Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As dumb as the thing is as a whole, the boot thrusters on her butt are actually pretty logical. Contrary to what you might think of the classic jetpack ideal, your center of mass is generally around your waist/hips so that is where you actually want forward thrust to be. Titanfall 2's thrustpacks are another good example or even Attack on Titan's 3D Gear.

Yeah I'm not opposed to butt thrusters (squat supremacy), I just meant they were the most blatant kibble (parts that give away what something turns into).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

painted the ends of the torso wing things with glossy red paint cuz I thought it'd look nice. needs an extra coat on both of them but overall it looks really good.
(I'm also only working on this kit once a week so that I don't burn out on it)

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm putting together the HG The Origin RX78-01 and I'm actually kind of surprised by the small size of it compared to the HG Beargguy III. I guess I expected a bit more girth/size to it. I decided to just line with the GM01 Black marker and don't mind the high contrast, but on such small pieces its a lot more difficult than anticipated.

How do the Zakus stack up size-wise with stuff like Beargguy?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm putting together the HG The Origin RX78-01 and I'm actually kind of surprised by the small size of it compared to the HG Beargguy III. I guess I expected a bit more girth/size to it. I decided to just line with the GM01 Black marker and don't mind the high contrast, but on such small pieces its a lot more difficult than anticipated.

How do the Zakus stack up size-wise with stuff like Beargguy?

The Beargguy is huge. In-universe, the Acguy was basically a Zaku covered in a big armor shell, and then the Beargguy adds the giant bear head on top of that. Almost everything is small compared to the Beargguy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's mostly the head that makes him huge as well. He's basically the giant robot equivalent of a mascot costume....which would be an amazing master grade bearguy gimmick if we lived in the Perfect Timeline.

If you ever check out MG's, the Tallgeese is a fantastic cheap beginner kit that sizes up HG's well.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
The Bearguy is based on the Acguy which is a fairly large suit. Most other kits will be smaller and thinner than the Bearguy I believe. Check out dalong.net which usually has size comparisons near the end of the reviews.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, thanks for the explanations. I bought Bearguy III on a whim well over a year ago and it was my only prior frame of reference so I figured the others would be around the same. Thanks for clearing that up!

Not sure if I feel like making the jump to MGs, will probably wait and see. I think I'll pick up the green Zaku II and some different color markers next before I think about going any deeper. I should finish the RX78-01 this weekend and I'll post pictures of my terrible lining job for your amusement.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

If you ever check out MG's, the Tallgeese is a fantastic cheap beginner kit that sizes up HG's well.

Just to add nearly all the wing mg's make great beginner kits, especially the endless waltz versions that were released years ago.

But avoid the wing ver ka.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I think I'll pick up the green Zaku II and some different color markers next before I think about going any deeper. I should finish the RX78-01 this weekend and I'll post pictures of my terrible lining job for your amusement.

You can clean up those liner markers fairly easily. I've seen a lot of guides suggest a plain white eraser once its dried but you can also clean it up with tissue or q-tips before it dries too much.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Q tips and a little bit alcohol will clean up panel lining real well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I use a kleenex and rub it down to also make streaks here and there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've been using an eraser lately to clean up the panel lining markers and it works better than anything else I've tried thus far.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Uh sure Bandai go ahead, why not at this point

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Q-tips and rubbing alcohol initially, then I erase the main face of the panel away from the line and feather it a bit. I'll take photos once I get home, but you get a smooth, easy shade into your panels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Booourns posted:

Wait, why are they doing another Perfect Grade Unicorn, it already exi.... 1/20 scale? :eyepop:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Booourns posted:

That's, that's uh fake right.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They did a 1/12th scale Gundam, a 1/20th Unicorn is more reasonable than that

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

They did a 1/12th scale Gundam, a 1/20th Unicorn is more reasonable than that

The reviews on Amazon are pure gold

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Booourns posted:

I think the Unicorn is a great design but jesus loving christ Bandai, control yourselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bandai loves to indulge, and Unicorn is peak self indulgence in Gundam so it's no wonder they'll milk it for all its worth.

Imagine if an actually good show had gotten all the media attention and captured the hearts and minds of a generation. Get a full scale statue of a Zudah

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bandai loves to indulge, and Unicorn is peak self indulgence in Gundam so it's no wonder they'll milk it for all its worth.

Imagine if an actually good show had gotten all the media attention and captured the hearts and minds of a generation. Get a full scale statue of a Zudah

You aren't actually calling MS IGLOO good, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Zudah has the dumbest design flaw of all time and IGLOO is loving trash

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

You aren't actually calling MS IGLOO good, right?

Of course not. It's far worse than Unicorn. I also think unicorn is far from the ultimate Gundam show so I was being facetious. Unicorn makes Bandai a shitload of money despite being average at best, but I'd laugh if Igloo was the real moneymaker for the company instead.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Zudah has the dumbest design flaw of all time and IGLOO is loving trash

You mean you don't like a show which is completely apologetic to zeon and at the same ratches up the zeon=nazi analogy to an uncomfortable degree?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I liked in IGLOO where they had Oggo pods getting bullied by GMs.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
But yes IGLOO was pretty garbage. The CGI was very uncanny valley.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
The Zudah was a fantastic suit and I will hear nothing otherwise. The fact that it's sole selling point is that it's faster than the Zaku but blows up when it goes faster than a Zaku can isn't a terrible defect, it's a genius feature that works as an aggressive speed limit enforcer. Also it's blue, and blue is empirically the best color.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I keep having dreams where they release a PG Exia please send help.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

mikeycp posted:

I keep having dreams where they release a PG Exia please send help.

It'll be the big december 2017 release to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of 00.
gotta keep believing

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Isn't there a perfect grade Raiser? Isn't that the same kit plus shoulderpads?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yawgmoft posted:

Isn't there a perfect grade Raiser? Isn't that the same kit plus shoulderpads?

The 00 Raiser is the 00 Gundam plus shoulderpads, not the Exia Gundam

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Interesting, I thought they were the same Gundam + upgrades. My knowledge of the Exia is limited to Build Fighters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Totally different robots

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
just remember that one of them has safety spikes and looks a bit smooshed and you should be ok with telling them apart

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Totally different robots

Before and after joining DSA

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Monaghan posted:

It'll be the big december 2017 release to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of 00.
gotta keep believing

i will never stop

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Goodbody posted:

Totally different robots

When did this...
...Become more attractive than this?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Exiatalk, I decided to go in for the DM MB Exia, because I want an exia to actually be on my shelf while I have my MG Exia around as a prop for build progress stuff.

Also all the extra parts means I can just mash poo poo together, and end up with a battle damaged Exia Repair version of the Repair III and I need that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'l have way less poo poo pictures of these guys tomorrow but I literally just finished a solid few weeks of painting them, and have the uncontrollable urge to show them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Mordja posted:

When did this...
...Become more attractive than this?

It didn't. And it never will.

Exia Forever