Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Every one beneath me is sophomoric and everyone above me is pompous

I am the world's only normal man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

derp posted:

maybe quit being a manchild and accept that people enjoy things other than the exact things you enjoy

the reason someone wants more and varied discussion of non-fiction is because they are angry that other people enjoy things they don't

what

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
To those above me, she thinks, as she chews her bread, I am a pitiable widow, paddling in the shallows of penury; to those below, I am a pampered creature in paradise. All of us are at once objects of repugnance and of envy. All of us except the very poorest, those who have nothing below them but the sewage pit of Hell.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Guy A. Person posted:

the reason someone wants more and varied discussion of non-fiction is because they are angry that other people enjoy things they don't

what

i was replying to the anime watcher and other consistent naysayers, not you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im gonna try and hijack the history book thread but i will fail miserably because

A human heart posted:

it's not like this drat forum has any taste in non fiction either

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am reading the Guns of August and it is very good nonfiction

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am reading the Guns of August and it is very good nonfiction

That's been on my to read list for so long I can't remember how it got there or why

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I wanted to post in the nonfic thread too I had a lot of very specific non-history topics I wanted to inquire about recs for, I might just ask in here or start a new non-fic thread

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Man I wanted to post in the nonfic thread too I had a lot of very specific non-history topics I wanted to inquire about recs for, I might just ask in here or start a new non-fic thread

come derail the history thread with me

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Heath posted:

I picked up The Book of Disquiet again. I bought it a few years ago and had to put it down because it was hitting close to home in an uncomfortable way. The book straddles this weird line between being crushingly sad and optimistic but melancholy.

It's been my bus book for the past few weeks. Something that really strikes me is his seeming content in a passive role in the world, made active through his writing. Even more telling from this is that it was all found locked up in a trunk and posthumously published so the writing wasn't even couched in ambition to be an influential writer or thought-maker. In my edition there's a piece in the introduction about how Soares is closest to Pessoa in outlook, if a little more depressive or glum, but he really came across as a man content to live in his own writing world. I've tried using it at time, to take the simple satisfaction of being caught in the moment of something, and caught in thought about it. The book comes across like someone invented mindfulness in the 1930s but had no desire to turn himself into a guru, or gain fame with it. Reading it there's no way you can imagine the author being happy, but he repeatedly says that's not something he's concerned with, or that what he does is his happiness.

In many ways I wonder about it as a response in privilege. A man who is contended by his life, and with little to worry about it beyond his simple day to day. Is it because of his lack of ambition that he comes across so few barriers, or is it because he has so few barriers he's content to live this simple life of writing, going to a café for wine and a meal (to conflate Soares and Pessoa in the intro,) and conjure up his rumination in writing.

I know if I was him, I'd definitely want something external to justify all that I'm doing, but there's no evidence that suggests this was ever a thing for Pessoa/Soares.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are you reading the Serpent's Tail publication? That's the one I have and I think it's the most recent one.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Heath posted:

Are you reading the Serpent's Tail publication? That's the one I have and I think it's the most recent one.

I am. I have about twenty/thirty pages left. I got the Penguin Classic's one from the library about two months ago, but it was a three inch thick hardback which made it a pain to carry anywhere. This is a lot slimmer, and I've been reading it on my two or three bus trips a week and taking a few pages in.

It seems more of an effortless translation than the Richard Zenith one. His was trying to carry through some of the poetics and rhythm of the original I feel, and in doing so making it a little more obtuse of a read. While still poetic the Serpent's Tale version reads more like someone talking and writing to themselves, and I think it works out better for that.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Disquiet-Complete-Fernando-Pessoa/dp/081122693X

This just came out. Unabridged version, by the same translator as Serpent's Tail, published by New Directions. Also, a cool cover.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

maybe quit being a manchild and accept that people enjoy things other than the exact things you enjoy

derp's getting upset! watch out y'all!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

posters on this forum like to point out that i have an anime avatar for some reason, however i have defeated them because it turns out that urusei yatsura is a great work of literature

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sir John Feelgood posted:

This just came out. Unabridged version, by the same translator as Serpent's Tail, published by New Directions. Also, a cool cover.

i posted that ont he last page but no one pays attention to me

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i posted that ont he last page but no one pays attention to me
I pay attention to your posts, but I must've missed it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
at leas i've got you, john

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Whenever I see you're user name I'm haunted by svetlana alexievich's descriptions of Chernobyl survivors and I go to a dark quiet place in my mind

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sir John Feelgood posted:

The Serpent's Tail paperback looks really good in person but it's printed on that super cheap grainy paper. The cover is on thick cardstock and has a large photo of Pessoa on the inside with foil adornments on the front and spine, so that's nice.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Book of Disquiet is really good but he's no Caeiro

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

come derail the history thread with me

I did this

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Has anyone read john banville? I found an old copy of the sea and I was wondering if he's any good

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
Just finished perfume by süskind which was a good read, fun parody of the romantic. Now I'm reading nostalgia by cartarescu, it's great.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Neurophage posted:

Has anyone read john banville? I found an old copy of the sea and I was wondering if he's any good

i read it a few years ago, but i remember it as one of those books where a melancholy irish man thinks wistfully about things in a very literate manner.

it wasn't my type of thing, but if it sounds interesting to you, it's supposed to be good for what it is

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

i read it a few years ago, but i remember it as one of those books where a melancholy irish man thinks wistfully about things in a very literate manner.

it wasn't my type of thing, but if it sounds interesting to you, it's supposed to be good for what it is

People thinking wistfully about things is very much my thing, so I'm going to try it out, after i finish Perfidia. Thanks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I read the Sea and don't remember anything about it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Read Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea instead, it's obviously better, double seas

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alternatively C by Tom McCarthy which is more efficient

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Nostos posted:

Just finished perfume by süskind which was a good read, fun parody of the romantic. Now I'm reading nostalgia by cartarescu, it's great.

I hated this book so much I threw it at a wall

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm reading Blood Meridian for the first time in approx. 9 years and I'm liking it much better now - I guess it helps that I'm much more used to McCarthy's style, having read Suttree and the Border Trilogy. I love how it's a lot of

Are you sure, he asked.
Yeah, he said.
Yeah, the other replied.

followed by an incredibly profound sentence with byzantine syntax and diction. McCarthy's style rules.

I'm having a bit of an issue with a Nabokov I started, though - Ada, or Ardor - in that a lot of the phrases he uses and allusions he makes are flying over my head. I'll just try to power through; I made it through Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow and clearly understood about half of each, after all, and the next time I go through those I'll hopefully have matured as a reader to better understand them - as happened with Blood Meridian this time.

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 7, 2017

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Finished Orlando and found the ending a bit mild compared to how 'out there' the rest of the book was. pretty entertaining story though.

now im on 'the talented mr ripley' which maybe is not literature? it was on a list somewhere though so maybe it is. its very engaging whatever it is.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

urusei yatsura is a great work of literature

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't know anything else about that series but I watched the Beautiful Dreamer movie when I was like 14 at my grandma's house and it blew my mind out the back of my skull

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

thehoodie posted:

I hated this book so much I threw it at a wall

nostalgia? why

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Comics are art sorry dweeb

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

the wiki is missing many key details, let us know if you have any more specific questions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

you, dumb: Manga is stupid and bad

me, wise: Urusei Yagura is a uniquely feminist analysis of how women in a patriarchal society are forced to either submit as passive sex objects or weaponize their own sexuality as a tool for self-empowerment

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lol at everyone jumping to the defense of a childrens comic book on the Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Real Literature thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

lol at everyone jumping to the defense of a childrens comic book on the Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Real Literature thread

Selma Lagerlof won the Nobel Prize for her children's literature so congrats on being pretentious as well as ignorant