Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IcePhoenix posted:

I hope it comes down to Goku/Gohan vs Jiren and Gohan is telling Goku they need to stall and Goku just jumps off the stage to force Gohan to win it in an honorable fight.

Goku DQs himself by giving Jiren a sensu bean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Goku is fighting Jiren, Zeno button falls out of some pocket, which he then accidentally trips on, summons Zenos to the middle of the arena. The Zenos accidentally get punched by Jiren, and in a fit of annoyance they delete Jiren.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I hope it comes down to Goku/Gohan vs Jiren and Gohan is telling Goku they need to stall and Goku just jumps off the stage to force Gohan to win it in an honorable fight.

That would be incredibly stupid and make Goku out to be a huge idiot rear end in a top hat to everyone but especially his son.

So it's the most perfectly Dragon Ball idea yet, good job!

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So Gohan is in mega "conserver his power!" mode, but isn't Gohan's whole "advantage" over Goku and Vegeta is that he can stay at max power with his Mystic power up without the stamina drain of Super Saiyan?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

P-Mack posted:

That would be incredibly stupid and make Goku out to be a huge idiot rear end in a top hat to everyone but especially his son.

So it's the most perfectly Dragon Ball idea yet, good job!

I mean he basically did exactly that to Cell. Concede, heal him, and tell Gohan to clean up his mess.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

anglachel posted:

So Gohan is in mega "conserver his power!" mode, but isn't Gohan's whole "advantage" over Goku and Vegeta is that he can stay at max power with his Mystic power up without the stamina drain of Super Saiyan?

I don't think that's ever been a thing? Even if it's the case, fighting at full power would still drain more stamina than holding back and taking it slow regardless of transformation shenanigans.

Unless you're an infinite energy android and can fight at 100% for the entire time while giving zero fucks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anglachel posted:

we don't know what the stamina drain is just that it obviously is far less than ssj3

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultimate Form just lets Gohan go with max power without any ki drain from what Old Kai said

That doesn't mean poo poo about his stamina drain

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kashuno posted:

They've made Gohan look like an absolute idiot almost all tournament.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the whole thing will end up being shouldered by Gohan, regardless of his performance so far. First off I genuinely would not be surprised if Jiren kicks Goku out of the ring and Goku is done for the rest of the tourney (bar some interruption shenanigans), the series has openly flirted with the idea that his eccentric and devil may care attitude isn't a good thing since Beerus warned him not to talk to Zeno almost 40 episodes ago. Bringing back Frieza was his idea for gently caress's sake. He's also defeated all comers, including an entire universe so far, despite never learning to stay focused and gaining the increasing Ire of people like Toppo and Kale, dude needs some drat humble pie shoved down his throat.

In the meantime Gohan has been much more level headed and serious by a wide margin, he also has something to prove both in universe and to real life audiences since he's not taken a front seat in events for so long and has gotten called out on previous gently caress ups by Piccolo while promising to him, Goku and everyone else that he'll overcome all of his previous limitations in the biggest and most complex fight they've ever faced. They've tried to make him seem like a bit of an underdog who's having trouble regaining his fighting spirit with the fights against Jimeze and those sniper guys, while also highlight his (supposed) intelligence with him playing along with Frieza and with his fight against Lavender and Obuni (where he notably showed far more empathy in comparison to Goku). Whether or not you think its been that effective to me it looks really obvious what direction they're trying to send the story and why.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan definitely seems like he's gonna ride out the whole tournament. I'd say he's the one that's gonna fight toppo, tho that could be any number of people I suppose

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

getting beaten up drains your stamina most of all so good strats gohan

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gohan is definitely going to be one of the last people in the arena and will also look like absolute poo poo the whole time

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

khwarezm posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd say the whole thing will end up being shouldered by Gohan, regardless of his performance so far. First off I genuinely would not be surprised if Jiren kicks Goku out of the ring and Goku is done for the rest of the tourney (bar some interruption shenanigans), the series has openly flirted with the idea that his eccentric and devil may care attitude isn't a good thing since Beerus warned him not to talk to Zeno almost 40 episodes ago. Bringing back Frieza was his idea for gently caress's sake. He's also defeated all comers, including an entire universe so far, despite never learning to stay focused and gaining the increasing Ire of people like Toppo and Kale, dude needs some drat humble pie shoved down his throat.

In the meantime Gohan has been much more level headed and serious by a wide margin, he also has something to prove both in universe and to real life audiences since he's not taken a front seat in events for so long and has gotten called out on previous gently caress ups by Piccolo while promising to him, Goku and everyone else that he'll overcome all of his previous limitations in the biggest and most complex fight they've ever faced. They've tried to make him seem like a bit of an underdog who's having trouble regaining his fighting spirit with the fights against Jimeze and those sniper guys, while also highlight his (supposed) intelligence with him playing along with Frieza and with his fight against Lavender and Obuni (where he notably showed far more empathy in comparison to Goku). Whether or not you think its been that effective to me it looks really obvious what direction they're trying to send the story and why.

This post is a good analysis and I hope it does kind of work like this, but the fact Goku is getting a new form is what makes it seem so confusing and unlikely.

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan definitely seems like he's gonna ride out the whole tournament. I'd say he's the one that's gonna fight toppo, tho that could be any number of people I suppose

Gohan and Toppo definitely feel like a pair that should engage in a fight because they both fill the same role on their teams; both are the team leaders but not actively the strongest person on their team, while still being fairly powerful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

getting beaten up drains your stamina most of all so good strats gohan

you'd think that but it has never actually worked that way in dragon ball

like freeza getting clowned on several times in the namek saga culminating in a huge, prolonged fight with goku and eating a spirit bomb didn't actually affect his 100% form. it was only when he used it that he started running out fast

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think goku and gohan are gonna punch jiren off the side amd win the tournament together and then there will be a filler arc and then they are gonna have to visit all the other universes for some reason and goku willbget stronger than jiren finally

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Meanwhile
In parallel manga universe:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Meanwhile

Is the manga really trying to play beerus up as the strongest of the Gods of Destruction? Is this some roundabout way to not make Goku seem weak? The manga has a hard-on for making Goku seem like the most powerful character ever oh my God. Making beerus the mightiest of the Gods would do that, instead of the anime where beers is actually one of the weakest.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That doesn't even make any sense. Champa is there too and the manga established early on that they're pretty much blow-for-blow equal during a fight sequence.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoro posted:

Is the manga really trying to play beerus up as the strongest of the Gods of Destruction? Is this some roundabout way to not make Goku seem weak? The manga has a hard-on for making Goku seem like the most powerful character ever oh my God. Making beerus the mightiest of the Gods would do that, instead of the anime where beers is actually one of the weakest.

To be SLIGHTLY fair to the manga for a brief moment, in the anime Beerus is still held to be one of the stronger GoDs

He's definitely more powerful than Champa, though they're very comparable. But Whis straight up says that there are GoDs stronger than Beerus, and one of them beat him in arm wrestling.

Beerus definitely isn't loving LoL Fights All Other GoDs At The Same Time strong though.

That's just stupid and, yeah, is meant to jerk off Goku some more over how he can go toe to toe with Beerus

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's directly brought up in the chapter

also if you actually read the whole thing it's clear Beerus is mainly winning through tricks. The only GoD he actually takes out is the robot.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Can't wait for Jiren to suddenly get shot down by a little bug guy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Meanwhile

The manga continues its streak of being way worse than the anime.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Monaghan posted:

The manga continues its streak of being way worse than the anime.

How

in what way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

How

in what way

Pretty much every way? It's got dumber plots, less interesting characterization, and seems hyper-focused on the kind of stuff that appears to people who edit the DBZ Wiki over anything else.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

That's directly brought up in the chapter

also if you actually read the whole thing it's clear Beerus is mainly winning through tricks. The only GoD he actually takes out is the robot.

I did read the manga.

That um, doesn't happen, he wins through A weird bullshit skill that they all should have.

That hell loving Goku should have.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I did read the manga.

That um, doesn't happen, he wins through A weird bullshit skill that they all should have.

He doesn't even win. The fight's still going on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sending everyone after beerus seems like nonsense as an exhibition match. this isn't cell vs tien clones or w/e, there shouldn't be a point where beerus isn't insanely out matched by that many people around his level. the match between 3 gods in the anime works a lot better

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

He doesn't even win. The fight's still going on.

He wins the part were everyone rushes him, until the clown decides to be an rear end in a top hat and gank one of the others turning it into a proper battle royale.

Which has no tension considering Beerus took on them all with rather little effort.

It's insanely dumb.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I did read the manga.

A twin brother that looks enough like him to get hit in the heat of battle?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rudoku posted:

A twin brother that looks enough like him to get hit in the heat of battle?

Nah, he can sense and react to attacks he can't see instinctively.

Yes this is a skill only Beerus has apparently

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

How

in what way

Because the manga seems hyper focused on making goku seem cool and badass and completely robs all the other characters of moments to shine. Super the anime, to its, credit, doesn't give a poo poo about power levels and focuses on other characters. Each character has cool moments. In the manga, it's always loving goku who learns poo poo like using destruction ki, which he shouldn't be alble to do!

Even in the black arc, Trunks was the one who finished off black with the Spirit Sword. It's appropriate since he's trunks big villain since trunks is the one with the grudge against black. But in super, nope goku learns two goddamn abilities on the fly. Trunks goes "Hey I got healing powers to heal goku." He turns into goddamn dende.

EDIT- Also Beerus should have been instantly loving wrecked if all the gods are ganging up on him.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 25, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

They really should just fire Toyotaro at this point and let the one who wrote the Yamcha reincarnation manga take over the Super manga.

Wouldn't be surprised if Toyotaro makes Goku win this tournament all on his own.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I want to see Piccolo to absorb the other two Namekians, get a fat zenkai, and own Jiren.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah, he can sense and react to attacks he can't see instinctively.

Yes this is a skill only Beerus has apparently

it's the skill Whis has been telling Goku and Vegeta about so no, it's not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Monaghan posted:

Because the manga seems hyper focused on making goku seem cool and badass and completely robs all the other characters of moments to shine. Super the anime, to its, credit, doesn't give a poo poo about power levels and focuses on other characters. Each character has cool moments. In the manga, it's always loving goku who learns poo poo like using destruction ki, which he shouldn't be alble to do!

Even in the black arc, Trunks was the one who finished off black with the Spirit Sword. It's appropriate since he's trunks big villain since trunks is the one with the grudge against black. But in super, nope goku learns two goddamn abilities on the fly. Trunks goes "Hey I got healing powers to heal goku." He turns into goddamn dende.

EDIT- Also Beerus should have been instantly loving wrecked if all the gods are ganging up on him.

DBS giving characters "moments to shine" has been superficial and meaningless unless you're a huge Master Roshi fan, in which case congratulations I guess? Otherwise it's the usual suspects plus Kale and Caulifla and the rest of this tournament's roster might as well be faceless goons. I remember being excited too during the lead up when we had characters sparring with Goku and doing things but whatever they were trying to build with that has so far been completely inconsequential.

Also Trunks still beat Zamasu with the spirit sword in the manga with the only meaningful difference being Zamasu just turned into a thousand Zamasus instead of an evil cloud, so I'm not even sure what the complaint is here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

DBS giving characters "moments to shine" has been superficial and meaningless

Not really, no. Pretty much every character has gotten to actually do things,be confuse and contribute to the fight. They didn't singlehandedly beat the arc villain but even Krillin and Tien (the latter of whom who easily got the worst showing) got actual moments where they contributed to things. "Meaningless" meaning "They didn't beat the main foe the arc" is silly because that isn't what contribution is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Meanwhile

I see the grand priest is an alt-right sympathizer, smdh

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

he also says Beerus hasn't learned it either.

Blockhouse posted:

DBS giving characters "moments to shine" has been superficial and meaningless unless you're a huge Master Roshi fan, in which case congratulations I guess? Otherwise it's the usual suspects plus Kale and Caulifla and the rest of this tournament's roster might as well be faceless goons. I remember being excited too during the lead up when we had characters sparring with Goku and doing things but whatever they were trying to build with that has so far been completely inconsequential.

Also Trunks still beat Zamasu with the spirit sword in the manga with the only meaningful difference being Zamasu just turned into a thousand Zamasus instead of an evil cloud, so I'm not even sure what the complaint is here.

It's amazing but yes, when you put it like this; the Manga is still even more hyper focused on Goku then the Anime. The previous chapter of the Manga went out of it's way to show that Beerus was still stronger then Goku and Vegeta in their SSGSS Complete Form (SSGSSCF), so in order to make sure people don't think Goku is weak, Beerus goes and clowns on all the other GoDs at once instead?

Even the parts the Manga tries to do different are just worse; it leaves out Frost being cut-rate Frezia, but then at the end Piccolo just goes 'eh, he'll turn into Frezia after this'; instead of being interesting and keeping Frost as the interesting version of Frezia he could have been it just half-heartedly goes 'eh he isn't evil now but he will be'.

Also I don't think it was directly said to be Quintela that Beerus lost in arm wrestling to in the Anime.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

There's a big difference. In the manga, trunks just sneaks up and slices an already defusing Zamasu. Goku was the one with the big fight. Trunks didn't even seem that necessary, and more like an afterthought of "I guess trunks should do something."

In super, he's fighting a still merged, still powerful black and trunks using the power of everyone still alive. The combined strength of the mortals beats the god. What Zamasu hated beats him. Trunks is the one who saves the day. It's also fitting with what Vegeta told him: that trunks can't just rely on Vegeta and Goku when poo poo gets real. Just on a thematic level, it's a way better way to resolve the story.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No they make a point about it, the other Gods apparently can't do it or there is no reason for Whis to bring it up as something special.