Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except Goku got better in a way that would outpace any gun

maybe the superior race is actually gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Universe 1 has a fighter who's just a gun

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Super Saiyajin Gun Mode

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except Goku got better in a way that would outpace any gun

Maybe he didn't. We just had an episode where the super powers on display were "moving faster than sight" and "anticipating what the guy is going to do" which were basic abilities during DB.

Roshi is relevant for the first time in decades.

Seems obvious that everyone got sidetracked with these flashy gimmicks when in reality everyone got much, much weaker than they were at their physical peak (age 18-27).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raserys posted:

Universe 1 has a fighter who's just a gun

one of the robot universe guys is megatron and turns into a gun that someone else shoots goku with

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alternately the power level gap is never as significant and all-consuming as people made it out to be.

People early on were capable of destroying entire cities or the frigging moon with a single energy blast. Higher power levels are obviously significant but the actual meaningful difference between them is not as significant as intelligent use of abilities and skills once you reach a certain point. The more powerful fighter will win a straight beam fight but could still get killed by trickery or smart usage of abilities. People treated being stronger as effectively becoming Superman but it was never that. All three of the major arc villains in DBZ were immensely durable outside of their power levels. (i.e: even Frieza could survive being cut in half and left on an exploding planet) not BECAUSE of them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

maybe guns "hurt" Goku in the same way a fly bothers a regular person? it's like "ow, that was annoying for a second"

at least, that's how I interpreted it. the old theory is also good, skin is weaker? who knows, it's just punchmans

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Goku is older and has to keep up his training in order to stay fit, and when he got shot recently it was during a time he wasn't training much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Alternately the power level gap is never as significant and all-consuming as people made it out to be.

People early on were capable of destroying entire cities or the frigging moon with a single energy blast. Higher power levels are obviously significant but the actual meaningful difference between them is not as significant as intelligent use of abilities and skills once you reach a certain point. The more powerful fighter will win a straight beam fight but could still get killed by trickery or smart usage of abilities. People treated being stronger as effectively becoming Superman but it was never that. All three of the major arc villains in DBZ were immensely durable outside of their power levels. (i.e: even Frieza could survive being cut in half and left on an exploding planet) not BECAUSE of them.

I mean it was legitimately a big deal in dbz and pretty much how all fights were determined. didn't matter how good of a fighter goku was against freeza; he still needed that multiplier to compete. krillin couldn't even get cell's attention, let alone hurt him, when he wasn't paying attention (destructo disc is filler but krillin attacking cell to no effect isn't). db was before power levels so it was just a matter of being the best fighter and super tries to do that as well. like the krillin/goku beam struggle would have ended in krillin getting instantly vaporized in z but super is drawing that stuff back so other people can be relevant again

doesn't change that it's how z worked tho

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's always bugged me that Super Saiyan 3 parodies Super Saiyan escalation even though it wasn't that silly until Super Saiyan 3. Super Saiyan 2 wasn't even really a thing, it was just Gohan's unlocked potential. I mean, his other unlocked potential, but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean it was legitimately a big deal in dbz and pretty much how all fights were determined. didn't matter how good of a fighter goku was against freeza; he still needed that multiplier to compete. krillin couldn't even get cell's attention, let alone hurt him, when he wasn't paying attention (destructo disc is filler but krillin attacking cell to no effect isn't). db was before power levels so it was just a matter of being the best fighter and super tries to do that as well. like the krillin/goku beam struggle would have ended in krillin getting instantly vaporized in z but super is drawing that stuff back so other people can be relevant again

doesn't change that it's how z worked tho

It isn't true though.

Frieza is the closest to true in that his huge power level gap was a significant issue but Goku had more luck with tricky moves than anything involving pure power short of the Spirit Bomb (whcih still failed.)

Cell was determined entirely by his regeneration, not his power level. Both Goku and Vegeta can and would have killed Perfect Cell if he couldn't come back from basically anything. Same for Majin Buu who was only a threat because he come come back from being literally obliterated, otherwise Vegeta's sacrifice would have ended the plot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing Dragon Ball Super has been doing an excellent job is dispelling the myth that Goku could have ever beaten Superman in a fight

Fucker can't even fight at light speed apparently, the Flash would laugh at him before going to punch Grandpa Gohan in the dick for no reason

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The whole power level thing comes up all the time because it's portrayed really inconsistently. Every time someone gets a new power up everyone is in awe and sometimes literally blown away by how powerful they are. Villains get new transformations and then proceed to show off how they're so cool that they can literally just take punches full to the face without flinching like Cell. Then another time they show a character defeating a much stronger opponent through trickery and technique over raw strength. Like, being a super cool martial artists is rad and all but what are you going to do to someone who can flick a finger and level multiple city blocks and can no-sell anything you throw at them. Unless the plot says you should.

I think the lesson to take away is that it's anime, don't worry about it too much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it absolutely is. people like krillin or tien literally could not even hurt cell at all; in super they probably could

goku and vegeta couldn't have killed cell the way gohan did because he'd just regenerate. it's not like gohan did anything different from cell detonating himself; he was just stronger so it actually counted that time. even after goku blew cell's top half clean off, he still was left weaker than cell afterwards and decided he couldn't win. like you can argue that point if you want but that's silly because the character says otherwise himself. it was the same for buu. goku claims he could have killed fat or kid buu in ss3 if he didn't lose power. the spirit bomb disintegrating buu isn't any different from vegeta doing the same thing. the only difference is that it's stronger and thus actually worked

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

One thing Dragon Ball Super has been doing an excellent job is dispelling the myth that Goku could have ever beaten Superman in a fight

I know and I hate it. :argh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Krillin is bulletproof, too. Launch used to blast everybody with machine guns on the regular for reasons like:
Breakfast is ready
It's time to wake up
Roshi made a remark
Because it's fun

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

deadly_pudding posted:

Krillin is bulletproof, too. Launch used to blast everybody with machine guns on the regular for reasons like:
Breakfast is ready
It's time to wake up
Roshi made a remark
Because it's fun

Actually, it was only 1 reason: she sneezed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
power levels only matter whenever Toriyama/Toei feel like it

in Super Krillin and Roshi can compete with the big boys through trickery and technique, but then on the other hand nobody can even touch Beerus because he's just so goddamn strong and fast

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Android Saga is a masterclass in narrative escalation but it does cause problems down the line.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
And like most of the good bits of Dragonball it's the result of Toriyama furiously drawing while his editor leans over his shoulder asking "Is that it?" over and over.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Goku is like 45-50 at this point cut the guy some slack for getting cut by a gun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku is a grandpa.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
to be fair both he and his son had kids pretty young

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
To be fair he's a horrible monster who deserves a painful, humiliating death.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

...yeah, gently caress Goku!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Goku is going to die in the Tournament of Power and instead of wishing the other universes back Jiren is going to wish for his revival so they can fight again some day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sassassin posted:

He's died twice and that didn't stop him. He needs something bigger and more permanent than death to be finally stopped.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kashuno posted:

Goku is like 45-50 at this point cut the guy some slack for getting cut by a gun

Vegeta mentioned somewhere that Saiyans don't start to show their age until around their 70s, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

The Android Saga is a masterclass in narrative escalation but it does cause problems down the line.

The problems started right at the beginning of Z when Raditz (and by extensions the saibamen) trivially surpassed the reincarnation of the Great Demon King and the spiritually awakened Goku, who were then also trivially surpassed in turn by a chain of like five different tiers of villains before it loops back round to some robots made in the lab of some guys Goku fought when he was 10. Looping back round from Frieza to some Red Ribbon androids who are literally about five million times stronger than the ones Goku previously fought is just the most glaring example.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Appule would have kicked rear end and taken names in Dragon Ball.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress Uub, should have wished Dr. Gero back as a good guy. Imagine how strong his androids would be at this point.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am making a very real guess the next arc skips a few years and focuses on Uub

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kashuno posted:

I think that's a reasonable assumption, anything else would just be spinning their wheels. Make GT great for once.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

Fucker can't even fight at light speed apparently, the Flash would laugh at him before going to punch Grandpa Gohan in the dick for no reason

? he's faster than light. He fought Hit who can stop time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I think you mean focuses on Pan and her rival Uub.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

it absolutely is. people like krillin or tien literally could not even hurt cell at all; in super they probably could

goku and vegeta couldn't have killed cell the way gohan did because he'd just regenerate. it's not like gohan did anything different from cell detonating himself; he was just stronger so it actually counted that time. even after goku blew cell's top half clean off, he still was left weaker than cell afterwards and decided he couldn't win. like you can argue that point if you want but that's silly because the character says otherwise himself. it was the same for buu. goku claims he could have killed fat or kid buu in ss3 if he didn't lose power. the spirit bomb disintegrating buu isn't any different from vegeta doing the same thing. the only difference is that it's stronger and thus actually worked

The Cell thing did not work cause up until Gohan tried they never destroyed his core. (Cell himself admitted he got lucky surviving his self destruct as his Core barely survived.)

Goku was just wrong about beating Buu as he underestimated his durability. And as we mentioned it had less to do with power level and more to do with Cell and Buu having regeneration. If they did not have that they would have died at multiple points. Overcoming the regeneration was more important then overcoming them in power.

I reminded of the time when Gotents and Piccolo blew Buu into tiny bits. Then to prevent his regeneration they started blasting the pieces, but he regenerated from the vapors.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Cell thing did not work cause up until Gohan tried they never destroyed his core. (Cell himself admitted he got lucky surviving his self destruct as his Core barely survived.)

Goku was just wrong about beating Buu as he underestimated his durability. And as we mentioned it had less to do with power level and more to do with Cell and Buu having regeneration. If they did not have that they would have died at multiple points. Overcoming the regeneration was more important then overcoming them in power.

I reminded of the time when Gotents and Piccolo blew Buu into tiny bits. Then to prevent his regeneration they started blasting the pieces, but he regenerated from the vapors.

They overcame regeneration in each case with completely overwhelming high power attacks though, not clever trickery

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the difference

Freeza is the only time in DBZ where power level really, REALLY mattered.

Freeza and Kid Buu both get hit head on by the Spirit Bomb- one of them shrugged it off because he wasn't even at HALF strength yet, the other one was killed because he wasn't THAT much stronger than the strongest hero, he was just ridiculously hard to kill

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

multijoe posted:

They overcame regeneration in each case with completely overwhelming high power attacks though, not clever trickery

Burkion posted:

Here's the difference

Freeza is the only time in DBZ where power level really, REALLY mattered.

Freeza and Kid Buu both get hit head on by the Spirit Bomb- one of them shrugged it off because he wasn't even at HALF strength yet, the other one was killed because he wasn't THAT much stronger than the strongest hero, he was just ridiculously hard to kill

This is pretty much my point. The Regen not their strength was the main reason they had to be overpowered. Vegeta, Goku were weaker then Cell and pretty much everyone that fought Buu was weaker then him, but all of them would have killed those two had it not been for their Regeneration despite being weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

The thing is that the Spirit Bomb isn't about power level though. It in fact explicitly isn't about power level but rather gathering power from many different sources instead. It's a move specifically designed to emphasize the idea of overcoming a single stronger foe with a technique. It is why (even though it fails 2 out of 3 times) each time it is used it is with the help of other people.