Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sometimes you just wanna make your readers laugh with some absurdity, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Because it was hilarious and the best part of the book by far.

cptn_dr posted:

Sometimes you just wanna make your readers laugh with some absurdity, y'know?

Or alternate take:
To show how clownshoes retarded the Letheri empire/the Letheri continent was when the best mind in Lether, who was running mental circles around everybody, was eating garbage stew, and hiding out from everyone on a rooftop bed. You knew the inevitable Malazan incursion into Letheri was going to crush the ever-living gently caress out of all the retards, and were actively looking forward to the ownage descriptions, like how David Weber fans look forward to spaceship battle damage descriptions.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ZombieLenin posted:

Your lungs, yes... all the air would immediately be forced out of them; however, your ribs? The expulsion of air from your lungs might, I suppose, cause some ribs to break. After all you can break ribs be coughing. I'm not sure this would rise to level of "crushed."

Like I said, the pressure itself would do no damage to your body.

But you might be onto something here... for me to be correct the pressurized medium has to be water. Nothing else (it has to do with the properties and "compressability" of water by water.)

In order to crush the air from your lungs, the water would need to compress your chest. We may be 75% water, but the volume we take up is significant and a lot of that is air. You breath by your diaphragm moving down and creating a vacuum in your chest that causes the outside air pressure to push air into the lungs. (There is no "sucking" in physics, as they say).

So, if you were immediately transported to the bottom of the ocean, the water would compress the air in your lungs via forcing your chest to compress. At some point the pressure would overcome the ability of your epiglottis to stay shut forcing the air out. You're not going to have water rushing in at the same time the air is forced out either. Once there's an escape for the air, the water will continue crushing until there no pockets of air/vacuum left. Considering how much space your lungs take up and things such as your stomach and intestines that have open space, there's a lot of space to compress. As long as your skin holds together, it would likely crush your ribs or potentially push your abs and all that up into your chest. Your neck would probably be crushed as well. I could even see your chest simply exploding if the water rushed into your mouth preventing air escape and simply compressing it in your lungs until the soft tissue was overwhelmed.

Putting some thought into this, I'm now really intrigued.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

latinotwink1997 posted:

In order to crush the air from your lungs, the water would need to compress your chest. We may be 75% water, but the volume we take up is significant and a lot of that is air. You breath by your diaphragm moving down and creating a vacuum in your chest that causes the outside air pressure to push air into the lungs. (There is no "sucking" in physics, as they say).

So, if you were immediately transported to the bottom of the ocean, the water would compress the air in your lungs via forcing your chest to compress. At some point the pressure would overcome the ability of your epiglottis to stay shut forcing the air out. You're not going to have water rushing in at the same time the air is forced out either. Once there's an escape for the air, the water will continue crushing until there no pockets of air/vacuum left. Considering how much space your lungs take up and things such as your stomach and intestines that have open space, there's a lot of space to compress. As long as your skin holds together, it would likely crush your ribs or potentially push your abs and all that up into your chest. Your neck would probably be crushed as well. I could even see your chest simply exploding if the water rushed into your mouth preventing air escape and simply compressing it in your lungs until the soft tissue was overwhelmed.

Putting some thought into this, I'm now really intrigued.

Most of the conversations I've had about this involve slow transition. For example, what would you expect a human victim of Titanic to have looked like at 12,500 feet.

The answer is--no different than a body at 100 feet. In fact, humans routinely (well maybe not routinely) free dive to depths near a thousand feet. Three people have actually rode the outside a submarine for a depth of around 2,500 feet. Because of the dive reflex, with training and some genetics deep diving can be survivable.

By the way 1000 feet of ocean water is the equivalent 459 PSI and 2500 feet is 1125 PSI.

Now the real issue is sudden transportation to the bottom of the ocean. I think it's fair enough to say, your lungs would collapse, your sinus might collapse, and yes you do have air in your intestines too.

The question is, would this leave visible damage to your body? It's hard to say. As someone who once had a collapsed lung--twice actually once from an accident and once because of illness--anecdotally I would tell you this: you would be surprised how little force is actually necessary to collapse a long.

Granted, I never dealt with a environmental PSI of 14k, but there was less visible outside damage when a forceful impact of with the ground caused a collapsed lung versus the slow build up of fluids. In fairness though, the exterior damage from the collapsed lung caused by pneumonia, the scars of which I still bear, was caused by the intervention to release the pressure.

The collapse of the sinus I think is the most likely to cause extreme disfigurement of a human body, but even then I expect the water to enter and air to exit through the path of least resistance--the nose.

Gases in your stomach or intestines I think are the smallest concern for external damage. The abdomen of a human is designed to be squishy and the gases again have an easy exit.

This is really true of the lungs as well.

Based on my incredible expertise born of discussing diving at depth with people (yeah that's it) I suspect that the visible damage of being teleported to depth would be minimal all the way around. You're totally correct about all of the things that would be "crushed," but they are all internal things with a pretty easy path for the gases to take that leads to equalization.

My guess is the internal damage would be severe, and you'd die almost instantly (from massive internal blood loss). So an autopsy would immediately betray a cause of death--if you could get over the idea of how someone might be magically transported to the bottom of the ocean.

If, on the other hand, someone was slowly dragged to the bottom (saw with weights) I doubt there would be any external sign at all as the equalization would be gradual.

However, even if there was some external damage to the body in the case of magic transportation, I really doubt it would be enough that you could just look at a two week old rotting corpse and come to the quick determination that the person died as a result of suddenly finding themselves under two miles of water.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 13, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What if that's the point? What if it's a different Tiste Edur body?

I'm wiggling my fingers and humming the twilight zone .

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Ok I caved in and resumed reading Fall of Light. I don't wanna end this book, don't wanna finish it and then have nothing else to read related to Malazan :(

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I loving swear I've read a lot of these books twice and I'm still confused as poo poo sometimes.

For example, I just started reading Midnight Tides again, and I started to wonder...

The Tiste Andii and the Tiste Edur are described in a way that they are functionally the same species in the first few books; however, the Tiste Andii are described as basically biologically immortal. Yet the Edur, at least when you get to Midnight Tides, are very clearly not all thousands of years old and biologically immortal.

Furthermore, when you're first introduced to the Edur they are described as a race none but historians know about, and not even all of them, but it turns out there is a whole shot load of Edur on Lether. So... no knowledge of, stories about, or Edur themselves ever managed to make it from Lether to Malazan territory?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ZombieLenin posted:

Furthermore, when you're first introduced to the Edur they are described as a race none but historians know about, and not even all of them, but it turns out there is a whole shot load of Edur on Lether. So... no knowledge of, stories about, or Edur themselves ever managed to make it from Lether to Malazan territory?
That part gets sort-of-explained later, if I recall.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Ynglaur posted:

That part gets sort-of-explained later, if I recall.

Well, it's been years since I read the series the first time so it could authentically be I just don't remember this. Certainly, I read the books over a long enough time the first time I didn't even notice some of these apparent inconsistencies.

And to be fair--I never finished the series in the first place (I made it as far as Dust of Dreams).

Oh, and Warrens make no sense. Sometimes they are pathways created by K'rul and sometimes they are separate worlds associates with races (Elder Warrens), but the pathways also seem to be totally separate worlds too, and does it follow that the world of Malaz is its own Warren, or is it somehow distinct? But then there Burn...

Literally it's confusing as poo poo and when you try to actually think about, makes no sense.

Don't read any of this as me complaining about these novels. I think they're amazing, but I'm just trying to order some of the chaos and my brain is failing.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 14, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Oddly enough, I find the Warrens make perfect sense. You just have to accept that, as with other concepts in that world - eg, ascendancy - there is no 'one size fits all' approach. Warrens can come into existence or be created in a variety of ways, and are essentially planes of power - either their own world or a fragment of such - from which power can be drawn by those with the aptitude.

ZombieLenin posted:

I loving swear I've read a lot of these books twice and I'm still confused as poo poo sometimes.

For example, I just started reading Midnight Tides again, and I started to wonder...

The Tiste Andii and the Tiste Edur are described in a way that they are functionally the same species in the first few books; however, the Tiste Andii are described as basically biologically immortal. Yet the Edur, at least when you get to Midnight Tides, are very clearly not all thousands of years old and biologically immortal.
And yet, we never see a decrepitly old Edur or one dying of natural causes... I think MT still describes them as long lived, but without a champion and a Warren, they live a more brutish existence and tend to die from violence - whether as the result of wars or their the circumstances of their existence - on the regular. If there is an actual difference in biological mortality, it probably stems from the events of the Kharkanas Trilogy, where what became the Andi were infused with Darkness and what became the Edur...were not.

quote:

Contact between the Lether and Malaz corners of the world is non-existent. Why would Malazans have heard of the Edur when they haven't even heard of Lether? Likewise, no one in Lether has heard of the Malazans, and even the Bluerose Andi remnants' knowledge of Anomander and their own kin is a vestige of their racial mythology and not something they are aware of through contact.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The way I interpret Warrens is that they're worlds, but K'rul was the one who opened and maintains the connections between them.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I have a quarter-assed idea that the Bottle of Kandor sized seafaring civilization that Kr'ul & the other Azathanai stumble
across in Fall of Light might be prototype 0.2 of Letheras, mainly because of where it was located/whom it was near.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

anilEhilated posted:

The way I interpret Warrens is that they're worlds, but K'rul was the one who opened and maintains the connections between them.

Then it should follow that the world of Malazan Empire should be a source of magic, at the very least for anyone in other Warrens.

Re: Letherii isolation. Sure, I read that, yet an abundance of people who have contact with the Malazan empire end up there...

As for the life span of the Edur, while it's not outright stated "so and so dies from old age," there seems to me to be plenty of descriptions of age differentiation amongst the Edur, and I can only think of a single Andii described as "old."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Then it should follow that the world of Malazan Empire should be a source of magic, at the very least for anyone in other Warrens.
Hence why I describe them as 'planes' rather than worlds. I don't think it is the case that all worlds are Warrens, rather that all Warrens are planes of existence of something else. And the Warrens K'rul opens technically existed before his sacrifice - what he did was formalize their structure and make them accessible to the low races.

quote:

Re: Letherii isolation. Sure, I read that, yet an abundance of people who have contact with the Malazan empire end up there...
Such as? I honestly can't recall anyone who would have had contact with the Malazans showing up in Lether before the Edur begin sending out their champion recruiting parties.

quote:

As for the life span of the Edur, while it's not outright stated "so and so dies from old age," there seems to me to be plenty of descriptions of age differentiation amongst the Edur, and I can only think of a single Andii described as "old."

Perhaps. I've provided one possible explanation for any inherent differences. I would also consider that we see far more everyday life among the Edur in that one book than we do among the Andi across the entire decology.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

95% of the Andii seen in the core Malazan series were either really young, or had at some point in their lives drunk dragon blood
and become practically immortal dragonform shapeshifters.
The only 2 aged Andii I remember in the core Malazan series were the Andii high priest in Moons Spawn and the Rake brother that really really wanted to die, Andarist.

The Eidur had that whole hunter-gatherer background disclosed in Fall of Light, and that style of life really doesn't sync with living forever.
Plus the few Eidur that did drink dragons blood/became immortal dragonform shapeshifters immediately hosed off to anyplace better
or got killed by sneaky Tiste on Tiste backstabbing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Habibi posted:

Such as? I honestly can't recall anyone who would have had contact with the Malazans showing up in Lether before the Edur begin sending out their champion recruiting parties.

Seren Pedac runs into a few members of the Crimson Guard during Midnight Tides, where she gets a brief lesson in warrens and discovers the Bluerose prank on Letherii horsemen.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Aren't Edur cross bred with the Shake?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Seren Pedac runs into a few members of the Crimson Guard during Midnight Tides, where she gets a brief lesson in warrens and discovers the Bluerose prank on Letherii horsemen.

It also results in a couple of really good fight scenes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Aren't Edur cross bred with the Shake?

No, you might be thinking of how the Shake seem to be a mix of human / Andi, with some KCCM thrown in for good measure.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I read 6 books in this series back in 2004/2005, but stopped there for some reason. Recently I got a new colleague at work who is a huge fan of the series, so I decided to try to start over. I finished Gardens of the Moon yesterday, and I liked it well enough to continue on. It helps that I remember some stuff from before, and I read a little about what a Warren is and some other general stuff.

I don't want any spoilers, so I'm reluctant to google stuff I don't get. So I have a question about the end of Gardens of the Moon: I don't understand at all what happened to Raest, the Jaghut Tyrant. Suddenly he's inside Kruppe's dream. I guess Kruppe is a lot more powerful than he lets on, since K'rul is also there. But anyhow, Raest escapes by posessing Crokus' uncle. Then somehow the Finnest grows, and then Paran is transported somewhere where he and Tool fight the Finnest or something? They hold it off long enough for roots to emerge and swallow it. Then Quick Ben fights the possessed uncle, and they finish him off with some exploding quarrel. Then he is also taken by the roots and disappears into the ground. Finally the Finnest is now a house, which only opens for certain people. Without spoiling anything, what the hell happened? And what is Azath?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Azath Houses are pop up when there's a ton of magic so it doesn't kill everyone, I think this is mentioned in Gardens. Finnest was going nuts with Raest getting closer and would have destroyed Darujhistan because the Azath was slow so Paran and Tool had to hold it back until the house was strong enough.

At lest that's how I remember it, it's been a while since I read the book and anymore would go into what comes up further along in the series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'll get elaborated on later, the next book deals with Azath and what they do in more detail.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It'll get elaborated on later, the next book deals with Azath and what they do in more detail.

Although this does rather depend on your definition of "elaborated", "detail," "deals with", "more", "what", and "do".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also "next" and "book", but y'know, baby steps.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Snowman_McK posted:

It also results in a couple of really good fight scenes.

I really wanted more of Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard. But not enough to read the ICE books.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ammanas posted:

I really wanted more of Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard. But not enough to read the ICE books.

I don't think (most of) the ICE books are completely irredeemable, but they definitely won't leave you liking the Crimson Guard more.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think (most of) the ICE books are completely irredeemable, but they definitely won't leave you liking the Crimson Guard more.

I really liked the overall theme of "becoming old news and forgotten".

I made it halfway Fall of Light... man I'm chewing up this book slowly, I don't want it to end and then have no Erikson to read for a while :(

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm saving Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light until juuuuust before Walk in Shadow comes out. Then I'll be able to read them all in one go, and it'll be great.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
So I've read absolutely zero of the non-Erickson books; however since I'm currently re-reading the series (even though I'm already through Midnight Tides on the re-read) I thought now might be a good time to pick these up.

My question to you, fellow genre fiction goons, is: would it be worth my time and money to do so? Do they add anything worthwhile and are they written well enough not to be a chore to read?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

ZombieLenin posted:

So I've read absolutely zero of the non-Erickson books; however since I'm currently re-reading the series (even though I'm already through Midnight Tides on the re-read) I thought now might be a good time to pick these up.

My question to you, fellow genre fiction goons, is: would it be worth my time and money to do so? Do they add anything worthwhile and are they written well enough not to be a chore to read?

They range from boring to decent for the Crimson Guard books. Dancers Lament was legitimately good as a prequel.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
GotM is good so far (75%) but god drat I've never read a book this confusing with so many characters and subtle things I need to pick up on that regularly don't make sense to me (yet, hopefully). I guess it doesn't help that I read primarily before sleeping and forget a lot.

The Kalam/Ben, Rallick/Ocelot, Rake/Assassins scene was loving wonderful though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

GotM is good so far (75%) but god drat I've never read a book this confusing with so many characters and subtle things I need to pick up on that regularly don't make sense to me (yet, hopefully). I guess it doesn't help that I read primarily before sleeping and forget a lot.

The Kalam/Ben, Rallick/Ocelot, Rake/Assassins scene was loving wonderful though.

Pearl :smith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
See this gets really confusing because I tend to think this of the other Pearl.

Anyhow, the ICE books aren't all bad so if you don't mind typical fantasy writing and really disappointing answers to some of your questions, you'll be fine.
Feel free to skip Night of Knives though. Nothing of interest happens in there and the less time spent with whatsherface the Tayschrenn fangirl the better.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 4, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

They're fine. How high is your tolerance for generic fantasy novels?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

See this gets really confusing because I tend to think this of the other Pearl.

Anyhow, the ICE books aren't all bad so if you don't mind typical fantasy writing and really disappointing answers to some of your questions, you'll be fine.
Feel free to skip Night of Knives though. Nothing of interest happens in there and the less time spent with whatsherface the Tayschrenn fangirl the better.

Other Pearl :smith:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

If you are re-reading means you wanna know more about the Malazan universe. Go for the Ice novels, they start slow but they reach a cool point and you get to know more about the Malazan world. I haven't read Path of Ascendancy but I had a great ride on the first half of OST, ALL of Stonewielder and Blood and Bone.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Pretty much everything already recommended (Bakker, Cook, Mieville) is a great choice. Bakker's good for a big epic series even darker than Malazan, Cook's Black Company books are what the Malazan marines are (heavily) based on, and Mieville stuffs his books and worlds full of the same surprises Erikson does.

I'd also add Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun to the list. It's a series that like Malazan really rewards attentive reading, as well as rereading, and is a true classic in the fantasy genre.

these are good recommendations.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Correction.
Iskaral Pust's Super Secret Diary Do Not Read That Means You Shadowthrone Mule Mogara & Sordiko, I Mean It

is there a good explanation on who or what the Mule is? is he a shapeshifter d'iver thing?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BraveJoe posted:

is there a good explanation on who or what the Mule is? is he a shapeshifter d'iver thing?

He's a god drat mule!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

She.

Wait, he again.

Personally I liked the First Sword bits of Night of Knives though I don't really remember the other bits.