Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Honestly I have never understood what makes food okay to eat at 5pm and not 7am. Bacon and eggs are great for dinner and I can see nothing wrong with eating left over spaghetti for breakfast.

gently caress my logical brain.

I have had eggs for dinner, because eggs are delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Good lord how many times have I eaten cereal for dinner? Off-hours meal consumption: the province of the middle-aged bachelor.

On my way out the door yesterday I heard the CEO shouting at Bill that the workstations in his old corner office should instead be in the corner office on the far side of the building. No idea why. That one has a huge conference table and bookshelves stuffed with crap, and it's shaped and sized quite differently from the CEO's old office.

This has been months in the planning, and the CEO was part of those plans. That it's come down to him throwing a fit and making Bill dance is a common occurrence here. I'm going to stay away from that area until the dust settles lest I get drawn.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

carry on then posted:

Here it is. It's just writing the date.

Can't believe we're writing code like this in TYOOL 19117

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go down the rabbbit hole far enough and everything is a long list of if statements and populating arrays with hardcoded values.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Can't believe we're writing code like this in TYOOL 19117

Seriously, everyone learned this in elementary school: November, December, null, January, February

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It needs to have "hello world" in there somewhere. :colbert:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Dick Trauma posted:

No, "Don't forget, you're here forever".

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dick Trauma posted:

Nope. It does have the definition of globalism though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

printer stuff is pissing me off today. One of our 2 terminal servers decided no one NEW (though I'm not sure if people already connected can use because there's very few people that use these and they are hard to get in touch with) could connect to a few specific printers anymore, works fine from the other terminal server and it looks fine on the print server itself. I figured maybe the driver is hosed up, removed it, attempt to re-add it and get "Element not found" I've been banging my head against this for the past 2 hours and it's driving me up the wall. gently caress printers and everything related to them.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 28, 2017

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Don't forget to expense yourself a gaffgun before all the money's gone :v:

WTF??!!??!! That machine exists? I used to work in AV for a local large meeting hotel. I spent WAAAAY too much time on my knees taping down wires.

I want about 10 of those things!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

GPF posted:

WTF??!!??!! That machine exists? I used to work in AV for a local large meeting hotel. I spent WAAAAY too much time on my knees taping down wires.

I used to work refinishing gymnasium floors, part of that required re-painting the lines for the basketball court. We had a similar device that held two masking tape rolls.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GPF posted:

It was a kickstarter if I recall, about 3 years ago, so unless you worked in AV after 2014 you wouldn't have been able to get one.

I did in fact back the project, and finally got it a year or so ago. It works pretty drat well, although ironically it's annoying for short runs because it's so fast at actually taping down cables that the start and end procedures get annoying. (Basically I wish they'd built in a better way to cut the tape at the end).

You also have to buy their tape for it to work well - they do have a tape core you can put a standard roll of gaff on, but the roll tends to slide which doesn't maintain proper tension. That said, their prices for gaff aren't actually that bad, and their gaff has a non-sticky channel in the middle of the sticky side which theoretically lines up with the cables, so it doesn't stick to the cables. Which works pretty well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cheap gaff is the absolute worst poo poo to deal with - doesn't stick right, doesn't tear right, leaves glue all over the place. Le Mark is our go-to stuff.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Cheap gaff is the absolute worst poo poo to deal with - doesn't stick right, doesn't tear right, leaves glue all over the place. Le Mark is our go-to stuff.

Interesting, I'd never heard of these guys but then I come from the theater world - looks like Le Mark is focused on film, and also European. Looks like good stuff though.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Proteus Jones posted:

I have had eggs for dinner, because eggs are delicious.

In my house "breakfast for dinner" is the best dinner.

Be it eggs, toast and bacon or cereal and milk or French toast, breakfast for dinner is the treat that everyone can east.

But pesto pasta for breakfast? Or a hamburger? No way, champ.

Edit: unless the BBQ is still going from a party the night before and I haven't slept yet. Then a triple Costco-patty burger with extra cheese is the only way to go at five am.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cereal at night, poached egg on toast for dinner. What about it?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
My new supervisor loving loves tickets. You have to have a ticket for everything. So they open them, a lot.

Simple task. A ticket is opened.

Said simple task that requires me to contact the end user directly, who is away for a week. So my supervisor opens a second ticket to remind me about the first ticket.

Now at the end of the week user is still away, but previous two tickets are unresolved, so naturally they open a 3rd ticket to remind me about the first two tickets.

I get fed up, close the two reminder tickets with a comment that the end user will be back on Monday, and that nothing can be done before it.

They open a 4th ticket to remind me about the first ticket again.

:negative:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Time to have a sit down and explain how ticketing works.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Office 365 is pissing me off today.
I did an online repair, and it just uninstalled office.
This has happened on three computers so far in the past few days.

e: Also, user with 7 exchange accounts in outlook over 5 different o365 tenants. Because making daughter companies separate o365 tenants makes sense, right?

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 29, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Attestant posted:

My new supervisor loving loves tickets. You have to have a ticket for everything. So they open them, a lot.

Said simple task that requires me to contact the end user directly, who is away for a week. So my supervisor opens a second ticket to remind me about the first ticket.

Now at the end of the week user is still away, but previous two tickets are unresolved, so naturally they open a 3rd ticket to remind me about the first two tickets.

I get fed up, close the two reminder tickets with a comment that the end user will be back on Monday, and that nothing can be done before it.

Open a ticket about having too many tickets.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If at any point I am required to create tickets to account for all of my time, I will have thousands of tickets for managing emails, reading news and managing tickets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

If at any point I am required to create tickets to account for all of my time, I will have thousands of tickets for managing emails, reading news and managing tickets.

We had a period where we did this, upper levels wanted everything tracked, so we wrote a script to open a ticket every single time something went red in check_mk and auto resolved when it returned to green.

They changed their tune after a month.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Attestant posted:

Dump an ITIL book on their desk and explain Problems and Incidents to them. Or, if you're using something like Zendesk, start merging his new tickets into the original so they're both closed and become comments in the original ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody got VMs/virtual networks in the North Europe Azure zone?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody got VMs/virtual networks in the North Europe Azure zone?

One of our SaaS providers does

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah VMs in that region have poo poo themselves. Took MS an hour to update it on their dashboard though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Explains why their service is slow as balls this morning.

Good thing it didn't happen earlier in the month

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

quote:

If i put the ticket in today, is there any way that the purchases would be able to be charged to a grant that I have that ends tomorrow?

Look into your heart, you will find the answer there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is the user capable of distorting the fabric of space-time?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You ever had a day that was so suspiciously quiet that you had to send yourself a test email to make sure your inbox isn't broken?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We have an active conficker infection in our network... in TYOOL 2017.

And this is after the huge huge push to tighten security following the Wannacry stuff.

I'm going on vacation starting today and I fobbed off any the server disinfection to my coworker who got a schmancy new title. Have fun guys :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Polio Vax Scene posted:

You ever had a day that was so suspiciously quiet that you had to send yourself a test email to make sure your inbox isn't broken?
I have entire days which are double and triple booked with meetings, yet today after my morning standup, I have a single meeting for the rest of the day. This is weiiiiird.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man it is next to impossible to whitelist scripts in Cylance, ugh. And the security guy who set it all up is on vacation.

Thank God I have access to the portal so I can remove protection from his device but there has got to be a better way to whitelist in this godsforsaken portal. Even WebRoot had more options than this.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How are you guys having a relaxed day? It's end of the month (and quarter!) Everyone is trying to hit deadlines and freaking out. I'm sorry that you can't use %software% we are out of licences, we normally have 10 free at any given moment other than the end of the month.

No I cannot boot someone, all sessions have been active in the last 15 minutes, if any go above an hour I will free up the session.

Of course that's not what's actually eating up my time, though answering the phone and loving pages about it while I'm trying to get to issues that haven't been reported is what is driving me insane. It's really hard to figure out why a report is giving wrong information when you need to tell people that no you can't use software gently caress you that's why we do this every month!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Remember when my therapist said her claim was rejected by my health insurance and threatened to send the bill to collection?

This morning I received an alert from my health insurance that the claim has been paid. She hadn't even submitted it until a couple of days after that conversation. What a turkey!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SEKCobra posted:

My last MSP job did the his a couple months before I quit - new head of IT came in and wanted a ticket or every single incident. Didn't matter that we were understaffed and being told to help other areas out, a ticket was required for every incident or request. Have a ticket asking for 3 software package installs? Has to be split into 3 tickets to "adequately track how busy we are" so they could justify whether or not more techs should be hired. When I left there were a lot of angry clients, several dozen backlogged tickets, and even our help desk was so frustrated that people were on the verge of walking out. Hope that place goes out of businesses because that was one of many management problems, that plus techs getting thrown under the bus for poo poo management decisions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

How are you guys having a relaxed day? It's end of the month (and quarter!) Everyone is trying to hit deadlines and freaking out. I'm sorry that you can't use %software% we are out of licences, we normally have 10 free at any given moment other than the end of the month.

No I cannot boot someone, all sessions have been active in the last 15 minutes, if any go above an hour I will free up the session.

Of course that's not what's actually eating up my time, though answering the phone and loving pages about it while I'm trying to get to issues that haven't been reported is what is driving me insane. It's really hard to figure out why a report is giving wrong information when you need to tell people that no you can't use software gently caress you that's why we do this every month!

I'm pretty relaxed. But HCM project is supposed to go live in a week and other people are freaking out.

I couldn't even help if I wanted to, it's HR and payroll that are behind.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My boss wants to create individual security groups for departmental folders , named based on the folders, and then add individual to it instead of adding individuals to security groups and then applying those groups to folders. I get there are multiple ways to do this and its going to depend on your org which you prefer, but having so much specialized access is needed that this constant security group creation is getting silly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

My boss wants to create individual security groups for departmental folders , named based on the folders, and then add individual to it instead of adding individuals to security groups and then applying those groups to folders. I get there are multiple ways to do this and its going to depend on your org which you prefer, but having so much specialized access is needed that this constant security group creation is getting silly.

Sounds like a perfect way to do job security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

They're mad for drive letters here. Instead of shortcuts to network share folders every goddamn "special" folder has to get a drive letter assigned to it, even if it's in the goddamn root.