Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I honestly prefer TFS's Vegeta too because even though it's the same ridiculous gargling-glass raspy voice, it sounds better during casual conversation. Sabat' casual Vegeta in Kai sounds like Piccolo with a cold, though it got better in Super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Firstborn posted:

Sabat's Vegeta is pretty weak, though. I'm struggling to think of an instance where he really blew me away. I think maybe Final Flash against Cell, but it was a culmination of a bunch of things (including the score...) that sells it. He doesn't really do very good "HNNNnnnGG" power-up stuff, either, which makes him sound kind of anemic compared to the rest of the cast which will loving YELL.
I liked his work in the Buu saga quite a bit, but i'll actually agree that the FTS and sub version work better.
He is by no means bad at it though, he's a good VA imo; just not my favourite take.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

I liked his work in the Buu saga quite a bit, but i'll actually agree that the FTS and sub version work better.
He is by no means bad at it though, he's a good VA imo; just not my favourite take.

He's an awesome VA. I wonder if Vegeta is too high/raspy to do comfortably because he naturally has a really deep voice, like Piccolo's range (which would make sense because his Piccolo is perfect). The TFS guy's voice is not as deep so he can probably do the Vegeta thing more comfortably.

Much respect to all Vegeta actors, though. Try talking in a high pitched (for your range) raspy voice for an extended amount of time. Try screaming in it. Imagine having to do that for hours, through multiple takes. I think 80s metal bands still touring have less stress on their vocal cords than that.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just realized Roshi got a new VA because the original one passed away. Tien, too.
:smith:

E: Also when they showed Krillin and Goku behind Roshi during his speech... they didn't show Yamcha. I know he isn't there, but he was a student. Hahaha Yamcha.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 27, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I lie Sabat quite a lot and his Super stuff has been better, but honestly TFS' take on Final Flash is probably better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It kind of shocks me how for a dumb joke fan project started by some nerds in their houses a zillion years ago, TFS's take on a lot of the characters is generally really good, even in "serious" parts.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Just realized Roshi got a new VA because the original one passed away. Tien, too.
:smith:

E: Also when they showed Krillin and Goku behind Roshi during his speech... they didn't show Yamcha. I know he isn't there, but he was a student. Hahaha Yamcha.

Wanna add to that sad?

Frieza's voice actor Chris Ayres has end stage emphysema and COPD :( he's probably not gonna ever be able to return to work as a VA, but honestly I hope the poor guy makes it in general.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Skinty McEdger posted:

I lie Sabat quite a lot and his Super stuff has been better, but honestly TFS' take on Final Flash is probably better.

Had to look it up as it's been a long time since I went through DBZA. It is pretty good, actually.

E: Legit legit good

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 27, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0EBMQ7Niw

I guess the special is about the tournament then.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is that last picture where the "Goku is getting a new form" rumours are coming from?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Firstborn posted:

Is that last picture where the "Goku is getting a new form" rumours are coming from?

"Rumours" is a very weird word to use for something that's already been confirmed, that has appeared in two images and now in a video.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
... Isn't it just a picture of base Goku?
That doesn't seem like it'd sell many toys

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Firstborn posted:

... Isn't it just a picture of base Goku?

Nope, he has a weird aura, different shaped hair, and blue eyes.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Oh man I'm sure his back is tingly as gently caress

\/\/ Super Cat Goku CONFIRMED heading out to buy my action figure

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 27, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He has blue cat eyes.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

He's got angel-style halos around him.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
wait do the halos come with the figurine or how do you get those

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 28, 2017

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So it's not a special like Bardock or History of Trunks, but just a normal episode twice as long as a regular episode? That's boring.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
You might want to link the picture instead of embedding it though. There's maybe one or two people left trying to stay pure. If I was afraid of spoilers myself I would have run out of this thread a long time ago.

Poor Vegeta though. He's never going to get a first is he? Even Gohan got to go SSJ2, even if he got benched for most of the show anyway. All Vegeta got was muscle form and that was the wrong path to take anyway

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Flubby posted:

Poor Vegeta though. He's never going to get a first is he? Even Gohan got to go SSJ2, even if he got benched for most of the show anyway. All Vegeta got was muscle form and that was the wrong path to take anyway

Watch as Vegeta gets SSJ4. Which looks nothing like GT's SSJ4, and is way stronger.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I really enjoyed that episode, as creepy as Roshi can be I still love the highlights of his character, how much he embraces being an old kung-fu master and the love for his students. As much as Goku can be a dumb punching mans idiot, he still really cares for those around him and his innocent nature at the end of the episode was great.

Show owns so hard.

What I find really weird about the DB fanbase are the groups of people who insist that certain characters need to die for the show to be good or for them to like it. It seems really macabre. The thing I love most about the show is how everyone gets along in their own weird little ways and their reverence for life itself, be it food, adventure, punching mans or being a creep.

As for the next episode;

lol at the rock fort.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't Vegeta get SSB first because he started training with Whis first or am I misremembering?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheHan posted:

I'm worried Tien's gonna get his loser cooties all over the next episode and ruin it :ohdear:

Also I like that the Universe 4 kid turned into Rawk Hawk from Paper Mario.

I can't unsee this now.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Glagha posted:

Didn't Vegeta get SSB first because he started training with Whis first or am I misremembering?

I think they both got it at the same time. I remember a scene with him and goku punching fists together when they were training with whis and the screen flashing blue, that's probably when they both realized they could do blue. Vegeta had to catch up to goku in the first place when he was just there by himself.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Glagha posted:

They both got SSB inside Whis' staff. We don't know who got it first tho.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we know that vegeta got god ki on his own but I don't remember if they said who got blue hair first

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

I can't unsee this now.

Is it fair to call this guy bird goku?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

something something the copy can never match the original blah

there's no rule saying an imitation can't surpass the original

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it fair to call this guy bird goku?

I'm pretty sure that's just the form Donald/Scrooge achieved every time they got super angry in the Don Rosa comics.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I almost cried when it looked like Roshi would die, but he did not die and I definitely did not cry anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hjalmar posted:

The part in season 1 of Dragon Ball where Emperor Pilaf has Bulma restrained is a flawless execution of exactly the joke they ought to be making with Roshi but never actually do. I really hope the dub does something to fix the grosser scenes because otherwise the way Super has dealt with Roshi has been superb. I love that they brought the evil containment wave back into relevance. I love that his longevity is from consuming the dankest weed on earth. I love that he's shown to use all of his crafty tricks like when he fought Goku as a kid. I love that Krillin and Goku still look up to him like a father.

As things are, Roshi's one hell of a "Milkshake Duck" of a character.

I agree. Outside of his creepy vibe, Roshi is a great character who basically smokes weed and trains his students to be the best martial artists. I'm not against having perverted characters, maybe just not make it so... weird. Like, Jiraiya was a perv, but it usually was at his own expense, i.e. Tsunade beating the poo poo out of him.

The line of "he'll make me undesirable as a wife" was pretty bad, yikes. Krillin being an enabler of "he was just acting", come on man.

Edit: Everybody loves Master Roshi, earth's greatest martial artist! *5 seconds later* we regret to inform you Roshi is a pervert.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Your postin' style is worth studyin'.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Is the lecherous old man thing a common trope in Japanese media?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Rumours" is a very weird word to use for something that's already been confirmed, that has appeared in two images and now in a video.

As unlikely as it is, I'm still wishing that this is a fake-out somehow and Gohan's the one getting this new power-up. It just bugs me that despite being the cause of this mess in the first place, not only is Goku being rewarded with all the fights he wants, he also a brand new power-up.

To use the midlife crisis analogy mentioned before, this is like Goku screwing things up financially for his family and friends to purchase a sports car so that he could go on a road rage. Only he's awarded with a brand new car for doing that, while the news tells everyone what he did was fine since the people he ran over were going to die of old age anyway, and isn't it cool how he sent them flying?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ok but goku causing this tournament is the only reason any universe has a chance at all. he fell backwards into providing the only chance anyone had at salvation. even the characters acknowledge this

gohan will probably get a new form as well but goku is the main character so of course he's gonna get one

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I almost cried when it looked like Roshi would die, but he did not die and I definitely did not cry anyway.
Roshi dying of natural causes would have made this tournament pretty emotional but that didn't happen so :v:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok but goku causing this tournament is the only reason any universe has a chance at all.

This just really isn't supported by the futures that we've seen

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Roshi dies and everyone from Universe 7 is devastated but Goku. Even Vegeta shows emotion.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is there any particular reason why Gohan is such a fan favorite? He had two chances, almost blew one, and certainly blew the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the cell fight

Saagonsa posted:

This just really isn't supported by the futures that we've seen

those are functionally parallel dimensions. the characters literally say that goku doing this saved them. it's not really up for debate