Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Man, what a boring choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mira posted:

Man, what a boring choice.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I like Kazuo Ishiguro but I'm quite surprised by this.

At least it's not Phillip Roth though.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

sff author wins the nobel, what's the world coming to

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Peel posted:

sff author wins the nobel, what's the world coming to

Harry Martinson

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 25, 2022

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Harry Martinson

i was thinking doris lessing but this is a way deeper cut

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peel posted:

i was thinking doris lessing but yours is a way deeper cut

I memorized the Nobel Prize winners in college for some reason

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have never read any of Ishiguro's books and any synopsis makes them seem like really boring middle-brow stuff, so I probably never will

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ulvir posted:

I have never read any of Ishiguro's books and any synopsis makes them seem like really boring middle-brow stuff, so I probably never will

Never Let Me Go seems pretty cool. It's next on my list once I finish War and Peace.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

Is there any critique that is more self-reflective than middle-brow

blue squares posted:

Never Let Me Go seems pretty cool. It's next on my list once I finish War and Peace.

Its probably his best imho

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ulvir posted:

Hoping Ian McEwan wins it next year

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gorn Myson posted:

Hoping Ian McEwan wins it next year

I liked him in Trainspotting.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ulvir posted:

that's pretty unfair. his books are very good. they have a very easy style which i think belies the broader themes he's often touching on without being explicit. i would recommend remains of the day, it's about how class society and the victorian novel enabled the rise of fascism in england.

definitely not going to be a thread hipster favorite because it's about as far from art-as-difficult as you can find. but they're good..

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I thought never let me go was a John Green book or something

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

I thought Remains of the Day was decent. Still pretty boggled he won the Nobel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

I thought Remains of the Day was decent. Still pretty boggled he won the Nobel

Yeah he basically went from underrated to overrated in a day

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I always hated him and thought his work was dry, pretentious, unforthcoming, wildly soporific, and farcical

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I always hated him and thought his work was dry, pretentious, unforthcoming, wildly soporific, and farcical

someone downloaded a thesaurus app

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Welcome to the thread 🙂

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He's decent. What a meh choice.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

He's decent. What a meh choice.

Yeah thats the general consensus I think

He's not bad, he's just deeply underwhelming as a Nobel Laureate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah he basically went from underrated to overrated in a day

Harsh but fair

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

But then, the Nobel Prize is pretty underwhelming as an institution

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Recommended reading re: literary prizes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

But then, the Nobel Prize is pretty underwhelming as an institution

gently caress you

some dude is super butthurt he never got one

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 5, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress you

Why? Nobody else does

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I agree.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I only really needed to read this bit:

quote:

What the public wants, as the Pulitzer sees it (and as Mr. Stuckey correctly concludes, I think) is an exciting story with a timely theme, although it may have an historical setting. The material should be handled simply and delivered in terms of sharp contrasts so that problems can be decisively resolved. Ideally, it should be written in a style that is as invisible as Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, so that the reader can let go of the words and grasp the situation.

Because we have a large, affluent, mildly educated middle class which has fundamentally the same tastes as the popular culture it grew up with, yet with pretensions to something more, something higher, something better suited to its half-opened eyes and spongy mind, there is a large industry of artists, academics, critics and publicists eager to serve it - lean cuisine if that's the thing - and the Pulitzer is ready with its rewards.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html

Not necessarily about the Pulitzer, but about books in general. "Yeah, it's alright."

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
The sleeping giant is the weirdest piece of Arthuriana to be produced in the last twenty years or so. I read it back when it came out and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The sleeping giant is the weirdest piece of Arthuriana to be produced in the last twenty years or so. I read it back when it came out and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not

What was your opinion on the buried giant though

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
who do you all think should have won?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

derp posted:

i think the thread consensus is Urs Alleman

serious answer, Pynchon while there's still time to rectify their mistake

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 5, 2017

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

derp posted:

if they were going to do english language again it should've been murnane

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

serious answer, Pynchon while there's still time to rectify their mistake

This is my choice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also I'll troll this thread by saying Ursula LeGuin deserves the Nobel more than Margaret Atwood does

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I can't think of any living authors beside Kadare who I care about so he should've won

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like half the fun of the Nobel is that it shines a light on authors American audiences might not be familiar with.

Ideally I would want someone like Thiang'o, or Adunis, or Krasznahorkai

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

stop making me want to read middlebrow british lit, I'm from here and they're all insufferable

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/915961918107656192

it's lowbrow or '''''''''high'''''''' for me buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What was your opinion on the buried giant though

That one's good