Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Android 17 should wash the dye out of his hair and pretend it's a new form. That'll get him at least one more episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

khwarezm posted:

If I recall correctly, he was all like 'I'll pretend I didn't hear that!' when he heard about the Androids because he was too sleepy and hungry to get involved in rectifying perversions of the god's works that the Androids are implied to be.

It will probably come up in the tournament, a rival GoD will try to lawyer up a DQ, before the Zenos rule they are in fact "neat".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

It will probably come up in the tournament, a rival GoD will try to lawyer up a DQ, before the Zenos rule they are in fact "neat".

The Pride Troopers had an obvious cyborg so I don't see how the androids will be an issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Also like the dozen frigging robots running around.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Robot universe literally assembled Narirama together just for this fight. I don't think people are gonna give a poo poo about androids.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To paraphrase Zeno

"It's cool so it's ok"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Today always reminds me of how culturally relevant DBZ is in Brazil, because it's been a trending topic on Twitter since there's this misconception about the live coverage of 9/11 interrupting a broadcast of DBZ - it's a weird Mandela Effect thing where people SWEAR that happened but it's been proven everything happened a couple of hours before DBZ would air normally. poo poo gets brought up every 9/11, seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dias posted:

Today always reminds me of how culturally relevant DBZ is in Brazil, because it's been a trending topic on Twitter since there's this misconception about the live coverage of 9/11 interrupting a broadcast of DBZ - it's a weird Mandela Effect thing where people SWEAR that happened but it's been proven everything happened a couple of hours before DBZ would air normally. poo poo gets brought up every 9/11, seriously.

Ah, the Bearenstein Bears effect.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Saiyan through Cell sagas of DBZ had massive worldwide cultural impact. It effortlessly crossed ethnic boundaries.

It's a shame Super only tries to appeal to the typical anime audience.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, the Bearenstein Bears effect.

No....no!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mycot posted:

No....no!

Welcome to my nightmare

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Saiyan through Cell sagas of DBZ had massive worldwide cultural impact. It effortlessly crossed ethnic boundaries.

There was a significant pop for Super getting a dub here with the original cast, and BoG/F' got widespread theater releases. It's just that I think the way we consume media has changed enough that you're not gonna get THAT ever again. Kids aren't going back home or waking up early to watch something on TV, they're streaming poo poo. Even then, I have a 10-year-old cousin that likes DBZ and asked me about the new DB on Cartoon Network.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's really impressive the cell saga had such an impact considering the back half of it is garbo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sassassin posted:

Both movies got nationwide theatrical releases in the US and Super has the original VA cast dubbing and it's doing pretty loving well so overall it's got the saturation, and still resonates across ethnic boundaries. Goku's still pretty loving huge among Hispanic and Black viewers. A quick look around social media or youtube can confirm that.

You're technically right, it's not massive and influential as Old Goku stuff but like...it's brand new? And the old poo poo is old and thus had time to spread and be referenced again and again. What you said there is a completely baffling statement. 'Eeeehhhhhh kids aren't watching it on TV anymore so it's clearly doing bad among its old fanbases' is loving stupid in the age we live in where TV at large is being drained of blood by streaming services.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Both movies got nationwide theatrical releases in the US and Super has the original VA cast dubbing and it's doing pretty loving well so overall it's got the saturation, and still resonates across ethnic boundaries. Goku's still pretty loving huge among Hispanic and Black viewers. A quick look around social media or youtube can confirm that.

You're technically right, it's not massive and influential as Old Goku stuff but like...it's brand new? And the old poo poo is old and thus had time to spread and be referenced again and again. What you said there is a completely baffling statement.

Am I technically right or are you completely baffled?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

You're pretty wrong considering that one of the things people love to reference is the Fusion Dance/fusion in general which is from the Buu saga.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

You're pretty wrong considering that one of the things people love to reference is the Fusion Dance/fusion in general which is from the Buu saga.

Also the Super Saiyan 3 transformation is possibly the single most parodied scene in Dragonball.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

I'm baffled that you thought it was a smart point to make or that it meant anything significant and that's why I said 'You are TECHNICALLY correct in that Super is Less Influential than it's predecessor that it 25+ years older and has had an entire generation of time to spread out and influence things compared to the show that started 2 years ago and whose non-japanese dubs started 1 year ago.' Your point was dumb and didn't support your argument nor really added anything to the conversation other than 'I don't like Super as much as I like Z so it's clearly cause it's more anime than Z was.' I mean that's not even covering how dumb your argument that it's only Cell saga back that's influential when every fan at large loves talking about Fusions and Adult Gohan (mostly in the context of 'Didn't get what he deserved) and The Great Saiyaman.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 11, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't even parse what "Super is more anime than Z" even means

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like watching anime punchmans. Sometimes with fists. Often with lasers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I can't even parse what "Super is more anime than Z" even means

I mean sassassin said Super clearly is only pandering to the typical anime audience.

Unlike Dragon Ball Z. Somehow.

It's like complaining about the new Jojo Animes being so similar to other older shows. Yeah it kind of inspired a lot of poo poo so we've come full circle where of course it shares similarities with a lot of other anime.

It's just a lovely, half thought out explanation so sassassin's posts in this thread aren't just "I don't care for Super" repeated 100 times.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
DBGT has some cool lil fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p61HNoE4Dic

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A lot of people are thinking that Goku is gonna use a spirit bomb super saiyan form against Jiren, akin to Super 13. Sure, why not?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

This is sadly the best fight in GT, it's all downhill from here

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

One minute in and Trunks is already out of the fight.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

seiferguy posted:

A lot of people are thinking that Goku is gonna use a spirit bomb super saiyan form against Jiren, akin to Super 13. Sure, why not?

Trunks already did it so we know it's possible in-canon, and we know that he'll use the Spirit Bomb thanks to Herms' spoilers. That said, I genuinely doubt he'll use that considering what the spoilers say (Kaio-ken x20 -> Spirit Bomb -> new form) is straight-up the Freeza fight, so it'll likely be used as-is and fail, unless it ends up being the trigger for the silver-eyed limit-breaking form.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So was there ever a reason Goku is like, three or four shades darker in GT than he is anywhere else?

That wasn't even a thing in Dragon Ball

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

He was darker in Path to Power too if I remember right

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Blockhouse posted:

This is sadly the best fight in GT, it's all downhill from here

This owns tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI3g8DrzzuQ

grinding asphalt to the face!

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

GT had the best designs and occasionally okay fights. It's just all wrapped in a gently caress awful story, which is genuinely tragic for the good elements.

Burkion posted:

So was there ever a reason Goku is like, three or four shades darker in GT than he is anywhere else?

That wasn't even a thing in Dragon Ball

I think it's more cinematically dramatic looking, like how the Enterprise-D bridge is so much darker in Generations than it was in the series. It's like, "we have a shading budget, use it!"

Or the head colorist or whoever just didn't get it or prefered it, I dunno.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
It's to make him look more like a wild mountain boy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Ledgic looks like Quark dyed himself blue and got outfit ideas from Vince McMahon's house of bad wrestling gimmicks. His design just doesn't land with me at all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think most GT designs are good. Even the Toriyama ones (our protagonist trio) are significantly worse than older stuff and weirdly clashing with Z, stuff like Goku suddenly going darker and wearing weird colours that aren't even his epilogue outfit (which I liked more, to be honest) and Trunks' absolutely terrible outfit that only proves even more just how terrible GT Trunks is, not to mention the dark purple hair (to be fair, Super did the exact same poo poo here with Trunks' new blue hair, and worse because Kid Trunks keeps his Z colour so we have a weird contradiction).

The villains are mostly meh in design. Baby's good, but then Super 17 looks very silly like the artists threw everything they could find into his outfit despite 17's pretty simple clothes, and the Shadow Dragons are...weird. Syn/Omega just looks awful though, the flat face is impossible to take seriously and his body looks way too simple before he gets all the Dragon Balls.

I do like Super Saiyan 4 but I know I'm in the minority there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think most GT designs are good. Even the Toriyama ones (our protagonist trio) are significantly worse than older stuff and weirdly clashing with Z, stuff like Goku suddenly going darker and wearing weird colours that aren't even his epilogue outfit (which I liked more, to be honest) and Trunks' absolutely terrible outfit that only proves even more just how terrible GT Trunks is, not to mention the dark purple hair (to be fair, Super did the exact same poo poo here with Trunks' new blue hair, and worse because Kid Trunks keeps his Z colour so we have a weird contradiction).

The villains are mostly meh in design. Baby's good, but then Super 17 looks very silly like the artists threw everything they could find into his outfit despite 17's pretty simple clothes, and the Shadow Dragons are...weird. Syn/Omega just looks awful though, the flat face is impossible to take seriously and his body looks way too simple before he gets all the Dragon Balls.

I do like Super Saiyan 4 but I know I'm in the minority there.

That's just the main character designs. All of the incidental characters and extras in GT are atrocious.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blaze Dragon posted:

Trunks already did it so we know it's possible in-canon, and we know that he'll use the Spirit Bomb thanks to Herms' spoilers. That said, I genuinely doubt he'll use that considering what the spoilers say (Kaio-ken x20 -> Spirit Bomb -> new form) is straight-up the Freeza fight, so it'll likely be used as-is and fail, unless it ends up being the trigger for the silver-eyed limit-breaking form.

It would be kinda weird if Goku just decided 'welp, Bomb time' against someone who hasn't really done anything evil though. He always seems to think the best of people at first glance.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
cmon this is good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITz8Rjkvsxw

a guided energy scatter into a tornado into a concentrated beam!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
big if true:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/907383404781387777

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

What if that's actually Gohan?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

big if true:

If only this tournament would do something interesting like that. :sigh:

I'd laugh if it turns out that Goku gets hurt from trying to use the Spirit Bomb because he's such a terrible person now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope the fan theory that Zalama is the progenitor of the Namekians is true. I think the idea of the namekians somehow stealing the ability to make Dragon Balls by chipping off pieces of the Super Dragon Balls is really lame and boring.

I heard an interesting idea that the U6 Namekians are the evil half of the U7 Namekians, in exactly the same way that Piccolo and kami were two halves of the same being. Zalama deliberately split himself up between the two universes and thats why the Super Dragon Balls are split up between U6 and U7. Zalama himself no longer exists except through the collective Namekians of both universes. Its a neat idea and I would like it to be true. Piccolo needs to become important again.

How strong is Piccolo at this point? He's been training so he should be a lot stronger by now.