Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bad guys instantly learning goku's moves is a recurring theme in dbz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/Kokonaught/status/911778667898032128

AWWWWW Y'ALL

AWWWWW

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pfft, clearly non-canon as hell. No way would Marron be allowed to do something that cool. :smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's only one of many things that Goku should've taught others, but didn't. Apparently the only move he's willing to pass on is the Kamehameha and even there I'm not convinced that Gohan didn't learn it by mimicry like everyone else did.
well you see, goku is a bad dad, and also evil

but you also see, goku will kill all the gods, because gods are bad because they are powerful

because, you see, only goku can be powerful

For more information please see my YouTube audio drama, "DragonBallz: Dark Horizons."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Raxivace posted:

Rip Yardrat guy.

You'd think Krillin would be a bald bro and give the guy a senzu bean.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nessus posted:

but you also see, goku will kill all the gods, because gods are bad because they are powerful

Well, Goku's body did kill all of the gods of an alternate timeline, it could happen again.

quote:

because, you see, only goku can be powerful

For more information please see my manga, Dragon Ball Super.

Also I fixed this part.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, Goku's body did kill all of the gods of an alternate timeline, it could happen again.

Killing the Kais is actually a surprisingly valid option for Freeza. Hmm.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

TheHan posted:

You'd think Krillin would be a bald bro and give the guy a senzu bean.

Yeah, wtf. Everyone hates Frieza, and Jimeze seemed like a pretty chill dude, if a little overdramatic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's not dead it's fine

he will get erased in a few minutes tho

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the subject of Universe 2 I wish there was more to the magical girl parody than "she's fat, haha, pretty girls aren't fat"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's not dead it's fine

hes dead

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's not dead it's fine

Technically he won't be dead then either so it's double fine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TenCentFang posted:

On the subject of Universe 2 I wish there was more to the magical girl parody than "she's fat, haha, pretty girls aren't fat"

Everyone in the show except Vegeta disagrees on that one though. I actually liked that after everyone assumed they were gonna do humor like that, it was pretty subtle for Dragon Ball.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was definitely a joke reveal to begin with, although yeah, as she's had more screen time she's been fairly cool and an otherwise great addition to a show sorely lacking in female fighters. There's nothing else "funny" about her so I assumed it remained the only gag, but maybe it's not really meant to be a "parody" to begin with? Outside of 17 getting that cheap shot in.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

What I found most odd about this is that it implies all the gods are only as strong as a super saiyin. What is the point of having god ki if even a lowly super saiyan can take you out?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zamasu would have just went around murdering the supreme kai of each universe, which a super saiyan could easily do. look at how garbage shin is as your example

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

zamasu would have just went around murdering the supreme kai of each universe, which a super saiyan could easily do. look at how garbage shin is as your example

Yeah, I know, I just find it all a bit silly. We have Beerus terrified that he'll be wished out of existence when all Freeza has to do is gank Shin right next to him.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Chaos Personified posted:

Yeah, I know, I just find it all a bit silly. We have Beerus terrified that he'll be wished out of existence when all Freeza has to do is gank Shin right next to him.

beerus can protect the kai no problem if he's right behind him or anywhere if he gets a heads up but wishes override everything

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

extra row of teeth posted:

No one is mentioning the real best part of the episode: the hilarious high-pitched OOOOOOO~ Frieza let out when he first stepped in between Gohan and the Yardrat.

I hope the new American Frieza guy can replicate that somehow even if he has to punch himself in the balls during voice takes

I watched dubbed dbs last night and Frost sounds awful, holy poo poo

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the Kais being so weak is definitely a strange plotpoint overall, with the Life Link and stuff. It really sets up the strange hierarchy where the destroyers are stronger then the creators; it's pretty clear all Kais are much weaker then their Destruction Gods since all Kais refer to their equivalent God using -Sama but the Destruction Gods are pretty casual with them.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Goku's probably an awful teacher.

"So to go Super Saiyan... Uh, put your back into it?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nah we saw how Goku taught people to go SSJ

By trying to loving murder them.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
goku ACTUALLY says 'im sorry' and blasts full powered SS kamehamehas at his only child to unlock it

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

Nah we saw how Goku taught people to go SSJ

By trying to loving murder them.

This is how birds teach each other to fly in the natural world, so it checks out.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Stallion Cabana posted:

the Kais being so weak is definitely a strange plotpoint overall, with the Life Link and stuff. It really sets up the strange hierarchy where the destroyers are stronger then the creators; it's pretty clear all Kais are much weaker then their Destruction Gods since all Kais refer to their equivalent God using -Sama but the Destruction Gods are pretty casual with them.

IMO the power relationship between the Kais and the Destruction Gods makes sense insofar as there are a lot of Kai and only one Beerus, with each individual Kai being the cosmic equivalent of a maintenance worker. Likening DB's whole Celestial Bureaucracy shtick to a regular government, Beerus would be like...a nuclear-armed military, let's say. Much stronger in combat than the folks who generally govern poo poo, to an apocalyptic degree, but dissuaded from overthrowing said government for various baked-in reasons.

Obviously this metaphor gets shaky when we get to stuff like whatever Whis is supposed to be (the feds? Some faraway superpower?), but to me it feels like a sensible outgrowth of DB's pseudo-Chinese approach to divinity.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
With the GoDs and angels, I'd compare it to a regional governor with a rep from the emperor's court hanging around.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It makes perfect sense that the Gods of Destruction would be more powerful than their counterparts. They have to be present for their job, and said job requires them to, well, destroy, causing a lot of deaths. Beings will oppose that, meaning that they have to be the strongest just so they can't be stopped to keep the universe going and the mortal level high (as much as they might fail at it).

Meanwhile, the Kaioshin are not meant to have any contact with mortals. They have to guide them from a distance, from their planet which no mortal should ever get to. They are, in theory, never in danger, thus their fragility is not an issue. Of course, in practice you have beings like Buu who don't care at all about such a division between mortals and gods and gods who decide to rebel against their post and kill everyone like Zamasu, but in theory the system makes sense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

"So to go Super Saiyan... Uh, put your back into it?"

he actually does teach gohan how to go super saiyan on screen in both the manga and anime (tho the anime filler'd the gently caress out of it)

Chaos Personified posted:

freeza doesn't know that. it's actually a secret for the most part and beerus was mad that whis told goku about it

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beerus can also theoretically protect the Supreme Kai, naps aside, but doesn't have a way around the Zenos granting someone a Super Dragon Ball wish.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Yeah with the amount of power and time-manipulation bullshit that all the angels present, the Grand Priest, and presumably Zeno possess I don't think Freeza can try much Kai-icide until the tournament ends.

Which brings up a good point actually; does Freeza know about/suspect Whis' role in Resurrection F? Most of his smarm has been directed towards Beerus.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

(forgot to look for this earlier, sorry)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Where can I watch DB Super in English? I'll happily pay for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agoat posted:

AnimeLab

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agoat posted:

Crunchyroll, assuming you mean fansubbed. I think Funimation is doing the dub on their website?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

AnimeLab

It says it's only in Australia and New Zealand. :(

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Agoat posted:

Dubbed? Does Funimation has it? It's unavailable in my country so I can't check.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Agoat posted:

adultswim.com runs a dozen or so of the most recent episodes if you can login with a partnered US cable provider.

Dias posted:

Dubbed? Does Funimation has it? It's unavailable in my country so I can't check.

DBS's dub doesn't run on Funi's streaming sites in any country, as far as I'm aware.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'll watch in Japanese in the meantime, then. I'm up to the most recent arc but if it's not really available in English I'll keep on in Japanese. I don't have my cable provider info, I'm not even really on my lease.

Thank you for your help, goons.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The english dub is ~70 episodes behind the sub right now. If you've already been keeping up with new episodes you will have to wait quite a while for the dub to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Rahu posted:

The english dub is ~70 episodes behind the sub right now. If you've already been keeping up with new episodes you will have to wait quite a while for the dub to catch up.

Yeah I'm at the start of the current saga, I wanted to see the dub as well