Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pureauthor posted:

Wait, so (new episode spoilers)

Goku fights Jiren and then... they just break it off and continue to do their own thing again?

Colour me disappointed.

There are some theories going around that Hit steps in to save Goku to pay him back for helping against Dyspo and friend, since the spoilers don't really say why Hit is suddenly fighting Jiren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Cabba almost seems to be breaking the fourth wall in 112's summary with how aware he is of his role now.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

Blue Star posted:

I remember posting on Planet Namek back in 2001 or so.

As for spoiling Dragon Ball Super, i dont mind since I spoiled DBZ for myself back in the day. I remember reading these manga summaries written by some guy whose name I cant remember, but they were really long text files just summarizing each chapter. Lots of eye strain.

Part of it was because Dragon Ball fans were such douchebags to newcomers. "Oh, you've only seen the dub on tv and, through absolutely no fault of your own, don't know who Trunks/Cell/Majin Boo is? Idiot newbie. Educate yourself"

Greg Werner's Ultimate DBZ Info Page. Yellow on black texts, miles and miles of it, very few pictures.

I remember circling a lot of the "super elite" sites back then, gobbling up every last bit of info I could come across. Planet Namek, Kienzan's Edge, Werner's site, Temple of Trunks, Daizenshuu EX, Vegeta Insane, and a lot more I'm probably forgetting. I'll always remember some site had a terribly squashed gif of 13 punching Goku in the dick and that was their hit counter for their front page.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FatSamurai posted:

Greg Werner's Ultimate DBZ Info Page. Yellow on black texts, miles and miles of it, very few pictures.

I remember circling a lot of the "super elite" sites back then, gobbling up every last bit of info I could come across. Planet Namek, Kienzan's Edge, Werner's site, Temple of Trunks, Daizenshuu EX, Vegeta Insane, and a lot more I'm probably forgetting. I'll always remember some site had a terribly squashed gif of 13 punching Goku in the dick and that was their hit counter for their front page.

gently caress I remember that too but nothing else about that site. Planet Namek and Pojo were definitely my jam back in the day. I came to Daizenshuu super late. The podcast had already started up by then.

Was extra fun though to find out like 90% of the commonly accepted fan facts/wisdom about the series was some completely made up "Mew is under the truck" bullshit.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Where the hell are those other Namekians.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheHan posted:

playing cards in the back until it's their turn to lose to u7

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And thinking about old Dragonball fandom reminds me of that fake interview everyone believed

quote:

Akira Toriyama Interview by Nirazaki Tihashiberi
Super Otaku Magazine Issue #297

Toriyama-san has agreed to answer some questions for us today. Much thanks to Toriyama-san after the craze on the Majin Buu period. (Do note that this was not a cover story, and thus, short).

Nirazaki: Many fans have given positive feedback over the Majin Buu period. The inclusion of fusion was an unexpected twist. What gave you the idea?

Toriyama-san: Well in order to have a villain with so much strength, you need someone around that can rival him. Majin Buu is incredibly strong. Its not easy to create a character that can keep up. So I thought of making the characters fuse to create new characters without taking the focus off the main characters.

Nirazaki: There have been many changes since the Saiya-jins came to earth. Do you ever think about the progress?

Toriyama-san: Yes I do. Doragonboru has come a long way. They went from running at super speed to moving at the speed of light! (Laughs)

Nirazaki: There was uproar over the rematch between Son Goku and Bejita. Were you planning this the entire time?

Toriyama-san: (Laughs) It was more of a crowd pleaser. Son Gokuu and Bejita didn't have the opportunity to fight in the Seru period, and with a new saga to start with, it would not be hard to work in that kind of battle.

Nirazaki: Youve been telling everyone how this is the end. Will Doragonboru really end after Majin Buu?

Toriyama-san: Yes. I've put so much time on Doragonboru I cant do much else. I never expected Doragonboru to be this long in the first place. I think its been concluded on a high note. After all, if I had my way, Id of ended the manga after the Freeza period! (Laughs)

Nirazaki: You like to laugh about this a lot. Will parting with Doragonboru be difficult?

Toriyama-san: On one side, Im relieved. On the other side, its like seeing a child move away.

Nirazaki: I know that a lot of people want to hear more about fusion. With Gotenkusu now in the story, will he play that big of a role? And most of all, is he stronger than Son Goku himself?

Toriyama-san: Well I dont know yet. I've planned some things with Gotenkusu, but he wont be the focus of the entire saga. Youll see as things develop. As for their strength, Gotenkusu is a little bit stronger, but you wouldnt notice a difference. Still, Son Goku will always be the most skilled martial artist! (Smiles) But Gotenkusu will not be the only person to go higher than son Goku.

Nirazaki: What does that last part mean?

Toriyama-san: Youll find out.

Nirazaki: Ill remember that! One last question.

Toriyama-san: Make it good, you wont get a second chance! Kidding, Ill see you again.

Nirazaki: Is Son Goku dead forever? He has come back before, but it looks like he's out of lives.

Toriyama-san: I dont want to shift the focus, so I have to keep certain things close to their roots. Son Goku will have his day, but right now its up to "Super Gotenkusu!".

Looking back on it now the three biggest signs it was bullshit all along are

1. No Japanese publication would have a name as generic and simple as Super Otaku Magazine
2. Nirazaki Tihashiberi is a nonsense name
3. The sheer implication that Toriyama planned anything ever

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

They are never gong to appear

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

quote:

Nirazaki: Do you like Pikuhan's involvement in the series?

Toriyama-san: Not much. Pikuhan is kind of ugly. (Laugh)

definitely a real comment and not someone writing Akira Toriyama fanfiction to help justify their hate of Pikkon on an internet forum

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Was that pre-dub or was that guy just trying to max out his weaboo points by using "Doragonboru", "Seru", and "Gotenkusu"?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

They are never gong to appear

As meat chunks that Jiren punched into regenerating goop.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Was that pre-dub or was that guy just trying to max out his weaboo points by using "Doragonboru", "Seru", and "Gotenkusu"?

It's been floating around since the early 2000's so it was probably an effort to make it seem more authentic

fun fact the "Toriyama wanted to stop after Freeza" stuff comes from the Super Otaku Magazine hoax. Dude's never said that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Trying to make fake quotes seem more legitimate by using japanese spellings.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can I just say, if you are an English speaking person, and you grew up in an English or just NON JAPANESE speaking nation, maybe you shouldn't be using the VERY Japanese pronunciations of character names?

I know that type of nerd exists and they're just the shittiest thing to hear because it always sounds racist.

Kaiser Neko is a borderline example because I don't think he goes ALL in on it, but he definitely does the Gokuu and Killian or whatever bullshit.

loving use the english pronunciations. Or your own native language. loving weebs.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I never got why people abbreviate Super Saiyan as SSJ

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CharlestonJew posted:

Because otherwise you get SS Goku, and out of context that looks suspect.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah but just the word "Goku" alone gives it all the context anyone needs, everyone knows Goku

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Supa saiya jin = ssj

Caros
May 14, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah but just the word "Goku" alone gives it all the context anyone needs, everyone knows Goku

Because it is most often used in discussing the specific form where you need to specify whether it is base, one, two etc.

The choice of SSJ over SS is half weeaboo and half Nazi awkwardness.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I still don't like it, not one bit

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

Can I just say, if you are an English speaking person, and you grew up in an English or just NON JAPANESE speaking nation, maybe you shouldn't be using the VERY Japanese pronunciations of character names?

I know that type of nerd exists and they're just the shittiest thing to hear because it always sounds racist.

Kaiser Neko is a borderline example because I don't think he goes ALL in on it, but he definitely does the Gokuu and Killian or whatever bullshit.

loving use the english pronunciations. Or your own native language. loving weebs.
This is a weird post.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Especially trying to pull that weird argument with Kuririn, when that is actually the name used in some "official" English releases such as the Viz printing of the manga.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's so wrong with Bongo?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because otherwise you get SS Goku, and out of context that looks suspect.

I always thought of it as the name of a steamship. :downs:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Caros posted:

The choice of SSJ over SS is half weeaboo and half Nazi awkwardness.
Especially awkward since his most popular power up involves turning into a throbbing fantasy of people who thought "Aryan" meant white people.

I am pleased that googling SS Goku brings up nothing but good, honest fightman. Worst image is hollow form Ichigo going SSJ, which is better than I'm expecting from google.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

For approximately 6 years people on the internet always knew it as Super Saiyajin and the abbreviation stuck. Goku went SSJ against Freeza in 1991 in Japan, fansubs and bootlegs started spreading around around that time (I saw a lot of Z in Japanese in ~1993ish) and American Dragon Ball websites started appearing and becoming old school Internet popular in 1994ish. Since people were getting the worst fansubs or none at all, they were picking up info from those sites and the abbreviation kind of stuck.

Dragon Ball Z first started airing in the U.S. in 1996 (?) and he went super in 1999, so by that time, between the newer sites carrying the abbreviation on, and new adopters looking up spoilers on the Internet, the abbreviation was already pretty set in.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

I still don't like it, not one bit

It takes on the meaning of "super vegetable people".

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Chieves posted:

I always thought of it as the name of a steamship. :downs:

SS Goku always had the same connotation to me. Back in the days when the show was first airing on Toonami, I remember making fun of other people on Gamefaqs' DBZ board who used that abbreviation instead of the true and pure SSJ by asking how seaworthy the good ship Goku was.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Meanwhile in Japan

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah Japan has never ever used a J and the older I get the more the J looks weird. We know alot more than we used to its just weird it stuck around so long.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The older I get the weirder broly looks to me.

They should retcon eyebrows back on SSJ3. Just have them float back onto Goku's face, no one will mind.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Spiderdrake posted:

The older I get the weirder broly looks to me.

They should retcon eyebrows back on SSJ3. Just have them float back onto Goku's face, no one will mind.

???

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Those eyebrows

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Wait, so (new episode spoilers)

Goku fights Jiren and then... they just break it off and continue to do their own thing again?

Colour me disappointed.

There was no chance of this weekend's fight being the final Goku vs Jiren confrontation. There's too many active players in the tournament at this point, so they'll fight again real late.

I'd be shocked if the only reason they're fighting at this point isn't because they have a hour special and they needed something big for it. They'd probably have kept it for a one fight between them thing if they'd only had regular episodes.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 6, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ss goku sounds more like a ship than a nazi to me

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RBX posted:

Yeah Japan has never ever used a J and the older I get the more the J looks weird. We know alot more than we used to its just weird it stuck around so long.

And they were allied with Hitler in WW2. Coincidence?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The J makes it look cooler.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Ninth Layer posted:

The J makes it look cooler.

This was also true in Former Best Mecha Anime, Gao Gai Gar. Makes you think :thunk:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

deadly_pudding posted:

This was also true in Former Best Mecha Anime, Gao Gai Gar. Makes you think :thunk:

Jao Jai Jar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nah, in like the second half there's a dude named Soldat J, and his giant robot King J-Der, and he's loving hype.

He's powered by the J-Jewel, which transforms courage into energy. It's all thoroughly ridiculous.