Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Have you considered a crosscut sled+box joint jig that turns over as a bench/shoe organizer? Just thinking out loud here....

Now you're really onto something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My mom salvaged a "nice looking" pallet from work. As I'm inwardly groaning at her description, she opens up her trunk and shows it to me.

After looking it over for a second I realize that's not regular pallet poo poo pine, it's solid maple. She wanted me to make "something" with it but didn't really care what. The horrible nails used in it made taking it apart intact rather iffy, so I cut out the nail-less chunks and made another cutting block out of it.

I made it thinner than I'd prefer just due to how little wood I had to make it a usable size, so there's a layer of birch plywood glued to the bottom to keep it solid. Even still it's not amazingly big, I think 6x9". Between that and my concerns about using the wood of a pallet of unknown origin in a food product, I'm half considering buying enough home depot maple to make a better one for her instead.

Eventually I'll spend the hours to vice grip every single ring shank nail out of the big middle pieces and do something with those, probably.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife has started taking up woodworking projects. She made a really nice headboard already but she's using a small, cheap assortment of tools and a borrowed circular saw.

I'd like to get her something nice for Christmas. What tool would make the best (versatility?) gift for a new woodworker? I'd like to stay under $300.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Calling it: a used 14" band saw off of Craigslist

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

me your dad posted:

My wife has started taking up woodworking projects. She made a really nice headboard already but she's using a small, cheap assortment of tools and a borrowed circular saw.

I'd like to get her something nice for Christmas. What tool would make the best (versatility?) gift for a new woodworker? I'd like to stay under $300.

Trim router w/ fixed and plunge base

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Raise your budget to $400 and get her the Makita track saw with the 55" rail.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

me your dad posted:

Possibly the only time you could buy your wife a shop vac and have it be appropriate. I would go that and a router.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Possibly the only time you could buy your wife a shop vac and have it be appropriate. I would go that and a router.

Shop Vac was going to be my second idea

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hubis posted:

Shop Vac was going to be my second idea

Plus then it sets you up to buy the next gift of a cyclone separator.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

me your dad posted:

On the joinery side, you could consider a set of chisels ($~70), sharpening stones ($100-300, see earlier this page), a good marking knife ($17-infinity), a 12" Starrett combination square ($70), or a block plane (many options, I love the Lie-nielsen rabbet block plane, $175).

E: Ooh, and a forums account to post in this thread ;)

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 2, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Going on record to say I hate the like Nielsen rabbet block plane, but that the regular one is great.

So many opportunities to cut yourself with many normal block plane grips.

Otherwise that is a great list, especially the combo square and marking knife.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

She bought herself a shop vac when she set out to build the head board.

A router sounds like a good idea. Is there a reason nobody is suggesting something like a saw?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

me your dad posted:

She bought herself a shop vac when she set out to build the head board.

A router sounds like a good idea. Is there a reason nobody is suggesting something like a saw?

What kind of saw do you mean?

We really don't have enough info to know what to recommend. Plus you said she already had access to a circular saw.

I think a track saw is a great place to start for someone with no saw at all and no dedicated shop space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Available space for whatever you get her is also a huge factor, perhaps even more so than budget.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Going on record to say I hate the like Nielsen rabbet block plane, but that the regular one is great.

It was my first block plane, so I never had to re-learn how to grip it. I like it because it can do everything a normal block plane can, but it can also cut and clean up tenon cheeks and shoulders, rabbets, and I've even used it to cut beads. It can do a lot for a single tool.

Of course the correct answer is to buy both :P

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Available space for whatever you get her is also a huge factor, perhaps even more so than budget.

Seriously the best gift might just be "I cleared out this section of the garage basement so you have a 10'x10' space to work in!"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hubis posted:

Seriously the best gift might just be "I cleared out this section of the garage basement so you have a 10'x10' space to work in!"

Please get this for me

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys. So I was about to gel stain my furniture when I realized last week that the gel would collect in the pocket holes. (They were unfilled because they were not visible, really...)

I found out about getting some plugs and a flush trim saw (there were posts in this thread, etc..) and got them.

Little did I realize I totally loving failed to take into account I cannot really GET at the pocket holes or get the saw in there due to diagonal bracing, etc...

So, i come seeking advice:

Do I:

Just gel stain everything and maybe hit those holes with an implement when it comes time to wipe down? (q-tip or similar?)

Fill it with wood filler putty? (I think I can get a putty knife in there to flatten and then hand-sand.

Again, I care not about appearance that much (Short of not wanting to leave it unfinished...). I just didn't want a bunch of gel stain goop drying in there and also I will be applying Poly afterwards.

Thoughts?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Firmly in the "don't worry about it" category. Clean it up with a rag/q-tip to get any excess out and call it good. You could wipe a little shellac/pre-stain conditioner in there first if you're really going to be forever bothered by darker pocket holes underneath your furniture.

GEMorris posted:

Otherwise that is a great list, especially the combo square and marking knife.

LN rabbet block plane rules, but the little brass LN 102 block/apron plane is sort of a secondary necessity imo.

I definitely have sliced myself up from holding it the wrong way(s).

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 2, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Feenix posted:

Hey guys. So I was about to gel stain my furniture when I realized last week that the gel would collect in the pocket holes. (They were unfilled because they were not visible, really...)

I found out about getting some plugs and a flush trim saw (there were posts in this thread, etc..) and got them.

Little did I realize I totally loving failed to take into account I cannot really GET at the pocket holes or get the saw in there due to diagonal bracing, etc...

Do I:

Just gel stain everything and maybe hit those holes with an implement when it comes time to wipe down? (q-tip or similar?)

Fill it with wood filler putty? (I think I can get a putty knife in there to flatten and then hand-sand.

Again, I care not about appearance that much (Short of not wanting to leave it unfinished...). I just didn't want a bunch of gel stain goop drying in there and also I will be applying Poly afterwards.

Thoughts?

Wood filler might be the least worst option.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feenix posted:

Do I:

Thoughts?

Are you going with a glass top? Totally don't worry about it, that's the small price you pay with pocket holes. Nobody will even see it. If the holes stain darker, that's because you and God intended it that way. Big NO to putty or wood filler, then it looks like hammered gently caress.

edit- but if you're really going to obsess over it, get some dowels of that diameter, shape them and glue in. That's going to be more work than all the rest of it, guaranteed. Bonus points if you can turn or find some dark wood dowels like walnut.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's going to have a marble top. LIterally don't care other than leaving PHYSICAL gunk in there (dried/gummy gel stain...)
And you won't be able to see it easily, but just potentially if you were laying on the floor looking toward the underside of the table.

I'll probably just swab em out a bit. Thanks guys. :)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That's the inside of the frame, under the top, right? I wouldn't even waste the time to finish those surfaces. Just do the visible surfaces plus an inch up the inside face and call it good.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

And you won't be able to see it easily, but just potentially if you were laying on the floor looking toward the underside of the table.

Go to a museum and look underneath drawers, inside carcasses, and behind backs, and then consider your position on this. (And then run, because security is about to have a word with you.)

Master woodworkers are such partly because they know when good is enough.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

One Legged Ninja posted:

Go to a museum and look underneath drawers, inside carcasses, and behind backs, and then consider your position on this. (And then run, because security is about to have a word with you.)

Master woodworkers are such partly because they know when good is enough.

This is actually a very fine position and has made me consider things from a new perspective. I will still try to stain as much as I can but will not overburden myself trying to be a perfectionist.

Thanks!

Best suggestion for prep/setup for stain? I'm going to Home Depot today. Should I get a canvas dropcloth?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pre-stained pocket hole plugs will get you 95% of the way there for minimal effort anyway if you really want.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Javid posted:

Pre-stained pocket hole plugs will get you 95% of the way there for minimal effort anyway if you really want.

Yes but the problem is getting them in there and flush. I have pocket holes. The staining of them is not my concern at all. :)
It's not having enough working space in the tight corners with the diagonal bracers to cut and sand them flush, etc. I'm past that, though. I'm all about just leaving them exposed. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ColdPie posted:

That's the inside of the frame, under the top, right? I wouldn't even waste the time to finish those surfaces. Just do the visible surfaces plus an inch up the inside face and call it good.

It is. It's nice ash wood, and a 300 dollar marble top. I kinda just wanted it to be a piece my kids might have and thusly be quality all around. *shrug* we'll see how much of a hassle it is.

[Ed] sorry thought this posted earlier. Irrelevant now, but for posterity

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So it was advised to me that gel stain is the easy-mode of staining. I set up my drop cloth. I was outside. I applied it to my end table frame.

I was barely done coating it onto the wood when I looped around to my start to get a rag and wipe it down and it was so dry and tacky that it took INSANE amounts of elbow grease (and left lots of rag haiirs.)

After an hour of trying to wipe this poo poo down, arms on fire, sweat literally blinding my eyes, I got some mineral spirits. It made it considerably easier. But god drat...

So what was my mistake? Did I do too much at once and it get too dry? Did I put too much on? Not enough? Even though it was only a 64 degree day, was the sun a drying factor?

I'd love to learn for the future.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Feenix posted:

So it was advised to me that gel stain is the easy-mode of staining. I set up my drop cloth. I was outside. I applied it to my end table frame.

I was barely done coating it onto the wood when I looped around to my start to get a rag and wipe it down and it was so dry and tacky that it took INSANE amounts of elbow grease (and left lots of rag haiirs.)

After an hour of trying to wipe this poo poo down, arms on fire, sweat literally blinding my eyes, I got some mineral spirits. It made it considerably easier. But god drat...

So what was my mistake? Did I do too much at once and it get too dry? Did I put too much on? Not enough? Even though it was only a 64 degree day, was the sun a drying factor?

I'd love to learn for the future.

I made a similar mistake where I let it dry too much. I think it only takes 10-15 minutes to get really tacky. The easiest way I had to get it off was to put more on top of the dried spots and then wipe it off. It dissolves itself so a minute or two after reapplying you should be able to wipe it off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gealar posted:

I made a similar mistake where I let it dry too much. I think it only takes 10-15 minutes to get really tacky. The easiest way I had to get it off was to put more on top of the dried spots and then wipe it off. It dissolves itself so a minute or two after reapplying you should be able to wipe it off.

OOh, good idea. It was definitely under 15 min. But maybe the sun just dried it faster.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feenix posted:

OOh, good idea. It was definitely under 15 min. But maybe the sun just dried it faster.

General rule of thumb: Don't apply stain in the direct sunlight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr. Mambold posted:

NOW YOU loving TELL ME!!

;)

This is about the look/ rustic feel I was going for. But I cannot decide if it's worth another quick slathering to see if I can go a little deeper. It's ash, so it started REALLY bright. And the stain is a walnut.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 4, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll give my one piece of woodworking advice again:

Test your stain on a piece of scrap.

For example here, you could try a second layer on your piece of scrap, see if you like the result?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

https://imgur.com/a/bcw0s

Finally got the pantorouter build to a usable state. Operating with one hand while trying to take a video is not the best, but this thing's a great way to dust up the garage.

(couldn't embed)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
How hard is it to make the templates for the pantorouter such that you'll get tight fitting mortise and tennons, for example?

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Mr. Mambold posted:

In my experience, gel stain dries much more quickly than a traditional oil-based stain (Minwax, General Finishes, etc oil based). That's in my garage, so I can only imagine it was even faster in direct sunlight.

Also, don't apply stain in direct sunlight if you can.

ForestHobo fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 5, 2017

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Don't write in starlight 'cause the words may come out real.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've got a couple of unfinished white oak bookshelves. I've never used wood dyes before but I'm reading that they let the grain show through more than a stain does, so I'm thinking of using dye instead of stain. Do they work well on oak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yes, analine dyes work exceptionally well on porous grained woods like oak.