice. I snapped up a Jet 17MF floor standing drill press for $150 from work with an x-y table. While it's worked out pretty well, I just don't think I need the floor standing clearance and could use clearing up some floor space and cash for other tools. I was looking at replacing it with a bench top 12" version, possibly the Jet JWDP-12 or the Wen 4214, which looks to be identical to the Jet for less money. Any advice on smaller drill presses, or am I crazy for selling the floor standing and moving to something smaller?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have this Husky Tool Cabinet: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-9-Drawer-Tool-Cabinet-Textured-Black-H52TR9/206887196 ?

I'm trying to find something similar, without spending thousands of dollars...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Costco has ones that are very simiar for $400ish.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Falco posted:

Looking for drill press advice. I snapped up a Jet 17MF floor standing drill press for $150 from work with an x-y table. While it's worked out pretty well, I just don't think I need the floor standing clearance and could use clearing up some floor space and cash for other tools. I was looking at replacing it with a bench top 12" version, possibly the Jet JWDP-12 or the Wen 4214, which looks to be identical to the Jet for less money. Any advice on smaller drill presses, or am I crazy for selling the floor standing and moving to something smaller?

Sounds like you got a bargain. There's about $300 difference between them new? Selling one and buying another doesn't sound like it'll actually leave you a lot of excess cash unless you find another used one at a great discount.

Other options: find a busted bench top version and swap your working head into it or build a cabinet around the upright to get the space back. Bonus of being removable should you decide you need the clearance.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there anything special about router bits marketed "for CNC" that makes them unsuitable for use in a hand router?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sounds like you got a bargain. There's about $300 difference between them new? Selling one and buying another doesn't sound like it'll actually leave you a lot of excess cash unless you find another used one at a great discount.

Other options: find a busted bench top version and swap your working head into it or build a cabinet around the upright to get the space back. Bonus of being removable should you decide you need the clearance.

The one I picked up also has a decent x-y table, so it would be nice to sell it for around $400 if possible, but I may not get quite that. The Wen which appears to be a clone of the Jet sells for $235 on Amazon, so that would leave a little leftover. I never thought to find a busted bench top and add the head of mine. That's a great idea if I could scrounge up the base of a bench top.

And I like the idea of the cabinet and keeping my floor standing, but I would really like the real estate in the garage for a bandsaw.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DreadLlama posted:

Is there anything special about router bits marketed "for CNC" that makes them unsuitable for use in a hand router?

No, as long as the shaft diameter fits your router

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Sweet. Thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

nah they're fine.

I like to put 1/8" 2-flute carbide end mills (10 for $10 on Amazon) in my Dremel because nothing rips the poo poo out of plastic and wood quite like carbide at 20,000 RPM

also works on flesh and bone :unsmigghh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I also put my 1/8-1/4 end mills in my router, because holy poo poo the lines are so smooth and quick. IDGAF about price, because knockoff HSS end mills are cheaper than HSS knockoff router bits for some reason.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^ That's a protip right there.

Someone help me find som torx bits (T20 and T25 mainly) that are
  • :siren: GOOD QUALITY NOT MADE FROM CHINESIUM :siren:
  • Very long - ~150mm
  • NOT security torx (unless really, REALLY awesome)
Basically I'm looking for the Robertson bit that comes with the Kreg stuff, just in torx.

Bonus points for something easily/cheaply shipped to Europe.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

bolind posted:

• Very long - ~150mm
Basically I'm looking for the Robertson bit that comes with the Kreg stuff, just in torx.

McMaster has something like this, but i think they don't ship to Europe. Also not sure how quality their "steel" is.

They also offer some other "extended life" bits that are TiN or diamond coated, but not in absurd lengths.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bolind posted:

• Very long - ~150mm

Axminster sell some, I assume they'll be good or returnable.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Buy wera impactor or bosch extra hardened. Both of those have lasted great for me. Something like this maybe, should last around 1-2 thousand fasteners: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WERA-Tough-Extra-Long-TORX-TX-152mm-6-Screwdriver-Bits-Sizes-Tx-6-To-Tx-40-/291654022097

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Speaking of torx, I'd like to gush about the mini wrench set I bought a while ago

Beta 860/C27

It's super tiny, and works great for awkward angles/tight spaces on most common fasteners (I actually found myself preferring this over hex wrenches or screwdrivers even when I do have enough clearance), and I like that the bits are all labeled and colour coded, and that the ratchet has a jog wheel on top for when there isn't yet enough friction for the ratchet to kick in.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rnr posted:

Buy wera impactor or bosch extra hardened. Both of those have lasted great for me. Something like this maybe, should last around 1-2 thousand fasteners: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WERA-Tough-Extra-Long-TORX-TX-152mm-6-Screwdriver-Bits-Sizes-Tx-6-To-Tx-40-/291654022097

Thanks, all. Should've known that Wera had these things.

Edit: This set from Bahco will probably come on sale soon at my local tool pusher: 59/S54BC. Could probably do the trick.

rawrr posted:

Speaking of torx, I'd like to gush about the mini wrench set I bought a while ago

Beta 860/C27

It's super tiny, and works great for awkward angles/tight spaces on most common fasteners (I actually found myself preferring this over hex wrenches or screwdrivers even when I do have enough clearance), and I like that the bits are all labeled and colour coded, and that the ratchet has a jog wheel on top for when there isn't yet enough friction for the ratchet to kick in.

Wera has some great sets based on their Zyklop Mini as well, and I have the same experience as you. It's surprisingly great for a lot of things.

bolind fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 1, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I need a clamping vise to throw on a kitchen island occasionally and amazon seems hard to navigate wrt poo poo and not poo poo.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I need a clamping vise to throw on a kitchen island occasionally and amazon seems hard to navigate wrt poo poo and not poo poo.

This will help with the fake review bullshit:

http://fakespot.com/

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
So I had some Ikea particle board kitchen counters I wanted to cut down to size, so I bought the cheapest circular saw on Amazon, a black and decker for $60 Canadian. How bad can a circular saw be, right?

Turns out it physically cannot cut a right angle because the bevel adjustment bottoms out before the 0 degree position. To compound that, the shoe is mounted to flexible plastic, so any variation in pressure will alter the angle as you make the cut.

I expected it to be barely adequate, but it doesn't even do the one thing it's supposed to do.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
What tools in your guys' shops get the most use?

My top 5 are probably:
- Digital calipers
- Needle-nose pliers
- Pen and paper
- Allen keys
- C-clamps

Not counting coffee.

edit: my tiny apt shop is mainly lathe and 3D printer and a lil electronics

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Top 5:
18v cordless drill/driver/impact
Portable cordless work light (preferably same 18v battery as above)
Hammer
Leatherman (cheating big time here)
Magnetic bowl thing to catch fasteners and small parts