Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The dead universes are going to come back so they can reuse their fighters' animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Plutonis posted:

It's gonna be Piccolo

I like Piccolo as a choice but...

Nessus posted:

Android 17 would be perfect.

17 is the best pick outside of Future Trunks it's like his mindset is molded for it

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Guys, DBZ abridged is goo-

Oh, poo poo, i'm late.

Well, it's good, and so is super. I hope both things keep on being great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Monaghan posted:

Trunks timeline died but low and behold there was an entirely new timeline waiting for trunks in which they all existed and none of the bad things even happened.

So I don't think it's as dark your making it out to be.

Trunks left knowing he failed to save his world and would essentially be an outsider to someone else's. Seeing Gohan made him feel a little better, but it definitely wasn't as simple as "There's a timeline that's just like his, everything is fine".

I still have no idea why they thought Trunks' universe getting destroyed as a good ending. Is there a person alive that actually enjoyed the way that arc ended?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Guys, DBZ abridged is goo-

Oh, poo poo, i'm late.

Well, it's good, and so is super. I hope both things keep on being great.

I have some bad news for you about DBZA keeping on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was a very future trunks kind of ending

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, yeah, heard the news. Kinda disappointed i'm probably not going to see the season finale until possibly next year, with the way they've been expanding all over the place.

Still, Cell Saga is my favorite saga, and they did pretty good with it. Not sure what the fuss is all about Bulma being attracted to Trunks at the first sign, I think that was in the original dub and both ripped that poo poo out of Back to the future. They've had awkward conversations ever since they figured it out.

Sure, they're not all winners, but I appreciate it all the same. Look past the dick jokes and appreciate flamboyant Littlekuriboh space tyrant frieza or something.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

DBZA Frieza is great, Littlekuriboh really nails the psycho aspect of the character well. I tried to watch the (unreleated to DBZA) Frieza LP Youtube and that other guy does an incredible Frieza voice but the meme spouting and catchphrases and uuuuUUUUUGH

Momomo posted:

Trunks left knowing he failed to save his world and would essentially be an outsider to someone else's. Seeing Gohan made him feel a little better, but it definitely wasn't as simple as "There's a timeline that's just like his, everything is fine".

I still have no idea why they thought Trunks' universe getting destroyed as a good ending. Is there a person alive that actually enjoyed the way that arc ended?

I did because it was kind of dark and not a Disney happy ending. Future Trunks exists to be relentlessly poo poo on. So it is, and so it shall be.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Goku isn't responsible for poo poo, y'all some victim blaming mother fuckers.

The only person responsible for Zamasu going crazy and ending existence is Zamasu. The only person responsible for Zeno deciding to destroy all universes is Zeno.

Goku wanting to fight someone doesn't make him responsible for their actions. If he had said "hey hold a tournament, and tournaments are only good if something bad happens to the losers" maybe you could make a case he's responsible. But he didn't.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I really wish Future Trunks stuck around and had a Matrix / Enzo relationship with Kid Trunks. Why did he have to leave :negative:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EVGA Longoria posted:

Goku wanting to fight someone doesn't make him responsible for their actions. If he had said "hey hold a tournament, and tournaments are only good if something bad happens to the losers" maybe you could make a case he's responsible. But he didn't.

See, this argument would work except:

1) He's outright told that Zen'o is dangerous and he should not, under any circumstances, go talk to him about the tournament. Both Beerus and Whis tell him so. From his very first appearance, we know fully well that Whis is very intelligent and wise. Yet, Goku decides to ignore him entirely, as well as ignoring Beerus who is literally a step away from destroying him to stop him from doing something stupid.
2) Bergamo attempted to save everyone by waging the universal survival in his match with Goku. Goku then proceeded to not only defeat, but one-sidedly humilliate Bergamo, because he cared more about having a cool fight than saving the lives of an uncountable amount of people.

Goku is 100% to blame for this situation. Not only was he warned, he was given a way out, and he decided to ignore both.

dr.acula posted:

I really wish Future Trunks stuck around and had a Matrix / Enzo relationship with Kid Trunks. Why did he have to leave :negative:

Staying in the present timeline would mean Future Trunks gets some happiness and we know that's just not how he works.

That, or he'd cause the universe's destru- oh goddammit, that happened anyways. Why did he leave?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku was told not to hold back against Bergamo and it's pretty safe to assume that Goku isn't crafty enough to convincingly throw a fight considering his previous attempts are like "I forgot my tractooooooootor" level.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

every day i wake up and thank my lucky stars i'm not the kind of au*ist who gets emotionally invested in the proper assignment of blame for events in dragon ball

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bergamo attempted to save everyone by waging the universal survival in his match with Goku. Goku then proceeded to not only defeat, but one-sidedly humilliate Bergamo, because he cared more about having a cool fight than saving the lives of an uncountable amount of people.

I feel like this was added specifically to make Goku undeniably culpable in the whole thing. As other people in the thread have said, Goku can be absolved in that he didn't know what his actions would lead to, just that Zen-O wanted a tournament and so did he. Erasing universes didn't enter into it until later.

Once he knows that, though, and that there's a way to completely avoid it, he still goes all out. That, and him being fine playing the villain to Toppo's hero, both show that Goku isn't innocent in all this, and willingly shares some of the blame.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
What happened with Dragon Ball Abridged?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

they're on hiatus

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

making a whoosh on the dragon balls

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ryaomon posted:

An unfunny, out of character, cheap sex joke is probably the worst example you could have used but this is dbz abridged and that's a good 85% of their content.

Isn't Bulma the girl that spent a whole arc gettin super horned up for a Gay NotNazi that was beating up her friend?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Isn't Bulma the girl that spent a whole arc gettin super horned up for a Gay NotNazi that was beating up her friend?

The only difference between DB and DBZA when it comes to sex jokes is how much they had to rely on subtext and how much they leaned into creeping on underaged girls.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

Grant deleted all their scripts, smashed all their editing rigs, and broke Kaiser's hands.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jonah Galtberg posted:

every day i wake up and thank my lucky stars i'm not the kind of au*ist who gets emotionally invested in the proper assignment of blame for events in dragon ball

Cool, thanks for sharing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Cool. Meanwhile I'm loving your mother.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Cool. Meanwhile I'm loving your mother.

same

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Grant deleted all their scripts, smashed all their editing rigs, and broke Kaiser's hands.

N-no

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

truly he is history's greatest monster

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

sassassin posted:

That's the only realistic alternative based on what we've seen on screen. His interactions with Hit during the last tournament suggest a grander, cunning purpose. Hopefully it wasn't just Toei filler.

Either Goku is responsible for the deaths of billions due to retardation and fight-lust (potentially rear end-pulling a happy ending via Dragonballs, which would make the whole arc masturbatory nonsense with no consequences),

Goku is going to word the wish wrong and bring back all the universes Zeno killed, including an extremely powerful evil one, that he Goku will need to take on personally

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

NutritiousSnack posted:

Goku is going to word the wish wrong and bring back all the universes Zeno killed, including an extremely powerful evil one, that he Goku will need to take on personally

He'll refer to the wrong Zeno and bring back Zamasuverse.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blaze Dragon posted:

2) Bergamo attempted to save everyone by waging the universal survival in his match with Goku. Goku then proceeded to not only defeat, but one-sidedly humilliate Bergamo, because he cared more about having a cool fight than saving the lives of an uncountable amount of people.

I mean you really don't think the Grand Priest would have noticed if Goku had sandbagged there? He's clearly all for the tournament, doing that just sounds like a good way to annoy him, and possibly Zeno as well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

$10 down on this

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean you really don't think the Grand Priest would have noticed if Goku had sandbagged there? He's clearly all for the tournament, doing that just sounds like a good way to annoy him, and possibly Zeno as well.

Yeah, and Zeno had already seen Goku's fight with Hit, so he knows what Goku is fully capable of. This part really wasn't Goku's fault.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Conga-line gang bang

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

Yeah, and Zeno had already seen Goku's fight with Hit, so he knows what Goku is fully capable of. This part really wasn't Goku's fault.

I think the issue most people get with that scene and why they don't take it as intended is because Goku is so eager and so happy that he won in the end. It makes Goku look like a monster.

Now, I'm firmly in the camp that he didn't do anything wrong because how could he have known Zen-o would do this and it's already been made clear that Zen-o would have erased all the universes without a fighting chance had Goku not suggested the tournament, essentially saving his own universe. But, Goku seems like a heartless rear end in a top hat with how he responds to all this poo poo.

I think some of the dissonance comes from the fact that Goku in the original Japanese is just a hillbilly who likes to fight, but the English dub made him out to be Superman. So some people just don't like this take on him, even if it's closer to the original.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

dragonball is set in a distinctly amoral buddhist universe and goons really really dont like that lol. look at how many tears were shed and continue to be shed over the idea of a ~god of destruction~ lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's okay for people to not like a part of something they otherwise like

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

chill my dude, its just an observation. its a huge culture shock for goons and i find it interesting

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait who is mad about the god of destruction thing.

I mean yeah it's dumb but the celestial hierarchy being dumb isn't new.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

See, this argument would work except:

I like Bergamo. Despite being from the lovely universe, he was the only one who showed any concern over the other universes being erased and did something about it. Guy risked being erased on the spot just by asking the Zenos not to go through with erasing the universes.

Justin_Brett posted:

My problem with that scene is more with the fact that when the Grand Priest told him he can't hold back, Goku says he shouldn't worry since he had no intention of taking it easy in the first place. Like that is a very callous way of thinking no matter how you slice it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

NutritiousSnack posted:

and then Goku will beat the entire universe in a single episode, possibly with an assist from Yamcha.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

They are really hammering home Goku's amoral aspect in Super, which is ok and more interesting than Japanese Superman. Dude is kind of a dick even if he's a good person at heart and cares for his friends.

I still find the entire ToP leadup uncomfortable because Goku has been too busy jacking off his fightboner to care about the sake of the other universes. One could argue that the ToP's entire mood so far has been disturbingly light, what with countless lives already being Oblivioned out of even having an afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Battle of Gods: Beerus gets bored and decides to leave without doing the destruction, even though Goku didn't win.
Return of Frieza: Frieza destroys everything, Whis rewinds and lets Goku take care of things
Universe 6: Nothing
Future Trunks: Infinite Zamasu destroyed, Future Trunks just goes to better future.

Super is pretty clear on things not really mattering.

vegeta had an ice cream and loving loved it so i don't see the point