Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Super is a kids show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
In Trunks' timeline Goku used instant transmission to get to Earth faster and fought Frieza. The reason he didn't in the main timeline is because he sensed Trunks and wanted to see what he was gonna do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Super is a kids show

so was dbz. standards changed

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Burkion posted:

So, there's some confusion here.

Let me clear it up because I have a memory for inane plot points.

Cell, the one we know and mostly tolerate or love or maybe don't have any feelings for at all, has all of the strongest warriors of Earth AND Freeza's DNA.

Because he's from Trunk's time line, where Freeza was on Earth way longer and got into a punch up with Goku, who didn't immediately murder his rear end. One fun possibility is that Goku didn't have instant transmission in that time line either, though that's super up for speculation.

The Cell from the main time line would not have Freeza's DNA because Gero didn't know poo poo about Freeza or SSJ, unlike Future Gero.

We know there are more differences than just that because Future Gero never mind himself into an Android, and never finished Android 19. Android 17 and 18 killed him when he was still a human and didn't possess the bombs in their chest to act as a deterrent.

When in doubt, blame Trunks

This is incorrect. Gero did turn himself into a Android, 17 and 18 still likely had the bombs in them. (Trunks bringing back the make the bombs go off switch was how he killed them in Cells timeline.) Both Cells had Freeza DNA, because Gero had nothing to do with collecting the DNA his computer was automatically harvesting that stuff and harvested Freeza and his dads DNA to put into Cell. Gero was unaware of that stuff yes because he was not involved in the process.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Another DBZA hiatus update came out. Basically, the finale to the cell games could be nearly an hour or more long, and don't expect it out this year.

Disappointing news. I am all for them finding other ways to generate content, and making sure whatever they do moving forward means a smoother time with YouTube, but I'd be lying if I wasn't just a smidge annoyed the promise of a steadier schedule for DBZA never actually materialized. Life happens, butting heads with Toei and YouTube got worse as they continued, but it's still disappointing. I'm not really a fan of their other content, either, so there's that. I will say it is nice that they're not leaving fans completely in the dark, though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm just going to assume their next episode of DBZA will be the final one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm just going to assume their next episode of DBZA will be the final one.

Yeah, it seems safe to assume that Buu saga isn't very likely.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Certainly feels that way

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Even though it would be fun to see the Buu Saga I'm ok with them not doing it. I'm just happy that the Cell Saga is going to get an actual ending and not be rushed.

Also he said three thrity minute parts so that's actually an hour and a half

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I'd be ok with that because the Buu Saga almost feels like Abridged already in terms of self-parody.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Burkion posted:

So, there's some confusion here.

Let me clear it up because I have a memory for inane plot points.

Cell, the one we know and mostly tolerate or love or maybe don't have any feelings for at all, has all of the strongest warriors of Earth AND Freeza's DNA.

Because he's from Trunk's time line, where Freeza was on Earth way longer and got into a punch up with Goku, who didn't immediately murder his rear end. One fun possibility is that Goku didn't have instant transmission in that time line either, though that's super up for speculation.

The Cell from the main time line would not have Freeza's DNA because Gero didn't know poo poo about Freeza or SSJ, unlike Future Gero.

We know there are more differences than just that because Future Gero never mind himself into an Android, and never finished Android 19. Android 17 and 18 killed him when he was still a human and didn't possess the bombs in their chest to act as a deterrent.

When in doubt, blame Trunks

I got theory how it all went down.

• Freeza arrives on Earth
  • Freeza causes a havoc
  • Earth's mightiest warriors hold him off
  • Dr. Gero is both intrigued and loses his poo poo
  • After one of his bots collect some of Freeza's DNA, he tells his computer to incorporate it into the cell program
  • He then, after seeing Goku beat that monster, realizes that neither Android 19 or Android 20 (himself would be a match)
  • Spends all his time modifying Android 17 and 18 instead in hopes of finding a way to control them
  • Fails
  • Darkest Timeline Starts Here

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Where does Android 21 fit into all of this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

the pod next to the one the movie androids came from

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rhonne posted:

After Android 20 (Dr. Gero) but before the as of yet unseen Android 22.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't they mention at some point that they weren't planning on doing Buu even before they started Cell? Either way I'm glad that Cell is at least getting a proper finale.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Shinjobi posted:

Another DBZA hiatus update came out. Basically, the finale to the cell games could be nearly an hour or more long, and don't expect it out this year.

Disappointing news. I am all for them finding other ways to generate content, and making sure whatever they do moving forward means a smoother time with YouTube, but I'd be lying if I wasn't just a smidge annoyed the promise of a steadier schedule for DBZA never actually materialized. Life happens, butting heads with Toei and YouTube got worse as they continued, but it's still disappointing. I'm not really a fan of their other content, either, so there's that. I will say it is nice that they're not leaving fans completely in the dark, though.

They may legally be able to shed more light on this or are afraid that, if they do, that could cause them to get smacked down harder. They're working from an unstable legal position that it is, objectively, at the mercy of Toei: they got to work smart.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't they mention at some point that they weren't planning on doing Buu even before they started Cell? Either way I'm glad that Cell is at least getting a proper finale.

They always said they were willing to do Buu, but there wasn't any guarantee because life may get in the way.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Totally cool with them not doing Buu Saga. An actual end to an abridged series sounds like madness.

Buuut they've been doing it for so long, and i'm glad they got a legitimate offer to dub a show.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zoro posted:

They may legally be able to shed more light on this or are afraid that, if they do, that could cause them to get smacked down harder. They're working from an unstable legal position that it is, objectively, at the mercy of Toei: they got to work smart.

Yeah, and I'm cool with that. I'm cool with whatever they've got to do. Their stability and personal lives obviously come first. I'm just being honest when I say "I get it, please take care of what you got to, but I'm still a little bummed out."

I also think it's cool that a fan project has translated into actual professional work for them. They can keep freelancing stuff, and also work with industry vets along the way. It's a dream come true for what started as a fan project.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Stuff like Patreon and Kickstarter have brought out the pessimist in me thinking they're riding this on their 11 grand plus in monthly donations as long as they can, but that's just the jaded internet in me talking.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Stuff like Patreon and Kickstarter have brought out the pessimist in me thinking they're riding this on their 11 grand plus in monthly donations as long as they can, but that's just the jaded internet in me talking.

I don't think it's that pessimistic at all.

They want to establish some new stuff that they can actually make money on. It makes sense from a business perspective.

However, I think it's pretty disingenuous of kaiser to claim that the patronage was only used to support machinabridged. Let's be real. A ton of people donated to their patronage because they know they can't monetize DBZ abridged through the use of youtube ads and merchandise. Trying to pretend that it's an entirely separate entity from DBZ abridged is laughable, though I get why they do it for legal reasons.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should end the Cell Saga by foreshadowing Bojack and then never do the Bojack movie.

Alternatively, end it with Goku saying "Bye son!"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'd be cool with TFS ending it with the cell saga.

However, I want more short twitter cilps of their DBS stuff.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Honestly the thing I want the most from TFS doing the Buu saga is their take on Vegito, which I'm sure would be a lot more fun than he actually is. and they can just do some clips to cover that and i'd be satisfied

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They're already reaching for material to make fun of Mr. Satan in the arc he's only in at the end, what could they do for the saga that stars him somewhat?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Justin_Brett posted:

They're already reaching for material to make fun of Mr. Satan in the arc he's only in at the end, what could they do for the saga that stars him somewhat?

They're more or less just playing him straight; only really amping up his LIGHTS SHOWS AND TRICKS routine.

Also Antfish is a treasure and I like hearing him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are doing Buu, they talk about who they have cast as teen Gohan all the time.

They are just willing to put it on the back burner because they have legit turned teamfourstar into a company with an office and poo poo somehow and want to expand quickly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If Android 21 is Gero's wife, she was probably made into an Android at the same time as him, but they divorced and split custody of Android 16, their son and the weekend where he attacked West City was his weekend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man I can't think of a way in which 21 isn't either boring or really stupid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

All good dragon ball stuff is really stupid

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Android 21 is clearly a Cell from another timeline only this time Cell absorbed 18 first and instead of becoming a big hulking dude Cell became a shapely woman who has no idea how to handle a massive head of hair and with a fashion sense that falls somwhere between the old British mod scene and a harlequin outfit. How this isn't blindingly obvious to everyone, I don't know.

Oh also her 17 was accidentally killed by a meteor or something. I dunno, it happens.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope 17 gets to do more cool stuff soon.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

She's hot mate

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are doing Buu, they talk about who they have cast as teen Gohan all the time.
I mean if you're being pessimistic what's a better way to keep your patreon dollars flowing, implying you have content laid out for years and years or admitting you're not sure? Admitting you're going to do like, what's their next project?

I have to admit patreon in my experience rarely seems to make artists put out more material so maybe I'm just being sour. Like I said before though, I don't really care, Super fills the wacky DB hole in my heart just fine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They can have all the content in the world planned and still get cock smacked by Toei, especially as they try and establish themselves as a professional and actual dub house.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean if you're being pessimistic what's a better way to keep your patreon dollars flowing, implying you have content laid out for years and years or admitting you're not sure? Admitting you're going to do like, what's their next project?

I have to admit patreon in my experience rarely seems to make artists put out more material so maybe I'm just being sour. Like I said before though, I don't really care, Super fills the wacky DB hole in my heart just fine.

Their patron money seems heavily focused around their gaming poo poo.

Plus after Buu they are done so there is no reason not to finish.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Their patron money seems heavily focused around their gaming poo poo.

Plus after Buu they are done so there is no reason not to finish.

They could do GT.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

They could do GT.

They have less respect for GT than most people.

Part of why they're able to do DBZA is because of the genuine love they have for it.

Bad as GT is, it's not like SAO Abridged, where there COULD be a good story made from it with enough spite. GT is just nothing. Just a load of garbage. A cheap easy cash grab that failed to capture the spark and spirit of the original series in every single way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

They could do GT.

They could but they have been pretty open that GT isn't a thing and Super is to much a hassle do to how new it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I believe the best treatment for GT would be a DBKai Abridged style video covering the entire series in a faster and sillier manner. Although that'd mean they'd have to watch the entirety of it to pick up scenes.