Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
In the way Saiyans were depicted as acting in u7 prior to extinction, no Goku and vegeta don’t really. More characters good. If you don’t like a show so much stop watching and more importantly stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Black August posted:

More serious I genuinely wonder if Goku, however this arc ends, will in fact keep his promise to resurrect Freiza

He'll get to it right after he revives King Kai.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

He'll get to it right after he revives King Kai.

New plan: Freeza moves in to King Kai's house.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watching the dub

Frost's Third form is weirdly smaller than Freezas

Like, Freeza was a monster in that form. Easily 8 feet tall if not bigger and way wider.

Frost is barely any taller than he normally is

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TenCentFang posted:

Would "I wish for Freeza to be revived but unable to do evil" count as just one? I wonder how much you can chain to a single wish.

That would just retroactively make every prior conflict pointless.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also watching his fight with Goku, I really doubt Frost was stronger than Namek Era Freeza.

Goku likely could have beaten him in his base form. Frost is just really weak and underhanded, that's his entire shtick. In a way, that's why he's the opposite of Freeza.

I cannot wait to see what poo poo he gets up to in this tournament

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering Piccolo struggled with him, he'd have to be stronger than Namek Freiza. After fusing with Kami Piccolo was on par with 17, who was easily stronger than Freiza.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also given that literally all Piccolo does all day every day is meditate, train, or babysit Pan there's no way he wasn't stronger than that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Considering Piccolo struggled with him, he'd have to be stronger than Namek Freiza. After fusing with Kami Piccolo was on par with 17, who was easily stronger than Freiza.

base goku got a buff post god transformation as well so it's not like he's as strong as he was against freeza either

tho really I wouldn't think about it too hard

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Piccolo is only ever as weak as he needs to be. This is the guy who was having trouble with Shisami, a man who was laughably compared to Zarbon and Dodoria in terms of strength.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I remember Hit mentioning that now that Frost has been exposed and disgraced, he's been on the run, and he got stronger for it.

He's no golden Frieza, but he's stronger than he was at the last tournament

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Who was he on the run from anyway?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dr.acula posted:

Who was he on the run from anyway?

space popo

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

I guess universe 6 Jaco could be a bad rear end but then why isnt he in the ToP

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dr.acula posted:

I guess universe 6 Jaco could be a bad rear end but then why isnt he in the ToP

He is

He's secretly Jiren

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Burkion posted:

He is

He's secretly Jiren

I guess Hit could be his analogue but I dont think Hit was looking for him and then when he was he found him instantly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blue Star posted:

lol wut? Goku and Vegeta dont act like Saiyans?

And how are Saiyans supposed to act? And more to the point, what does it matter? My contention was that they were adding more Saiyans, period.

I mean, the literal entire point of DBZ is that no Goku doesn't act like a Saiyan beyond loving to fight, and the only way Vegeta could grow as a character was to let Earth and his not very Saiyan Saiyan frienemy rub off on him. Like, no, I don't think a 'proper' Saiyan takes their kid to an amusement park and tries his hardest to NOT go to a fighting tournament because his wife's about to pop a kid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Vegeta as he is, no longer acts like a PROUD SAYIAN WARRIOR

That got beaten out of him either on Earth or on Namek depending.

After that he kept faltering back and forth, knowing he was weakening in his heart and having too much pride to let go.

That's why him sacrificing himself against Buu, though ultimately pointless, was THE turning point for his character. His one selfless action that killed who he was for good and let a new man be born.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Also is anyone getting Injustice Superman vibes from Jiren? I get the feeling his teammates are kind of scared of him and all this gung ho-ness about Justice is actually out of sheer Stockholm syndrome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dr.acula posted:

Also is anyone getting Injustice Superman vibes from Jiren? I get the feeling his teammates are kind of scared of him and all this gung ho-ness about Justice is actually out of sheer Stockholm syndrome.

I definitely get the feeling that they're not as good as they like to appear.

Toppo isn't exactly how Toriyama typically draws genuinely heroic characters.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dr.acula posted:

The only one that seems to differ to Jiren is Dyspo and that only because he kept loving up in front of him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't Frieza say that Earth's dragon balls would suffice for his resurrection? So I mean, he has a plan, but all Goku has to do is wish him back to life and he's kept up his end of the bargain! If Beerus, Champa and Mighty Mouse are there with a triple Hakai fully loaded then that's not on Goku.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Jiren can't be the same species as Jaco because he doesn't have any of the darker parts on him

plus his species all looks identical to Jaco

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, the literal entire point of DBZ is that no Goku doesn't act like a Saiyan beyond loving to fight, and the only way Vegeta could grow as a character was to let Earth and his not very Saiyan Saiyan frienemy rub off on him. Like, no, I don't think a 'proper' Saiyan takes their kid to an amusement park and tries his hardest to NOT go to a fighting tournament because his wife's about to pop a kid.

How does Caulifaa act like a proper Saiyan, then? As far as i've seen she hasnt committed genocide or killed anyone. In what way is she like old school Saiyans like Nappa, Raditz, etc.?

And again, WHO CARES? Why do we need more Saiyans? There's an opportunity to introduce whole new characters from entirely different universes and they turn out to be...more goddamn Saiyans. Whoopdee doo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

genocide isn't a saiyan racial trait. freeza swooped them up and made them his personal planetary extinction squad, then killed them when he got worried that they could get stronger than him. u6's freeza analog made them an interplanetary police force instead, but they still like fighting strong dudes

and really there haven't ever been that many saiyans. if you wanna find a problem here then it's that the saiyans left everyone in the dust ages ago, not that there are too many of them (there are literally two before super, c'mon)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nessus posted:

Didn't Frieza say that Earth's dragon balls would suffice for his resurrection? So I mean, he has a plan, but all Goku has to do is wish him back to life and he's kept up his end of the bargain! If Beerus, Champa and Mighty Mouse are there with a triple Hakai fully loaded then that's not on Goku.

Why would Beerus, Champa and especially Quitella care.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So even after after the tournament, assuming U7 wins, Frieza has like 21 hours left of borrowed time. Plenty of time to gently caress things up.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Manatee Cannon posted:

genocide isn't a saiyan racial trait. freeza swooped them up and made them his personal planetary extinction squad, then killed them when he got worried that they could get stronger than him. u6's freeza analog made them an interplanetary police force instead, but they still like fighting strong dudes

and really there haven't ever been that many saiyans. if you wanna find a problem here then it's that the saiyans left everyone in the dust ages ago, not that there are too many of them (there are literally two before super, c'mon)

There are 6 though I mean if they count for the SSG ritual it's a Saiyan and no you can't be a 1/4 of something. Anyways ya'll leave lady Goku alone

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are 2 saiyans and a gaggle of half saiyans

there is a pretty clear behavioral divide between those two groups

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would Beerus, Champa and especially Quitella care.
Presumably because of Freeza causing problems, probably of cosmic scope

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

we should make a bunch of frieza clones to sate blue star

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm just waiting on Troppo to meet Frieza and ask why he's with that villain Goku. I wanna see him interact with Hit too. How do people want him and Vegeta out already? They've barely done anything!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RBX posted:

I'm just waiting on Troppo to meet Frieza and ask why he's with that villain Goku. I wanna see him interact with Hit too. How do people want him and Vegeta out already? They've barely done anything!
Vegeta getting dunked would mess things up because presumably the last guys will be Goku, Vegeta, and maybe someone else - Frieza, Piccolo, #17, somebody. If he ring-outs then things will at least be mixed up.

Frieza is mostly because of people suckin his big ol' icer cock in the thread, I reckon

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBX posted:

I think Freeza just has the only real ongoing plot rn aside from Alien Saitama and people wanna see that addressed instead of more faffing around with uninteresting cannon fodder.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people asking for Vegeta, Hit, or Frezia to be knocked out are trying to interject some interest in the tournament instead of how formulaic and by the numbers it's been; the tournament has been super boring because it's been curbstomp after curbstomp so it seems reasonable people who want to mix it up might go 'hey what if we just dropped Vegeta' because that would both raise tension and let at least one person in the tournament that isn't from Universe 6 or 7 show up as being kind of a threat.

Arguably the most well built up character outside of those is loving Dypso, because he actually did manage to fight Hit for awhile and didn't fall off the edge immediately at the end.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The only plot right now is winning the tournament. Until there's a winner nothing else matters. The fun of it is just seeing all the characters interact. The only bad things recently is characters we've already seen interact just doing it again. We just need new interactions.

Randomly dropping characters for the sake of false tension is really dumb and is a hallmark of bad writing. They need none of that. Like I said earlier all the small fry's are almost eliminated then it gets good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ribrianne has been doing decent. Though I would like to see other fighters from the other universes that are actual contenders.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

RBX posted:

The only plot right now is winning the tournament. Until there's a winner nothing else matters. The fun of it is just seeing all the characters interact. The only bad things recently is characters we've already seen interact just doing it again. We just need new interactions.

Randomly dropping characters for the sake of false tension is really dumb and is a hallmark of bad writing. They need none of that. Like I said earlier all the small fry's are almost eliminated then it gets good.

The tournament itself is already filled with false tension though because it keeps trying to act like U7 is under fire but then there's scenes where Goku literally walks through an opponent's techniques because he's just that much more powerful then them.

Even 'seeing the characters interact' isn't really accurate; they only interact with one person, Goku, and only in the sense of 'I'm gonna beat you up.' and Goku going "ahaha this is gonna be fun." and then Goku beats them up. Sometimes with assists from other people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stallion Cabana posted:

The tournament itself is already filled with false tension though because it keeps trying to act like U7 is under fire but then there's scenes where Goku literally walks through an opponent's techniques because he's just that much more powerful then them.

Even 'seeing the characters interact' isn't really accurate; they only interact with one person, Goku, and only in the sense of 'I'm gonna beat you up.' and Goku going "ahaha this is gonna be fun." and then Goku beats them up. Sometimes with assists from other people.
While this has certainly happened a few times I don't think it's completely fair. Given the parameters of the tournament Goku is not really invincible, though with Instant Transmission and his pure beat down power he is probably the strongest single fighter (for tournament purposes) other than Hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

dr.acula posted:

It's unlikely, but I'm hoping it's just that Jiren's the quiet type who doesn't like fighting despite his power. It's pretty much the only thing that can help set him apart from other rivals to Goku, IMO. I know Toppo said they'd drop justice for this tournament, but I took it more as "poo poo, we're down to three people. I know it sucks, but we have to get our acts together if we want to save our universe".

Burkion posted:

That's why him sacrificing himself against Buu, though ultimately pointless, was THE turning point for his character. His one selfless action that killed who he was for good and let a new man be born.

A good post. :) What's remarkable to me is that even in Super, Vegeta keeps growing as a character. He starts off reluctantly making time for his family, to admitting he loves his wife and kid, becoming a teacher to Cabba and teaching him to take pride in his heritage, being an actual father figure to Future Trunks, and actively wanting to be there for the birth of his next child. Guy's really come a long way.

RBX posted:

I agree about the character interaction. Some of the better parts of this tournament was when other universes clashed with ones that aren't U7. The Hit and Dyspo fight was pretty fun, and Caulifla and Kale facing off with the other Pride Troopers got us good character development for Kale. We really need more of that.