Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

derp posted:

lol at everyone jumping to the defense of a childrens comic book on the Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Real Literature thread

Who is everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yeah and so did bob dylan for his music. i guess anything can be literature. except aliens or dragons, those are right out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
correct

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
unless the alien is falling in love with a teenage boy and in a comic book, then we're back to literature

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Nostos posted:

nostalgia? why

I meant Perfume. It just made me really mad. I did not realize it was a parody, but that does not make me want to go back and read it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
you vascilate between proudly reporting that you lack the patience to get to page 2 in.... well basically anything and mounting self-pitying defences that whatever you do actually manage to read has worth. gently caress off already.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

unless the alien is falling in love with a teenage boy and in a comic book, then we're back to literature

She an oni you philistine

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Selma Lagerlof won the Nobel Prize for her children's literature so congrats on being pretentious as well as ignorant

Only cuz she was Swedish though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Squishy posted:

you vascilate between proudly reporting that you lack the patience to get to page 2 in.... well basically anything and mounting self-pitying defences that whatever you do actually manage to read has worth. gently caress off already.

lol, i've finished 4 books since i started posting in this thread. how bout you?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Imagine bragging about reading four books in six weeks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like thats not even par

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

derp posted:

lol, i've finished 4 books since i started posting in this thread. how bout you?

4 books lol weak stream bitch

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

how many had dragons in them (not real books, don't count)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you are not reading at least a book a week you are scrub as gently caress imho

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
and only ONE featured robots of any kind

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
no dragons, i havent read fantasy since i was a teen, except grr 10 or 12 years ago and a brief dip into sanderson five or six years ago

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Name the books

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh and that awful name of the wind that i only picked up because so many people went on and on about how beautiful the writing was, but it was just some guy's dnd character selling lamps.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

name the books smashmouth

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Orlando, for whom the bell tolls, the city in the city, peace on earth (stanislaw lem)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

turns out if you bind the back of a cereal box you can count it as a book to use in internet pissing contests.
e: he named the books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

to say you read the books you know you have to have finished them right?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, i know i was complaining about the bell tolling but it did draw me in and i enjoyed it in the end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

yeah, i know i was complaining

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

also why havent you read Aquarium by David Vann yet

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ive only read 22 books this year so far, proceed with the shaming

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So can you spoil who the bell tolled for?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
ask not

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

thee

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it tolled for the republicans, sadly

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Everyone is sad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RIP derp, burned to death by the child loving thread

his life was as short as his attention span

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are not reading at least a book a week you are scrub as gently caress imho

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

With all these new replies, I thought Pynchon died or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Don't put that evil into words you fucker.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

thehoodie posted:

I meant Perfume. It just made me really mad. I did not realize it was a parody, but that does not make me want to go back and read it.

yeah i think the reception in america was initially negative because few reviewers understood it and thought it was a nazi allegory or complained about the plot not making sense lol. a lot of the allusions are probably lost in the translation, but it's basically a pastiche of many classic novels of german romanticism.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sir John Feelgood posted:

nope just me. i died.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the good news is as a ghost i will have a lot more time to read, if i can just figure out how to turn the pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ok

gently caress