Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Andrast posted:

Aside from being strong, Jiren hasn't been shown to be similar to Superman man at all

noted super serious sullen character who doesn't do anything, Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

noted super serious sullen character who doesn't do anything, Superman
These were the two most common complaints I saw about his depiction in the two Snyder movies fwiw.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Raxivace posted:

These were the two most common complaints I saw about his depiction in the two Snyder movies fwiw.

Oh absolutely and that's true

but even drawing a connection from bad Superman to Jiren is such a stretch it belongs more in the One Piece thread

because stretching

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I mean, okay, he's not a 1:1 adaptation. But the Universe 11 Pride Troopers, though they lean on some sentai tropes, are definitely also strongly referential to western superheroes. Each one has kind of a specific Special Power (plus a dude who's a cyborg) that's not necessarily a martial arts technique or ki thing, and their GoD and Angel, if they aren't a Joker/Harley visual reference, then somebody at Toei accidentally made a Joker/Harley visual reference.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I liked Jiren's wierd blue eye thing he had going on

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
which member of the Justice League is Toppo?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wonder woman?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Toppo doesn't have any special powers besides ki poo poo that everybody in Dragonball has, but he'll gently caress you up with crippling joint locks and poo poo. He's their batman.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not seeing how jiren is anything like superman at all really

where's the point of comparison here? just being strong isn't much of one

e: toppo as batman is such an incredible stretch that idk if it's meant to be a joke or not

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jiren is Aquaman, obviously.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Jiren has been more bored Saitama than Superman. But even that's not right as he actually has a personality.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Toppo is actually Superman.

But Jiren is Martian Manhunter, who is stronger than Superman.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
We have interacted with Jiren so little so far that it is literally impossible to draw comparisons so let's not

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jiren is a really buff sectoid from xcom

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Manatee Cannon posted:

jiren is a really buff sectoid from xcom

Or like a regular sectoid from xcom 2 :v:

Little dudes hit the gym hard after Advent took over Earth's governments.

e: okay, they're not as buff as I remember from the last time I played, but still

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was specifically thinking of xcom 2 actually

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Can you pronounce it Gear-in'? Because then he's gym sectoid and that's just it, he's their juicin' messiah

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Sectoids in xcom 3 will look like Jiren. It's really bad for squad morale when they recover their HP with a protein shake.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Judging from the punch he threw, he's actually Saitama.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could keep the superman allusions and compare him to all might

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why doesnt the antagonist of this arc have a personality

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Because honestly the 'antagonist' of this arc is the Zenos, Jiran is just a guy who is going to be a big punch. Even if Goku beats him it's about appealing to the Zenos, not beating Jiran.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Goku getting shook at Jiren's power was cool, for almost a second he was like "hmm maybe this was a bad idea"

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Jiren's only down to business when he needs to fight. In the inevitable afterparty after everyone survives, I hope they reveal that he likes to party.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Next episode preview discussion: So that last shot of Frost was absolutely him trying to backstab Freeza, right?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

I don't know, I thought the antagonist of this arc has a lot of personality. A love for battle that leads to him making terrible decisions, treating this entire event like a fun playground, constantly lying to his friends and loved ones, has a good reputation so people don't see anything wrong with his actions. Plenty interesting, I'd say.

Carlosologist posted:

Goku getting shook at Jiren's power was cool, for almost a second he was like "hmm maybe this was a bad idea he's so powerful, i can't wait to tap me some of that"

FTFY

TheKingofSprings posted:

Toppo is actually Superman.

But Jiren is Martian Manhunter, who is stronger than Superman.

I thought they were more like Green Lanterns, myself. Toppo is Hal Jordan, the most boring one of all yet writers hype him up as the greatest of them all. Dyspo is Kyle Rayner, the young rookie whose cockiness and lack of experience leads to him getting dunked on. Toppo is Kilowog, Hal's close and infinitely more amusing friend who is just fun to be around.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Jiren and Hit are somewhat lacking in the personality department, strong and silent and too cool to talk. Basically :stare:: The Villains!

I miss Cell and Frieza.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hit isn't a villain and he's pretty interesting for a dude who is stoic badass.

Jiren's shown as little as possible in regards to a personality so it's a bad comparison.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

I don't know, I thought the antagonist of this arc has a lot of personality. A love for battle that leads to him making terrible decisions, treating this entire event like a fun playground, constantly lying to his friends and loved ones, has a good reputation so people don't see anything wrong with his actions. Plenty interesting, I'd say.

Goku's playing 4d chess on his mission to kill the gods.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jiren doesn't have much personality because he's not allowed to interact with anyone. one would hope that there'll be more to him once he actually gets to talk

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super's only original supervillain to date is Zamasu, who was a pretty fun and flamboyant character. Hit and Jiren are just tournament rivals closer to Jackie Chun and Tien (lol) back when they were credible opponents, they've not meant to be scenery chewing maniacs.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, fate of the universe on the line or no, the players involved in U6 saga or ToP are actual people, not objectively bad people.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Next episode preview discussion: So that last shot of Frost was absolutely him trying to backstab Freeza, right?

Poor Frost has no idea how out of his league Freeza is. Going to laugh so hard if Freeza goes Gold and Frost just cowers. Going to laugh even harder if Freeza doesn't even bother and just kicks his poo poo in as is. Dude, you should NOT be having a hard time in a fist fight with Roshi who is ALREADY WORN OUT for fucks sake

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Poor Frost has no idea how out of his league Freeza is. Going to laugh so hard if Freeza goes Gold and Frost just cowers. Going to laugh even harder if Freeza doesn't even bother and just kicks his poo poo in as is. Dude, you should NOT be having a hard time in a fist fight with Roshi who is ALREADY WORN OUT for fucks sake

Literally that entire clip Frieza doesn't even need to bother with gold. Not against Gohan, not when Frost is obviously trying to pull some poo poo, never. This episode is going to be hilarious and bad most likely, but Frieza will probably come out making Gohan look like a total idiot chump before running off with green dad

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Burkion posted:

Dude, you should NOT be having a hard time in a fist fight with Roshi who is ALREADY WORN OUT for fucks sake

Frost literally says that it's hard to fight effectively because of how much he has to hold back to not kill him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

friezas gonna kill someone and its gonna be so cool zen-oh decides to allow murder and that's when the tournament goes to hell.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I hope every episode Gohan stars has him looking like a loser, it's funny.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Frost is going to observe immediately that to turn gold all he has to do is feel some back tingles or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

friezas gonna kill someone and its gonna be so cool zen-oh decides to allow murder and that's when the tournament goes to hell.

Frieza kills gohan, which sets off Goku who rushes him only to have Jiren interfere