Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's the opposite way around. cell can do everything everyone else can do so actually his bag of tricks is way deeper than freeza's. if he trained for a month like freeza did, he could get the same kind of super form just like he got a ss2 style transformation from his saiyan zenkai boost

there's not as much personal animosity between him and the heroes as there is with freeza tho. xenoverse cell kinda colored my opinion on him tbh and I'd love to see that rendition of him come back, but actual cell doesn't add much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Imperfect Cell is great. He's this big creepy gently caress off monster that's not just super powerful, but also tricky and clever.

He eats people in grotesque ways and is a driven motherfucker. His design is also ace.

Semi Perfect Cell wasn't around long enough to be much of anything.

Perfect Cell is just boring.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Cell was somehow charismatic enough to be considered a replacement for rear end in a top hat frieza, so

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Semi Perfect Cell was around long enough to be the worst designed villain in Dragonball

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Semi Perfect Cell was around long enough to be the worst designed villain in Dragonball

Dragonball GT exists.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Dragonball GT exists.

I disagree

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Cell owns and it's sad that he basically loses all his interesting motivation after becoming Perfect

He should've stayed in form 1

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think Frieza will try the whole "blow up the planet/arena when I start losing" strategy again? Would that get him dq'd?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Uh, guys, they already had a character in the tournament that was a reference to Cell. He showed up, got defeated by Master Roshi, and forgotten.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Blockhouse posted:

Semi Perfect Cell was long enough to be the worst designed villain in Dragonball

That whole thing was a serpent trail of creative decision versus publisher, and I don't know If i can speak for others, but the entire debacle turning into cell bringing the avatar of pain to young gohan is good enough for me.

When i was a kid, I was wishing for gohan to take some motherfucking action, but no, he was a bitch. After all those years of disappointment, I felt pretty vindicated when he finally, FINALLY, let cell know just how hosed he was now that Gohan was the one to surpass the SS level.

I was so glad that it wasn't that loving retarded baby Goku's turn to surpass anybody this time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Dragonball GT exists.

You're right, I apologize.

He's the worst Toriyama designed villain.

Fargin Icehole posted:

That whole thing was a serpent trail of creative decision versus publisher

So here's the thing: none of the people who told Toriyama to change what happened with the Androids and Cell were his actual, current editors. They were ex-editors who had retired or no longer worked on his book calling him up personally and telling him to change poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

You think Frieza will try the whole "blow up the planet/arena when I start losing" strategy again? Would that get him dq'd?

if he destroyed the ring, wouldn't everyone automatically lose

I guess that could be counted as a tie :v: "thanks for saving every universe but 9 and 10 freeza! you're a true hero, unlike that scum goku" - toppo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blockhouse posted:

Funny thing with that is that I'm pretty sure Semi Cell only existed for like 15 minutes in-story.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

So here's the thing: none of the people who told Toriyama to change what happened with the Androids and Cell were his actual, current editors. They were ex-editors who had retired or no longer worked on his book calling him up personally and telling him to change poo poo.

Toriyama works best when he has people reigning him.He's the guy who forgets poo poo about his own series all the time. I think having a more organized guy to give him some direction is a good thing. His editors were right about the androids not making the best villains.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Toriyama's editor hated semi-perfect Cell so much that he requested that he be in as little content as possible.

Edit: Toriyama is basically anime George Lucas.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I hope Kubo becomes his editor and we get the greatest looking characters ever but it takes 5 more years to finish this tournament

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I do like about Cell is that he's sort of a combination of every villain Goku has faced before, except for Pilaf and his gang. He has the dna of Freeza, Vegeta, and Piccolo (and Goku himself), and has all their techniques, and he was created by a scientist of the Red Ribbon Army. So Red Ribbon Army + Piccolo + the Saiyans + Freeza, all combined into one final being. Problem is he's kind of boring. But the basic idea was okay.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

RealFoxy posted:

I hope Kubo becomes his editor and we get the greatest looking characters ever but it takes 5 more years to finish this tournament

Kubo remix Dragonball. It will start in 2020 and end in 2057 period at the same time, Oda will make his own play on Dragonball. It will end after the universe has ended and will be completed about around the next Universe begins.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cell is Serpentor, Freeza is Cobra Commander.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darko posted:

Cell is Serpentor, Freeza is Cobra Commander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUw8cN6R8o0

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Japan likes grindy RPGs and Gacha games their taste can't be trusted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blue Star posted:

He has the dna of Freeza.

No, he doesn't. Gero having zero knowledge about the Namek stuff was sort of a plot point .

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

One thing I do like about Cell is that he's sort of a combination of every villain Goku has faced before, except for Pilaf and his gang. He has the dna of Freeza, Vegeta, and Piccolo (and Goku himself), and has all their techniques, and he was created by a scientist of the Red Ribbon Army. So Red Ribbon Army + Piccolo + the Saiyans + Freeza, all combined into one final being. Problem is he's kind of boring. But the basic idea was okay.

It was actually really dumb and boring because Cell was explicitly missing when everyone got a massive powerboost on namek. Cell was lame from day 1, but at least it ended pretty radically (only to be completely thrown out by the Buu arc)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

No, he doesn't. Gero having zero knowledge about the Namek stuff was sort of a plot point .

The show at least shows him collecting DNA from Trunks/Freeza during the few minutes he's there before he is cut up.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Gonna agree with the Japanese here. The Cell saga is my least favorite and while base Cell is pretty cool, the more perfect he becomes the more boring he is. His abilities were lame and even with surprising charisma and incredible voice acting, he was still just yet another smug villain. I honestly liked the original android's gimmick the best even though the fat mime and old guy designs weren't as intimidating.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My router's wifi network is called Mr. Perfect Cell :colbert:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You know, thinking on it a little more, the reason Japan doesn't really care about Cell compared to the West might be based on how the series was introduced to each region.

In Japan, you go through the entire series, manga or anime, as one serial adventure. Yeah, you get filler and stuff, but it's basically one big thing, from Bulma finding Goku in the forest and shooting him, to Goku flying off to train Uub.

In America, at least, you got the Pilaf arc of DB, which was aired in syndication for like one season, before they jumped directly into Z. From there, you got up to Recoome, and then it looped back to Raditz. When Cartoon Network picked it up, they started directly from Z, without airing DB. They also kept looping it until it was so popular more episodes were funded.

The difference here is very much in how the two regions told the story. In Japan, the entire thing is clearly the story of Goku. He's the primary character through Dragonball, it's all about his journey. Once you get to Z, yeah, he gets killed real fast and stuff, but the journey is still about everyone getting ready for the big fight where Goku comes back. From there, of course, it moves to Namek where Goku, again, comes back midway through. We move to Androids and Cell, where Goku may be out of the spotlight for a while, but he's still the driving force behind the plot. The Androids all want him dead, Cell wants him as an opponent, all that stuff. The Buu Saga is, again, Goku coming back for a bit, leaving for a bit, but then saving the day again. The entire series is Goku focused, starting with Dragonball being all about his journey and only expanding later to move the focus off him at points.

In America, since the vast majority of people started with Z, something different happened. We didn't have Dragonball to establish that Goku was the super focus of the story. Even just having the Pilaf Saga, if you happened to see it, was closer to an ensemble cast. Going into Z, if this is your first introduction to Goku, he is nearly immediately killed off after his son displays amazing power. You know Goku is the best fighter and stuff, but your introduction is him being surpassed by his young son, who is then being told he could be the greatest warrior. The series moves on to everyone preparing for the Saiyans, including a heavy focus on Gohan becoming a fighter under Piccolo's teaching. Goku goes through Snake Way and trains with King Kai and saves the day with Nappa, yes, but then the ensemble cast manages to take down Vegeta, and Goku is in a medical bed again. So Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma go to Namek, and it becomes very much a story about them. Plus, halfway through the Ginyu Force, it breaks and loops for years, establishing the story of Z as more Gohan focused than Goku focused in the minds of viewers.

An important effect of that is when Goku and Gohan both have their biggest moments. All through Dragonball and into Z, there's talk about how Goku is this prodigy. He has losses, yeah, but Dragonball establishes that Goku always manages to overcome, and that it's his journey the viewer is following. His biggest moment, then, is when he literally embodies a legend from his home planet, and becomes a Super Saiyan, defeating Frieza.

If you cut out DB, you cut out a lot of the establishment of it being Goku's story. Suddenly it makes a ton more sense that, despite Goku swooping in to be the best warrior, it's Gohan's story now. Gohan's story of becoming like his father, and everyone's talk of him having all the potential, and him needing to fight to protect those he cares about and the such. We follow his journey from a little whiny brat to a budding fighter, and then the Namek loops establish even further that he's on a journey. To the western viewer, there's a lot more to Gohan's journey than Goku's, because most of Goku's journey already happened. Gohan is the kid that viewers want to be, the one who has this hidden potential that could be tapped into. His biggest moment is it all culminating in going Super Saiyan 2, surpassing his father and everyone else, and finally letting loose the potential that had been hinted at for years.

Having said all that, their greatest moments are against different villains. Goku's is against Frieza, Gohan's is against Cell. Considering how differently the airings went, and botches along the way (like Frieza's original set of voice actors and scripting), Japan's fans would focus on Goku, and the west would focus on Gohan. Along with that, their respective villains would get a massive bump due to pure association. Whomever they were fighting when their arcs finally climaxed would be their greatest antagonist, and that would be reflected popularity-wise.

So, looking at Dragonball/Z as Goku's story, as Japan would have done, gives you Frieza as the impetus for Goku's legend. The west, having gotten a version of the story that shifted the focus more towards Gohan, went for Cell. Thus, the split.

Obviously this isn't hard and fast, and there's a million other reasons too like old fashioned differences in tastes, but regardless it does make sense that both regions would feel the series focus differently.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

You know, thinking on it a little more, the reason Japan doesn't really care about Cell compared to the West might be based on how the series was introduced to each region.

In Japan, you go through the entire series, manga or anime, as one serial adventure. Yeah, you get filler and stuff, but it's basically one big thing, from Bulma finding Goku in the forest and shooting him, to Goku flying off to train Uub.

In America, at least, you got the Pilaf arc of DB, which was aired in syndication for like one season, before they jumped directly into Z. From there, you got up to Recoome, and then it looped back to Raditz. When Cartoon Network picked it up, they started directly from Z, without airing DB. They also kept looping it until it was so popular more episodes were funded.

The difference here is very much in how the two regions told the story. In Japan, the entire thing is clearly the story of Goku. He's the primary character through Dragonball, it's all about his journey. Once you get to Z, yeah, he gets killed real fast and stuff, but the journey is still about everyone getting ready for the big fight where Goku comes back. From there, of course, it moves to Namek where Goku, again, comes back midway through. We move to Androids and Cell, where Goku may be out of the spotlight for a while, but he's still the driving force behind the plot. The Androids all want him dead, Cell wants him as an opponent, all that stuff. The Buu Saga is, again, Goku coming back for a bit, leaving for a bit, but then saving the day again. The entire series is Goku focused, starting with Dragonball being all about his journey and only expanding later to move the focus off him at points.

In America, since the vast majority of people started with Z, something different happened. We didn't have Dragonball to establish that Goku was the super focus of the story. Even just having the Pilaf Saga, if you happened to see it, was closer to an ensemble cast. Going into Z, if this is your first introduction to Goku, he is nearly immediately killed off after his son displays amazing power. You know Goku is the best fighter and stuff, but your introduction is him being surpassed by his young son, who is then being told he could be the greatest warrior. The series moves on to everyone preparing for the Saiyans, including a heavy focus on Gohan becoming a fighter under Piccolo's teaching. Goku goes through Snake Way and trains with King Kai and saves the day with Nappa, yes, but then the ensemble cast manages to take down Vegeta, and Goku is in a medical bed again. So Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma go to Namek, and it becomes very much a story about them. Plus, halfway through the Ginyu Force, it breaks and loops for years, establishing the story of Z as more Gohan focused than Goku focused in the minds of viewers.

An important effect of that is when Goku and Gohan both have their biggest moments. All through Dragonball and into Z, there's talk about how Goku is this prodigy. He has losses, yeah, but Dragonball establishes that Goku always manages to overcome, and that it's his journey the viewer is following. His biggest moment, then, is when he literally embodies a legend from his home planet, and becomes a Super Saiyan, defeating Frieza.

If you cut out DB, you cut out a lot of the establishment of it being Goku's story. Suddenly it makes a ton more sense that, despite Goku swooping in to be the best warrior, it's Gohan's story now. Gohan's story of becoming like his father, and everyone's talk of him having all the potential, and him needing to fight to protect those he cares about and the such. We follow his journey from a little whiny brat to a budding fighter, and then the Namek loops establish even further that he's on a journey. To the western viewer, there's a lot more to Gohan's journey than Goku's, because most of Goku's journey already happened. Gohan is the kid that viewers want to be, the one who has this hidden potential that could be tapped into. His biggest moment is it all culminating in going Super Saiyan 2, surpassing his father and everyone else, and finally letting loose the potential that had been hinted at for years.

Having said all that, their greatest moments are against different villains. Goku's is against Frieza, Gohan's is against Cell. Considering how differently the airings went, and botches along the way (like Frieza's original set of voice actors and scripting), Japan's fans would focus on Goku, and the west would focus on Gohan. Along with that, their respective villains would get a massive bump due to pure association. Whomever they were fighting when their arcs finally climaxed would be their greatest antagonist, and that would be reflected popularity-wise.

So, looking at Dragonball/Z as Goku's story, as Japan would have done, gives you Frieza as the impetus for Goku's legend. The west, having gotten a version of the story that shifted the focus more towards Gohan, went for Cell. Thus, the split.

Obviously this isn't hard and fast, and there's a million other reasons too like old fashioned differences in tastes, but regardless it does make sense that both regions would feel the series focus differently.

That's a really smart analysis. It explains why so many people love teen Gohan and his crowning moment of badassery when he finishes off Cell for good. In my opinion though, what you described is more responsible for Gohan's popularity in the west than Cell's lack thereof in Japan. It could very well be both though, as well as other more subtle cultural reasons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

socialsecurity posted:

The show at least shows him collecting DNA from Trunks/Freeza during the few minutes he's there before he is cut up.

Huh, I don't remember that bit.

e: I did a search and I guess it's not Gero doing it but his drones being run by a computer that he basically ignores during the whole process, which is why he doesn't know about anything after Goku and Vegeta's fight on Earth.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 28, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that long writeup really makes me realize why Gohan killing Cell is a capstone for his arc (until ToP) and Goku becomes the focus again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Toriyama's editor hated semi-perfect Cell so much that he requested that he be in as little content as possible.

Edit: Toriyama is basically anime George Lucas.

Toriyama sounds like an extremely humble dude that would probably admit gladly that he made DBZ a worldwide beloved cartoon/comic basically by accident though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Last Celebration posted:

Toriyama sounds like an extremely humble dude that would probably admit gladly that he made DBZ a worldwide beloved cartoon/comic basically by accident though.

Toriyama regularly refers to himself as a guy who writes poop jokes for a living

Also for what it's worth, Gohan isn't inherently unpopular in Japan. He's the #1 character during the Cell Saga popularity poll, and then falls off the (listed) top five entirely during the Buu Saga, but is #4 on the final overall poll from the early 2000's. I think that says the issue people had with him really was just how he is post-Cell.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 28, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about Dragon ball was that Goku doesn't always win. It made the fights a bit more interesting, even if it seemed to go on an every other time basis.

The one time that wasn't the case (against Tambourine, after losing to tien) it was very upsetting and made me more invested in seeing how they'd pull through.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I miss all the blood and injuries. People would get hosed up in DBZ, but the violence in Super doesn't feel nearly as gritty. When Frieza killed that Yardrat dude it just looked like somebody took a magic marker to his face

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

It's pretty clearly stated that Cell is composed of cells derived from Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza, and I think Freeza's dad? Freeza and his dad came to earth and that's when the tiny insect robot got some of their cells.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 28, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blue Star posted:

Uh, yeah he does, brah. It's pretty clearly stated that Cell is composed of cells derived from Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza, and I think Freeza's dad? Freeza and his dad came to earth and that's when the tiny insect robot got some of their cells.
Yeah, the Androids were built using knowledge up to Vegeta's departure, but Cell was created later. Keep in mind that there were a couple of years between Freeza showing up and getting chaos dunk'd despite his advanced cybernetics and erotic smirking, and the appearance of the Androids - it's just that everyone involved was at least an adult human other than Gohan, so it mostly meant Bulma got a new hairstyle and also Trunks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, there's some confusion here.

Let me clear it up because I have a memory for inane plot points.

Cell, the one we know and mostly tolerate or love or maybe don't have any feelings for at all, has all of the strongest warriors of Earth AND Freeza's DNA.

Because he's from Trunk's time line, where Freeza was on Earth way longer and got into a punch up with Goku, who didn't immediately murder his rear end. One fun possibility is that Goku didn't have instant transmission in that time line either, though that's super up for speculation.

The Cell from the main time line would not have Freeza's DNA because Gero didn't know poo poo about Freeza or SSJ, unlike Future Gero.

We know there are more differences than just that because Future Gero never mind himself into an Android, and never finished Android 19. Android 17 and 18 killed him when he was still a human and didn't possess the bombs in their chest to act as a deterrent.

When in doubt, blame Trunks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Android 17 and 18 killed him when he was still a human

The flashback Cell has of them killing Dr. Gero shows him with the dome-brain still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I miss all the blood and injuries. People would get hosed up in DBZ, but the violence in Super doesn't feel nearly as gritty. When Frieza killed that Yardrat dude it just looked like somebody took a magic marker to his face

Same. :( But get used to it because its Japanese timeslot plus changing tv attitudes vs. when Z/OG Dragonball aired in the 80s mean the standards are stricter. What's funny is that Super is undergoing the exact opposite in the west. Between its later timeslot and America's own changing tv attitudes not only is there zero censoring of violence, they're even adding curses like 'dumbass'. That's a far cry from the "oh fiddle-dee-dee" bullshit in the 90s and even what Kai's TV version could get away with. It's all about the timeslot.

So now instead of Japan getting the gritty hardcore bloody badassery and mild swearing, and us getting it all cut out and censored, now we get a relatively tame product and spice it up with our own swearing. That's loving hilarious. The only downside is people who miss the grittier feel can't buy uncut DVDs anymore, because in the final product there's nothing to cut.