Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Kimaris booster pack doesn't fit on the Hi-Mock :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Kimaris booster pack doesn't fit on the Hi-Mock :(

I chopped up the baton from my finished Patlabor kit and have been using the arms from one of the Build Fighters extras (the pirate themed one) to fill the backpack holes

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
RG Full Burnen (Custom Metallic) https://imgur.com/gallery/8aaBS

Felt like taking some pics of this thing while painting my Hyakuri/Mack Knife abomination. Easily my longest project (in terms of hours put into it), i'm pretty happy with how it came out. The shield was destroyed in an embarassing accident I refuse to explain. In fact, there was never a shield, don't gaslight me.

Paints:
Alclad Candy Silver Base - all blue and red parts as the undercoat.
Tamiya Clear Red/blue - overcoat for the colored parts.
Gaianotes Star Bright Brass - Yellow parts
Mr. Metal Color Aluminum - white armor parts
Alclad Polished Brass - inner details
Model Masters Graphite Metallic - inner frame
Model Masters Anthracite Grey - Backpack

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Neurolimal posted:

Man, they really should just ship those zaku tubes preassembled.

In all seriousness glad to hear you're recovering friend

Thank you very much.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm building this zee zulu in a different order than usual, but am almost tempted to leave it like this

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh god the hardest part of this build is here already, god save me, I'm gonna need more microns

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Anyone have advice for doing the mg zaku 2 tubes besides grin and bear it?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

numerrik posted:

The flesh is transient, the plastic is eternal.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

On the flip side here's my zaku 1 I made just yesterday.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
man water slides take forever

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm afraid to transform the head, there's a scary sliding mechanism with the mohawk to adjust the position of the gundam face, and I don't want to bust anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

numerrik posted:

Having never built an MG Zaku II, what's the big deal with the tubing? Are they snap together sections, or are they a solid piece you thread onto an underlying pipe like the RG Zaku II?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone have any idea how long exclusives to Gundam Base Tokyo stick around for?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Having never built an MG Zaku II, what's the big deal with the tubing? Are they snap together sections, or are they a solid piece you thread onto an underlying pipe like the RG Zaku II?

Each little ring is a separate piece you put over the pipe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EthanSteele posted:

Each little ring is a separate piece you put over the pipe.

In which case, I don't understand the loss of fingerprints from them allegedly being so finicky. I did my RG ones without hassle.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Blackchamber posted:

You son of a bitch my money

I have to see if anyone I know can get that for me.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

It seems like they're currently doing events in their exhibition area where they sell exclusive kits only for that event. When it opened they had a Build Fighters event, they're doing a Unicorn one for the completion of the statue next week. I would assume the exclusives not tied to events will stick around for a long time. I'm hoping they're pretty consistent with having events going on so there's something cool for when I go in November.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oh well. Thats still pretty cool, I hope they are doing something when I pass through then.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I don't know if this is cool to post so just let me know if I should take it down. But I'm streaming some RG Exia and HG Hi-Mock building right now. https://www.twitch.tv/gamekiwi

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Found the opportunity to work on my MG Turn A a little more today, and Jesus Christ am I glad that my first time putting together hands with individually-moving fingers went without significant incident.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

do you all have any tips for long waterslides decals that curve around parts (circled)?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hi I'm a scrub who used to build stupid models as a kid, and randomly bought a beargguy san a year ago to sit on my desk.

I got bored and decided to purchase HG The Origin RX-78-01 Local Type Something Something and some Gundam lining markers since I'm also too lazy to paint. Is there anything I ought to know about putting together something more difficult than Beargguy, or trying lining for the first time?

Also, I know nothing about Gundam other than they are cool giant robots. If I wanted to pair the RX-78 with something it'd plausibly be fighting, what would be the best option? There are like several dozen types of Zaku in The Origin HG line alone and they're all pretty cool looking and it's hard to choose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Hi I'm a scrub who used to build stupid models as a kid, and randomly bought a beargguy san a year ago to sit on my desk.

I got bored and decided to purchase HG The Origin RX-78-01 Local Type Something Something and some Gundam lining markers since I'm also too lazy to paint. Is there anything I ought to know about putting together something more difficult than Beargguy, or trying lining for the first time?

Also, I know nothing about Gundam other than they are cool giant robots. If I wanted to pair the RX-78 with something it'd plausibly be fighting, what would be the best option? There are like several dozen types of Zaku in The Origin HG line alone and they're all pretty cool looking and it's hard to choose.

The Red Zakus are for Char. He's the main enemy pilot for the first series. Basically he stabs everyone in the back, flies three times faster, and has a crippling fear of responsibility expressed by dating girls younger than him and throwing giant rocks at Earth. So, you know, that's a good pick.

Green Zakus are the basic ones, so they're good if you want the Gundam to be kicking rear end.

If you got clippers, you should be pretty much set for a first time out. A lot of people recommend two cuts, one a bit away from the piece to reduce stress, and the other to remove the nub. But mostly Bandai's stuff looks good even if you have no idea what you're doing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grab the newly released Zaku 2/C5. It's the most current Zaku release and has the most accessories.
I'd also recommend the Revive and Gunpla Evolution Project releases. They are modern retoolings of older kits and are supposed to push the boundaries of what High Grade kits are capable of. These kits started in 2015 so just check the box release dates to know you picked the right one.

Still waiting on my RX-79[G] Revive, Bandai.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Kuvo posted:

do you all have any tips for long waterslides decals that curve around parts (circled)?

Dampen the surface a little beforehand, try to get the middle positioned correctly first, and use a decal softener like Mr. Mark Softer or Microsol to help it conform to the surface after it's in place and has dried.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

You son of a bitch my money

Tell me about it :v:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Do you know how sobering it is to realize I'm only missing 8 of those... and that a part of me wants to try and compete with that? Good god, I need help.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

END ME SCOOB posted:

Do you know how sobering it is to realize I'm only missing 8 of those... and that a part of me wants to try and compete with that? Good god, I need help.

Actually, you're missing about 11 or more. They released a few new ones recently.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The mass-production version is the best, just for the boxart

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm painting the mg zeong and I have to say the Zeong's got an impressive amount of internal detail under that big old skirt. It's been fun detailing it up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just love that Bandai have made them their own HGPG line rather than just padding the Build Fighters line.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It would be better if he was tearing up some GM with a tiny blaster imo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cinnamon Bear posted:

For panel lining, you can use any eraser to clean up stray marks or ink that you don't want above the recesses. A mechanical pencil eraser is especially nice because the size lets you get into the crevices.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can take off Winning Fumina's armor and turn it into a separate SD Gundam

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can take off Winning Fumina's armor and turn it into a separate SD Gundam

That's actually pretty cool, even if she pretty obviously has gundam feet hanging off her rear end (head looks more inconspicuous than I expected though)

I'm not really into her cosplay gimmicks, but her robot ones tend to be pretty awesome (I still have my eyes on the SD-to-144 Winning Gundam, fixing its issues seems like it'll be fun).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

That's actually pretty cool, even if she pretty obviously has gundam feet hanging off her rear end (head looks more inconspicuous than I expected though)

I'm not really into her cosplay gimmicks, but her robot ones tend to be pretty awesome (I still have my eyes on the SD-to-144 Winning Gundam, fixing its issues seems like it'll be fun).

You missed the huge head hanging off her

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

You missed the huge head hanging off her

Well, the thrusters on the back of the head help sell it as a backpack IMO, would be nice if the face was incorporated elsewhere (actually looks like a fairly good size to act as a faceplate/mouthguard for her) but it should usually be facing her back and my experience with transformers lets me forgive that vOv

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

schizophonic9 has done a bit of a box review of the 1/72 PG Mellennium Falcon, looks pretty nuts as it even has photoetch.

http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3201.html

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neurolimal posted:

As dumb as the thing is as a whole, the boot thrusters on her butt are actually pretty logical. Contrary to what you might think of the classic jetpack ideal, your center of mass is generally around your waist/hips so that is where you actually want forward thrust to be. Titanfall 2's thrustpacks are another good example or even Attack on Titan's 3D Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As dumb as the thing is as a whole, the boot thrusters on her butt are actually pretty logical. Contrary to what you might think of the classic jetpack ideal, your center of mass is generally around your waist/hips so that is where you actually want forward thrust to be. Titanfall 2's thrustpacks are another good example or even Attack on Titan's 3D Gear.

On the other hand PLAVSKY PARTICLES SON.