Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i know it's season 5 which should explain everything really

but why does brienne start fighting baelish's guards once her proposal to serve sansa is rejected?

couldn't she have just hosed off and not fought people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Didn't Littlefinger give a wink-wink order to take her out and kill her?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I missed it if so

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

*ambles slowly toward gallows* I think I enjoyed at least 2/3rds of FeastDance

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i know it's season 5 which should explain everything really

but why does brienne start fighting baelish's guards once her proposal to serve sansa is rejected?

couldn't she have just hosed off and not fought people?

Littlefinger had just "invited" Brienne to stay with his and sansa's little group,
with the implication that she would be a prisoner.
His guards got angry when she tries to leave, and blockd her path, which she registered as a threat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

His guards got angry when she tries to leave, and blockd her path, which she registered as a threat.

I love the way you phrase this so she sounds like a terminator

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

syscall girl posted:

I love the way you phrase this so she sounds like a terminator

I do think great knights like brienne should be more often articulated as heedless metallic killing-machines 'gainst whom a commoner's expressions of agency are futile, yes

those random guard schmucks could restrain brienne in the sense that I can restrain a truck that is rolling down a hill at me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's robotic as gently caress.

Must avenge renly... Must avenge renly... Protect Starks... Protect Starks...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I finally caved and started reading the first book. I'd always intended to read it once they were finished, but they'll never be finished and the show is really loving bad now. And the book is...good. It's pulpy but you can see Martin's background as a TV writer coming in, where every chapter has a clear purpose, and is always doing a good job making you anticipate the next bit. The bit that impresses me, though, is that he does a really good job writing in a, I don't know, medieval voice. Fantasy, as a genre, is full of knights, princes, kings and princesses who, despite being beneficiaries of a feudal system, are horrified at the idea of slavery, or work really hard to be nice to their servants. Makes sense, since their writers are the products of modern democracies. But Martin's characters don't have that, they talk like people who are the nobility, and grew up with servants, serfs and pages, even the relatively meritocratic northerners. It's a rare thing in fantasy.

Thinking back, wasn't Arthur Dayne supposed to carry 'Dawn'? a massive greatsword? It's a pity, since that stupid Tower of Joy sequence could have been great. I've always wanted to see those greatswords used in a well choreographed scene. Manuals from the time suggest that it was less swinging and more playing pool with other peoples' intestines.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Thinking back, wasn't Arthur Dayne supposed to carry 'Dawn'? a massive greatsword? It's a pity, since that stupid Tower of Joy sequence could have been great. I've always wanted to see those greatswords used in a well choreographed scene. Manuals from the time suggest that it was less swinging and more playing pool with other peoples' intestines.

Yes, the lack of Dawn was the problem with that scene. I didn't give a drat about the historical inaccuracy of dual wielding

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cornflakes posted:

Yes, the lack of Dawn was the problem with that scene. I didn't give a drat about the historical inaccuracy of dual wielding

Also ICe in that scene was the smaller long(bastard?) sword sized prop that Sean Bean is holding in the S1 Iron Throne promos and not the hugeass greatsword that's used a few times in S1.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also ICe in that scene was the smaller long(bastard?) sword sized prop that Sean Bean is holding in the S1 Iron Throne promos and not the hugeass greatsword that's used a few times in S1.

Yeah but that was in the past. The sword was a lot younger then.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snowman_McK posted:

I finally caved and started reading the first book. I'd always intended to read it once they were finished, but they'll never be finished and the show is really loving bad now. And the book is...good. It's pulpy but you can see Martin's background as a TV writer coming in, where every chapter has a clear purpose, and is always doing a good job making you anticipate the next bit. The bit that impresses me, though, is that he does a really good job writing in a, I don't know, medieval voice. Fantasy, as a genre, is full of knights, princes, kings and princesses who, despite being beneficiaries of a feudal system, are horrified at the idea of slavery, or work really hard to be nice to their servants. Makes sense, since their writers are the products of modern democracies. But Martin's characters don't have that, they talk like people who are the nobility, and grew up with servants, serfs and pages, even the relatively meritocratic northerners. It's a rare thing in fantasy.

oh sweet summer child - what have you done to yourself? You realize how hosed you are now right? Yes, the books are good. The first 3 are pretty kick rear end for a bunch of reasons. Oh well, at least you have a few books to keep you busy. And some fun reminders like

>hey... weren't these direwolves supposed to be important?
>what the gently caress happened to Rickon?
>wow, this dick really just ended the "fourth" book with "meanwhile...back at the wall" ?
>huh, so in the original draft Arya and Jon fell in love?
>wait - wasn't winter supposed to be a giant loving deal?

good times my friend, good times.

Something I feel bad for you though - you'll be stuck with the TV casting as your vision of the characters. Tyrion was supposed to be way loving uglier, even before he got his face half cut off. I've never liked the varys casting either. I'm cool with the Jaime casting, and the hound though. It's too hard to "unsee" characters if you start with the TV show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For the most part imo, the cast is a+ for older versions of these characters, save a few who were cast much prettier like Tyrion or Ramsay.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

For the most part imo, the cast is a+ for older versions of these characters, save a few who were cast much prettier like Tyrion or Ramsay.

I always pictured the younger ones as "kids" literally 10-17 year olds - having them played by older people messed it up for me. I mean sansa's actions make so much more sense as a 13 year old. Have you seen the decision making capabilities of an 8th grader? Robb as 16 makes perfect sense for the mistakes he makes... and Jon being annoying as gently caress is spot on - he is an angsty 14 year old freshman in highschool, who is so emo he joins the goddamn Night's Watch - is there a DUMBER loving idea out there? But then again how can you NOT be emo at 14?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, I agree most of the kid characters work best their book ages, Dany and Sansa especially. I just mean as far as the show's casting went, they were pretty spot on for me as aged versions of everyone.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Oh, I agree most of the kid characters work best their book ages, Dany and Sansa especially. I just mean as far as the show's casting went, they were pretty spot on for me as aged versions of everyone.

yeah, I just sort of resent that I lost my "own" images of what they looked like. I can remember how I pictured Tyrion , but not the others. Maybe that is because they were cast so well? Sort of like I can't remember how I pictured the main character in A Clockwork Orange anymore. It's always:

Tyrion was sort of like this, but with a more mishapen head..

.. oh man, someone on my relatives pointed out that the NK looks like bran, and that they think Bran turns into NK. Think they might be right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kcroy posted:

oh sweet summer child - what have you done to yourself? You realize how hosed you are now right? Yes, the books are good. The first 3 are pretty kick rear end for a bunch of reasons. Oh well, at least you have a few books to keep you busy. And some fun reminders like

>hey... weren't these direwolves supposed to be important?
>what the gently caress happened to Rickon?
>wow, this dick really just ended the "fourth" book with "meanwhile...back at the wall" ?
>huh, so in the original draft Arya and Jon fell in love?
>wait - wasn't winter supposed to be a giant loving deal?

good times my friend, good times.

Something I feel bad for you though - you'll be stuck with the TV casting as your vision of the characters. Tyrion was supposed to be way loving uglier, even before he got his face half cut off. I've never liked the varys casting either. I'm cool with the Jaime casting, and the hound though. It's too hard to "unsee" characters if you start with the TV show.

Yeah, I knew what I was getting into and have made peace with it. I finished the Malazan books earlier in the year, and thus am spoiled in terms of 'fantasy series that actually have an ending' I can just enjoy the pretty good writing.

I do wonder what the original plan with the direwolves was. Because it felt like, as you say, they were clearly supposed to be important, then Lady is killed to show that poo poo gets real in these books, then Grey Wind is killed, again, to show that poo poo gets real, and they've just been dying on the show with less and less weight and significance each time ever since. I mean, Shaggy Dog dies off screen and Summer (who's name is determined by a heavily symbolic dream) gets cut down by random mooks while trying to slow them down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The wolves are still very much relevant/important in the books. All the Stark kids but Sansa, whose wolf died, exhibit varying degrees of ability to warg due to the connections with their wolves. Also Jon like, always has Ghost with him.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Man i completely forgot warging. As did the show since Hodor died. I guess Brans ravensight is warging but it feels more like watching. But Arya and Jon both haven't warged on screen, right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nope, I don't think so, and neither did robb. lol remember robb?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nope, I don't think so, and neither did robb. lol remember robb?

I remember that instead of getting Lady Stoneheart we got Cat forgiving Jon for being born

But there just isn't time in the series for everything, tsokay i hear the longer book adaptation will be out for xmas

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

esperterra posted:

The wolves are still very much relevant/important in the books. All the Stark kids but Sansa, whose wolf died, exhibit varying degrees of ability to warg due to the connections with their wolves. Also Jon like, always has Ghost with him.

Sansa wargs into that old dog in the Vale but only so far as being able to tell it's emotions, she's the worst one. Bran is like a super warg, and Arya can warg super far and also do it without having to go into the trance thing everyone else has to do ,Rickon is too young and a textbook case about why wargs are hated, Robb does it unconsciously once. It's probably Bran> Arya>Jon>Rickon>Robb>Sansa

niethan posted:

Man i completely forgot warging. As did the show since Hodor died. I guess Brans ravensight is warging but it feels more like watching. But Arya and Jon both haven't warged on screen, right?

In the show Bran is the only one because D&D wanted it to be Bran's thing and proceeded to never use it. (Nevermind that this ruins Jon and Arya's character arcs no sir.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, without the warging/Arya's wolf dreams, her Braavos plot kinda blows.

e: it also made Nymeria showing up in the show pointless tbh

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Creepy blind arya who uses stray cats to see was pretty rad in the books.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Why are you guys using spoiler tags???

I think it's a pretty cool touch in the books where Lady and Grey Wind seemingly took on personality traits from Robb and Sansa while with the rest of the wolves it seemed slightly more of a symbiotic link, Bran is being warned about how Summer can wind up becoming the dominant partner in the relationship if he doesn't reign in on him, Ghost is really more of a guardian angel kind of character, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

Sansa wargs into that old dog in the Vale but only so far as being able to tell it's emotions, she's the worst one. Bran is like a super warg, and Arya can warg super far and also do it without having to go into the trance thing everyone else has to do ,Rickon is too young and a textbook case about why wargs are hated, Robb does it unconsciously once. It's probably Bran> Arya>Jon>Rickon>Robb>Sansa

In the show Bran is the only one because D&D wanted it to be Bran's thing and proceeded to never use it. (Nevermind that this ruins Jon and Arya's character arcs no sir.)

The Stark kids who are more Tully than Stark like are shittest at warging would make sense. As is obligatory, I believe that's too intentional for GRRM to have done on purpose as I refuse to acknowledge stockholm syndrome with these books.

As for the casting on the show, for the most part they've not put a step wrong. Of all the major characters, I'd say maybe the only one who feels a bit off might be Stannis (surprise, surprise). Nothing against Stephan Dillane but he doesn't really have that intensity about him that Stannis is supposed to have.

I don't think Kit Harington or Emilia Clarke can act well at all, but they're good choices for their characters. For the characters who got more than one season, I'd put Jaime, Tyrion, Cersei, Tywin, Joffrey, The Hound and Davos as the best of the best casting, maybe in that order. King Robert and Ned were obviously pure gold choices too but they were one and done.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Stark kids who are more Tully than Stark like are shittest at warging would make sense. As is obligatory, I believe that's too intentional for GRRM to have done on purpose as I refuse to acknowledge stockholm syndrome with these books.

Tullys should only be able to warg into fish

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It must suck being a Tyrell warg.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bran has the Tully looks though.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lycus posted:

It must suck being a Tyrell warg.

Not as much as a Bolton.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Anyone else that is troubled by Howland Reed not playing any part in the R+L=J-reveal? When reading the books I always figured out that since Howland Reed is the sole survivor after the Battle of the Tower of Joy, and has only been sitting in the Neck producing and drinking sap-moonshine ala Gatormen-shows on discovery channel, he'd be playing some part in the whole reveal. I was kind of betting that it would be a combination of Sam finding out poo poo in the Citadel, Bran's visions and Howland Reed popping out of his shack saying; "Yeah I was there... this is how it all went down..." - confirming Jon's ancestry. D&D kind of botched that opportunity

I don't know what's up the crannogmen in the show. They barely been mentioned, and the Reed siblings are about as written out in the show as one could be. I suppose Meera could pop out with her family and their people to join up in the last great battle, or she'll never be mentioned ever again.

Instead we got Bran dreaminng about Arthur Dayne playing Anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones, confirming that Bran likes the prequels.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

As for the casting on the show, for the most part they've not put a step wrong. Of all the major characters, I'd say maybe the only one who feels a bit off might be Stannis (surprise, surprise). Nothing against Stephan Dillane but he doesn't really have that intensity about him that Stannis is supposed to have.

I don't think Kit Harington or Emilia Clarke can act well at all, but they're good choices for their characters. For the characters who got more than one season, I'd put Jaime, Tyrion, Cersei, Tywin, Joffrey, The Hound and Davos as the best of the best casting, maybe in that order. King Robert and Ned were obviously pure gold choices too but they were one and done.

Stephen Dillane was great.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I agree... Stannis was great. All those great scenes in which Stannis lecture Davos on stuff really caught the character I think.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SirKibbles posted:

IIRC, one of the main reasons Robb was so effective as a military commander was because he was linked with Grey Wind non-stop (and how he kept avoiding/reversing ambushes and such). It's also part of why the Red Wedding is so loving dumb. Grey Wind is going completely batshit as they approach The Twins and the Male Stark Curse Of Stupidty kicks in, causing Robb to get mad at Grey Wind instead of realize that something is horribly wrong.

Ginette Reno posted:

Tywin's casting was more a "Charles Dance is really loving good at acting." He's a good fit for the role, sure, but they could've cast him as any older character in the series and he'd have killed it in that role.

GannerOne posted:

Anyone else that is troubled by Howland Reed not playing any part in the R+L=J-reveal? When reading the books I always figured out that since Howland Reed is the sole survivor after the Battle of the Tower of Joy, and has only been sitting in the Neck producing and drinking sap-moonshine ala Gatormen-shows on discovery channel, he'd be playing some part in the whole reveal. I was kind of betting that it would be a combination of Sam finding out poo poo in the Citadel, Bran's visions and Howland Reed popping out of his shack saying; "Yeah I was there... this is how it all went down..." - confirming Jon's ancestry. D&D kind of botched that opportunity

I don't know what's up the crannogmen in the show. They barely been mentioned, and the Reed siblings are about as written out in the show as one could be. I suppose Meera could pop out with her family and their people to join up in the last great battle, or she'll never be mentioned ever again.

Instead we got Bran dreaminng about Arthur Dayne playing Anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones, confirming that Bran likes the prequels.

The show could still do it next season by having Meera show back up with her dad (and maybe some soldier) so that Bran can confront him about the Tower of Joy and make him confirm the R+L=J thing. Bran tells everyone the truth, nobody believes him, and Howland has to step up to confirm "yes, it's true and I was sworn to secrecy by Ned." Plus given how he felt for Lyanna he'd likely have had zero qualms with wanting to protect her son.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was rewatching the show with a date and just couldn't get over how Bran's actor basically skipped adolescence and just became Geddy Lee from Rush between seasons.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuiperdolin posted:

Not as much as a Bolton.

loving cracked me up... warging into some dude being skinned alive rofl. or maybe ... just the removed skin? you just like.. flap around?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

watching the show with a date

awkwaaaaard

so uh... wow.. incest am i right?

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

The show could still do it next season by having Meera show back up with her dad (and maybe some soldier) so that Bran can confront him about the Tower of Joy and make him confirm the R+L=J thing. Bran tells everyone the truth, nobody believes him, and Howland has to step up to confirm "yes, it's true and I was sworn to secrecy by Ned." Plus given how he felt for Lyanna he'd likely have had zero qualms with wanting to protect her son.

True, I hope you are right. Would be a great way to give us another flashback maybe.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tywin's casting was more a "Charles Dance is really loving good at acting." He's a good fit for the role, sure, but they could've cast him as any older character in the series and he'd have killed it in that role.

I bet he'd do a great Olenna.

Considering the idiotic decisions they've made across just 2-3 generations, I don't know how the hell the Starks have managed to hold the north for millennia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

kcroy posted:

awkwaaaaard

so uh... wow.. incest am i right?

Pfft. We've been friends a while and if we have watched tommy wiseau's The Room and von Trier's Antichrist without issue, I think it'll be fine.