Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm glad Nighteye is dead because clairvoyance is the shittiest power, especially after getting confirmation that it's impossible to actually alter the events foreseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Countblanc posted:

I'm glad Nighteye is dead because clairvoyance is the shittiest power, especially after getting confirmation that it's impossible to actually alter the events foreseen.

Well, you can't really prove a negative, and all we know is that he hasn't been able to alter the foreseen events so far, so I'm holding out hope that he's OK.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

"I'm going to prove to nighteye that I'm a worthy successor to all might!"

*nighteye immediately dies*

"oh, well, nevermind then"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
At the beginning of his internship, didn't Isuzu's narration mention his "lengthy internship" with Sir Nighteye?

Fake edit: Yes, in Chapter 128. Though he doesn't actually say with Sir Nighteye specifically. So. Still up in the air.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Looking forward to Deku's long internship with Centipeder.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Overhaul is such a lovely villain and it's a shame that he's taken so long to go away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This entire arc's been kinda lovely. I can see Nighteye surviving but being benched for his injuries.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't think the arc's been that lovely.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's better than a third arc being motivated by bakugo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like this arc. I just think it could've been handled better. I imagine this is it for overhaul but I'll reserve judgment until it's over.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Thinking about it Mirio is actually really really lucky his power has an auto rebound because the alternative is terrifying
I forgot about how many of Terry's rogue's gallery just loving die hideously.

Batman Beyond needs to be brought back, edge and all and with Timm's insanely loving stupid twist from the Justice League series completely removed from existence.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That twist has been incorporated into the comics now. There's no turning back from it now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a popular suggestion for a hypothetical next Arkham game to go into Batman Beyond, and I think that'd be pretty cool.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I like this arc. I just think it could've been handled better. I imagine this is it for overhaul but I'll reserve judgment until it's over.

Batman Beyond needs to be brought back, edge and all and with Timm's insanely loving stupid twist from the Justice League series completely removed from existence.

What was the stupid twist? I don't remember Justice League or Batman Beyond very well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZiegeDame posted:

Looking forward to Deku's long internship with Centipeder.
After Shigaraki shows up to murder Chisaki, Deku apprentices himself to him because everyone is grateful Overhaul's dead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

sirtommygunn posted:

What was the stupid twist? I don't remember Justice League or Batman Beyond very well.

Terry is a test tube baby made with Bruce's DNA rather than just some kid Bruce found and made Batman.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

dogsicle posted:

it's better than a third arc being motivated by bakugo

Wait, what's the second one? I can only think of the Bakugou rescue arc.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Terry is a test tube baby made with Bruce's DNA rather than just some kid Bruce found and made Batman.

Not quite. Terry's dad was secretly poisoned so Terry and his little brother had Bruce's DNA.

It worked better in the original movie idea version where Catwoman had poisoned a whole bunch of people like that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

there is a batman beyond comic ongoing right now iirc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Batman Beyond twist is lovely for the same reason that midichlorians are. They completely miss the point of why those characters are interesting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

Wait, what's the second one? I can only think of the Bakugou rescue arc.

the villain attack on the training camp so they could capture him in the first place

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

The Batman Beyond twist is lovely for the same reason that midichlorians are. They completely miss the point of why those characters are interesting.

Except they point out this actually has little to do with how things ended up. It was pure coincidence that it did.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

dogsicle posted:

the villain attack on the training camp so they could capture him in the first place

Ah. I didn't really count that since it's only revealed halfway through and that wasn't their only goal. I can see you could count it, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsterEnvy posted:

Except they point out this actually has little to do with how things ended up. It was pure coincidence that it did.

It doesn't really change the fact that the story went from "anyone can be Batman" to "you must be this Bruce-ish to ride the Batmobile."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

either way "anyone can be batman" is totally false anyway because terry couldn't possibly have done it without bruce's money and equipment whether they were related or not

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The point was that it was Bruce's return to his Robin/Batgirl/etc Found Family. Sure, Damien's his son, but he's never the only Robin. Terry's thing was helping him find that again and open up to people at least a little, but secretly nope, never mind, it was Destiny the whole time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This entire arc's been kinda lovely. I can see Nighteye surviving but being benched for his injuries.

He's got a spike through the torso the size of a science fair volcano. I think he's done.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vengarr posted:

He's got a spike through the torso the size of a science fair volcano. I think he's done.

thats never stopped an anime character before

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

thats never stopped an anime character before

You sure cause I can't think of any character that has survived a similar thing. In a setting that is quasi realistic.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 1, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinjobi posted:

That twist has been incorporated into the comics now. There's no turning back from it now.
gently caress.

sirtommygunn posted:

Amanda Waller poisons Terry's dad with a virus or something that makes him have Bruce's DNA, so Terry is genetically related to Bruce. Waller thought the world was going to need a new Batman and wanted essentially a Bruce clone with similar experiences, and was going to have The Phantasm kill Terry's parents in front of him outside a theater.

The Phantasm gets cold feet about it and Waller decides to drop it. Terry meets Bruce as a teenager and becomes Batman anyway which makes this particular twist good for absolutely nothing besides being a really silly stupid comic-book thing that under undercuts the value of the whole experience.

Basically Terry is now like Naruto. Instead of being this self-made person completely unreleated to Bruce and also from a completely different background (Terry being a troubled, working-class kid with a family) who takes up the mantle...you can't really know which of his better qualities he inherited from Bruce and it's destiny or whatever. It sucks poo poo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like this arc overall, I just don't like how insanely powerful Chisaki is. We haven't gotten any backstory on him basically, so he's just this wunderkind who is good enough at science to make magic bullets out of child bits, good enough at fighting to effortlessly defeat people like Magne and Rappa, and has trained his quirk to the point that he can fight against pro-level heroes. I mean they even specified that Irinaka could only do what he did because he was on Trigger, Chisaki can do similar level poo poo just because.

I can accept Todoroki and Bakugou's insane power levels since they trained like hell since they were little for it. Without any real information on Chisaki and his weak motivations, his power feels unearned so his displays aren't impressive they're just annoying. His arc has moved and escalated too quickly so this climax lacks the weight it should have and any deaths are going to feel cheap because of Chisaki's lack of depth.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 1, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure cause I can't think of any character that has survived a similar thing. In a setting that is quasi realistic.

not as severe but that's the first thing that popped in my head

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kild posted:

not as severe but that's the first thing that popped in my head

And Yamcha getting Yamcha'd meant he was done, and needed a super magical bean of Cures Everything Ever.

It's still better than what someone else already posted before about how All Might not dying from losing some internal organs means everyone can do so too though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

And Yamcha getting Yamcha'd meant he was done, and needed a super magical bean of Cures Everything Ever.

It's still better than what someone else already posted before about how All Might not dying from losing some internal organs means everyone can do so too though.

This is a series that can also have that though and we already have 2 we know of between Chisaki and Recovery Girl.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like this arc overall, I just don't like how insanely powerful Chisaki is. We haven't gotten any backstory on him basically, so he's just this wunderkind who is good enough at science to make magic bullets out of child bits, good enough at fighting to effortlessly defeat people like Magne and Rappa, and has trained his quirk to the point that he can fight against pro-level heroes. I mean they even specified that Irinaka could only do what he did because he was on Trigger, Chisaki can do similar level poo poo just because.

I can accept Todoroki and Bakugou's insane power levels since trained like hell since they were little for it. Without any real information on Chisaki and his weak motivations, his power feels unearned so his displays aren't impressive they're just annoying. His arc has moved and escalated too quickly so this climax lacks the weight it should have and any deaths are going to feel cheap because of Chisaki's lack of depth.
Basically. This moved too fast plotwise (basically here's Overhaul and now we're raiding his hideout!) and didn't establish anything.

What I think would've helped:
1. Establish Overhaul's background and what the gently caress he's doing there with such a good quirk.

2. Give us more of a reason to hate him. He's an rear end in a top hat yeah but everything bad about him until the police kick his door down and he starts impaling heroes is us just being TOLD about the bad thing he's doing by the good guys who are literally just guessing at his plan. Him dusting Magne and some no-name mooks for messing up doesn't really cut it.

He's an arc villain. Show him being evil and doing something really heinous that makes us want him to be taken down BEFORE the heroes show up. Like, I was expecting a horrific Made In Abyss style scene where we SEE him "process" Eri for her blood and tissue. And make it terrible too- with a very clear note to the readers that every second Eri isn't freed this poo poo is happening to her rather than it being some vague thing the heroes are guessing about. It'd certainly make her relatively despondent state and her reaction to violence (where she just closes her eyes and grits her teeth to take it instead of screaming or crying like a child normally would) a lot more heartbreaking.

3. Have Overhaul and Shiggy actually do something as a joint operation before the hideout raid so Toga and Twice's disgust with him and the yakuza could have more development rather than just Toga and Twice bristling at having rules and being annoyed about Magne. It'd be interesting to see the two most notably mentally ill members of the alliance seeing profit-driven organized crime in motion and finding it disgusting.

4. If you're gonna do the raid make the pacing better and show us the 1-A students more frequently instead of chapter after chapter after chapter about two of the wunderkind new guys and totally ignoring the girls.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 1, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kild posted:

This is a series that can also have that though and we already have 2 we know of between Chisaki and Recovery Girl.

The former of which is the villain of this arc and just impaled Nighteye a billion times (so why would he heal him all fine and dandy?), and the latter explicitly cannot do that level of healing. She only speeds up natural healing. Which, uh, you don't just Get Better over time from being killed, sorry. If Recovery Girl could provide magical healing that fixes everything, Deku's hands wouldn't be straight up hosed and one use of AfO away from being completely permanently unusable.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

The former of which is the villain of this arc and just impaled Nighteye a billion times (so why would he heal him all fine and dandy?), and the latter explicitly cannot do that level of healing. She only speeds up natural healing. Which, uh, you don't just Get Better over time from being killed, sorry. If Recovery Girl could provide magical healing that fixes everything, Deku's hands wouldn't be straight up hosed and one use of AfO away from being completely permanently unusable.

He gets punched by Deku enough to feel regret, for some reason brainwash guy shows up, who knows its just examples of those people in the story and there's surely more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Recovery Girl is stated to only be able to speed up natural healing ability. And Chisaki is not going to fix Nighteye.

Also Yamcha getting Gero's arm through his chest is still not as bad as what happened to Nighteye. (Combined with the fact that Dragon Ball is not even Quasi Realistic.) The spike going through Nighteyes back to his chest is way bigger then Gero's arm. Combined with the fact Nighteyes left arm is now only attached what appears to be a single tendon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bleach was utterly rife with end of chapter stingers of people getting gigantic holes blown in them but Bleach sucked and the characters were magic ghost people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Bleach was utterly rife with end of chapter stingers of people getting gigantic holes blown in them but Bleach sucked and the characters were magic ghost people.

I think it was even outright stated that the ghost people were far more durable then normal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This conversation makes me glad that, if/when Shigaraki ices someone, they will be unquestionably dead and we can avoid having this discussion again.

(People are totally going to find a way to argue that someone who was disintegrated could still be alive, aren't they?)

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I can accept Todoroki and Bakugou's insane power levels since trained like hell since they were little for it. Without any real information on Chisaki and his weak motivations, his power feels unearned so his displays aren't impressive they're just annoying. His arc has moved and escalated too quickly so this climax lacks the weight it should have and any deaths are going to feel cheap because of Chisaki's lack of depth.

I mean, Bakugou and Todoroki are children. I can understand not liking Overhaul, but "I can accept high schoolers having ridiculous power because they trained, but the new villain, who is an adult and thus presumably has been doing things for much longer than the main characters, being very strong is unreasonable" seems like a silly argument to me.

Fabricated posted:

Amanda Waller poisons Terry's dad with a virus or something that makes him have Bruce's DNA, so Terry is genetically related to Bruce. Waller thought the world was going to need a new Batman and wanted essentially a Bruce clone with similar experiences, and was going to have The Phantasm kill Terry's parents in front of him outside a theater.

The Phantasm gets cold feet about it and Waller decides to drop it. Terry meets Bruce as a teenager and becomes Batman anyway which makes this particular twist good for absolutely nothing besides being a really silly stupid comic-book thing that under undercuts the value of the whole experience.

Basically Terry is now like Naruto. Instead of being this self-made person completely unreleated to Bruce and also from a completely different background (Terry being a troubled, working-class kid with a family) who takes up the mantle...you can't really know which of his better qualities he inherited from Bruce and it's destiny or whatever. It sucks poo poo.

Yeah, it's such a dumb twist. The other stuff from that episode, with Ace and whatnot, was good too,