Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Chi Chi pretty much force/trick Goku into marrying her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

wow this random alien named Apple is stronger than Garlic, King Pickle, AND Radish???? so dumb

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

tired of this power creep. Why are Nappa and Vegetable so much stronger than Radish when they're all the same species?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agoat posted:

Toriyama doesn't really romance good

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Chichi doesn't need to fly, she can already jump good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Angry Chi-Chi would beat comic loser Mr. Satan if it came to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is one huge, fundamental thing to remember with Mr. Satan

Dude's basically a gag manga character. Unless it'd be funny, he's not going to lose.

The problem is that it's often VERY funny when he loses, so instead his gag powers mostly just keep him from getting killed instantly.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

Agoat posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been implied that she's forced him to do much more than that, sadly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

tired of this power creep. Why are Nappa and Vegetable so much stronger than Radish when they're all the same species?

Very clever, noticing most of the characters' names are puns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Agoat posted:

Not really?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

Not really?

I am not even sure how she can force him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You need a pure heart to ride Kinto-un and Chi-Chi is a horrible human being so she's gotta go borrow Bulma's tiny watch to get a lift on it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

Not really?

Force? No. Trick? Kinda?

Goku literally had no idea what the concept of marriage even was and thought he was going for a meal or something, he only married her because he's good to his word and said he would. She basically did take advantage of a very simple man who doesn't even seem to possess the capacity for romantic love and who's defining childhood experience was traumatic brain injury.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean you have to know he doesn't know something to trick a person.

Once she realizes he has no idea want he promised she was gonna let it go but Goku went all in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goku doesn't even know how to kiss.

(Chi-Chi is not a sexual predator)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Goku is a punchtard and Chi Chi hooked up with a mentally disabled man before she had any idea what stupid poo poo she was signing up for

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Goku's relationship with Chichi is basically the same as Dr Slump's marriage, but it's in a serious setting instead of a gag manga so it gets weird

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Kelp Plankton posted:

Goku's relationship with Chichi is basically the same as Dr Slump's marriage, but it's in a serious setting instead of a gag manga so it gets weird

"Dragonball"

"Serious Setting"

....um,

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zoro posted:

"Dragonball"

"Serious Setting"

....um,

Dragon Ball is sometimes comedy and sometimes serious. The arc Goku is first married in ends with his arch enemy killing him with a laser through the heart and everyone crying about it.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I've heard that Dragonball wasn't pushed to be serious until Krillin died. Like they've got the Tien fight and he and Goku shake hands and it's all good until WHAM dead buddy already dressed in his funeral suit.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
More about the time Tao is introduced, if not the Red Ribbon Army themselves.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nah the RR army are clownish buffoons, it's all gag stuff at that point.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dragonball started silly but Goku's marriage exists mostly in Z, which is pretty serious overall

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Burkion posted:

That is one huge, fundamental thing to remember with Mr. Satan

Dude's basically a gag manga character. Unless it'd be funny, he's not going to lose.

The problem is that it's often VERY funny when he loses, so instead his gag powers mostly just keep him from getting killed instantly.
Gag manga characters are too powerful, they'll be next against the wall after we murder the gods!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Red Ribon arc was the start of things getting serious.

You had the first villain that Goku couldn't steam roll that was a deadly threat, in Tao, but it was surrounded by a bunch of silly stuff. Some of the Army was serious, like Black, some of it was ridiculous, Red himself.

The two tones came to a head in the end, quite literally when Black shoots Red in the face for wasting so many lives and resources on such a stupid, STUPID wish.

After that things keep veering to the more serious until Krillin dies

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It's a bit unfair to accuse her of tricking Goku. While the dub and Toei filler usually fail to represent it, Chichi is supposed to be socially inept too, she speaks as a hick as well and from a line she had in the Pilaf saga, all she knows about social norms was from reading magazines, remember the reason she thought she had to marry Goku in the first place was because he tapped her crotch to check if she was a boy or a girl.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something else that makes me feel really sorry for Chi-Chi is how she had no idea what she was getting into marrying someone with an appetite like Goku. Didn't Ox King used to have a literal mountain of loot? Something like that might've lasted for generations, yet it only took almost 20 years of Saiyan appetite to completely bankrupt them. (Also including Gohan and Goten here)

Given how the Budokai announcer reacted as if he hadn't seen them in ages during the Buu Saga, Goku never bothered participating in tournaments to earn them prize money. And Super shows Chi-Chi has a hard time getting Goku to focus on farming, so that wouldn't do wonders for their income either.

I feel like it adds a sense of desperation to how much she pushes Gohan to study and be a scholar with a high-paying job, really.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Goku's has to constantly use a huge chunk of ki to hold his punch-drunk, CTE neurons together.

ep 122: Release your cortical limits son Goku! Drunken Fist unveiled!?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no episode this week, right? then next is the hour long special?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

amigolupus posted:

Something else that makes me feel really sorry for Chi-Chi is how she had no idea what she was getting into marrying someone with an appetite like Goku. Didn't Ox King used to have a literal mountain of loot? Something like that might've lasted for generations, yet it only took almost 20 years of Saiyan appetite to completely bankrupt them. (Also including Gohan and Goten here)

Given how the Budokai announcer reacted as if he hadn't seen them in ages during the Buu Saga, Goku never bothered participating in tournaments to earn them prize money. And Super shows Chi-Chi has a hard time getting Goku to focus on farming, so that wouldn't do wonders for their income either.

I feel like it adds a sense of desperation to how much she pushes Gohan to study and be a scholar with a high-paying job, really.

Bulma

E: Satan too

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

amigolupus posted:

She probably has at least 75% of that money saved up for Gohan and Goten going to college, lets be real.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

why is it dumb? dragon ball was more about technique than overpowering people with lasers and having glowing auras and poo poo. hercule would have fit pretty well there, especially early on when there were barely any ki attacks anyway

Nah, Mr. Satan would've been weak even in early Dragon Ball. As others have said, i doubt he was as strong as Ox King or even Yamcha when we first meet him. He would be considered strong compared to most Tenkaichi Budokai contestants but not Nam, Panput, King Chappa, Bora, General Blue, etc. If Goku fought him at the very beginning of the series, goku would probably be like "wow you're strong, now I'm going to get serious!" and then promptly punch Mr. Satan into the sky. And he definitely would've been left behind by the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai when pretty much everyone has ki attacks, can jump super high, and so on.

And even if you wanna say that techniques mattered more than sheer power in Dragon Ball, its not like raw power never played a part once we get to King Piccolo, who was clearly built up to be this apocalypse-enducing badguy that could single-handedly take out entire districts with his own power. The King Piccolo arc was where things like powering up, big ki attacks, etc. became the norm. And in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, Piccolo reduced the entire city into a desert.

Now obviously this is all due to taste and people have different feelings about this, but I dont like how Appule and other random rear end mooks are apparently stronger than all of that. It doesnt really matter and I guess it fits the shonen idea of everyone getting stronger and facing stronger enemies so eventually all enemies end up becoming weaklings as the heroes get stronger, but I just think its a little extreme. I dont see why even the rank-and-file Freeza guys can't be at, like, General Blue's level. Its not like it wouldve mattered since Krillin and co. were beyond them by this point anyway.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Didn't Ox King used to have a literal mountain of loot?

Master Roshi blow it all together with the castle and the mountain...

Edit:

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 1, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing with Hercule

Dude is a really strong normal human, but he's never been as strong as Goku was as a child. Even if you wanted to make the argument that he might be before he met Roshi, after being trained by Roshi Goku and Krillin are literally super human.

They didn't KNOW what Ki was, but they were using it all the same. Hercule is best compared to people like King Choppa and that famous actor Goku fights. Nothing against them, they ARE legit talented, Goku and friends are just on a whole other level.

Hercule could have gotten the right training at an early age to become superhuman, like Krillin, but he never did and really never wanted to.

He kinda did want to but Tao Pai Pai hosed up his master.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No super this week :(

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Calibanibal posted:

wow this random alien named Apple is stronger than Garlic, King Pickle, AND Radish???? so dumb

Calibanibal posted:

LOL look at this dork. Cant even get the names right. "King Pickle"? Dumb.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

bowmore posted:

No super this week :(
That's super sad news. :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Yesh posted:

Goku's has to constantly use a huge chunk of ki to hold his punch-drunk, CTE neurons together.

ep 122: Release your cortical limits son Goku! Drunken Fist unveiled!?

Jackie Chun used drunken fist against Goku, so it's not like he hasn't been exposed to it before.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Jackie Chun used drunken fist against Goku, so it's not like he hasn't been exposed to it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1qvRygA1zc

Goku used Crazy Monkey fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bringing this up since I just watched Vegeta VS Frost in the dub

I don't think Frost was even as powerful as base form Freeza was in RoF. I really don't.

Dude is just straight up not very strong. The only weird thing is Piccolo having issues with him, but really, Piccolo I think was stronger than Frost. Goku seriously overestimated him.

Goku or Vegeta could have beaten Frost in base form with some difficulty, and Vegeta one shots the guy while holding back and pulling his punch as just a SSJ.

And it makes sense.

Frost's whole deal is that he's a sneaky snake, clever and cunning.

Freeza was many things. Sneaky, Clever OR cunning are not his bag. Frost really isn't just Freeza But Pretends to Be Good. He's a whole different kind of villain, one who is by his very nature much weaker than Freeza.

Freeza was raw power personified, and he ruled as such. Frost got by on his wits and intelligence because he REALLY isn't that strong.

It also makes sense because of course Goku was loving around with Frost. Vegeta didn't, and the fight lasted exactly as long as it should have.