Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Burkion posted:

That doesn't even make sense. Gohan was never a twig.

Even when he wasn't super roids ala the Cell Games, he was just kind of chunky kid sized.

They're like gangly teenagers

They do look a bit more like teenage Future Trunks than Roided up Gohan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I thought it was his Max Power Kamehameha that almost killed him, the Mabufa on NotNaruto didn't seem to bug him much.

dude Krillin was literally in the stands screaming "NOT AGAIN YOU OLD FOOL YOU'LL DIE"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

dude Krillin was literally in the stands screaming "NOT AGAIN YOU OLD FOOL YOU'LL DIE"

Yeah but that was after he way overtaxed himself in general and almost died once anyway. It's less Mafuba Kills You and more Using Up All Your Energy Kills You.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but that was after he way overtaxed himself in general and almost died once anyway. It's less Mafuba Kills You and more Using Up All Your Energy Kills You.

Pretty much. Tien spammed it like a dozen times in the manga trying to learn it and didn't die, and in the anime actually used it successfully and didn't die. So did Kami/Piccolo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the main thing

Roshi, before he trained himself back into peak physical strength, had terrible energy conservation. He could only stay in his max power form for a very limited amount of time, it was pretty much only good for Kamehameha. That's why he didn't fight like that against Goku or Tien in the tournaments, despite it being more powerful than they were at the time.

So when he used mafuba, he threw everything into it and used up all of his energy because that's just what he thought it was supposed to do. Tien is the one to realize, oh yeah, you don't have to literally kill yourself with it, because he's the king of suicide techniques.

Roshi's Master who died using the technique set a bad precedent for Roshi himself, and I don't think Roshi ever realized that he was WAY stronger than his Master now.

The Mafuba can kill you, and so can the Tri Beam. You just have to be stupid using it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
With the way the power creep in this show works how even strong is Roshi at this point

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I imagine Tien meeting up with Chiaotzu after the Saiyan fight and trying to give him some pointers. "Hey, um... Good effort out there. Nice hustle. ....Maybe don't kill yourself with a nothing attack next time?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

g0lbez posted:

With the way the power creep in this show works how even strong is Roshi at this point

I mean Roshi was strong enough to blow up the loving moon in Dragoball. Even if he's at the bottom end of the power spectrum these days he still can destroy a giant celestial orbiting body with a single energy blast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

We have zero loving idea.

At this point it'd be easy to say he's stronger than Krillin and Tien, except he's the only one of the three that didn't get cheated out of the tournament. Both the other humans got cheap shotted without going all out.

So who knows

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DBZ exponential power level growth is dead, rejoice!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

DBZ exponential power level growth is dead, rejoice!

This is but a lull the power growth in Dragon ball trends toward infinity.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Let's not forget we're five days from Goku going even further beyond again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For me it's exciting every week to see how the writers can possibly challenge a being who can potentially destroy the universe if his fist hits a gods fist hard enough.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I imagine Tien meeting up with Chiaotzu after the Saiyan fight and trying to give him some pointers. "Hey, um... Good effort out there. Nice hustle. ....Maybe don't kill yourself with a nothing attack next time?"

Tien doesn't have much room to talk considering how he died in that fight.

It occurred to me the other day that, aside from the city he blew up, the only person Nappa actually killed was Piccolo.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Nappa only existed to show how strong Vegeta was

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a cartoon duck posted:

Let's not forget we're five days from Goku going even further beyond again.

I hope Beerus takes one look at that new form and basically declares that the other universes were right, actually, and Goku is definitely a monster.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's less that U7 Saiyans are twigs, and more that all male characters designed before Toriyama learned how to draw men who aren't muscle monsters are crazy slabs of beef.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's less that U7 Saiyans are twigs, and more that all male characters designed before Toriyama learned how to draw men who aren't muscle monsters are crazy slabs of beef.

dragon ball came before super tho?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought Piccolo blew up the moon?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

roshi blew up the moon, kami (?) brought it back, piccolo blew it up again

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Roshi: I play lighting flash hands

Kid Goku: I play full moon and transform into an ozzaru

Roshi: Ha, simple then: I ATTACK THE MOON!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The moon has taken a lot of punishment in the DB universe.

...Did they ever bring it back after Piccolo blew it up?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Manatee Cannon posted:

roshi blew up the moon, kami (?) brought it back, piccolo blew it up again

...Wait, did they ever bring it back again after the Vegeta Saga? Saiyans with tails pretty much went away at that point. And everytime the Dragonballs resurfaced they had to absolutely use it for something else.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope Beerus takes one look at that new form and basically declares that the other universes were right, actually, and Goku is definitely a monster.

If he had the common sense of someone not in a shounen anime, he'd hakai Goku as soon as the tournament ends and the Zenos turn their backs.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://i.imgur.com/Pp9gWOk.mp4

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

If he had the common sense of someone not in a shounen anime, he'd hakai Goku as soon as the tournament ends and the Zenos turn their backs.

Thatd be horrible for him because the last thing Beerus wants to do is upset the dude who can erase him instantly

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

:swoon:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

a cartoon duck posted:

Has Zamasu ever done a black kamehameha in the show anyway.

No but he did have the black power ball

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Good Lord. I realized I hadn't watched the movie version of the Beerus Saga or whatever it's called these days. That ending sequence of their battle is one bit of foreshadowing after the next...

Edit: Battle of Gods, that's what'sitjizert.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPwVuC3YOrc&t=928s

The Tien rant guy made another vid, I have chosen to inflict it upon you

ehhhhh, he's not really wrong, to be honest. I've felt the same way about dbz. Like we never see the characters do anything different to show off their new levels of power. They've always been able to blow up mountains (or moons) and create big-rear end craters, they've always made the entire planet shake whenever they power up, they've always flown at jet speed, they've always moved so fast that they're basically teleporting around each other. It's just that some characters arbitrarily can't hurt others with their attacks.

But the narrator is a bit harsh of Toriyama. Toriyama was just writing a gag manga at the beginning, he wasn't trying to seriously "worldbuild" or any of that poo poo. He just figured "Well, Master Roshi is really strong, I'll have him show his power by blowing up Mt. Frypan with his energy attack and everyone will be like 'Whoa!'", and that was it. But later as the manga got more serious and became about fighting, it was necessary to introduce stronger and stronger dudes even though we had already started with a dude that could blow up the moon.

If you were to do Dragon Ball over again, like if someone was going to "reboot" Dragon Ball or some poo poo, then yeah obviously you fix that poo poo ahead of time because now you know where the series is going and have the benefit of hindsight. So maybe in early Dragon Ball, the characters are like Street Fighter characters: they got ki techniques but they aren't one-man armaggeddons. And then maybe by early DBZ, they're kinda like X-Men level: they can shoot beams that could level a building and they can fly but aint nobody is blowing up the whole earth or moving at the speed of light. And then in late, post-Super Saiyan DBZ, THEN you've got the ki beams that can level mountains and actually threaten the integrity of the planet itself. Like maybe have Freeza be the first guy who can actually blow up the planet, but even then he can't do it "casually", he has to hit it in its "weak spot" and let the chain reaction do the rest. Then by the time we get to Beerus, now we've got Gods of Destruction who can do it with their pinky in an instant. And manipulate time itself.

Just farting out some ideas. But point is the guy is right but its not really Toriyama's fault. Dragon Ball was always light hearted and non serious, never intended to be a serious exercise in Shonen "worldbuilding".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'M YELLING :five:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

holy gently caress :eyepop:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Watching the NEP for the special and drat, Goku gets rocked. Kaioken blue hits Jiren straight in the face and Jiren doesn't even flinch, instead just grabbing Goku and throwing him around. Dude has an obscene level of power, and I don't think Limit Break is going to do poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

g0lbez posted:

Nappa only existed to show how strong Vegeta was

Nappa existed to terrify and delight us.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Watching the NEP for the special and drat, Goku gets rocked. Kaioken blue hits Jiren straight in the face and Jiren doesn't even flinch, instead just grabbing Goku and throwing him around. Dude has an obscene level of power, and I don't think Limit Break is going to do poo poo.

I'm glad that the writers seem to be making jiren live up to all his hype.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

the second I found out he's apparently voiced by a Jotaro VA, and he did his whole "KIERO" thing, I knew Goku was maaaaaaaybe hosed for once

Like what does Goku do when he is the Freiza for once

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really want to know if the one hour special is actually an hour long, or forty-five minutes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

I really want to know if the one hour special is actually an hour long, or forty-five minutes.

It's just two episodes as far as I am aware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, football has really changed.