Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

16 months huh, better just re-read the whole thing then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am going to be devastated when Hiro dies.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

chumbler posted:

I am going to be devastated when Hiro dies.

I just binged it. Same.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I finished reading all 18 volumes of Spice & Wolf, and it was great! I'd really written off LNs but now I'm thinking I'll check out SNAFU and Toradora!

The flaws of having a very episodic story came to a head in the last few volumes though. While the stories contained within each individual book of daring mercantile shenanigans were entertaining, the real pull for me was always Holo and Lawrence's relationship, and the narrative climax of that is at the end of 14. The next 4 books were a blur, and honestly 15, 16, and 17 felt like they could have been just one volume. Or 15+16, and then 17+18 become an epilogue volume.

Despite personally losing a bit of steam at the end, I still think it's a great read, and Holo and Lawrence are fantastic characters. Their dialogue and scenes together was always a pleasure. Especially that Side Colours story that was from Holo's perspective - I liked that it gave me a bit more insight to her thinking than Lawrence has, so I always felt a bit ahead of him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Teen Mom, with Worst Case Scenario happening on her first trip to university :v:

I really like Mint's messenger image.

I also absolutely see this either backfiring immediately or in like 60 chapters when Mint shows up unannounced at her door, pissed.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/sndi02/status/882537329205706753

https://twitter.com/OPERA_edt/status/880032047032442880

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
dang ★ dang

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Useless Me.

That got pretty dark all of a sudden. Not bad necessarily, but a little bit of a contrivance to shove the plot along I suppose

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Kaguya.

One of these days, Fujiwara's gonna get herself murdered.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

New Kaguya.

Yep. Also was this the first time we found out that she loves Kaguya this much? I forgot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

*ALERT*

New 14-Sai no koi!
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/14-sai-no-Koi

That twist, lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that the one I dropped because of the insanely creepy teacher?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mikl posted:

New Kaguya.

The heroine Fujiwara is trying to make up for lost ground now that Carol is ahead in the race.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mikl posted:

New Kaguya.

That conversation ran a lot smoother once I remembered japanese doesn't have explicitly gendered pronouns.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably, the author has a thing for romances between middle schoolers and adults.

Or, in this case, middle schoolers and something else.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sakurazuka posted:

Almost certainly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry, *forbidden love* is my weak spot!

Though in this chapter I has to purposefully ignore what age was the new girl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Like I'm not totally adverse to it in other things (though middle school is way lower than my tolerance) but it's presented so creepily on top of actually being bad, I don't get how anyone considers it romantic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kaworu posted:

In truth, since I clearly seem serious about this obsession, what I really ought to do is ACTUALLY learn to read Japanese so I can not only read the stuff that doesn't get licensed, but also enjoy the manga in all of its true and intended idiomatic beauty. And I can read yaoi with none of the absurd censoring they do in the translating like always making high school into college and middle school into high school. Which maybe is a good idea I guess but it's still a pet peeve of mine not because I'm a pervert but because it misrepresents the authors intentions and japanese society and the whole context of how the characters behave. People act differently when they're 15/16/17 and in high school as opposed to 18/19+ and in college.

There's a lot of free resources on learning JPN and most manga is aimed towards 15-25 y.o. so they're not complicated novels w/difficult vocab. TBH, I can read basic children's books but it a very slow and boring process of looking up each kanji and then look for the proper context in the sentence. Twitter is nice for learning basic JPN too as Google Translate will read out the sentences to me.

I've been to Japan when I was back in HS during an exchange trip and most ppl don't mind if you like anime/manga unless you're creepy about it then I avoid you like everyone else see: gamers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

(Looks promising.)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Like I'm not totally adverse to it in other things (though middle school is way lower than my tolerance) but it's presented so creepily on top of actually being bad, I don't get how anyone considers it romantic.

Yeah it was really frustrating because the actually age-appropriate couple was really cute and good, but then there's the predator teacher creeping on an at-risk kid + her enabler fellow teacher who just eggs her on instead of like, reporting her to the authorities. I was planning to finish reading it by skipping the bad chapters and just reading the good couple but haven't felt like going back to it even for that.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I forgot which series you guys were talking about and assumed it was Cardcaptor Sakura, which this also describes

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

This is literally just Arielle. He even has red hair! Come on!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pastrymancy posted:

I forgot which series you guys were talking about and assumed it was Cardcaptor Sakura, which this also describes

It describes way too many manga.

Even really mainstream poo poo like Sailor Moon has the titular middle schooler dating a college guy.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Sailor Moon is really, really weird, and unsettling if you think about some of the stuff it has too much.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Compendium posted:

Sailor Moon is really, really weird, and unsettling if you think about some of the stuff it has too much.

Pegasus. Ugh.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mikl posted:

I still want to believe. Ebino is the best girl.

The latest chapter reminded me that I will be happy with any ending that doesn't involve the MC trying to gently caress his own imagination.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So ReLife is seinen, but lately it has had some very cute romantic moments. :3:

If you'd ever started reading it but lost track, you might consider catching back up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zore posted:

It describes way too many manga.

Even really mainstream poo poo like Sailor Moon has the titular middle schooler dating a college guy.

Mamoru is in high school in the first series, there's only like three or four years difference between them, sure it's a bit eh at that point but by the time they get married like eight years later it's nothing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZiegeDame posted:

The latest chapter reminded me that I will be happy with any ending that doesn't involve the MC trying to gently caress his own imagination.
I think Eve is the head of Eve on Ebino's body, this chapter made it more apparent than ever, especially when she changed clothes. I really wonder where the First Love Zombie aspect will go, it almost feels like the author is trying to move away from the concept as of late. Eve has felt way more like a background character recently, at least until this chapter.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HenryEx posted:

This is literally just Arielle. He even has red hair! Come on!
Despite the fact that H.C. Andersen was on the curriculum of every Danish school when I was a kid, I actually think it's a pretty cool idea to have a gender-bent telling of that tale.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Reminds me of the mermaid from Surplus Princess's rear end fetish.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Not entirely sure which thread this belong in, but the Asahinagu adaptation is coming out soon yay (?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjW_Uqmu81I

Supremely great manga, so hopefully this gets it some attention.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Vampiress Chapter 7, in which Yuunagi breaks all kinds of rules, and some male characters get introduced.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Can we talk about the latest Hatsukoi Zombie? Can we talk about how much I'm digging this new direction? Because it's a lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ebino is the best.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Ebino is the best.
I'm already preparing for the bullshit ending where she doesn't win.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new teen mom

yep, looks like we're headed straight for "backfired immediately"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Today's Kaguya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU