Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Radish posted:

DC comics are this insane world where a criminal can murder a ton of cops multiple times and make it to a jail cell after getting caught without somehow having an "accident" in the squad car and then put in a mental health facility instead of permajail every time. Like even the Joker's whiteness wouldn't protect him from that one.

Tbf Joker is extremely white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just cause the police prefer to murder black people doesn't mean they're going to restrain themselves w anybody else

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Remember that this is a world where people with powers are the norm, so it stands to reason that prisons are designed to deal with that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Seems like the only murder here was my joke.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes, someone with extra tech or something that lacked a quirk could totally be strong or versatile enough to become a hero. But I don't think the legislation is there for that. I don't think there's any reason to doubt, with the information that has been presented to us so far, that you need a Quirk in order to be allowed into a hero course, and without that, you can't become an official hero.

fake e: Going back to the first chapter, Deku says that there's no rule against it, but there's also no precedent. One of those "Well it's not written down but come on kid this is a serious school" deals.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You've got kids that got in with pretty basic quirks, though, don't you? That one girl in Class B can just hit people super hard. The only counter example for things like that is Shinso and he's not exactly a big buff well trained fighter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Slime posted:

Remember that this is a world where people with powers are the norm, so it stands to reason that prisons are designed to deal with that.

Could a prison properly handle a guy whose power was having all the powers though?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

You've got kids that got in with pretty basic quirks, though, don't you? That one girl in Class B can just hit people super hard. The only counter example for things like that is Shinso and he's not exactly a big buff well trained fighter.

But I'm not talking about how effective or not your quirk is, I'm saying I don't think Quirkless people are allowed to become heroes due to bureaucracy, paperwork, and the like.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm hoping we get a Mirio+Deku combo attack like the one he did with Iida. Stain getting hit with the rocket-kick + AFO Smash.

I like seeing bad-guys get hit with mega-impacts like this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAjKQpfISI

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Terper posted:

But I'm not talking about how effective or not your quirk is, I'm saying I don't think Quirkless people are allowed to become heroes due to bureaucracy, paperwork, and the like.

I don't really think that it's necessarily a hard and fast rule that quirkless people can't get a license; Deku was definitely going to try, and he'd definitely be the one to know if it was actually legally impossible because he spends all of his time studying heroes and how they function. It's just that there's massive societal and institutional pressure working against a quirkless person who wants to be a hero. Going through school as a quirkless kid being looked down on by all the kids who have quirks, seeing no quirkless hero role models, then even if your grades are good enough to apply to a hero school you're probably going to have issues with their entrance tests(using UA as an example, how the gently caress is a quirkless kid going to fight robots), everyone is going to tell you to just become a cop if you want to do that kind of work, and so on and so forth. It would take a one in a billion mixture of incredible physical aptitude, intelligence, and raw determination to defy societal expectations to overcome all of those barriers and actually succeed, which is why no one's done it yet. Heroes are a pretty tiny group relative to the populace as a whole.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's a difference between being accepted at UA and being accepted in the Heroics course. A quirkless kid could potentially easily be accepted if they were realistic about it; they'd just have to apply for General Studies like Shinsou did (because he's a clever, good boy). The application specifically for the Heroics course is insanely unfairly biased even when taking Quirks into account, so there's no way someone Quirkless could ever get in without R&D help and in that case they'd be better off aiming for R&D anyway.

Deku, as a reminder, was planning on trying to get into the Heroics course without a quirk... or any physical training of any kind for that matter. He was completely delusional there, just because it wasn't explicitly forbidden.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

There's a difference between being accepted at UA and being accepted in the Heroics course. A quirkless kid could potentially easily be accepted if they were realistic about it; they'd just have to apply for General Studies like Shinsou did (because he's a clever, good boy). The application specifically for the Heroics course is insanely unfairly biased even when taking Quirks into account, so there's no way someone Quirkless could ever get in without R&D help and in that case they'd be better off aiming for R&D anyway.

Deku, as a reminder, was planning on trying to get into the Heroics course without a quirk... or any physical training of any kind for that matter. He was completely delusional there, just because it wasn't explicitly forbidden.

Actually it's explicitly stated when he's arguing with Bakugo that the ban on Quirkless people was recently rescinded and I liked to imagine it's because of All Might as he was quirkless too :kimchi:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

EmmyOk posted:

Actually it's explicitly stated when he's arguing with Bakugo that the ban on Quirkless people was recently rescinded and I liked to imagine it's because of All Might as he was quirkless too :kimchi:

Also remember that All Might himself said that being a Hero without a quirk is kind of a pipe dream considering that their main occupation is dealing with people who use their quirks irresponsibly. Consider also everyone vs. Slime Man when he kidnapped Bakugou, Midoriya might have had heroic spirit but he didn't have any solid plan for actually dealing with Slime Man (an a whole bevy of quirks were useless against Slime Man on top of that.)

Of course the obvious counter to that is someone going Batman and using technology, smarts (including preparation) and a healthy physique to make up for a lack of a quirk. And lets be honest Mirio makes a way better Batman than Midoriya (being trained by Sir who is pretty much MHA's Batman to All Might's Superman.)

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Oh my god Miros dad

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah Mirio's dad was amazing

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also remember that All Might himself said that being a Hero without a quirk is kind of a pipe dream considering that their main occupation is dealing with people who use their quirks irresponsibly. Consider also everyone vs. Slime Man when he kidnapped Bakugou, Midoriya might have had heroic spirit but he didn't have any solid plan for actually dealing with Slime Man (an a whole bevy of quirks were useless against Slime Man on top of that.)

Of course the obvious counter to that is someone going Batman and using technology, smarts (including preparation) and a healthy physique to make up for a lack of a quirk. And lets be honest Mirio makes a way better Batman than Midoriya (being trained by Sir who is pretty much MHA's Batman to All Might's Superman.)

Well he did have a plan using Kamui Woods laquer binding prison and considering plenty of regular heroes couldn't do anything either but the point was Deku tried, that's literally why All Might chose him. Deku vs Bakugo was an interesting look at how conceivable Deku could have fought against someone with a Quirk.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Don't forget about the dude from Vigilantes whose whole deal is beating the tar out of fools whilst having no quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fanart. Like really great fanart.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't think the common man's (well being quirkless isn't common but you know what I mean) ability to beat the crap out of people has ever been in question, only the legality of it.

Tha's some really great fanart.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is the Pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=64832663

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm really happy my good and highly unappreciated friend Shouji has cool fanart as well. I didn't really expect it. :unsmith:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kanos posted:

I don't really think that it's necessarily a hard and fast rule that quirkless people can't get a license; Deku was definitely going to try, and he'd definitely be the one to know if it was actually legally impossible because he spends all of his time studying heroes and how they function. It's just that there's massive societal and institutional pressure working against a quirkless person who wants to be a hero. Going through school as a quirkless kid being looked down on by all the kids who have quirks, seeing no quirkless hero role models, then even if your grades are good enough to apply to a hero school you're probably going to have issues with their entrance tests(using UA as an example, how the gently caress is a quirkless kid going to fight robots), everyone is going to tell you to just become a cop if you want to do that kind of work, and so on and so forth. It would take a one in a billion mixture of incredible physical aptitude, intelligence, and raw determination to defy societal expectations to overcome all of those barriers and actually succeed, which is why no one's done it yet. Heroes are a pretty tiny group relative to the populace as a whole.

Sounds like Mirio's got this "becoming a quirkless hero anyway" thing in the bag, then.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mirio didn't do too bad against Overhaul while quirkless but he was still on the verge of losing at the end. 2v1 isn't really accurate because Chronostasis was laid out the instant before he got shot.

Like being good enough to hold your own in a fist fight against a dude who will INSTANTLY KILL YOU if he touches you with his hands is really impressive but it ain't super-hero material unless you eventually win. Superheroes have to win.

Like Batman may be mortal and have no real superpowers but he still has billions of dollars and prep-time. He gets his lightning knuckle-dusters out and manages to survive X seconds against Superman-tier threats (which is X seconds longer than any other non-super would) when he doesn't have any recourse but he sure as gently caress doesn't win a fist-fight with a Darkseid/Zod/etc unassisted, with them at full power, and him with no gadget to even the odds.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fabricated posted:

Mirio didn't do too bad against Overhaul while quirkless but he was still on the verge of losing at the end. 2v1 isn't really accurate because Chronostasis was laid out the instant before he got shot.

Like being good enough to hold your own in a fist fight against a dude who will INSTANTLY KILL YOU if he touches you with his hands is really impressive but it ain't super-hero material unless you eventually win. Superheroes have to win.

Like Batman may be mortal and have no real superpowers but he still has billions of dollars and prep-time. He gets his lightning knuckle-dusters out and manages to survive X seconds against Superman-tier threats (which is X seconds longer than any other non-super would) when he doesn't have any recourse but he sure as gently caress doesn't win a fist-fight with a Darkseid/Zod/etc unassisted, with them at full power, and him with no gadget to even the odds.

He could maybe team up with the gadget girl whose name I forget, though!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Give Mirio another year or two of training and even quirkless he'd have taken out Chisaki easy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I think you're forgetting that Mirio just lost his Quirk and was still that good hand to hand, he'd be much better if he'd had to practice all this time without a Quirk. Overhaul is also insanely dope hand to hand considering he beat Rappa without a scratch Mirio is a goddamn monster.

e: Like that quickly he adapted to the fact he had to dodge blows instead of allowing them to phase is pretty dope and there was not downtime between losing his powers and beating the brakes off Overhaul

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

EmmyOk posted:

I think you're forgetting that Mirio just lost his Quirk and was still that good hand to hand, he'd be much better if he'd had to practice all this time without a Quirk. Overhaul is also insanely dope hand to hand considering he beat Rappa without a scratch Mirio is a goddamn monster.

e: Like that quickly he adapted to the fact he had to dodge blows instead of allowing them to phase is pretty dope and there was not downtime between losing his powers and beating the brakes off Overhaul
Even if he was better at hand-to-hand, if he had STARTED that fight quirkless he likely would've ended up losing still. He had laid into Overhaul pretty good before getting dequirked, and took several attacks that would've been fatal if he hadn't been impermeable.

I really don't think you can make it too far without a quirk. A workable quirk is the difference between you ending that scrape the victor, and you being "That super tough bastard that fought a deathtouch user for 10-15 minutes barehanded with no quirk".

The problem with the latter is that it's a trick you can only do once.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm gonna be bummed out if Mirio really did lose his quirk. He was a genuinely really fun character and if he gets super sidelined due to this, it's gonna suck. Not thinking in long term developments, just in terms of "Man, I enjoyed watching that dude."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

So what you're saying is that Mirio needs to become Batman.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i sorta hate powerless superheroes who just rely on tech because it tends to lead to stuff like them actually being hyper-qualified and versatile in the same way magic users in a lot of tabletop roleplaying games are - they can do anything, they just do it with technology. it's like how old superman kept having powers invented constantly but everyone realized that's bullshit and uninteresting, but for some reason people look the other way with the tech archetype. i guess it's more realistic for someone to invent a contraption that emulates a new power versus spontaneously mutating one, but it isn't any more interesting from a narrative perspective.

if mirio becomes a quirkless hero I hope tech has nothing to do with it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I'm pretty sure he beat Rappa by exploding him

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah but Rappa specifically says he could never land a hit on Chisaki and considering his insane punch rushes we saw that's a big deal.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

Oh my god Miros dad

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah but Rappa specifically says he could never land a hit on Chisaki and considering his insane punch rushes we saw that's a big deal.

Plot twist: we've been fighting one of Twice's duplicates the whole time. He said he could make two simultaneously.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

i sorta hate powerless superheroes who just rely on tech because it tends to lead to stuff like them actually being hyper-qualified and versatile in the same way magic users in a lot of tabletop roleplaying games are - they can do anything, they just do it with technology. it's like how old superman kept having powers invented constantly but everyone realized that's bullshit and uninteresting, but for some reason people look the other way with the tech archetype. i guess it's more realistic for someone to invent a contraption that emulates a new power versus spontaneously mutating one, but it isn't any more interesting from a narrative perspective.

if mirio becomes a quirkless hero I hope tech has nothing to do with it.

Thankfully I don't see him becoming a tech based hero, his quirk didn't increase his natural abilities it just gave him another dimension for fighting and movement. He could probably still take out the entire 1A class.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hopeford posted:

I'm gonna be bummed out if Mirio really did lose his quirk. He was a genuinely really fun character and if he gets super sidelined due to this, it's gonna suck. Not thinking in long term developments, just in terms of "Man, I enjoyed watching that dude."

I feel like he'll get it back but he might be out of the picture for a while. there is a serum according to overhaul, after all. having him lose his quirk forever would feel like a retread of all might's battle with all for one. plus I just don't think they'd do that to mirio or eri (who'd feel super guilty if mirio lost his quirk forever because of her)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mirio will likely get cured. Chekov's Gun basically.

If some sort of interesting doodad/mcguffin is shown, it has to be used. The perma-dequirking bullets are shown so they have to be used. The serum is shown, it has to be used.

Overhaul is a stepping stone for Shigaraki so he has to lose. The serum being in Shiggys possession would be pointless. I originally figured Mirio's failure would be moral- that he's really super great but when shown the prospect of everything he has ever built up (with hard work) crumbling to dust forever that he might bargain Eri or his honor away to get his quirk back but we're clearly not getting that.

Thus, he gets cured with the serum at some point. He basically has to. If the serum is produced from culturing Eri's blood and flesh like the bullets it leaves a question that's really too complicated/distracting from the main plot if the serum say gets destroyed in a "haha you had hope gently caress you" moment- which is: is it right to take Eri's blood or flesh to make the antidote after everything? Yeah no. If the serum isn't taken at the end of this raid and he gets restored right away, he gets restored at the end of the arc during the likely denouement where we see what happens to freed Eri and Nighteye is forced to admit Midoriya is the better successor.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Miros going to have SEX. That's my prediction.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fabricated posted:

Mirio will likely get cured. Chekov's Gun basically.

If some sort of interesting doodad/mcguffin is shown, it has to be used. The perma-dequirking bullets are shown so they have to be used. The serum is shown, it has to be used.

It doesn't have to be used, it just has to be explained. Maybe one of the Villain Alliance people will abscond with the antidote . Maybe it needs to be used to save Eri in some way. Or maybe they do just give it to Mirio and it's fine. But seeing the antidote doesn't mean much for Miro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overhaul could get away with the antidote and have the next arc be about getting it back to help mirio