Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

Two recommendations please. I've read House of Leaves a few times and I want another book to replicate that experience. What's the best meta-narrative book? I think Nabokov has one that's supposed to be pretty good, right? And I remember hearing about a book called If On A Winter's Night A Traveller. I know these are both supposed to be meta-fiction but not sure how highly they are recommended.

Secondly, a horror novel in the same meta-fictional vein. If there's nothing close, then just a good horror novel along the lines of the main Navidson Record portion of House of Leaves.

Thanks!

People have mixed reactions to it, but I really liked S.. A guy named Doug Dorst wrote the main text (Ship of Theseus), but J.J. Abrams (yeah, that J.J. Abrams) put the whole thing together and ... you sort of just have to see it. Like, I said, I really liked it but it's not for everyone.

You might want to look at Pessl's Night Film, which is not horror pr se but was a Shirley Jackson Awards finalist, for what it's worth. I personally think it hits all the right notes at the beginning but doesn't quite stick the landing, but I'd love to hear what other people thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People have mixed reactions to it, but I really liked S.. A guy named Doug Dorst wrote the main text (Ship of Theseus), but J.J. Abrams (yeah, that J.J. Abrams) put the whole thing together and ... you sort of just have to see it. Like, I said, I really liked it but it's not for everyone.

This is a great suggestion. It's a library book with annotations from two students having a conversation about a mystery involving the author. It is filled with napkins, post cards, letters, notes, etc.). It's interesting.

Seconding Pale Fire as well.

You'd probably like My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk. It's a murder myster and each chapter is a different narrator, one of which is the murderer, and they're all aware you're reading a story.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 3, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

Pretty sure that's the point

Oh. I thought Abbott was serious. Whoops.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

regulargonzalez posted:

Two recommendations please. I've read House of Leaves a few times and I want another book to replicate that experience. What's the best meta-narrative book? I think Nabokov has one that's supposed to be pretty good, right? And I remember hearing about a book called If On A Winter's Night A Traveller. I know these are both supposed to be meta-fiction but not sure how highly they are recommended.

Secondly, a horror novel in the same meta-fictional vein. If there's nothing close, then just a good horror novel along the lines of the main Navidson Record portion of House of Leaves.

Thanks!

Dictionary of the Khazars.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

Dictionary of the Khazars.
Ah, but which one?

edit: VVV :thejoke:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 3, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

Ah, but which one?

Here's the only difference between the two editions.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks!

Maybe Cortazar's Hopscotch, if you follow his instructions at the start and read the chapters in the order he gives you instead of front to back.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanks for the suggestions all. Added them all to my wish list. Some aren't available on Kindle, I assume because that format wouldn't work for them (ala House of Leaves) so I'll grab the physical copies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can someone recommend a vampire/monster book set in the past that has a classic/straight-forward vibe to it, I'm not looking for a "new-spin" like Dracula is a crime-fighter or what if vampires were public knowledge or anything like that.

Also I bought Tom Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger used. My only experience with Tom Clancy is the movies, but now I'm hearing that this book is garbage. Confirm/deny?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Can someone recommend a vampire/monster book set in the past that has a classic/straight-forward vibe to it, I'm not looking for a "new-spin" like Dracula is a crime-fighter or what if vampires were public knowledge or anything like that.

Let The Right One In takes place in the 80's and is pretty straightforward about the vampires. Same with 'Salem's Lot, but that's in the 70's(?)

You might also like North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Human Tornada posted:

Also I bought Tom Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger used. My only experience with Tom Clancy is the movies, but now I'm hearing that this book is garbage. Confirm/deny?

Confirm Confirm Confirm!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Such garbage, and I say this as someone who has read Rainbow Six 5 times.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Human Tornada posted:

Regarding the former: I liked the Monstrumologist series overall, but the first book was way better than the last, wherein the narrator is a complete rear end in a top hat. You might like The Historian, which is an epistolary novel involving vampires, but I wouldn't describe it as "straight-forward." The Terror is, however, a more straightforward horror novel and while a hefty read it was pretty good.

And regarding the latter: Early Tom Clancy may have had some merit, but Teeth of the Tiger would be waaaaay past that point.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

George R. R. Martin's Fevre Dream, assuming having both good and evil vampires still qualifies as straightforward.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Can someone recommend me sci-fi books similar to Becky Chamber's Wayfarer's series or the Miles Vorkosigan books? Lots of space adventures, no real pausing for 20 pages of hard science/plot reliant on physics lectures, with female characters (and/or queer characters) presented well?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Human Tornada posted:

You might try the James Asher books by Barbara Hambly - the first one is Those Who Hunt The Night.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

coolusername posted:

Can someone recommend me sci-fi books similar to Becky Chamber's Wayfarer's series or the Miles Vorkosigan books? Lots of space adventures, no real pausing for 20 pages of hard science/plot reliant on physics lectures, with female characters (and/or queer characters) presented well?

First thing that comes to mind is Alexei Panshin's Anthony Villiers novels, which are basically SF picaresque / comedy of manners.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

George R. R. Martin's Fevre Dream, assuming having both good and evil vampires still qualifies as straightforward.

Probably Martin's best novel actually.

I would normally recommend Fred Saberhagen's Dracula series or Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germaine books but those are a lot less traditional. How about Les Daniels's Don Sebastian? The Black Castle is the first one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Does Anno Dracula can't as un-straightforward? It's got vampires out in the public but it's still a great read.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The Terror is, however, a more straightforward horror novel and while a hefty read it was pretty good.

thehoodie posted:

I hated this book so much I threw it at a wall

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I have The Terror sittin around and thought it would be a fun read, but then I read Hyperion and it's been on the shelf ever since

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Thanks dudes, I'm gonna try the George RR Martin one, and maybe Those Who Hunt at Night or The Historian if I'm still in the mood, and I won't be reading Teeth of the Tiger.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

My issue with Simmons is that when it comes to women he's just ... kinda gross. I honesty can't tell if he's personally sleazy or if he's just describing the point of view of sleazy characters, but it was even worse in Carrion Comfort. But The Terror was a decent monster book, I think, despite its drawbacks.

I read The Ballad of Black Tom last week and loved it. I since followed it up with The Changeling and The Devil in Silver, and while I still enjoy how Lavalle writes, they ended up just being okay. I subsequently started Ahlborn's The Devil Crept in (why yes, I do gravitate toward horror, why do you ask), and it's too early to tell how that's going to work out.

... I may have just purchased a lot of books. Unfortunately, I read in bursts and will devour a ton of books ... and then fall out of the habit and not read for some time. There are definitely a bunch of half-finished books I need to get back to -- The Bone Clocks, the second of Carr's The Alienist series (the first of which was really good), and The Club Dumas come to mind.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've said it in other threads, but The Terror is a great 400-page book hiding in a decent 800-page book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
At first I thought y'all were talking about the new Tick series

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ornamented Death posted:

I've said it in other threads, but The Terror is a great 400-page book hiding in a decent 800-page book.

... I can't argue against that.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At first I thought y'all were talking about the new Tick series
If Simmons were writing The Terror in the new The Tick we'd have to endure at least a paragraph about the dust clumps sticking to Ms. Lint's public hair, with a greasy male-gaze tone to it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
now I can't unsee that thanks

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Terror was one of the cooler parts of the French revolution.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

now I can't unsee that thanks
Apparently I am now qualified to write enormous horror novels!

I do have to say that Carrion Comfort did capture Philadelphia well. I recognized several spots in Germantown and the surrounding areas from his descriptions.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

There is a surprisingly tender gay love story hidden within those 400 pages. I liked that bit

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Looking for recommendations. I just finished The Daemon series and Influx by Daniel Suarez, as well as the Nexus trilogy. I'm looking for something else in that vein. I'm a sucker for broad sci-fi humanity redemption in the face of The Man. I think the Manna short by Marshall Brian was also pretty clutch. Basically the beginnings of the path toward Star Trek is what I'm looking for. Reality has been such a bummer these last 30 years or so - I want to uplift! Ideas? Good audiobook versions a plus. Thanks!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
drugging yourself with escapist fantasy rather than taking action makes you complicit in perpetuating the bummer parts of reality

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Thanks for the great book advice!

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 12, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lordshmee posted:

Reality has been such a bummer these last 30 years or so - I want to uplift! Ideas? Good audiobook versions a plus. Thanks!

Have you tried David Brin's Uplift War series?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Lordshmee posted:

Looking for recommendations. I just finished The Daemon series and Influx by Daniel Suarez, as well as the Nexus trilogy. I'm looking for something else in that vein. I'm a sucker for broad sci-fi humanity redemption in the face of The Man. I think the Manna short by Marshall Brian was also pretty clutch. Basically the beginnings of the path toward Star Trek is what I'm looking for. Reality has been such a bummer these last 30 years or so - I want to uplift! Ideas? Good audiobook versions a plus. Thanks!

They're cheesy but the Bobiverse books are very much "beginnings of the path to Star Trek" and are fast, fun, and escapist.

Suarez has a couple other books, Kill Decision and Change Agent. Kill Decision is about autonomous drones and Change Agent's about gene editing (and is basically an updated version of the movie Face/Off). They're both pretty enjoyable techno-thrillers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The rules in the OP of this thread have been slightly edited. I never had to spell this out before, but I guess I have to now.

quote:

Specific guidelines for everyone else:
If you aren't looking for a book suggestion, or giving a book suggestion, why are you in this thread? Think Hard.

This post heavily edited by Hieronymous Alloy on 4/23/2016
Edited Again by Hieronymous Alloy on 9/11/2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
happy to have helped out

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you can't silence us

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Lawen posted:

They're cheesy but the Bobiverse books are very much "beginnings of the path to Star Trek" and are fast, fun, and escapist.

Suarez has a couple other books, Kill Decision and Change Agent. Kill Decision is about autonomous drones and Change Agent's about gene editing (and is basically an updated version of the movie Face/Off). They're both pretty enjoyable techno-thrillers.

I previewed the first few pages of Bobiverse and don't see how it's going where you say, but it looks fun enough. I'll try it out. Also, thanks for the pointer Hieronymous Alloy I'll check those out too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lordshmee posted:

This isn't really a rec as it's a weird, weird book that reads like teenager-written slash fanfiction, but I wanna mention it because it IS about humanity getting uplifted, kind of. Wraeththu by Storm Constantine. It's about humanity being turned into a race of hermaphrodites with intense psychic/spiritual powers, who set out to do humanity, but better this time. And with more romance and wild melodrama.

The first trilogy is some of the weirdest, ridiculous fiction I've read that's actually been published by a publishing house, and I found it in a Barnes and Nobles a decade ago. If you want something utterly wild that explores what it means to be human, and better than human...

Well, spoilers: if you're a psychic hermaphrodite, you get magical flying telepathic horses.