Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that the Spirit Bomb isn't about power level though. It in fact explicitly isn't about power level but rather gathering power from many different sources instead. It's a move specifically designed to emphasize the idea of overcoming a single stronger foe with a technique. It is why (even though it fails 2 out of 3 times) each time it is used it is with the help of other people.

Plus, the Spirit Bomb is explicitly destroys evil. Kid Buu was pure, elemental evil so it was extra effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno how Frieza was the last time power levels really mattered. I mean it was the one time where they REALLY focused hard on it with "I'm only using 1% of my full power!" over and over again, and literally just saying people's levels a bunch. But like, Cell kept getting new forms until the only way he could be beaten was by having Gohan power up by getting mad. I'll give you Buu I guess though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My point is in both cases the Z Fighters didn't learn anything or get clever: Gohan destroying Cell with a kamehameha and Goku + Earth destroying Buu with the Spirit Bomb are still both brute force methods based on completely overwhelming power and particularly in Cell's case the solution is literally just for Gohan to become so strong he doesn't have to care about Cell's regeneration.

The Spirit Bomb is a more elegant way of delivering the climatic energy blast but it's still fundamentally about hitting Buu so hard he can't recover at all, the only difference between that and Gotenks and Piccolo attempting to double tap him in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber is magnitude.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but, and this is why I cite Freeza as the last time PURE power was important for the villain

Cell would have been dead long before he even got Semi Perfect. Android 16 would have wrecked his poo poo.

Perfect Cell would have basically lost against Vegeta if he wasn't able to heal from the Final Flash.

And Buu would have died to Majin Vegeta if he didn't have regeneration.

Regeneration made all the difference in the world there. With Freeza, he took their strongest attacks and shrugged them off because of how much stronger he was. None of the other villains could really say that until Beerus

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kashuno posted:

I am making a very real guess the next arc skips a few years and focuses on Uub

Literally no chance the show focuses on anyone but Goku ever again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
One-armed and missing half his torso Cell would have still beaten Vegeta.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

multijoe posted:

The Spirit Bomb is a more elegant way of delivering the climatic energy blast but it's still fundamentally about hitting Buu so hard he can't recover at all, the only difference between that and Gotenks and Piccolo attempting to double tap him in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber is magnitude.

Well Piccolo realized the mistake once he reformed. And stated their problem was they only blasted and burned the bits that were left instead of erasing them.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
sailor saturn can beat all of them

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Zedd posted:

YGO-Abridged did quite a few clever things, It's main issue (even from the start) was running stuff into the ground.
Seto Kaiba's portrayal is still great to me for example.

The odd few episodes we get a year now aren't stellar but I still enjoy them (cause it is still the same poo poo and it makes me nostalgic)

I liked the one based on Season Zero with green haired Kaiba. You need to know YGOA pretty well for the main gag to land, but also vanilla Season Zero is buckwild. Yugi sets a dude on fire without giving a single gently caress.

That's my post. Thank you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

I liked the one based on Season Zero with green haired Kaiba. You need to know YGOA pretty well for the main gag to land, but also vanilla Season Zero is buckwild. Yugi sets a dude on fire without giving a single gently caress.

I always liked the rules for yugi's bullshit mindcrush games.

Like, it seems he can make the rules to be whatever he wants.

:) - I am thinking of a number between one and six trillion.

:confused: - Uh... Seven?

:) - Mind Crush!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Who would win in a fight: Freeza at 100% levels on Namek or Dabura?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dabura. He can turn dudes into stone.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

seiferguy posted:

this is the good poo poo. Does dabura have his sword?

I think dabura would spit and hit a limb, frieza would try to go for the death beam, but daburas hard body wouldnt let it through. Then frieza would try a destructo disk and yes i would say it lands and severs his head.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Half of why I like Dragon Ball is all the bullshit what-ifs you can come up with when bored and daydreaming

Recent scenario ideas includes an Earth Is Hell arc where instead of Namek, Freiza and his army goes to Earth, after Namekians with the Namek Dragon Balls going to Earth to find Kami/Piccolo and their balls, and when they arrive it's right after the androids wake up, and all the ensuing power ruckus brings Majin Buu about, along with the time travel happening as Cell arrives

Cue an ultra arc where Goku and the entire Z-crew have the war of their loving lives and everyone has to be 100%

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HitTheTargets posted:

He also electrocutes a bunch of dudes, puts Kaiba in a coma, and either physically breaks a man apart into plastic toys or puts him in a coma where he believes that to be the case. Season Zero Yugi loving rules.

Kild posted:

? he's faster than light. He fought Hit who can stop time.

Every variety of Lantern can go faster than light, too. Moving faster than light is not a big deal in Superman's universe.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Glagha posted:

The whole power level thing comes up all the time because it's portrayed really inconsistently. Every time someone gets a new power up everyone is in awe and sometimes literally blown away by how powerful they are. Villains get new transformations and then proceed to show off how they're so cool that they can literally just take punches full to the face without flinching like Cell. Then another time they show a character defeating a much stronger opponent through trickery and technique over raw strength. Like, being a super cool martial artists is rad and all but what are you going to do to someone who can flick a finger and level multiple city blocks and can no-sell anything you throw at them. Unless the plot says you should.

I think the lesson to take away is that it's anime, don't worry about it too much.

This has gotten extra bad in Super, God Ki was shown to be this thing that if you didn't have it then you could not scratch a person with it or even sense them, then they get to these tourneys and they never really mention it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

seiferguy posted:

Isn't Dabura roughly as strong as Cell? Frieza wouldn't stand a chance

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

CharlestonJew posted:

Isn't Dabura roughly as strong as Cell? Frieza wouldn't stand a chance

Rewatching it on Kai, Gohan struggles against Dabura, to which Vegeta claims is because he slacked off in his training and didn't show his true power like he did against Cell. In other words, Gohan got weaker (I can't recall if he went SSJ2 against Dabura). It makes me think Dabura is weaker than Cell.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

This has gotten extra bad in Super, God Ki was shown to be this thing that if you didn't have it then you could not scratch a person with it or even sense them, then they get to these tourneys and they never really mention it.

Yeah but then Vegeta said [Thats my Bulba]

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

seiferguy posted:

Rewatching it on Kai, Gohan struggles against Dabura, to which Vegeta claims is because he slacked off in his training and didn't show his true power like he did against Cell. In other words, Gohan got weaker (I can't recall if he went SSJ2 against Dabura). It makes me think Dabura is weaker than Cell.

Dabura was stated as holding back and toying with Gohan. Then he noticed Vegeta would make a great pawn to awaken Majin Buu and left to tell Babadi. Goku and Vegeta state that from first impression how he moved and fought that he was around Cells Level. Then Goku corrects himself stating that Dabura is likely stronger then that during his fight with Gohan.

Vegeta was angry cause both and Goku know Gohan should be really strong but he had slacked off and was nowhere near as strong as he should be.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

You can't scratch them with energy blasts, fists to the face work fine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

socialsecurity posted:

That's not true. Godly Ki is good, sure, but Freeza hit and surpassed that level without any godliness literally one movie later, showing that you can surpass the Gods without ever becoming something other than a normal ningen so long as you have a ridiculous amount of talent and some months of training.

One arc later, Hit was also shown to be stronger than the God Ki-using Saiyans without any clear godliness in him, just 1000 years of experience and a pretty neat powerset.

Trunks then hit Super Saiyan Blue's level through sheer, absolute, unstoppable rage, again without godly intervention (or well, with godly intervention, just entirely negative. Good job, Zamasu).

God Ki is an undeniably useful feature but it isn't the end-all of things, and it hasn't been except in one movie (and even there, Goku only manages to do something after he loses Super Saiyan God, even if he keeps its "feeling"). It's always been about constant improvement through training and dedication, or just being Gohan/Freeza and being born with an insane amount of talent that takes the smallest amount of effort to unlock but they'll never take full advantage of it.

Also I find the earlier argument funny due to the Spirit Bomb coming up, because nearly the same debate happens in-universe in Online's backstory. Seeing the Super Spirit Bomb that destroyed Buu makes Krillin and Tenshinhan reach two completely different conclusions. Krillin finds that a single person's power is not what matters, and that by working together, even a bunch of weaklings can surpass the strongest. Meanwhile, Tenshinhan reaches the conclusion that unleashing a ridiculous amount of Ki in one, decisive blow is the key to any victory, self-preservation be damned. This leads to the creations of the New Turtle and Crane Schools.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I find the earlier argument funny due to the Spirit Bomb coming up, because nearly the same debate happens in-universe in Online's backstory. Seeing the Super Spirit Bomb that destroyed Buu makes Krillin and Tenshinhan reach two completely different conclusions. Krillin finds that a single person's power is not what matters, and that by working together, even a bunch of weaklings can surpass the strongest. Meanwhile, Tenshinhan reaches the conclusion that unleashing a ridiculous amount of Ki in one, decisive blow is the key to any victory, self-preservation be damned. This leads to the creations of the New Turtle and Crane Schools.

These actually sound like cool and interesting takes on the Spirit Bomb. How do they handle the skills for these schools in-game?

Kashuno posted:

I am making a very real guess the next arc skips a few years and focuses on Uub

The ToP has to end with Goku getting the Son Wukong treatment just to be extra sure this won't turn into another GT.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still rooting for Toriyama's idea that Goku becomes the next turtle hermit

Because gently caress the idea that Goku dies fighting Vegeta in space or living to be an immortal fight man

That's stupid

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was always confused about Dabura's strength until someone pointed out he's essentially Demon Supreme Kai, and now it all makes sense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Burkion posted:

I'm still rooting for Toriyama's idea that Goku becomes the next turtle hermit

Because gently caress the idea that Goku dies fighting Vegeta in space or living to be an immortal fight man

That's stupid

Its cool actually

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

I was always confused about Dabura's strength until someone pointed out he's essentially Demon Supreme Kai, and now it all makes sense.

Jeez, that's really harsh on Dabura

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Goku becomes the Turtle Hermit what would Vegeta do then?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

Continue being a trophy-husband?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Krillin became the next Turtle Hermit in the DBO timeline. I like that idea more because I cannot believe Goku would hang out in one place training kids for long.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Jeez, that's really harsh on Dabura

not really, Shin's incompetent but he didn't get mind controlled.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

bobjr posted:

Vegeta likes training Saiyans especially (see:Cabba) so probably the same thing with more saiyans instead of humans

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Here's a pretty good video with legit critism.

https://youtu.be/jfHBrhMM5bk

RBX fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 8, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RBX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?jfHBrhMM5bk

that videos broken

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fixed it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's from last year, much of it doesn't really apply past the first 2 arcs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's a shame that was made over a year ago, since the show has gone through pretty big changes since then, but still clearly has problems. Most of the clips used in that vid were up to the end of the Frieza arc, which I would almost call a different show in how different (awful) it was.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I didn't even notice, it showed up in my recommendations. He has a good video calling Caulifa a Mary Sue but the rest are just ehhh.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RBX posted:

He has a good video calling Caulifa a Mary Sue

Define good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RBX posted:

https://youtu.be/jfHBrhMM5bk

It's ugly and poo poo for 90% of its run-time because it's made on a shoestring meaning budget has to be allocated to highlight in the plot and the better key animators and directors can only do so much because they're only human.

You don't need 12 minutes to explain that.