Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Again, I never said that putting 17 in would mean leaving 18 out. That's a valid concern for female characters in general, but in 18's case it doesn't seem to be a thing that really happens to her. In fact, as of the last real fighting game, Dragon Ball Extreme Butoden, she was a playable character and 17 was an assist character like in this case.

So I'm not really sure that card really applies here, in this specific situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Android 18+17 is a lot more sensible than having them separate. It gives them a unique niche that captured the flavor of both characters while allowing two very-similar characters to exist together. Android 18 being the frontline fighter makes the most sense in that she is the one with by far the most screentime to draw from (even taking Super into account) and fits better from a flavor perspective. (i.e: can team up with Krillin among other things.) Making Android 17 a solo fighter obviously isn't impossible but has less of a niche. You can argue about SSB Goku and Vegeta but there's a pretty large popularity gap to take into account there even considering Super making 17 The Best Character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've just never really seen them as tandem fighters, given that both of their big fights are them fighting alone. The History of Trunks portrayals are more like afterthoughts to their presence in the Android saga or pretty much anything else.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Accel Dance and everything to do with History of Trunks is pretty popular afaik

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess that's where the dissonance comes from because I always think of their fights with Vegeta and Piccolo.

Generally I tend to regard the future versions as different characters like the Trunkses, but I guess that's on me and not something the series should hold to.

Either way as a fan of 17 I'm still really disappointed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've just never really seen them as tandem fighters, given that both of their big fights are them fighting alone. The History of Trunks portrayals are more like afterthoughts to their presence in the Android saga or pretty much anything else.

The two of them are defined as tandem fighters even when fighting alone. The only reason they get to fight alone is because the other is willing to allow it to happen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well that logic, they should treat 19 and 20 the same way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

well that logic, they should treat 19 and 20 the same way.

It isn't like 19 and 20 are in the game and separate. Neither appears in games very often at all in fact except for the same games where you end up getting to play as Apoul or whatever.

One of the most significant portrayals of the Androids involves them fighting together and even when they fight apart they cover each other. (It's literally the basis for Android 17's interruption move.) It makes a lot of sense of them to be portrayed that way especially in a fighting game where unique distinctive traits are important.

Edit: Hell, Android 19 isn't even in Xenoverse, the game with multiple playable versions of Yamcha.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I was presenting a hypothetical - like, if they did this, would it really be as fitting, despite the characters also being treated like a duo where one fights at the other's behest? Either way, I'd still prefer them separate and I don't feel like this does the best possible service to both of them. I am willing to admit though that my vision of them isn't as aligned with official stuff as I originally thought, though.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Again, I never said that putting 17 in would mean leaving 18 out

Given a limited budget and dev cycle time, it means leaving someone out. It takes time and effort to design, draw, program, and balance characters in a game. Whatever the number of characters (and indications have been that it’s not a ton), adding 17 means removing someone else.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is there anything that indicates the game's budget is small? Dragon Ball is a franchise that seems to have Bandai, Toei, and Viz throwing a lot of money around on it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is there anything that indicates the game's budget is small? Dragon Ball is a franchise that seems to have Bandai, Toei, and Viz throwing a lot of money around on it.

Nothing, but that's not what I'm referring to. I meant that they aren't throwing unlimited money at the project, saying "I don't care what it costs, give me Android 17". And the amount of dev time is a lot more important.

Basically, short of an endless dev cycle, they have a set # of characters they can build in that time, at the quality they're aiming for.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, I misunderstood you.

I'm generally worried about the development though. They said in July they were 20 percent done, but it's apparently going to be released in early 2018? That sounds worrisome to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Okay, I misunderstood you.

I'm generally worried about the development though. They said in July they were 20 percent done, but it's apparently going to be released in early 2018? That sounds worrisome to me.

This has been mentioned to you before but video game development is not a loading bar. When they say 20% done that doesn't mean the next 80% is going to take the same amount of time, effort or development. 20% done is just a rough number that means it is early in development, not a die-hard codified measurement of exactly how far along it is. More complex games than this one go from low development % to finished in less time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I get that, I'm just nervous because even with all that, that's still a very vague statement, and while I acknowledge ArcSys's skill and dedication to their projects, Bamco is still involved, and they be hit or miss in regards to the effect they have on people they're working with.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yeah 20% done in game dev means "systems are entirely in place, game works." and then all they have to do is put the characters + art into the system. that is the majority of the work that is put into the game, but they can be worked on simultaneously whereas getting the system itself that they will work on top of running basically halts everything else until it is ready.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Caros posted:

An amusing shot from a one off jump celebration booklet.

haha i love memes

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm completly fine with 17 being an assist because it allows for a more varied gameplay style for 18. Now by having seventeen be an assist, it allows for cool poo poo like 17 being used as an anti-assist tool. DB fighter z is sort of unique in that character balance and each character playing differently really matters.

I know I've seen some DBZ fans complain that they want such and such character and if there's less than 40 characters the games gonna suck, but there's a lot more considerations that go into a legit fighter than something like budokai 3 where they threw everyone in there.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 1, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I'm completly fine with 17 being an assist because it allows for a more varied gameplay style for 18. Now by having seventeen be an assist, it allows for cool poo poo like 17 being used as an anti-assist tool. DB fighter z is sort of unique in that character balance and each character playing differently really matters.

I know I've seen some DBZ fans complain that they want such and such character and if there's less than 40 characters the games gonna suck, but there's a lot more considerations that go into a legit fighter than something like budokai 3 where they threw everyone in there.

Yah I'm really onboard with DBFZ being a legit fighter rather than a fan service delivery mechanism and if that means only one of the symetrical android twins is present that's fine with me. of course they could also make 17/18 alternate costumes like Tekken and Smash Bros dos but either way I think it's the right call not to have both as individual characters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fighting games based off of franchises (MvC, DBZ games and Smash Bros) tend to look for a few things when they add characters to rosters:

1. Is there a way to make a fun moveset with them that isn't too much of a repeat? (Android 16 fits this bill, Duck Hunt dog and Phoenix Wright too) admittedly Smash Bros doesn't do this well with all the clones they get
2. What are we trying to promote right now? (Goku & Vegeta having their blue forms, Rocket Racoon coming to MvC3 as Marvel gets ready to hype GotG)
3. Who's really popular right now?

Namco Bandai will probably request some specific characters too if they wanna promote Super characters.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I bet we see Beerus and Hit as unlockables/dlc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beerus is gonna be the arcade mode boss, I can feel it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

seiferguy posted:

1. Is there a way to make a fun moveset with them that isn't too much of a repeat? (Android 16 fits this bill, Duck Hunt dog and Phoenix Wright too) admittedly Smash Bros doesn't do this well with all the clones they get

Clones are literally "we decided to make a couple clones with the dev time we had left" so they don't actually "take up" any character slots

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
beerus is totally going to be in, hit may or may not be

I feel these in my bones

btw the most recent reference in the game is Buu's victory pose (it's from the Universe 7 vs Universe 8 exhibition) so anything from before then is fair game

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Beerus and Whis are in almost every ep of Super and were essentially the ambassadors for the series' revitalization at all. Beerus at the very least is definitely getting it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Beerus with Whis doing the time rewind as one of his supers makes a lot of sense

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

beerus is totally going to be in, hit may or may not be

I feel these in my bones

btw the most recent reference in the game is Buu's victory pose (it's from the Universe 7 vs Universe 8 exhibition) so anything from before then is fair game

Universe 9. Universe 8 is one of the four best that aren't part of the Tournament of Power.

And yeah, there's no way Beerus won't be playable, he's far too important in the modern age of Dragon Ball to skip a game. Whis will likely not be playable, but he might appear in Beerus' moveset.

My biggest question is what Yamcha will do. I thought the answer was "nothing" but Toru Furuya recorded lines for FighterZ, so Yamcha is in...somehow.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A lot of fighting games have a joke fighter

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Looking forward to the Monaka / Mr. Satan tag team

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Arale or riot

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yamcha is for sure in, one way or another. The Z-Fighters are Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha and Tien, and I don't see them dropping the most memeable character of those six, especially when he has some cool moveset hooks like the Spirit Ball or the Wolf Fang Fist. I also think Beerus is definitely in after they revealed SSB characters, you can't put those in without having Beerus be a part of that whole mess. Everything else is up for grabs, but I'd be shocked if one of these two didn't make it in.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What's the over under on gotenks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raserys posted:

What's the over under on gotenks

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i feel like gotenks is very likely to be included, since he's got like a billion stupid special moves and they all own. plus goten and kid trunks are too important to not include at all, but they don't really stand out much on their own, especially considering young gohan and future trunks are both already in.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'll take the over, so SSJ4 gotenks

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blaze Dragon posted:

Universe 9. Universe 8 is one of the four best that aren't part of the Tournament of Power.

And yeah, there's no way Beerus won't be playable, he's far too important in the modern age of Dragon Ball to skip a game. Whis will likely not be playable, but he might appear in Beerus' moveset.

My biggest question is what Yamcha will do. I thought the answer was "nothing" but Toru Furuya recorded lines for FighterZ, so Yamcha is in...somehow.

Kashuno posted:

A lot of fighting games have a joke fighter

AFAIK Yamcha is not actually a joke character in Dragonball video games. Hercule is just too good of a fit for that role.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yamcha is underpowered but he's got the (arguably) only iconic melee technique in the series

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If I had to bet on the next five reveals, no specific order, it would go something like Adult Gohan, Gotenks, Beerus, Yamcha and Kid Buu, with Kid Buu being the one I'm not so sure of.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If any others from Super, Hit and Merged Zamasu seem like the only ones I'd expect. Beyond that, Gotenks for sure, hopefully Satan, Saiyaman, and Ginyu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Saiyaman, Hercule, Beerus, Nappa, Goten + Trunks