Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Cersei and Qyburn used Balerion's skull for target practice. I mean, it's only tits and dragons.

She has fond memories of her beautiful son and how he loved to play with that crossbow

Oh how he loved that crossbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

It sounds similar to Man in the High Castle, but I've never heard anyone describe that as pro-nazi.

I made this exact comment, and got hit pretty hard with responses. This article addresses some of those issues:

quote:

The symbols point to something Confederate’s creators don’t seem to understand—the war is over for them, not for us. At this very hour, black people all across the South are still fighting the battle which they joined during Reconstruction—securing equal access to the ballot—and resisting a president whose resemblance to Andrew Johnson is uncanny. Confederate is the kind of provocative thought experiment that can be engaged in when someone else’s lived reality really is fantasy to you, when your grandmother is not in danger of losing her vote, when the terrorist attack on Charleston evokes honest sympathy, but inspires no direct fear. And so we need not wait to note that Confederate’s interest in Civil War history is biased, that it is premised on a simplistic view of white Southern defeat, instead of the more complicated morass we have all around us.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 30, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The Man in the High Castle portrays Hitler as a human being

Not excused for the genocides his psychotic behavior caused and extremely being in the wrong loving place at the wrong loving time allowed

Japanese come across very sympathetically

"Okay Axis folks we got this coast you have the other the middle is absolutely worthless and extremely dangerous as it always has been. Let's stop with the brutality"

got hosed

Italy kinda took a miss in that book/tv show

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 30, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is the first I've heard what the show is actually about. Wouldn't that come off as more anti-confederacy though? To show what non-functional garbage the whole concept of the confederacy was and how if they actually got what they thought they wanted it would be a racist monstrous poo poo show and have nothing to do with states rights or whatever.

It sounds similar to Man in the High Castle, but I've never heard anyone describe that as pro-nazi.

I'm sure their intent wouldn't be to be pro-confederacy, but the nature of the beast is such that this thing would in many ways wind up looking pro-confederate in that even the implication that a theoretical CSA would have been able to continue to exist as something other than a failed state is optimistic at best, and if it did it would have had to become even more brutally oppressive than it already was. Slavery was on the way out as something sustainable one way or the other, as was obvious by the north not needing them enough to keep them because they drat sure weren't exactly that cool with black people*.

*And it's not like things are that great even now.

You're also inevitably going to have some poo poo about the CSA's Schindler or whatever resistance amongst white southerners that I'm sure would actually exist the problem is the really really lovely optics of that because let's face it the people who made the tits and dragons fanfic show aren't the most well equipped to deal with approaching a subject like that.

And you can just put a trump shaped asterisk on everything there since orange julius caesar is actively supporting white supremacists and literal nazis and if you don't think those people would distort this thing then I don't even know what to say.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 30, 2017

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Birth of a Nation with tits

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think it's funny people think that D&D next show will fail due to racial insensitivity where it's going to be a ratings flop from the first episode like Vinyl was and nobody is gonna stick around because it will be D&D writing hammy dialogue full of southern belles and grave looking bearded guys hamming it up while blowing speeches about bizarro analogs to real historical events.

Making really insensitive poo poo is pretty much the show's best chance of success, just keep trolling everybody and generate a ton of buzz I guess.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Making really insensitive poo poo is pretty much the show's best chance of success, just keep trolling everybody and generate a ton of buzz I guess.

ding ding ding

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If the show has the CSA portrayed as anything other than a failed state it's going to be lauded and watched by plenty of racists in the US.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
They're not going to show black people being constantly beaten, tortured, murdered, and worse over every trivial thing you can think of so obviously it's not going to be a realistic portrayal of the csa.

That's kinda the whole thing. Works like this lie and offend by omission rather than what they actually show.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IRQ posted:

I'm sure their intent wouldn't be to be pro-confederacy, but the nature of the beast is such that this thing would in many ways wind up looking pro-confederate in that even the implication that a theoretical CSA would have been able to continue to exist as something other than a failed state is optimistic at best, and if it did it would have had to become even more brutally oppressive than it already was. Slavery was on the way out as something sustainable one way or the other, as was obvious by the north not needing them enough to keep them because they drat sure weren't exactly that cool with black people*.

Agreed in general, but it should be made clear that the only reason slavery was on it's way out was for political reasons, economically speaking it was perfectly sustainable. If the CSA had won (somehow), and not collapsed into a series of failed states (somehow), slavery would have kept on trucking perfectly well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PittTheElder posted:

Agreed in general, but it should be made clear that the only reason slavery was on it's way out was for political reasons, economically speaking it was perfectly sustainable. If the CSA had won (somehow), and not collapsed into a series of failed states (somehow), slavery would have kept on trucking perfectly well.

People who think slavery isn't sustainable probably don't realize it still exists in various parts of the world even if you exclude the countries that 'pay' people pennies per day so they can barely survive in inescapable poverty.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Evil Fluffy posted:

People who think slavery isn't sustainable probably don't realize it still exists in various parts of the world even if you exclude the countries that 'pay' people pennies per day so they can barely survive in inescapable poverty.

Slavery is sustainable. Chattel slavery and the sort of neo-feudal manorial system the South had was not. Conservatism has sometimes been described as someone standing besides the march of history and progress shouting "stop" and, well, the Slaveholder's Rebellion was basically that only instead of just shouting "stop" they also used guns. The war was absolutely about slavery, but wasn't entirely about the South defending slavery from the North; it was also defending slavery from the march of industrialization and capitalism.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, that's a lot of good points. Not that I was ever really considering watching the show anyways, but it can get hosed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought there was already a low budget film version of CSA that came out like ten years ago.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I wonder if they've thought about doing a GoT spinoff where each season is a self-contained story like True Detective or Fargo. They could go to lots of different places/eras that way, get good actors to commit, and maybe bring old ones back. Also plotting would be a helluva lot easier

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

robert's rebellion, but as a coffee shop AU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can't remember which thread I originally posted it in, but I updated this monstrosity.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Play with her arse"
- Robert E Lee

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've noticed that the amount of tits in Tits and Dragons seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of dragons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
CG is expensive. They can't afford to just slap tits on dragons willy-nilly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Slavery is sustainable. Chattel slavery and the sort of neo-feudal manorial system the South had was not. Conservatism has sometimes been described as someone standing besides the march of history and progress shouting "stop" and, well, the Slaveholder's Rebellion was basically that only instead of just shouting "stop" they also used guns. The war was absolutely about slavery, but wasn't entirely about the South defending slavery from the North; it was also defending slavery from the march of industrialization and capitalism.

Yeah bingo, sorry if I glossed over that point. I was speaking only to the specific institution the CSA was trying to keep in place.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This is one of the better succinct summaries of the whole thing.

"Machinery and living wages? Fooey and pushaw! I want to keep all the money for myself at the expense of unspeakable human misery!"

[flash forward 150 years and liberals are currently circlejerking over a Salvadoran woman in Houston who waded through fetid Class 3 infectious water so she wouldn't get fired from her minimum wage hotel job because they think it's inspirational and not tragic because the center and right wing are deeply programmed to love the poo poo out of slavery as long as we replace whipping with threats of devastating consequences and we call masters "job creators"]

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Really the only surprising thing (as someone who was avoiding spoilers) for the season finale was that they decided to make Jon the Aegon stand-in.

I was pretty sure Sansa and Arya were loving with Littlefinger and I have no problems with how that worked out.

I do, however, feel that Euron's statement that he was taking his ball and going home to be exactly what lovely Ironmen would do. "I'm going to ignore the world and hope it goes away and I have literally no plan for how to feed and provide for all the people under my care who live on these desolate, lovely rocks. This is the Old Way."

I'm still waiting for an explanation of where he got those ships from.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I dreamed that GRRM released Winds of Winter, but it was just a compilation of every blog post he'd ever made, with a foreword about how much he hates the show and an afterword about how good of friends he is with Newt Gingrich.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

I do, however, feel that Euron's statement that he was taking his ball and going home to be exactly what lovely Ironmen would do. "I'm going to ignore the world and hope it goes away and I have literally no plan for how to feed and provide for all the people under my care who live on these desolate, lovely rocks. This is the Old Way."

Island dwelling people who happen to be expert sailors tend to not starve unless they suddenly forget how to fish. I think the iron islands, lovely as they are, also are still not-poo poo enough that they might have some sheep or similar livestock?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My favorite in inexplicable GRRM logistics were the lovely islands around Dragonstone which, according to his final opus The Princess and the Queen, somehow supported an entire colony of wild dragons, including a cannibal one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skagos... a mystical wildland. Unicorns still live there, even pirates avoid it.
This uncivilised land is a whole 20 miles off the coast of the mainland.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I want Davos' adventure to Skaagos to retrieve Rickon and Osha and I want it NOW.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This is one of the better succinct summaries of the whole thing.

"Machinery and living wages? Fooey and pushaw! I want to keep all the money for myself at the expense of unspeakable human misery!"

[flash forward 150 years and liberals are currently circlejerking over a Salvadoran woman in Houston who waded through fetid Class 3 infectious water so she wouldn't get fired from her minimum wage hotel job because they think it's inspirational and not tragic because the center and right wing are deeply programmed to love the poo poo out of slavery as long as we replace whipping with threats of devastating consequences and we call masters "job creators"]

:iceburn:

People made better farm equipment back in the day. And if you sat the tractor right you'd find there was a pussy built right in to the seat!

Pepperidge farm remembers.

post sponsored by Smuckers and Chik-fil-a

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Island dwelling people who happen to be expert sailors tend to not starve unless they suddenly forget how to fish. I think the iron islands, lovely as they are, also are still not-poo poo enough that they might have some sheep or similar livestock?

I don't think that noted crazed reaver / weirdo Viking adventurer-mystic Euron Greyjoy concerns himself very much with fishing. That's a serf's job!

It'll be damned hard to build fishing boats when the islands are basically treeless. Which circles back to my earlier question, where the gently caress did his ships come from? Asha took the Iron Fleet at the Queensmoot, the Iron Islands are bereft of literally every natural resource save for iron and fish, and the whole point of the Old Way is that they cannot support themselves and must be parasites on society as a whole. And society as a whole has said, collectively, "these guys are assholes, and can go gently caress themselves".

Asha evidently recognized this at some point, which led to her attempt at becoming Queen, and Balon's father (?) also realized that the Old Way was no longer sustainable, but instead they got Euron and Victarion who will, to put it bluntly, burn this poo poo down around them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mad Hamish posted:

I'm still waiting for an explanation of where he got those ships from.

there will be no explanation.

or they'll say he "paid the iron price"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't think that noted crazed reaver / weirdo Viking adventurer-mystic Euron Greyjoy concerns himself very much with fishing. That's a serf's job!

It'll be damned hard to build fishing boats when the islands are basically treeless. Which circles back to my earlier question, where the gently caress did his ships come from? Asha took the Iron Fleet at the Queensmoot, the Iron Islands are bereft of literally every natural resource save for iron and fish, and the whole point of the Old Way is that they cannot support themselves and must be parasites on society as a whole. And society as a whole has said, collectively, "these guys are assholes, and can go gently caress themselves".

Asha evidently recognized this at some point, which led to her attempt at becoming Queen, and Balon's father (?) also realized that the Old Way was no longer sustainable, but instead they got Euron and Victarion who will, to put it bluntly, burn this poo poo down around them.

You can take the question all the way back and ask how they became the preeminent naval power in the first place. The Ironborn as a whole are a conceit.

Also, in the show, they said Yara didn't take the whole Iron Fleet, just some of it. Plus Euron would have the Silence and his own ships from his pirate lord days.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 31, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dany should have just lit their boats on fire with her dragons. Actually, most of Westeros' problems could be fixed with dragons lighting things in fire.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

...if you sat the tractor right you'd find there was a pussy built right in to the seat!
That was an Ox, and only half of them came with pussies built in.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dany should have just lit their boats on fire with her dragons. Actually, most of Westeros' problems could be fixed with dragons lighting things in fire.

Starting with a fat blunt

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Starting with a fat blunt

cersei got rid of the mace tyrell problem by doing it with wildfire and that's only a couple of letters different

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If I were Dany I would use my dragons to light all my blunts.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I kind of liked this thread's version of the Season 7 story better. More believable Dany/Jon romance IMO.

basx posted:

:siren: SECRET PREVIEW: The Winds of Winter :siren:

Jon Starkgaryen Snow, Undead Warg Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, stood atop the Wall, despairing. The Others had come, and the pale pinpoints of their dead eyes filled the dark field below like a galaxy of stars.

To his left and right, the Wall's last stalwart defenders gave up all hope, and Jon wrinkled his nose at the stench as they loosed their bowels upon the ramparts. Hot brown sludge flowed like day-old cocoa down the legs of their black breeches, freezing in slippery pools upon the ice.

Jon raised Longclaw, an impotent gesture against the vast horde, but he would die with honor - just like the last time, and maybe the time before that.

Then he heard the sound, a deep thrumming like the sound of wind whipping through the banners over Winterfell's high towers. He looked up into the gray sky and saw them, three sets of leathery wings beating down. Dragons. One was larger than his brothers - a black nightmare that carried a slim woman with silvery hair.

The rumors of the dragon queen across the sea had reached Eastwatch months before, but Jon was shocked to see her here, at the Wall. She should have been in King's Landing.

The booming crack of ice breaking brought him back to the here and now. The black dragon had settled its great claws on the wall like an eagle perching on a pine bough, but Jon was startled to see it facing south, away from the oncoming horde of undead.

Then the dragon queen stood on the great beast's back. She looked longingly to the south, and Jon knew that her thoughts were of her birthright, the Iron Throne.

All had gone quiet upon the Wall. Jon's few remaining men simply gawked at the black dragon and his brothers circling far above. In the silence, Jon heard the dragon queen speak, her soft voice clear as silver bells in the crisp air. "To go south, I must first poo poo north."

Jon watched as she hiked her silk robe around her graceful, curving hips, exposing the pale, soft skin of her buttocks. She gave a little grunt, and a steaming torrent of viscous fluid shot out, arcing into the space beyond the wall.
The dragon staggered from the force of the blast, but held its ground. The hot brown liquid froze immediately in the fierce north wind, and as it plummeted toward the earth, the turds became razor sharp crystals of putrid ice. They tore into the ranks of the Others, shredding the cold, otherworldly knights.

Hope surged in Jon's chest, and he grinned madly and shouted at the dragon queen. Just then, another great beast landed on the wall and stared at Jon with its smouldering eyes. Rather than recoil in horror, Jon took two long strides, and without thinking, found himself at the dragon's side, climbing its cream-colored scales to its back.

Something hot moved within him, like a lamprey still wriggling in its pie. He turned his back to the Others, dropped his trousers and gave a great push...

To be continued in 2029 loving never.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the poo poo in the norf!
the poo poo in the norf!
the poo poo in the norf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dragons seem pretty fuckin' easy to take down though.