Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Manatee Cannon posted:

is there a competitive game where there aren't tiers and everything is viable?

I'm not limiting this to fighting games

Guilty Gear has tiers but everyone's viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The only tierless comp games I've ever played were Street Fighter 1 and IK+

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Shoulda gone with a Caulifla and Kale DLC pack or hell, even a Botamo and Magetta DLC pack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just caught up on the last couple of episodes and goddamn Freeza loving owns.
They seemed to have upped the production values for these two episodes as well, I especially loved the deliciously deranged expressions they gave to Frost. Him getting erased was extremely cathartic. I'm also happy that Roshi got to retire like a champ.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 27, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yesh posted:

U4 Speculation: Damon and Gamisaras aren’t invisible but actually sticking either to the side or bottom of the arena. They are described as cicada warriors. Note that cicadas can fly and molt.

Cicadas nymphs dig into the ground.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yesh posted:

U4 Speculation: Damon and Gamisaras aren’t invisible but actually sticking either to the side or bottom of the arena. They are described as cicada warriors. Note that cicadas can fly and molt.

Can you think of another cicada-looking fellow that molted and generally made a mess of things?

Cell. 17 and 18 will have a chance to fight the U4 version of Cell when Damon absorbs Gamisaras. Or we get Gohan v. Cell again when he/she absorbs 17 & 18 lol

I like this and am sad it probably won't happen

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A calendar of all things actually showed Damom's full appearance recently. He's about as tiny as the devil guy from the Pride Troopers, but he is on the same page as Brianne, Jiren, Kale, Caulifla and Goku, which interesting.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, the idea of there being a U4 Cell type is really cool and almost certainly won't happen. Would be funny if the end result is that Goku dies (or in this case, rings out) because Gohan goes on a power trip and doesn't finish the fucker (again)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Yamcha is suddenly glad they didn't invite him. He doesn't want a repeat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Reminder that no one in Japan gives a poo poo about Cell, a character less popular than Korin, and expecting some kind of elaborate throwback to him (why the gently caress U4?) is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Good cell sucked

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kashuno posted:

Good cell sucked

yeah he did :mmmsmug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cell was great, gently caress the haters.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Look there's a simple way to determine what's going to happen in Super.

ask 'what is the most boring way to resolve this in the ToP'

and that will happen.

'What's the most boring way to resolve Universe 9's grudge against Goku and how they set up a rivalry between Universe 9's Trio De Dangers and Goku?' "Goku and Vegeta Eliminate all of their members together immediately."

'What's the most boring way to present a cross universe tournament of the strongest warriors in each?' "Universe 7's weakest members are so incredibly strong that to a man they can each handle half a dozen challengers or more by themselves."

'What's the most boring way to resolve Frost and Freeza's alliance?' "Frost is revealed as being entirely cut rate Freeza who has no new ideas and accomplishes nothing before Freeza knocks him out, because someone being a challenge to Freeza would be terrifying."

etc. etc.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Reminder that no one in Japan gives a poo poo about Cell, a character less popular than Korin, and expecting some kind of elaborate throwback to him (why the gently caress U4?) is setting yourself up for disappointment.

gently caress japan

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Now granted that popularity poll was a decade old so things could have changed

but given that we're getting a game with a story focused on Android 16's revival instead of something about Cell, I doubt it has.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If Japan isn't down with Cell Japan doesn't know rear end

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stallion Cabana posted:

Look there's a simple way to determine what's going to happen in Super.

ask 'what is the most boring way to resolve this in the ToP'

and that will happen.

'What's the most boring way to resolve Universe 9's grudge against Goku and how they set up a rivalry between Universe 9's Trio De Dangers and Goku?' "Goku and Vegeta Eliminate all of their members together immediately."

'What's the most boring way to present a cross universe tournament of the strongest warriors in each?' "Universe 7's weakest members are so incredibly strong that to a man they can each handle half a dozen challengers or more by themselves."

'What's the most boring way to resolve Frost and Freeza's alliance?' "Frost is revealed as being entirely cut rate Freeza who has no new ideas and accomplishes nothing before Freeza knocks him out, because someone being a challenge to Freeza would be terrifying."

etc. etc.

But the way they did #1 and #3 are awesome. And #2 resulted in some cool episodes (and a Tien episode but hey nobody's perfect).

Stallion I don't think you actually like this show, you might want to try something else.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

IcePhoenix posted:

But the way they did #1 and #3 are awesome. And #2 resulted in some cool episodes (and a Tien episode but hey nobody's perfect).

Stallion I don't think you actually like this show, you might want to try something else.

I do like it on some levels; I think the actual fights are really cool.

Like when the actual fights happen, when people are throwing punches and poo poo, I think that is super cool and fun to watch. When there's drama about how the Universe may not survive and Zenos are erasing people, that's super cool.

My problem comes in the execution and the eventual feeling that, while those ideas are cool, they aren't being utilized in a way that could be. I am no genius at presenting things or anything like that and maybe my ideas would be worse, but I can't help but have them and when I think about what I thought would have been cool versus what happens, I end up thinking what I came up with seems cooler.

I like this idea of the tournament. I don't really like the fact that it's had most of it's threat deflated because all the other universes are really weak; I enjoyed the idea that this tournament may not even focus on Goku, that as a battle royal it'd be totally different then any other Dragonball Tournament, where Goku may not even appear in an episode because we're watching Hit take on some crazy dude from Universe whatever. But it's always been Goku. It's always Goku or someone else from Universe 7 (or sometimes 6) that takes the primary focus in every episode. The show is about Goku, and I don't deny that, but part of what made Dragonball's original tournaments interesting is that they wouldn't have Goku in every match; you could get excited by watching other people fight to go 'man, that guy is really strong. How is Goku gonna beat him', even if you knew, as the protagonist of the Story, Goku was going to win. And then sometimes Goku lost anyway! And that was even crazier!

I don't get that here. I've never felt like 'how is Goku going to win' in the Tournament of Power once it started; I was super like 'this is going to be amazing, I'm gonna love it, this is gonna be tough, everyone's gonna have a chance to shine because there's 80 people, and there's gonna be stars we didn't even know about that are gonna be rivals going forward'. The fight with the three GoDs was super cool because it backed that up; 'here's a preview of the tournament; three fighters duking it out, alternating between teaming up on each other and fighting against each other'. That 4 minute fight got me super hyped up for the tournament.

But it hasn't really panned out that way and ever since Goku and Vegeta crushed Universe 9 the feeling has mostly been 'Well I wonder how many people Goku is going to trivially eliminate this week'. Note that Universe 9 being crushed by itself wasn't enough for this; there's always gonna be losers and I wasn't expecting 70 people all as strong as Goku. I was expecting some people to be thrown off early. But then it kept happening again and again. 3 or 4 people an episode (though now it's 'only' 1 or 2) knocked off as Goku and a couple of friends each episode show up to beat them up and then move on to the next one. Each time as the show itself desperately tries to go 'no no, this is a challenge, I promise this is a challenge', the actual actions don't really show it. Goku bounces from fight to fight casually trouncing whoever shows up, even while the Grand Priest goes 'Ah it seems all the weaklings have been defeated'.

I want to feel tension. I want to feel like Goku and his team are desperately fighting to stay alive. But I don't feel it because the show seems almost terrified to show anyone being a match for Goku or Vegeta.

That's where I'm really disappointed in the show, more then anything; I want to feel tense in addition to the cool battles, but mostly it's boring because the show isn't trying very hard to hide the suspension of disbelief that Goku and his universe won't come out of this mostly fine.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 28, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
At the very least no one should have bothered asking how they were gonna deal with Universe 9, because they were the most foddery fodder to ever exist and it was really obvious they'd be dealt with quickly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

People seem to have an incredibly wrong idea of something that was shown from the get-go. Yes, Goku and Vegeta are some of the hardest hitters in the entire tournament. We knew this from the beginning, Goku merely becoming Blue sets the Gods in panic mode because a mortal should not ever be at that level, and Goku's current strongest form is ten times stronger. And it'll be twenty times stronger next episode, and the silver-eyed form is even stronger than that.

Goku and Vegeta are abnormal not for U7 but for the entire multiverse (god, using that word for canon Dragon Ball just feels off). The only real threats they might have are Hit, who we already know is himself ridiculously powerful for a mortal and even there is likely nowhere near Goku's full power right now, Toppo who is strong enough to be considered for a God of Destruction position (something the Saiyans share) and Jiren who is even stronger than that and was set-up from the start as the greatest threat.

If you genuinely expected Goku and Vegeta to have any sort of issues with the vermin of the tournament after the series went way out of its way to set up how the Kaioshin of every universe are terrified of Goku's Super Saiyan Blue form, I don't know what to tell you.

Is it lame? I don't know. It'd be really weird if that kind of massive power was normal. The Tournament of Power was set-up as a place where strategy matters, but we also had Goku vs Krillin where all of Krillin's strategy stopped mattering the moment Goku became Blue because the power gap was just gigantic. The Tournament is a moment for the weaker part of the cast to finally get to do something, and we've gotten that without a doubt from the human trio. Well, human duo, Tenshinhan was beyond disappointing but I genuinely think someone in the writing cast hates the triclops. But seriously, the Roshi episodes, one creepy moment aside, were what I wanted out of this arc, just seeing the neglected part of the cast finally shine, and it has not disappointed for the baldies. 17 has also been very good and 18 had some really good moments, although she lacks spotlight. I do hope Gohan and Piccolo get a better showing soon because it's kind of poo poo that Gohan was set-up as regaining all that power and going toe-to-toe with Blue Goku only to perform this badly afterwards.

The focus is on U7, yeah. It wasn't going to be otherwise, they're the protagonists. The series won't focus on 80 different guys when most of them exist to get ringed out. Be glad U6 has gotten nice moments (though Cabba is incredibly superfluous and I want to see the Namekians already) and U2 gave us the wonder that is the Fireballs. And Jimeze was neat, RIP.

Do I have problems with this arc? Hoo boy do I. Beyond Tenshinhan's incredibly poor showing (and I don't even like the guy, but c'mon), Piccolo going through arms faster than ever and Gohan underperforming badly, there's a few things that annoy me. Jiren is set up as this big threat and he does show that he's really drat powerful but there's no personality there to make me care. Then again, same went for Hit and I ended up liking him, so I hope Buff Jaco gets to actually be someone when he fights Goku. And the entire emotional part of the Tournament just does not work because everyone's apparently a giant sociopath other than Gohan. Goku especially, they're murdering an uncountable number of people yet instead of fighting in fear or rage they just seem to not care at best and enjoy the hell out of the situation at worst. Coupled with the series badly walking back from Goku ruining everything, it makes me wonder if there's some sort of disconnect between the writers who wanted this to have the highest possible stakes and those that just want a tournament arc. It goes double since the Future Trunks arc had no issues with hitting you in the guts with how lovely the whole situation was and it only got sadder with time until everyone died, but here we've had very few moments that actually hit the emotions they should (Gowasu's death mostly, with Gohan being the only one to actually show regret for his actions and just Gowasu regaining hope only to lose it yet dying honourably. Goodbye, our beloved GodTuber).

But even with those, I'm enjoying this arc episode-by-episode, Tenshinhan aside. We've had really cool fights and spotlight on characters that dearly deserved it (where's Yamcha though). I greatly hope that the ending won't disappoint and that Goku vs Jiren will be as ridiculously flashy as Goku vs Hit was. And, you know, maybe that Gohan gets to actually be cool? I've been waiting literal years for that, Toei! Since Cell!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The U9 getting owned episode still remains my favorite ToP episode. Goku and Vegeta working together is always the best. I got so loving pumped when Vegeta turns blue right before unleashing his final flash.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is a very good effort post and basically hits on anything I might have said but probably does a better job than how I would have said it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 28, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it lame? I don't know. It'd be really weird if that kind of massive power was normal.

I don't have much beef with your analysis of the issue in particular, but I'd just like to refer to this and point out that this is the series where a scientist working off a defunct criminal organization's resources created at least 5 androids/cyborgs that could have easily shitstomped the galactic emperor who ruled through fear of his ability to personally crush everyone.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I want to see the Androids interact with Freeza

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why do you all suppose that Japan doesnt like Cell, or at least likes Cell a lot less than Freeza?

Personally i've always been a little ambivalent about Cell. I dont like that he makes freeza, the saiyans, Piccolo, seem less special because he's got all their abilities.

Not to get too fan fiction-y but i think it would have been cool if, instead of the androids being something Dr. Gero built by himself, he built them by getting his hands on Tuffle technology. They're still his creations but he built them by reverse engineering some kind of Tuffle super weapon like Hatchiyak or whatever. But i dont feel like writing a whole fanfic about how this happens and whatever i'd write would probably end up being lamer than what we got. Though I do like the Android and Cell Arcs but mostly for their character development. The androids are pretty cool the way they are but like I said, Cell is so-so.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dr.acula posted:

I want to see the Androids interact with Freeza

Yes. It's weird that we haven't seen that yet. I wonder what they would make of each other. Freeza is stronger than they are by this point, by a long shot, so they wouldn't exactly look down on him. But they wouldn't revere him or hate him or anything, either. How would they react?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the androids would barely react and freeza doesn't have a hate boner for them like he does the saiyans so he'd probably just dismiss them out of hand

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Krillin could tell 18 that Freeza killed their daughter for a few seconds before a quick re-do. Did 18 die when the planet exploded? Can 18 survive in space?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

buu and maybe freeza himself would have survived but outside of that it's just the people in whis' bubble

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Why do you all suppose that Japan doesnt like Cell, or at least likes Cell a lot less than Freeza?

cell ranks really low in those shonen jump character popularity polls

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

buu and maybe freeza himself would have survived but outside of that it's just the people in whis' bubble

What about Arale?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cease to Hope posted:

cell ranks really low in those shonen jump character popularity polls

He was asking for the reason why, not why do you think that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

her entire town was touring space with zeno at the time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He was asking for the reason why, not why do you think that.

I think it's pretty simple. Personality-wise and goal-wise Cell has nothing going for him. He's a mish-mash of character traits from other, better characters, and just because that makes sense with his backstory doesn't make it less obvious.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He's handsome and has a cool voice

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

And he can go super Saiyan

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What does Cell do that Frieza doesn't? Have a rivalry with Gohan I suppose, but even just this episode made Frieza interacting with him seem far more interesting.

Him being considered Gohan's archenemy probably didn't help his popularity much, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

About 90% of Perfect Cell's character is in Norio Wakamoto and Dameon Clarke's performance.

The fact that the Cell saga from Imperfect Cell on has pretty much no funny parts besides Mr. Satan doesn't help.