Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The arc kinda feels like Dressrosa from One Piece. It has some good ideas and set up, but suffers from a combination of poor pacing and cramming a ton of new characters in that suddenly get a bunch of focus. The bright side is that if that arc is any indication the next one is going to be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dressrosa was two loving years with just as much payoff (God Usopp becoming the fourth haki user, Zoro actually trying) as this arc's had (Mirio just smiling after getting shot, Kirishima, Mirio in general, PHANTOM MENACE, Suneater Rising) and this has only been like four months just including the point where Deku starts interning. Oh wait, that's more than OP...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Last Celebration posted:

Dressrosa was two loving years with just as much payoff (God Usopp becoming the fourth haki user, Zoro actually trying) as this arc's had (Mirio just smiling after getting shot, Kirishima, Mirio in general, PHANTOM MENACE, Suneater Rising) and this has only been like four months just including the point where Deku starts interning. Oh wait, that's more than OP...

You forgot Gear 4, the Straw Hat armada (especially the shield guy), and Senor Pink vs Franky. Maybe more.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
yeah, this arc is still better.

And i read the whole dressrosa arc in real time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro still hasn't tried in the New World, he hit Pika with the classic "you're a frog in a well" which isn't trying it's the manga equivalent of "u lil baby wathc this"

e: This arc is pretty good but it's definitely had some slow weeks and I'm hoping for a strong finish.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
everything mirio on has been really good. im really sad he's lost his quirk. nighteye is dead as hell.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I want Mirio to become the quirkless superhero Deku was originally supposed to be.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You mean the thing Horikoshi changed before the series started.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

You mean the thing Horikoshi changed before the series started.

Yeah that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Zoro still hasn't tried in the New World, he hit Pika with the classic "you're a frog in a well" which isn't trying it's the manga equivalent of "u lil baby wathc this"

e: This arc is pretty good but it's definitely had some slow weeks and I'm hoping for a strong finish.

I mean, he used visible armament haki, he completely clowned Pica doing it, but he actually had to gather his not-ki first.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've never really gotten the insistence someone people have that Deku should have been quirkless. Not only would it result in them jettisoning a good portion of the entire plot considering One For All is gone, but it'd be an albatross that would require them having to constantly write around to have Deku not being murdered by people with superpowers. On top of that, people constantly frame it in terms of a disability narrative, because Deku not having powers is analogous to being "disabled" in the show's society and they think that giving him a Quirk means he's been fixed. Speaking as someone with something that's commonly considered a developmental disorder, this has always felt extremely patronizing, and I'm not really eager for more narratives where the "normal" people are now the ones marginalized.

The only reason why I can think of why it's so prolific is that they want Deku to be even more of a character they can project on to; he's not just a fanboy getting to hang with people with cool powers, he's also a normal person just like you!!! who's totally showing the people who rely on superpowers how it's done.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I think the answer is: batman is awesome.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've never really gotten the insistence someone people have that Deku should have been quirkless. Not only would it result in them jettisoning a good portion of the entire plot considering One For All is gone, but it'd be an albatross that would require them having to constantly write around to have Deku not being murdered by people with superpowers. On top of that, people constantly frame it in terms of a disability narrative, because Deku not having powers is analogous to being "disabled" in the show's society and they think that giving him a Quirk means he's been fixed. Speaking as someone with something that's commonly considered a developmental disorder, this has always felt extremely patronizing, and I'm not really eager for more narratives where the "normal" people are now the ones marginalized.

The only reason why I can think of why it's so prolific is that they want Deku to be even more of a character they can project on to; he's not just a fanboy getting to hang with people with cool powers, he's also a normal person just like you!!! who's totally showing the people who rely on superpowers how it's done.

I didn't read Naruto for very long, but I remember this working pretty well with Rock Lee. He couldn't do nijutsu, but he trained his body so heavily that a lot of people just couldn't keep up with him physically. He was pretty interesting in what little I saw of him, and I think he could've worked as a protagonist for his own thing up to a point. I think it'd be kind of hard to keep up a shonen manga where the protagonist never learns any cool new magic tricks, though, even if they do get physically stronger.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rock Lee was important all of twice, and even then, he still had what basically amounted to super powers that just worked differently from everyone else's.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Having infinite money and being super smart are superpowers

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Batman is exactly as unrealistic as Superman, yeah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

In practice there are a bunch of pro heroes that mostly use their quirks in a support capacity, Gunhead for instance only uses his quirk for warning shots and manages just fine with CQC. I'm perfectly fine with what we got what between Deku's issues mastering or even becoming adequate with OFA and his relationship with All Might, but Deku using his super nerd skills to make anti-quirk weapons for all situations would have been a neat what-if. And, you know, not have worried Dekumom half to death.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Batman is the worst thing to happen to comics and Bob Kane should have been hit by a bus

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That would have absolutely worried her to death. Now he's facing these people that can burn him, fry him, and eviscerate him with a squishy human body.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

I want Mirio to become the quirkless superhero Deku was originally supposed to be.

You've already got Knuckleduster, what more do you need?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

You've already got Knuckleduster, what more do you need?

Knuckleduster isn't a hero. :colbert:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

You take that back.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Look into your heart and then ask yourself if Knuckleduster is a hero or not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Knuckleduster is the greatest hero of all but he isn't showing up in MHA.

I'm not saying Deku should have been quirkless. I'm saying that the original idea for that template which was scrapped early should be used on Mirio now that he is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I hadn't really considered the possibility of Vault Boy being the MHA Batman, especially since they actually just showed Nighteye teaching him how to predict people's movements without using a quirk.

Plus, tricking him out with tech to make up for it would give us an excuse for Mei to come center stage again. :3:

Edit: I do hope there's some kind of serious consequences for using 20% OFA, otherwise Deku's power just more than doubled with nothing more than a "
Recovery Girl lecture and a few days of bed rest" slap on the wrist until he gets used to it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 2, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, I hadn't really considered the possibility of Vault Boy being the MHA Batman, especially since they actually just showed Nighteye teaching him how to predict people's movements without using a quirk.

Plus, tricking him out with tech to make up for it would give us an excuse for Mei to come center stage again. :3:

Edit: I do hope there's some kind of serious consequences for using 20% OFA, otherwise Deku's power just more than doubled with nothing more than a "
Recovery Girl lecture and a few days of bed rest" slap on the wrist until he gets used to it.

Why does there need to be a consequence? He's trained, he's improved, he doesn't need to break his bones every loving time he steps up in terms of power.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Batman is exactly as unrealistic as Superman, yeah.

Name 1 (one) person who is ungodly rich, not evil and could kick someone's rear end.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

The whole point is that while this will injure himself, it's not debilitating. Eraserhead explicitly told Deku not to do anything that cause himself to be unable to move.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Name 1 (one) person who is ungodly rich, not evil and could kick someone's rear end.

Also half of his gear is basically magic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Radish posted:

Also half of his gear is basically magic.

You mean you don't carry a can of Carousel Reversal Spray with you at all times?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why does there need to be a consequence? He's trained, he's improved, he doesn't need to break his bones every loving time he steps up in terms of power.
I'd just expect a permanent upgrade to be a bit more incremental. 15% or so. The difference is mostly academic, admittedly, this is just be grousing about bullshit.

Fake Edit: Man, Bakugo is gonna be pissed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd just expect a permanent upgrade to be a bit more incremental. 15% or so. The difference is mostly academic, admittedly, this is just be grousing about bullshit.

Fake Edit: Man, Bakugo is gonna be pissed.

This manga isn't going to go on forever and he needs to hit 100% sometime, it's 3 years in already

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it could just be a kaioken power up where it still fucks him up to go this far, just not to the point where his bones evaporate like when he went all out

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:( Ganbatte

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I don't follow this closely enough to know what's going on with him, but I hope that he is OK.:(

I mean, he even says he can hear his bones creaking under the stress, so obviously there's something more to what he's doing. But the full cowling is getting his entire body used to using the power instead of just on limb at a time, so it's probably easier for him to reach a bit further than usual in extreme circumstance. I think kaioken is a pretty good analogy, since Goku would still be wiped out after using it, and could only do so for a limited amount of time. But pushing that far, and even beyond, consistently enough is what got him to super saiyan levels, so being able to go 20% briefly is a big step on the way to controlling 100% completely.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's been overseeing stuff in the anime as well, and couple that with the normally insane mangaka stress as well an incredible surge of popularity throughout the world adding even further expecations, it's no wonder he's been running his OfA on 100% for an extended period of time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi just has a really hosed process for writing/drawing the manga which contributes to his stress. He has a really long writing process and then storyboards and draws the whole loving chapter in a day or so.

Most manga artists do the exact opposite and STILL have trouble making deadlines.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Horikoshi will have no reprieve until oda's heart literally loving explodes at his desk and jump has a direct blow to their bottom line because of their standards.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'd rather his heart explode while he's sitting on his sweet fricken' shitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know what to say if you think any manga artist dying while working will be a major shock for the industry instead of getting romanticized