Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Mine arrived today. It's shrinkwrapped which means there shouldn't be any damage to it during shipment. You'd think every art book publisher did this, but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Are people who are receiving their's in the US? I'm wondering if I should go check my mailbox because I haven't today, but I feel like they would drop a package this big off at your doorstep. I also pre-ordered mine like a month or two ago so I hope that doesn't delay the shipment even more. From what I've seen of the scans people have posted on Reddit it definitely looks like it was worth getting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm in EU and ordered from Book Depository eons ago.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm in US, and ordered around game launch time from amazon. It shows as shipping today.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Boogalo posted:

I'm in US, and ordered around game launch time from amazon. It shows as shipping today.

Arrived and they sent me two on accident, no extra charges on my account. :woop:

Wow, its not just an artbook, but a start to finish design document. Really cool.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 21, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Wow, its not just an artbook, but a start to finish design document. Really cool.

Just opened mine and my god are you right. It's full of early sketches and designs, many by Ueda himself, and covers the history and motivation behind lots of design decisions. (The page I have open right now says that the overall level flow was completed while it was still a PS3 game!) They authors clearly had great access to the dev team, this is like an extremely polished project postmortem.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Found a couple paragraphs that I have to share. This is talking about the mirror room:

quote:

Ueda won't reveal too much about this special area, focusing his comments primarily on the pool in the room's center -- noting that it is itself a kind of large mirror, something he wants people to take away from it. "I'm not saying that it connects The Last Guardian and Shadow directly, but the spring is a thing like the Mirror, and the underside of the Mirror could be connected to the world on the other side of the pool. Another world could exist on the other side, though...maybe it's a world of things that haven't happened, or maybe it is the world of Shadow...You can think about what it means."

quote:

Jumping ahead a bit in the story, we asked Ueda to explain the workings behind the sacrifice of the children that both powers the Valley and feeds the trico creatures. "It's not just the barrels themselves that matter for the tricos. The chosen ones aren't transformed into barrels or anything, but into something much more important -- and as a byproduct, the stuff that's in the barrels is produced. It is probably related to the mist that comes from the pots, and the energy that powers the Yoroi. But at first I was thinking about the sarcophagus in the mirror room, and that energy being used to revive or bring to life whatever is in it.

And I just read that the boy's tattoos grow over the course of the game, and will grow more the more that you get grabbed by enemies.

I LOVE THIS BOOK

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I must have been grabbed a lot because his tattoo growth was super obvious in my game. He was pretty much covered by the end

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this the future press book or the Sony one you guys are taking about? FP I'm assuming?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I'm referring to the Future Press book.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Found a couple paragraphs that I have to share. This is talking about the mirror room:

And I just read that the boy's tattoos grow over the course of the game, and will grow more the more that you get grabbed by enemies.

I LOVE THIS BOOK

So that pretty much confirms that the barrels are not direct by-products of the kids but that the kids are being used as spiritual sacrifices to power the Master, who in turn is keeping the economy of a dead civilization humming.

The question remains, are the villages knowingly sacrificing children to the Master of the nest in exchange for safety?

I reiterate some of my first posts in this thread upon completion:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is how I felt about it too, but maybe kind of like an AI/machine sort of way, it's there to protect the nest or its systems/ideologies/production lines. Like a toxic or catastrophic economy on autopilot but nobody's alive to use it.

That, or the civilization created a 'guardian' out of weird magic-tech to run the place and it was corrupted, so the villagers all fled it like some Chernobyl hot-zone but not before they made a pavlovian perpetual motion machine of brainwashed tricos and automated, blue-goo-wifi statue servants to keep the prison's engine running, then the only piece left to account for is child sacrifices for the continued safety of the villages. It'd be pretty tragic if the villagers are sacrificing their future to rectify the past or keep it buried. Not an entirely uncommon thing for humans to do tho.

Ico had a child sacrifice vibe going for it as well, though I got the impression that the horned children in that story were also 'tainted' in some way, mutated by something in the environment (black goo, Dormin). And Shadow of the Colossus really hammers home Wander's sacrifice with the whole 'Forbidden Lands' area being a giant organized containment device or oil well with a spigot in the form of a ritual "reanimation chamber", and all you need to do to bring back a dead loved one is make yourself a ritual sacrifice deal with the devil/machine. That, or the colossi are contained failed experiments modeled using truncated knowledge of tricos. Seems to me that there are quite a few technology vs environmentalism themes running through the trilogy, and that the folly of most of the civilizations depicted is too much curiosity/greed.

Lastly, my guess would be that the timeline goes TLG > SotC > ICO, as the events at the end of SotC strongly imply that the castle they ascend to is an early build of the castle in ICO, that Mono eventually becomes the Dark Queen, and that Wander is reborn as the first horned-child and plants the seed of the horns curse in the villages.

I bet Yorda is an incarnation of the same blue energy that's used to contain the Master in TLG. Also, there is a progression in armor and clothing worn by characters in all three games that suggests material sophistication as the timeline progresses from TLG>SotC>ICO.

The barrels are full of a slurry refined from the mines, a substance that is naturally appealing to tricos.

The kids seem to be harnessed like batteries of psychic energy that maintains systems and keeps The Master (now corrupted) on autopilot, both confined and functional. They are sacrificial in a way, locked away like the horned children in Ico (another game with psychic energy).

There may be a connection between the blue slurry refining process and the psychic battery energy, but I think it's more indirect than 1 to 1, the children acting more like a catalytic agent in the refinement of this precious resource. The doesn't seem to be anything indicating that the children are made into lunch, but they are definitely being sacrificed to a machine, Pink Floyd style.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The question remains, are the villages knowingly sacrificing children to the Master of the nest in exchange for safety?

The book doesn't really consider this, rather it gives the impression that who gets chosen is decided by the tricos or the Master, or both. The people (apparently it's not only kids who are taken) are "chosen" rather than sacrificed, and it describes the tricos as "raiding" villages. It also makes sense with what happens in the cutscene -- if I were willingly sacrificing someone, I'd offer them up somewhere far away from everything I'm trying to protect. I wouldn't keep them in my home next to sleeping children and then raise alarms when the thing I invited to take them shows up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the villagers are definitely not willing participants otherwise they wouldn't be trying to fight off Trico's when they show up.

In retrospect, one thing this game did really well was show how scary a Trico is out of the context that you have as the player/boy. The whole scene with Trico stealing the boy was some serious horror poo poo, but you have this unique insight into the creature taking him which totally changes the dynamic. Very cool. All of the cutscenes in this game are brilliant.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

The book doesn't really consider this, rather it gives the impression that who gets chosen is decided by the tricos or the Master, or both. The people (apparently it's not only kids who are taken) are "chosen" rather than sacrificed, and it describes the tricos as "raiding" villages. It also makes sense with what happens in the cutscene -- if I were willingly sacrificing someone, I'd offer them up somewhere far away from everything I'm trying to protect. I wouldn't keep them in my home next to sleeping children and then raise alarms when the thing I invited to take them shows up.

Yeah, I know, but having your village there is like agreeing to a sacrifice, like living under the shadow of a volcano.

It almost seemed to me that the villagers treated tricos like a fact of life.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Book says the village is a great distance from the Valley, though it doesn't say how far exactly. And the landscape around it is barren to the horizon, so apparently people know not to go near it. The villagers do seem to put up with the tricos, one of the villagers mentions other chosen in a cutscene, but what else can they do when they're just armed with spears besides set up a militia and an alarm system? I don't think they know where the Valley is, and even if they did, how would they attack it?

veni veni veni posted:

In retrospect, one thing this game did really well was show how scary a Trico is out of the context that you have as the player/boy. The whole scene with Trico stealing the boy was some serious horror poo poo, but you have this unique insight into the creature taking him which totally changes the dynamic. Very cool. All of the cutscenes in this game are brilliant.

Apparently the last cutscene with all the tricos was one of the few things that wasn't complete on PS3, and they were assuming they'd have to compromise on it heavily before the decision was made to target PS4.

My favorite tidbit from the book so far: Trico's feathers comprise almost 90% of the ~400k polygons in its model.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I don't know about that either, someone on Reddit mentioned that the book says that this was the first time in that generation of the village that a Trico had appeared/taken a child to sacrifice, but the game says that the elders spoke about legends of the man eatiing creatures, so they're aware of it, but I think the intro graphic with the mythical beasts also hints at tricos being a sort of legend, or a mythic creature passed down through legend. I doubt anyone in the village expected a trico to show up or were even sure of their existence, or knew about the Nest at all. It seems like way too much time has passed between the events of the civilization in the Nest and the time period in which the game takes place.

Also my theory I posted about the children getting separated into dark to power the Master and light to power other things seems to be accurate from what the book says. And I'm pretty sure from what Ueda said is that the light part of the energy is funneled into the barrels. So maybe you kind of are feeding Trico children.. or at least a byproduct of the children.

http://imgur.com/a/VGaM8 also if anyone is on the fence about getting this book, here are like 18 nice images of random pages in the book, some of which has already been posted by acksplode, but lots of interesting stuff about the development and the process and a few narrative things.

I was also covered in tattoos every playthrough, I saw an image of a comparison of the grown up boy in the end cutscene as a man, and one of them didn't have any tattoos on his face, or maybe there were a few but not really noticeable. But yeah by the end of every playthrough the grown up boy in the last cutscene had tons of face tats. Seems impossible not to get grabbed that much, especially in that one part with the six spinning armors that are dormant until you awake them, it seems impossible not to get grabbed like 3-4 times before you can open the door. is it even possible to open the door to let Trico in without waking them up? I can in the first room at least, but I also just realized I probably didn't care about getting grabbed because one of the trophies is to get saved by trico while you're being carried by an enemy. I'm surprised/glad that completing the game without being grabbed isn't a trophy, given how extremely hard and tedious some of the other trophies are (but now that I think about it I guess there's the one scripted bit where you get grabbed). At least the book has specific instructions on how to get every hint in the game, like wait here for 300 seconds, etc. so I might get that trophy if I'm sitting down with the book and just play through casually while reading it, because I do really want that platinum, but there was no way I was going to sit with a guide from the internet and try to do it. It was painful enough doing it with the three barrels I couldn't find on my own. One was obvious, it was just around a corner that was a dead end towards the beginning of the game, don't know how I missed that, but the other two were the ones in the sentinel tower, one in one of the alcoves that the armors throw spears from, and the other which I'm pretty sure requires you to climb down tricos tail to get to, or maybe you can jump down, but it's on a platform below the outside of tower.

Also in those images they basically confirm that the sentinel tower has a sci fi/alien element, and that was their idea when coming up with it but "that doesn't mean what's going on in the game", but I think it is and they don't want to confirm it because it would probably be the most direct thing they say regarding huge plot points that aren't spelled out clearly in the game. God drat, I hope my copy arrives today.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 23, 2017

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Sorry for the double post, but my book arrived and god drat is it gorgeous. I was hoping everyone who preordered it would have received their copies by now and that we could all talk about it, since I preordered it like 3 weeks ago, so I'm assuming everyone else who did also have their's now.

I've beaten this game probably close to ten times and there's so many details I didn't notice! Things I've read so far that are interesting (I've literally just skimmed it, I'm about to sit down and read the whole thing but I'm hoping more people chime in):
-The kids feet get dirtier as you progress through the game, which is noted on the page that shows how many markings the boy gets. There's 8 'levels' or states of markings you can get, I'm assuming the first three are impossible to finish the game with, as the game shows and book says that every time Trico eats you you get more tattoos, and how many times you get grabbed which has been mentioned)
-The crack in the wall leading to the mirror room has a honeycomb/hexagonal texture to it, suggesting that it was built that way to make the structure stronger, and also adds to the 'beehive' thing that's going on.
-Trico responds to your commands if you're in his line of sight. This is probably more helpful to people who are having trouble commanding Trico, but also something I didn't pick up. It illustrates that even if you're on his head/back and he doesn't turn his head/look up, he's less likely to do what you want him to do and shows images of how you can stand on Trico and has lines showing his line of sight.
-The Yoroi, or armored guards, are like evolved versions of each other, with the beige ones you only really see near the tower being more evolved. I believe they also make a comparison to bugs shedding/metamorphosis, also adding to the beehive thing.
-Not really important, but there's a picture of a Trico skeleton concept art that's made to look like at one point in the game you would come across it maybe, it might just be for reference or whatever, but the way it's shown looks like something out of the elephant graveyard in The Lion King, which is why I thought it might be something that was removed from the game early on, or never added.
There's probably way more interesting stuff, but from what little I've read from my own book and from pictures on Reddit, but I thought these were really cool subtle details you would never notice, like the kids feet getting dirtier (I don't know if it's mentioned in the book, but I noticed the boys voice getting more hoarse and cracking as he yells when you're at the top of the tower).

Book is 10/10 if anyone is on the fence about it, get it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 25, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imhotep posted:

-The Yoroi, or armored guards, are like evolved versions of each other, with the beige ones you only really see near the tower being more evolved. I believe they also make a comparison to bugs shedding/metamorphosis, also adding to the beehive thing.

Other way around -- the lighter colored ones near the tower are less formed, like larvae. It seems to imply that they're created in the tower by the master and they head out when they've matured.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Ah, okay, I was just posting that from memory from seeing it on Reddit. Also I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I also saw on Reddit that the book says the Sarcophagus is made of "16 parts" basically implying it's Dormin, or some form of it, which also ties into the pool in the mirror room being a portal. If it's true, this would mean that this takes place before or after Shadow of the Colossus I guess, if the tower crumbling released him and he bounced into the portal to the forbidden land in SotC, or vice versa and that's where he ended up after the events of Shadow of the Colossus.

I think there's also an interview with Ueda that probably happened before the SotC remake was greenlit that says that if they were to do remake that he'd like to add to it and do what he set out to do with the original but couldn't due to technical limitations. It also mentions how they wanted to put more birds in the forests but couldn't due to memory limitations, which seems crazy to me considering what else is in the game, but also I have no idea how video game development works.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Ah, okay, I was just posting that from memory from seeing it on Reddit. Also I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I also saw on Reddit that the book says the Sarcophagus is made of "16 parts" basically implying it's Dormin, or some form of it, which also ties into the pool in the mirror room being a portal. If it's true, this would mean that this takes place before or after Shadow of the Colossus I guess, if the tower crumbling released him and he bounced into the portal to the forbidden land in SotC, or vice versa and that's where he ended up after the events of Shadow of the Colossus.

I think there's also an interview with Ueda that probably happened before the SotC remake was greenlit that says that if they were to do remake that he'd like to add to it and do what he set out to do with the original but couldn't due to technical limitations. It also mentions how they wanted to put more birds in the forests but couldn't due to memory limitations, which seems crazy to me considering what else is in the game, but also I have no idea how video game development works.

Pretty sure TLG > SOTC > ICO

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I've thought that since I beat the game and started reading this thread just because of other little details, or lack thereof, that we see in the game. Ueda was just very vague in that interview and just from that piece of info, it could imply that Dormin could've gone either way through the portal, but I do think TLG takes place before the other two.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
You guys were right, I'm level 74 in Bloodborne, and just got to The Nightmare Frontier, it's loving amazing. Definitely my favorite game of this generation, besides the last guardian of course, it just took a friend to walk me through central Yharnam and get 1 insight so I could level up/learn the mechanics to get past the problems I mentioned I had with it in this thread. I have to admit I didn't think it would 'click' with me like everyone said but it would but after 10 hours of trial and error, I'm glad I stuck it out because it really does do things that video games normally don't for me. Like how the story is told through the gameplay and how immersive and amazing the world and level design is, how interwoven the levels are and how streamlined the game is for an RPG, especially since I was mostly scared it would be more complex like dark souls with all of its inventory and micromanagement (I do eventually want to play those games but I'm scared of playing them after playing BB, I played a bit of DS3 at a friend's while he played my copy of BB for the first time and I really liked a lot of aspects of it, but I wish the gameplay was identical or closer to Bloodborne's, I hope someone can make a PC mod for the souls games so they play like BB if that's even feasible).
Basically thank you so very very much to everyone who recommended it, I'm glad I'm experiencing this incredible game and I'm like 60+ hours in and I don't want it to end, which is rare for me, by the time I get to this point a longer games I usually just want it to finish and see the end. I usually always prefer, at least for 'serious' story driven or emotional games, short and refined over length, like team ico games or Journey or whatever.

Also I beat Rime in like a day and a half, it's probably less than 10 hours even if you go out of your way or get stuck, but you don't get stuck much. At least compared to TLG, the puzzles are pretty easy and repetitive in their nature, but fun. The platforming and movement feels good and it's nice to just walk around the environments and explore and the game is way more varied than I thought, it's a lot more serious and gets pretty dark towards the end of the game. I guess I'm responding to the person who said it wasn't good, or I think they said it doesn't hit the emotional notes that Journey or The Last Guardian does, and yeah, it doesn't at all but it's still a decent game. I think I posted in the PS4 thread the same things essentially, but I'd rather play a game that feels like ico/Journey even if it's just fun and a solid experience and not incredible like TLG or Journey, rather than a game that's well received but is very genre oriented or feels super video game-y or doesn't do anything new, which is why I don't understand the Uncharted 4 review scores, but that's another tangent I don't want to go on.

TLDR: Rime is good but it's kind of expensive to me at 30$, even though there seems to be a lot of replay value that's at least a bit more than just collectibles? Idk, I think there's different endings or outcomes, but I'm not sure. After beating it I'm not itching to go back and see what I missed (maybe if I didn't have Bloodborne or other games on my back catalogue), but I'll probsbly end up replaying it, and for fans of Ico/Journey/maybe even Wind Waker or just puzzle platformers it's worth a play I think, since there are so few games that play or even feel like the games I mentioned, especially 3D puzzle platformers. I don't regret buying it, but I wouldn't recommend it at 30$ basically. Rent it, wait till it's on sale for 15$ bucks or on PS plus.

Sorry for the long rambling post. At the very least, Bloodborne 2 is a realistic thing I can look forward to while I wait for whatever Gendesign does next. Also I'm going to get the Future Press BB book now that I know how great of a job they did with TLG. I was hoping there'd be more discussion about the book now that everyone has it if they preordered it, I've been neglecting it because BLOODBORNE basically.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Glad you're liking BB, and yeah, nothing can quite replace it's gameplay but DS1/DS3 and Demon's Souls all come close, while still having all the amazing storytelling/art/voice-acting etc that is the series trademark. DS2 is also pretty good and has most of the formula down but is a bit of a black sheep to many, missing a tiny bit of that Miyazaki touch that takes those games over the top.

But for the most part they are all amazing, singular titles that tell stand-alone stories with related easter-eggs and shared themes. It's like each game is viewing this big, complex 'thing' but from a different angle and through a different dimensional filter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I prefer Demon's Souls storytelling to Bloodborne and the other games, but Bloodborne feels like a game that really wants to tell you visual stories with vistas and tableaus rather than dialogue and NPC exposition.

DS3 has too much confusing NPC cross-dialogue for me, on top of having to make sure you talk and interact with all of them the right way.

Going to be interesting how they approach it in whatever's next.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
That's exactly what I love about The Last Guardian, the world tells the story and you don't know what's happening until really late. I just beat Queen Amidala, and I realized I have to go back to Hypogean Gaol to progress the story, I think, so I don't know how close I am to the end. But yeah, you guys got it right basically, that's why I love the story and world so much, it doesn't tell you, the NPCs are important but you have to seek them out and can miss them entirely most of the time. Also the game expects you to do poo poo like find a little door on a random hard to get to rafter, to get a third of an umbilical cord... Or find a little opening behind you in an elevator that you roll into and gives you an important story item. It really doesn't hold your hand, and does the opposite really. TLG doesn't go that far, but it's still similar in how interesting it's story is told.

I still don't think I'd like DS3, as soon as I got to the first area after the first boss there were way too many NPCs and I was already over it kinda by that time, with how many menus there are. Like I said it's overwhelming, but again I didn't think Bloodborne would click for me, but not for the same reasons I guess. Plus I did try a few times even when I was skeptical because I appreciated the world (and that was way before I knew just how intricate and interwoven everything is, I was already into the idea that you can see the healing church from the very first area), but I hadn't even reached the areas that *really* interest me, and the lovecraftian stuff is a lot more interesting too.

Ueda said in the Future Press book that he wanted Gendesign to collab with different studios, hopefully they get together with From and make the best video game of all time. Also my friend sent me a quote from an article, so I don't know the context or when/where the article was published, but he said they're working on 3 games, a mech suit game, so like Armored Core, right? As well as something that people will expect and something that people won't expect (UEDA/MIYAZAKI GAME!!)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imhotep posted:

That's exactly what I love about The Last Guardian, the world tells the story and you don't know what's happening until really late. I just beat Queen Amidala, and I realized I have to go back to Hypogean Gaol to progress the story, I think, so I don't know how close I am to the end. But yeah, you guys got it right basically, that's why I love the story and world so much, it doesn't tell you, the NPCs are important but you have to seek them out and can miss them entirely most of the time. Also the game expects you to do poo poo like find a little door on a random hard to get to rafter, to get a third of an umbilical cord... Or find a little opening behind you in an elevator that you roll into and gives you an important story item. It really doesn't hold your hand, and does the opposite really. TLG doesn't go that far, but it's still similar in how interesting it's story is told.

I love that they hid the umbilical cords so well. I think the intention is that you play through the game once or twice, keep getting a "good" ending that feels unsatisfactory, and realize that you never really succeeded in finding "paleblood", whatever that is...Maybe those notes in the School of Mensis might be good clues...

I'm also pretty sure that this is the actual story of your avatar -- it isn't just the player starting a NG+, it's your character waking up in Yharnam remembering only bits of pieces of what feels like a vivid nightmare, resuming their search for "paleblood", and re-entering the endless Hunt as an unwitting worshipper of Paleblood, the hidden Moon Presence. And it's through this repetition that the character eventually gets woke enough to break the cycle.

Great fucken game is what I'm trying to say

acksplode fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 22, 2017

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Just got to the boss of Nightmare of Mensis for the first time... He kicked my rear end cause I finally ran out of blood vials again, and was dumb and didn't take care of those skeleton/puppet things first. But yeh every boss besides Rom and Father Gascoine have been easy, until Martyr Logarius then I realized I should've prepped for him by equipping specific runes etc, and I had the pistol that shoots two bullets rather than one, soon as I switched runes and to the blunderbuss I killed him easily.

But god drat am l close to beating this game? I figure I'm close, fighting the boss of the Nightmare of Mensis, but I want to find two more umbilical cords... I heard one boss drops one and I already have one, so I need another somehow, I'll figure it out. Just wondering, I've hosed around a lottt in this game including starting another character who's level 34 now or something, so I could co-op w my friend who I bought it with, but I have music to make and things to do, and Bloodborne is consuming my life. I want to finish it, but I don't cause obvs it's amazing. Also, just from from reading the Bloodborne thread you should get the DLC before finishing the game, or else you have to play through it again.

Sorry to turn this into the Bloodborne thread, but I really doubted that this game would feel like The Last Guardian, and it does in a way that I didn't expect it too. Obviously doesn't have the emotional connection, but what game does or will ever achieve the emotional resonance TLG does?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's only one more area and a couple of bosses between you and the end, but depending on which cord you already have the last one may be lost to you. There are four total, of which you need three, but it's possible to miss out on two permanently

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Just got to the boss of Nightmare of Mensis for the first time... He kicked my rear end cause I finally ran out of blood vials again, and was dumb and didn't take care of those skeleton/puppet things first. But yeh every boss besides Rom and Father Gascoine have been easy, until Martyr Logarius then I realized I should've prepped for him by equipping specific runes etc, and I had the pistol that shoots two bullets rather than one, soon as I switched runes and to the blunderbuss I killed him easily.

But god drat am l close to beating this game? I figure I'm close, fighting the boss of the Nightmare of Mensis, but I want to find two more umbilical cords... I heard one boss drops one and I already have one, so I need another somehow, I'll figure it out. Just wondering, I've hosed around a lottt in this game including starting another character who's level 34 now or something, so I could co-op w my friend who I bought it with, but I have music to make and things to do, and Bloodborne is consuming my life. I want to finish it, but I don't cause obvs it's amazing. Also, just from from reading the Bloodborne thread you should get the DLC before finishing the game, or else you have to play through it again.

Sorry to turn this into the Bloodborne thread, but I really doubted that this game would feel like The Last Guardian, and it does in a way that I didn't expect it too. Obviously doesn't have the emotional connection, but what game does or will ever achieve the emotional resonance TLG does?

The DLC is unmissable if you like the base game that much, and yeah, do DLC immediately after the boss at the very top of Mensis, before the end boss takes you to NG+

Did you go to Upper Cathedral Ward?

Or you could just take a break and come back to it after you've done other life stuff.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I tried fighting the Wet Nurse once and I basically found that going from the shortcut lamppost directly to the Wet Nurse gets me enough blood echoes to level up pretty much every time I kill all the Shadows of Yharnam and the three pigs with eye balls so I've been farming (I'm level 104, probably way over leveled), so I should buy the DLC now I'm assuming?

I beat the two optional bosses in Cathedral Ward, but the prostitute in Oedon's Chapel is gone and I thought she left one third of the cord? I hope that other lady didn't kill her, she's just sitting there laughing, so I might just go kill her for revenge. I know the Wet Nurse drops the other, but I killed Iosefka already, before I killed Rom...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah probably a good time to start the DLC.

Unfortunately, if I'm reading your post right I think I think your screwed on getting all three cords. There's the one from wet nurse, one from the old workshop which you can always get, but you need either the one from Iosefka or the whore to get 3.

Also, there's a pretty active Bloodborne thread if you are interested.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I lurk the Bloodborne thread it was fun to read the beginning when people were first getting the game and everyone was on the same parts, and I initially started this by saying how much I loved Bloodborne and trying to articulate what makes it so good/what good parts are similar to TLG, but I've got all my questions answered.

And never mind! Arianna was just hiding below the chapel in the sewer, and I killed her baby, so that's 2, then the wet nurse will be 3. That is some hosed up poo poo, to bring it back to TLG, the boy juice in the barrels almost competes with the creepiness.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TLG soundtrack on vinyl

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On a similar note

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/28/16058448/dark-souls-vinyl-soundtrack-limited-collectors-edition-price-release-date

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Bloodborne's soundtrack is impressive, but nowhere near as good as The Last Guardian's, but that's just my taste, and from what I've played of Dark Souls 3 and 2 I'm going to assume that it's pretty similar, but I would think Bloodborne's soundtrack is more my style? Idk, someone link me some of the best Souls music.

I read on the wikipedia page that a ton of work went into Bloodborne's soundtrack, like over 2 years spent with 5 or so composers from different countries, but the music in The Last Guardian definitely contributes a lot more to the game imo, it adds so much emotion to an already emotional work and is a key component to the setpieces that tug at your heart strings (see video I posted above of that Russian Youtuber beating it and bawling, after she calms down she says "Ah God damnit, the musics don't help" ). That's not to say the music in BB isn't amazing as well, I especially love this piece when you go to Hypogean Gaol the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHzagjqOLU and both games use silence and sound design in an incredible way. Now that I think about it, I was probably screaming "NO, NOOOOO poo poo gently caress AHHHHFFUUUUU" instead of paying attention to the music in Bloodborne most of the time, but again, I think music is more essential to what makes TLG so great, even though I love scary rear end choirs singing in Latin (and the creepy rear end toybox music during Mergo's Wet Nurse fight, holy poo poo, I just realized that that music plays in the beginning hearing my friend play it for the first time over voice chat), BUT I still love maudlin piano themes and huge sad orchestral strings with boys choirs more with my video games, and these are my two favorite video games of this generation, but I didn't think about going to youtube to play the BB soundtrack until the song played that I linked to above, whereas I'm trying to learn the piano pieces froom TLG.

Some of my friends make fun of me for mentioning music when I bring up the quality of TV/movies, for instance, I only saw the Revenant because I saw that Ryuichi Sakamoto did the score, knowing nothing else about it and it was my favorite movie that I saw that year ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czv8J1W4yYU holy poo poo, this theme gives me chills still), and I'm going to see the movie Good Time because my favorite musician, Oneohtrix Point Never did the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6vijJdvw0

I'd buy that triple gatefold vinyl and it looks like it's cheaper on the iam8bit site than Amazon, but maybe it's the same in the end w shipping. And I'm glad it appears that it doesn't have that lovely song from the weird rear end promo they put out for TV, that was so weird, I just watched it again and now I'm angry they put this out for probably the majority of people to see, WTF IS THIS poo poo, THE ART STYLE IS SO GROSS AND OFF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kew-LgiyfN4

Sorry for all the links, TL;DR the soundtrack is sick and I'll probably be getting that vinyl. For anyone interested, there's a couple of good interviews with the composer, one that's like an official IGN or Sony thing and another that's the composer and his assistant in a more longform interview.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
BB's soundtrack has a way of leaving a lasting impression when you've heard the same track thirty times dying to the same boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand I barely noticed the music while I was playing because I was concentrating too hard on what was going on, I didn't realise how good it was until I listened separately.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
That's what I'm saying, I listened to Ludwig's boss music and it's amazing, and I only noticed how good it was in the few seconds between me dying and the loading screen, otherwise I don't know if I would've noticed, it''s hard to hear when you're concentrating on not getting one shotted. However in The Last Guardian most of the music happens when you're just watching, there's rarely stressful moments where there's music that you won't notice as much because you're concentrating on not dying or whatever. But the other music in BB that you hear constantly while you're not stressed isn't that engaging, like when you're in the Hunter's Dream, etc. w a few exceptions I guess, one being the Unseen Nightmare music from Hypogean Gaol, although that's a fairly stressful place when you first arrive there if there's any enemies nearby, but wandering around in safe areas listening to that music is creepy as gently caress still. That and Mergo's Wet Nurse were the two that stuck out to me as being truly creepy and fitting, and not something that sounds like typical intense, dark, choral boss music that you don't really pay attention to unless you're listening to the OST.

I'm gonna be so conflicted if Ueda and Miyazaki team up, although Shadow of the Colossus' soundtrack kinda fits in with the emotional aspects of TLG and the darker aspects of BB, so get that guy again. Or Ryuichi Sakamoto and Oneohtrix Point Never teamed up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is what I think about when discussions of Bloodborne's music come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

loving yes, definitely my fav music maybe tied with this *old hunters spoilers I guess?*:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahfb7M7jYvA this one is so good that I didn't even care that I had to keep going back and dying repeatedly because this song, plus the titular boss's screams is just A+ sound design.

This is now the official Bloodborne soundtrack thread, welcome. Wish we could get into some TLG lore as much as the Bloodborne thread is getting into theories about nightmare's belonging to different NPCs, etc..

I guess this would be a good question since the only other "lore" from TLG we have to go off of is from the Future Press book, and I've been watching a ridiculous amount of Bloodborne lore videos as well as reading this Google Doc "The Paleblood Hunt": https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/edit
so I was wondering if the Future Press Bloodborne book is worth it, or if there's better resources online as far as lore goes? From what Epic Name Bro has said it seems like they didn't have too much to go off from the team when making the book, so I'm curious if it's worth it. I mean it seems awesome, a nearly 600 page art/guide/lore book for Bloodborne, but does it get into the lore? And also is there any way to get the Old Hunters guide without spending over 120$ on Amazon?

• Locked thread