Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The Bloop posted:

It absolutely is, but that's not what the pushback is about. Rather it's the implication that if everyone else weren't an uncultured troglodyte they would also realize how simplistic and stupid it was.
This doesn't seem to be the type of film to engender responses that fall between "MIND. BLOWN." and "be better at art, idiot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Coaaab posted:

This doesn't seem to be the type of film to engender responses that fall between "MIND. BLOWN." and "be better at art, idiot".

True. I just have to wonder how many of the latter are actually film consumption 1%ers and how many are pseudo intellectual asshats that can't see past their own limited view.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It's also an rear end in a top hat thing to do to spoil the movie you're watching. My husband does that a lot and it drives me nuts.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

china bot posted:

in all fairness, Possession is a horror-allegory about the crumbling of relationships & male jealousy that plays like an extra-gory Bergman film, so to say it does what mother! does is, at very least, inaccurate.

Yeah, I'm... still kinda waiting for a description of how Possession and mother! are alike at all; they may be partially allegorical but the scope of mother! is purposefully broad while Possession's is really not, being about what the quoted referred to, and the only other similarity I can see is that they both feel like watching someone's nightmare.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress is it about this movie that causes people to assume anyone who disagrees with them on it is a troglodyte smoothbrain? I've seen both people who liked the movie and people who didn't acting like this, and I don't think this happens with most movies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What the gently caress is it about this movie that causes people to assume anyone who disagrees with them on it is a troglodyte smoothbrain? I've seen both people who liked the movie and people who didn't acting like this, and I don't think this happens with most movies.

In this forum? It kind of does.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It’s especially polarizing. Also I think whenever you have an initial wave of “holy moley that was the most insane thing I’ve ever seen” responses the first few days, you prime the audiences that come after to say “you don’t know what shocking truly is!”

Idk you’re free to dislike the film, but unless you whispered to your wife ”oh, Kristen Wiig is gonna start shooting people in the head” I’m calling BS on the “yeah man, I called everything, soooo predictable”

warez fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 27, 2017

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Did anyone notice during the final act that there were some people in the chaos trying to fix the house? There were people using the plaster mother was using, a small group who were trying to clean, but by the final moments I couldn't spot any of that.

Gonna be watching a lot of that stuff frame by frame when it releases on Blu-ray, excited to see some deleted scenes as well.

After digesting the movie for a couple of days I can say it was alright. I can echo what a lot of people said that it's like a panic attack once things ramp up halfway through. The sound design was uniformly excellent with the din of the house's pipes and cutlery, the softness of a breeze meeting a window and the groans of the hardwood floors were vivid. Even towards the end, we've gone from polar opposite hushed whispers from mother to her horrific screaming and the sounds of "apocalypse". I'm glad it wasn't shot digitally, either, but I can't say I was enamored with having mother in every frame of every shot. It felt redundant, and the claustrophobic feeling came from there being rarely, if any wide shots besides an establishing shot, less from seeing the back of Jennifer Lawrence's head 50% of the time. It became tiring, and even as the movie was ramping up to a fever pitch I was already missing the Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer moments, despite all of the chaos. I honestly can't say I thought it was a bad film, but I can easily say I didn't think it was great.

Still I'd probably recommend it to friends who want to see the story of a Warlock who has enthralled and captured a young woman and uses her vitality to power his magic house, on the big screen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Penpal posted:

Did anyone notice during the final act that there were some people in the chaos trying to fix the house? There were people using the plaster mother was using, a small group who were trying to clean, but by the final moments I couldn't spot any of that.

That's an awesome catch.

We held a private screening for a few friends and the main thing I noticed on second viewing was the tiny 'crystal ringing' noise placed strategically throughout certain scenes. I'm under the impression that the almost inaudible ringing represents a sort of feminine memory, a hypnotic and portentous reminder of something that has been wiped out, or of some better instinct that is always there underneath the surface but plastered over and ignored time and again.

mother takes laudanum (a classic suppression of feminine instinct, emotion, and 'hysterical action' ) at certain points when she starts to hear the advice of that ringing, which to her becomes a loud and foreboding warning. After she takes the laudanum she becomes compliant, distant, and accepting of the ridiculous poo poo around her. You can hear the ringing like a slight metronome in the background during all scenes where Man or Woman are in the room with the glass heart, as if it is speaking to them as well. The background ringing stops when the crystal heart is broken, and mother's loud ringing panic attacks stop after conception of the child, she also dumps the laudanum down the toilet (which is funny because if she and the house are the same thing...she's basically dumping the whole bottle into herself!)

The next time we hear the metronome-like ringing in the background is after she gives birth and is holed up in the room with Him. She asserts an unassailable will over the ever watchful husband, and the ringing runs continuously throughout the entirety of that scene until she drops her guard in exhaustion and the child is snatched. The last time we hear the ringing noise is when her charred body is being carried across a grey, desolate landscape like some Joan of Arc. Then, from the ashes, new mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 27, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penpal posted:

Still I'd probably recommend it to friends who want to see the story of a Warlock who has enthralled and captured a young woman and uses her vitality to power his magic house, on the big screen.

I laughed, though. Sort of snorted, really.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

resurgam40 posted:

Saw this myself this past weekend, and have been chewing on it all week like a dog worries a bone. It's... interesting to read the reactions to this movie, both in this thread and in the film reviews, and one of the most interesting things is:

-just how many people, otherwise academic or making pretensions to the same, have come away from the movie thinking the Biblical analogy was "the point" of the movie.

My thoughts exactly after debating it online for awhile. I have this suspicion that mostly everyone who complains that the movie was only a Bible rettelling read a bunch of reviews and read Aronofsky's weird open comments about the symbology (weird in the sense that authors usually don't comment about meaning in this way) before actually seeing the movie and went in with a bunch of expectations. Maybe this was all 4d chess type trolling from Aronofsky but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I found the movie extremely provocative, and to be honest I didn't get one single inkling while wathcing it that it was about Christianity, the garden of eden, or anything else biblical. I thought it was mainly about abusive relations, narcistic authors, consumer culture and hedonism vs art. And I thought it was Aronofsky's best movie and certainly much better than The Fountain with all it's Malikian Hollywood chic pseudo budhist new age crap which I detest.

Fados fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 27, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anonymous John posted:

Yeah I though the worst part was the loving nice guy dude who's acting entitled over JLaw in her own house, and then calls her an arrogant oval office.

That was loving Grady from Tremors 2!

Also the movie was pretty interesting. I liked it. Once it clicked I enjoyed it more. I liked how not subtle it was at all once it got going. And the last act was my favorite. I was kinda losing interest a bit early on. It didn't grab me until the allegory clicked, I forgot where that was though.

Also did anyone mention when Lawrence pours the stuff into the water, it creates the same kind of lighting effect that's inside the crystal? I thought that was interesting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this on Fandango earlier and could not stop laughing:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw this on Fandango earlier and could not stop laughing:

It must be a special showing if they let you bring food in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I Before E posted:

:vince:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

:holymoley:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just saw it. Pretty drat good. It's basically an absurdist drama, which is a genre I'm not really that familiar with beyond knowing it's a thing- it's shot very naturalistically but it has a lot in common with plays where everyone is acting perfectly normal but one of them has been shot and is bleeding to death, that sort of thing.

I do wonder how I would have reacted if I didn't know the common religious metaphor reading going in- like if not having such a framework would have made the film seem more disjointed. Of course there are times when the film REALLY goes for broke on the symbolism, possibly to its detriment- the cannibalism bit felt like too much.

From that religious standpoint, it is kind of interesting in that it's a take on theodicy that seems to indict humanity as much as God- it's not just "Why does God allow suffering?" but "Why does God allow us to do this to ourselves and each other?" Of course in that reading Mother may have to be some sort of "divinity" as well, predating as she does the arrival of Man- she's even called a goddess at least once. Maybe that's referring to concepts of a feminine deity contrasting with the typical masculine Judeo-Christian, which is a thing in some circles. Of course she ends up created out of dust too, so... hmm.

But as said there's the other reading, focusing more on creativity and how artists basically throw themselves open to strangers at the expense of the people close to them, which is also valid. I don't think it's a film that's entirely one or the other.

Like there are a few problems I had with it- not sure I liked how crushed the colors were (I suppose there's some symbolism in the predominance of earth tones but everyone's skin seems more orange than usual- seriously can't we do this without messing up flesh tones?) In the third act it does start to seem a little repetitive- it's just piling awfulness upon awfulness and that's what the story needs but how many scenes do we need of someone starting to do something and then getting interrupted by a nearby explosion.

But overall, good. Glad it got made, have no idea why Paramount sprung for a wide release, but see it while you can.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
She's actually almost only called a goddess. He calls her His wife once or twice but every other time says "my goddess."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

God has billions of neglected creations who've come to harm.

(Much of it from ourselves, but the movie certainly doesn't avoid showing this side of things either.)

Psalm 147
He covers the heavens with clouds; he prepares rain for the earth; he makes grass grow on the hills.
He gives to the beast its food, And to the young ravens which cry.

Life has suffering, but it's more than just suffering.

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think
Went into this, with my wife, only knowing it was the new Aronofsky, it starred jlaw, and a short blurb made it sound like rosemary's baby. 3 other people in the theatre. The opening scene put me in the mindset that the whole thing was unlinked from reality, and I started reading it as an information-rich allegory for creative control. Felt like the stressful events in the first act didn't have any emotional ballasting. I didn't catch the biblical references (only thing that clicked was the frog, fly, and blood [plagues?]), even though in hindsight they were so very on-the-nose. The cinematography was so disorienting, and big part of my thoughts were how platonically... fertile Lawrence looked. When the brothers were fighting, Smog's "I Feel Like the Mother of the World" played in my head. The unbraced sink caused me no end of anxiety, and I was relieved when it did break. As the movie was finishing the second act, I was struck by how absolutely unmarketable this whole thing was, and had no idea at that moment that it would turn into the Fireball that it did.

I was having a hard time deciding whether I liked it or not, but its been two days since I saw it and it keeps floating in my brain.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Quick question: Should I spoil myself on this movie or is it worth the wait to see it spoiler free?

I've managed to avoid spoilers for this movie and the hype/controversy surrounding it has got me chomping at the bit to see. However I probably won't see it any time soon.

My question is, is this movie worth waiting to see spoiler free or should I just spoil myself now?

Also I previously had this same dilema with Get Out, but decided to wait and see it spoiler free, and it ended up being worth the wait. Of course that was a different movie so it might not be the same for this one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question: Should I spoil myself on this movie or is it worth the wait to see it spoiler free?

I've managed to avoid spoilers for this movie and the hype/controversy surrounding it has got me chomping at the bit to see. However I probably won't see it any time soon.

My question is, is this movie worth waiting to see spoiler free or should I just spoil myself now?

Also I previously had this same dilema with Get Out, but decided to wait and see it spoiler free, and it ended up being worth the wait. Of course that was a different movie so it might not be the same for this one.

Don't spoil it. Go in blind.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw it a few weeks ago with two friends who don't go to the movies that often. that was a poor decision and we all left traumatized. way too gruesome/visceral.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Easily Aronofsky's best film, one of the great panic movies, now the They Shoot Horses and Funny Games duo can become a healthy, horrifying pantheon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

any critic thinking this was "the worst movie ever" should see Flatliners because having seen it this weekend, it's easily one of the most worthless films I've seen in years

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I tend to spoil myself for every film and I usually don't care, but this is a rare case where I wish I hadn't spoiled myself. It really would be best to see it without knowing where it goes.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DLC Inc posted:

any critic thinking this was "the worst movie ever" should see Flatliners because having seen it this weekend, it's easily one of the most worthless films I've seen in years

I think a lot of people are saying worst when they mean the most unpleasant

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DLC Inc posted:

I watched "The Room" this weekend.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Certainly nothing in mother! makes me as nauseous as Tommy's assshot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Bloop posted:

I watched "The Room" this weekend.
The Room owns as does Mother!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I saw the room for the first time this weekend and, like mother! it has a sort of nightmarish logic to it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Room owns as does Mother!

I mean, The Room is almost unbelievable terrible in every way and is entertaining (to the degree that it is) because of how completely it misses the mark in literally every sense.

mother! is a good movie because it pretty much does precisely what it sets out to do.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
For anyone who wants more stuff in the vein of this, check out the works of Harold Pinter, particularly The Homecoming and The Birthday Party. It's not as apocalyptic or over-the-top, but he basically invented the comedy of menace genre, where a character is forced to give up all aspects of control and autonomy in the face of socially accepted cruelty. I definitely think going into this movie to hunt for allegories is the wrong way to do it, because it's much more entertaining and engaging as straight, nightmarish social horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pinter rules, and Friedkin's adaptation of The Birthday Party is excellent.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

For anyone who wants more stuff in the vein of this, check out the works of Harold Pinter, particularly The Homecoming and The Birthday Party. It's not as apocalyptic or over-the-top, but he basically invented the comedy of menace genre, where a character is forced to give up all aspects of control and autonomy in the face of socially accepted cruelty. I definitely think going into this movie to hunt for allegories is the wrong way to do it, because it's much more entertaining and engaging as straight, nightmarish social horror.

The Double is a definite direct precursor imo. It's different enough to be another thing but that paranoiac element is a big influence

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 10, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DeimosRising posted:

The Double is a definite direct precursor imo. It's different enough to be another thing but that paranoiac element is a big influence

Oh my god, yeah, I forgot about The Double, that sense of just being persistently disbelieved and in the wrong is so well explored there. The Stranger is another good one, as well, and The Trial too (not to mention Metamorphosis), and, to a lesser extent, Dogville. The cast-out who runs mysteriously afoul of a social game and is harassed into mania, though none of them do it so aggressively and well as mother!, which totally nails it - I've had so many dreams exactly like this movie.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anonymous John posted:

Yeah I though the worst part was the loving nice guy dude who's acting entitled over JLaw in her own house, and then calls her an arrogant oval office.

I thought the worst part was when they ate her baby and beat her half to death

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

remigious posted:

Just saw this movie last night. I fully expect to get crucified for having this opinion, but I liked the first 2 acts a hell of a lot more than the final act. I loved the pacing, the acting, the sound was loving fantastic, and then the third act hit and it was all just too much too fast. I almost walked out. Not because I didn't understand what was happening or why, but because (please forgive me, there is no better word) mother's experiences were very triggering. I can't handle stories where a person's agency is completely taken away.
I can't get this film out if my head, and I love that about it, but the imagery at times was just too much for me.

I came out kinda legit traumatized tbh.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Easily Aronofsky's best film, one of the great panic movies, now the They Shoot Horses and Funny Games duo can become a healthy, horrifying pantheon.

I loved mother! but I think I'd put Black Swan and The Wrestler over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

remigious posted:

I almost walked out. Not because I didn't understand what was happening or why, but because (please forgive me, there is no better word) mother's experiences were very triggering. I can't handle stories where a person's agency is completely taken away.

You shan't have been triggered. There are no "people" in this film.

• Locked thread