Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
hot take: having buu sleep on the floor in the middle of the arena would be more useful than what half of universe 7 has been doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

raocow posted:

hot take: having buu sleep on the floor in the middle of the arena would be more useful than what half of universe 7 has been doing

thats about as far from a hot take as you can get

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bobjr posted:

I wonder if Goku would mix up one of the other two Namekians with Piccolo.

"Goku, do you think all Namekians just know each other?"

"I mean, yeah, isn't there like only twenty of you?"

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

Is Jiren ever going to actually show a form of character or give a real taste of his abilities before the hour long special on October 3rd? The dude is the most boring, forced rival ever and I'd like him to actually prove himself besides smacking Kale unconscious.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm really not feeling Jiren at all. He looks boring, too. Toppo is way more visually appealing and actually has some characterization, at least a tad bit. Jiren is so bland, just like Hit.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Blue Star posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm really not feeling Jiren at all. He looks boring, too. Toppo is way more visually appealing and actually has some characterization, at least a tad bit. Jiren is so bland, just like Hit.

Hit at least has a vaguely interesting powerset, unlike Jiren whose power at the moment appears to be 'is strong.'

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Jiren's design because he looks like someone Buzz Lightyear would have arrested.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jiren is the guy in the opening right?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Black August posted:

I bet Frieza gets a wank episode where he devastates two entire universes into erasure by himself just to level things off

there literally aren't two full universes left for Frieza to murk.

He can totally I guess destroy 2 universes through like 4 eliminations I guess

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

its so weird watching everyone run instead of fly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a.lo posted:

Jiren is the guy in the opening right?

Yeah, grey alien dude with buggy eyes and a huge torso.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jedah posted:

Er.. why, exactly, didn't Goku use instantaneous movement, and one-inch-punch the fat reflector dude into oblivion?

Pickleo says he can't sense them earlier on in the episode so I think that's an actual excuse given that is also somewhat consistent with how things have worked for other universes, because Goku needs to be able to sense something to get next to it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Goku and Vegeta throwing rocks was more hilarious than i expected.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Sefal posted:

Goku and Vegeta throwing rocks was more hilarious than i expected.

It was ok, but they could've also just like jumped 5ft high and just punched him. I know thats a lot of ground for Vegeta, but still

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't exactly like Hit when he was introduced and it took his fight for him to become more interesting to me, but doing the same whole "stoic and taciturn guy turns increasingly excited as Goku teaches him the joys of being a punchman" song and dance again would be pretty boing, as would be keeping him stoic and taciturn the entire time. Those are by no means the only two directions to take Jiren's character in but as is I don't exactly have high hopes for him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hit sucks.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm still holding that candle for pikkon.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Jesus, the goon consensus on Super sure changed dramatically after one bad episode.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Before I caught up on Super I read about how Jiren should be in the new fighting game coming out and got excited to see what he is about. Lmbo I guess he could have the one move where he did a thing and maybe some stuff from the intro

seiferguy posted:

Gohan is smart though.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 4, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hitman Hit takes no pride in his job.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Only time we've ever seen Jiren do anything involving punches is only on the intro so far.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Remember all that character and insight we got into Hit before he actually fought someone yeah?

Me neither.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Remember all that character and insight we got into Hit before he actually fought someone yeah?

Me neither.

The issue is more than so far Jiren appears to be Just Hit Again. They could have some huge surprise in store for him but 'stoic quiet ominous looking dude who stands around until he fights Goku at which point he probably discovers his love of fighting" is sort of.. "welp" when Hit is sitting right there already.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I bet Jiren doesn't love fighting though, I bet he's Anti-Goku where he's super loving good at it but views it as an unpleasant necessity, and not what gives him a 24/7 boner, and he's gonna (try to) take Goku to task over it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd prefer to wait and see before making assumptions like that.

But even then, Dragon Ball kind of repeats character archetypes with minor twists on them as a rule.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

I bet Jiren doesn't love fighting though, I bet he's Anti-Goku where he's super loving good at it but views it as an unpleasant necessity, and not what gives him a 24/7 boner, and he's gonna (try to) take Goku to task over it

That does not preclude him learning to love fighting.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That does not preclude him learning to love fighting.

No I know, my bets is down on Jiren never learning that, or even to like Goku, maybe only so far as to join him for the inevitable Punch The Angels arc

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Jesus, the goon consensus on Super sure changed dramatically after one bad episode.

Has it? Pretty sure most people who previously liked the show still do, and those that didn't still don't. Didn't notice a lot of change there at least.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I hope Jiren just gets casually thrown off the side by one of the other fighters as a gag

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm willing to assume that Jiren is probably a huge rear end in a top hat that only fights because it's a necessity to protect his shithole universe. Probably another guy who has never trained a day in his life

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jiren is the Gohan of his universe

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm not ready to call it either way on Jiren's personality, but one thing I am disappointed about is his and Toppo's dynamic. Toppo said Jiren was his best friend but they've shared a total of zero words so far. Not even a reassuring pat on the back. Zamasu and Zamasu were better friends than these two are.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Toppo knows his buddy really doesn't like to be touched. Really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My interest has waned a bit ever since the Tournament of Power actually started. Hope the finale is more interesting at least.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TheHan posted:

I'm not ready to call it either way on Jiren's personality, but one thing I am disappointed about is his and Toppo's dynamic. Toppo said Jiren was his best friend but they've shared a total of zero words so far. Not even a reassuring pat on the back. Zamasu and Zamasu were better friends than these two are.

It's not fair to compare Toppo and Jiren to the two best friends in the franchise.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a cartoon duck posted:

Has it? Pretty sure most people who previously liked the show still do, and those that didn't still don't. Didn't notice a lot of change there at least.

Since the last episode came out its like people are offloading every complaint they can think of for the show all at once, I just find it weird the way this particular episode managed to prompt that and how much things have whiplashed from going 'Roshi was so cool (perviness notwithstanding) and that scene where he almost died made me tear up' to 'Tien sucks, Gohan is an idiot, Hit is boring, Jiren is boring, I'm not seeing Frieza enough, the show's too slow paced, the show's badly written, when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory etc etc.' Like I do a fair bit of complaining myself about various things, but I just wish people would hold off until the arc actually finishes, and especially until the special airs, before acting like the show's completely ruined.

Like now we're at the point where Jiren isn't chummy enough to Toppo? What? They're in the middle of the tournament of their lives and Jiren, for what little characterization he's had, seems to be the stoic, silent type so I think that's kind of to be expected.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 4, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Leave jiren alone. Stop attacking him. This is wrong yall.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

He hasn't done anything

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think every episode has been good, even the bad ones. Vegeta finally showed up for the first time in weeks after Brianne scared him off, so that was cool

I'm just happy there's actual Dragon Ball to talk about instead of fanwank for the period between GT and now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Best friends don't need constant chatter to be comfortable in each others company.

My bet is that Jiren is a gag character (which is why he's not considered for GoD of his universe, but is nevertheless unbeatable).