Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Couldn't Frieza just ice Supreme Kai? That'd kill Beerus with a quickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HitTheTargets posted:

Couldn't Frieza just ice Supreme Kai? That'd kill Beerus with a quickness.

He could but someone would have to be dumb enough to tell him that's how it works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

He could but someone would have to be dumb enough to tell him that's how it works.

God drat it Goku.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
RIP in piece, Frost, you lost potential.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad both Goku and Gohan got to fight transforming magical girls this episode.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bondster posted:

Speaking of which, maybe I missed something but how did Gohan even know that dude was a Yardrat? Not like Goku is known for giving detailed descriptions and I don't remember Goku commenting on the fact that guy was a Yardrat.

Yeah a lot of people knowing stuff that they realistically shouldn't this episode. Like I don't remember Frieza ever seeing instant transmission before this so idk how he was able to counter it so easily

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah a lot of people knowing stuff that they realistically shouldn't this episode. Like I don't remember Frieza ever seeing instant transmission before this so idk how he was able to counter it so easily

The Ginyu force were about to gently caress the Yardrat's planet up before Freeza called them to deliver scouters. And Goku called out Jimmy being a Yardratian before the fights started.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why did Gohan do something worse than Goku and not try to put up a real fight against the Yardat? Like, he even acknowledged, "I shouldn't let my guard down" to himself, and then immediately proceeded to apparently not really care to put in effort until Freeza saved his rear end by "fake" beating him up. Come the gently caress on, Nerd. At least actually try to get on Goku's level before you are stupid as him in handicapping yourself to "make a fight interesting".

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadly_pudding posted:

I am here for Frieza getting a redemption arc teased by helping Gohan instead of doing what everybody, including Whis, thought he was going to do.

Spiderdrake posted:

Is it really foreshadowing when the intelligent aloof narrator character be like "yo, that guy is a bad apple"

I kind of got the feeling Whis was just playing along and idly musing, not really giving a gently caress. The angels have all been very, very detached.

Bell_ posted:

The Japanese themselves are not consistent in how they romanize names, to include Goku's. I stopped worrying about Dragonball spelling more than twenty years ago.

The guy on TFS who pronounces it Gokuuu is the weirdest goddamn thing to me, regardless of accuracy.

bondster posted:

Speaking of which, maybe I missed something but how did Gohan even know that dude was a Yardrat? Not like Goku is known for giving detailed descriptions and I don't remember Goku commenting on the fact that guy was a Yardrat.

IIRC, didn't he use that touch telepathy thing when he got back to Earth?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Why did Gohan do something worse than Goku and not try to put up a real fight against the Yardat? Like, he even acknowledged, "I shouldn't let my guard down" to himself, and then immediately proceeded to apparently not really care to put in effort until Freeza saved his rear end by "fake" beating him up. Come the gently caress on, Nerd. At least actually try to get on Goku's level before you are stupid as him in handicapping yourself to "make a fight interesting".

But, of course, Gohan was not in any real danger--as we all know, the Yardat would have shot his attack, there would be a huge explosion with dust and the assumption that Gohan got hit and possibly knocked out of the arena...with the dust slowly disappearing and revealing a gold glow.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Prowler posted:

But, of course, Gohan was not in any real danger--as we all know, the Yardat would have shot his attack, there would be a huge explosion with dust and the assumption that Gohan got hit and possibly knocked out of the arena...with the dust slowly disappearing and revealing a gold glow.

ITS EVEN WORSE IF THE SHOW HAS TO PULL ITS rear end FOR YOU TO SAVE FACE! :mad:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, so Frieza's winning this and going all Aku with the Dragonballs right?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gohan also ran away from ROB at the start of the episode, making it look like he didn't think he could beat it even in Ultimate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, so Frieza's winning this and going all Aku with the Dragonballs right?

With how things are going, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next arc is just the remaining universes desperately trying to fix the consequences of Freeza getting the Super Dragon Balls and wishing to be a step above the Zen'os in power.

With every universe now having even more reason to distrust Universe 7 and especially the idiot who decided to give Freeza a third chance at life, Son Goku.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gohan, for whatever reason, really does not want to fight right now.

He is 100% dedicated to just conserving his power and doing as little as possible.

If it pays off with him as the last man standing, I guess we'll know why

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Burkion posted:

He is 100% dedicated to just conserving his power and doing as little as possible.

The reason is that they wanted U7 to be capable of stomping all over 99% of the competition but also wanting to draw out the narrative tension somehow.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Burkion posted:

He's hesitating because the last time he fought he got an innocent family man erased.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Frieza will win and wish to switch bodies with Zen'o.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Neo_Crimson posted:

He's hesitating because the last time he fought he got an innocent family man erased.

It makes a bit more sense when I thought about it like this

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rhonne posted:

somewhere, the soul of Captain Ginyu smiles

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rip Yardrat guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TenCentFang posted:

I kind of got the feeling Whis was just playing along and idly musing, not really giving a gently caress. The angels have all been very, very detached.

Except that's totally not Whis' thing. Whis the guy who is right every single time he opens his mouth about a plot event, to the point that he was the source of like 99% of the Future Trunks arc's exposition.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Neo_Crimson posted:

it's partly this

Pureauthor posted:

The reason is that they wanted U7 to be capable of stomping all over 99% of the competition but also wanting to draw out the narrative tension somehow.

and partly this.

I imagine there's also a bit of a 'I can't get mad because if I get mad and freak out I'm going to torture and hurt people'.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Pureauthor posted:

If we wanted to see U7 be superawesome4ever we would read the manga.

I am completely ok with U7 getting their poo poo kicked in during the tournament so long as it's not dumb and completely pointless. Like Tien.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

lezard_valeth posted:

I am completely ok with U7 getting their poo poo kicked in during the tournament so long as it's not dumb and completely pointless. Like Tien.

This bird has kind of already flew the coop since even people we were shown fighting evenly with power players in the opening are barely a match for untransformed Goku at this point.

It seems like the only actual threats were Toppo and Jiren in the entire 80 man tournament.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I just assume he's supposed to be transformed to some extent at any given time and for whatever reason he isn't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

lezard_valeth posted:

U7 won't be amazing in the manga.

That'd mean giving cool moments to someone other than Goku.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Blaze Dragon posted:

U7 won't be amazing in the manga.

That'd mean giving cool moments to someone other than Goku.

Can't wait for Goku to Mafuba Frost off the stage and then hakai him when he tries to retaliate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

Except that's totally not Whis' thing. Whis the guy who is right every single time he opens his mouth about a plot event, to the point that he was the source of like 99% of the Future Trunks arc's exposition.
Maybe the Angels/high priests or something need some drat fool to do something like "wish on the super dragon balls to become the strongest super smug torture emperor god ever times infinity no tagbacks".

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rhonne posted:

Both Zenos.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What if Frieza body swaps with both of them and then they fusion dance to form Zenonez and then the new fused ultra god realizes he can't count higher than 11 because his brain is malformed?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

If Frieza becomes an angel as their final form we've gone full Final Fantasy and there's no going back.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I just assume he's supposed to be transformed to some extent at any given time and for whatever reason he isn't.

Then they would show that.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

No one is mentioning the real best part of the episode: the hilarious high-pitched OOOOOOO~ Frieza let out when he first stepped in between Gohan and the Yardrat.

I hope the new American Frieza guy can replicate that somehow even if he has to punch himself in the balls during voice takes

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Did anyone else think it was hilarious the Yardrat offered to teach Gohan Instant Transmission when Gohan's own father has known the technique for years and never bothered to teach his son?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Did anyone else think it was hilarious the Yardrat offered to teach Gohan Instant Transmission when Gohan's own father has known the technique for years and never bothered to teach his son?

That's only one of many things that Goku should've taught others, but didn't. Apparently the only move he's willing to pass on is the Kamehameha and even there I'm not convinced that Gohan didn't learn it by mimicry like everyone else did.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Goku's probably an awful teacher.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tbf teleportation seems difficult

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

What if Frieza body swaps with both of them and then they fusion dance to form Zenonez and then the new fused ultra god realizes he can't count higher than 11 because his brain is malformed?

Frieza will body swap with both Zenos and then have them stand on each other's shoulders to form the most fearsome opponent of all--- A perfectly coordinated Mighty Mask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

tbf teleportation seems difficult

I mean didn't Cell learn it after getting teleported to King Kai's planet? it can't be all that hard