Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordaedil posted:

Ultra Instinct, judging from Whis' reaction, might be "angel-level" ki.

Nah I don't think it's necessarily a special kind of Ki, Ultra Instinct seems more about the state of mind. Remember back in Resurrection F, when Whis was talking about moving without thinking in a battle? It was something he couldn't even get Beerus to do entirely.
Goku pushed himself way beyond his breaking point and then got a sudden adrenaline shot in the form of the energy from the Spirit Bomb. For a few minutes his half-conscious body was put on overdrive and it was acting out of pure fighting instinct, throwing a kick faster than Goku could even process his decision to kick.
That's probably what Whis and Jiren meant when they observed the "heat" surrounding Goku, he was overloaded with energy and it was leaking out extremely fast.

I freaking love how genuinely happy Whis is about Goku reaching this level, he's like a soccer mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Makes me wonder how genuinely serious he was now about having Goku potentially replace Beerus.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
that was so good

as for tiering discussion i figure the top levels are basically like

ui goku / jiren
ssb kaioken goku
ssb goku /gold freeza / ssb vegeta / hit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd prob move hit up a tier and put kale where he is currently

toppo should be in there as well

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You're probably right on the money Augus.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Watched the special and caught up to the thread, and that fight really delivered. A few thoughts/observations:

- I was surprised that my guess of the Zenos/Beerus/Whis providing ki to Goku to unlock his new form didn't happen. I'm not sure how the combined ki from the other U7 fighters could have hoped to finish off Jiren, much less give Goku the juice to unlock UI.

- I feel sorry for Ribrianne. The show tried to sell her powerful new form, but it fell flat because Goku kept fighting her at base form. Feels kind of disrespectful, really. I did like that she learned from 17 about sniping opponents in the middle of transformations though.

- Ultra Instinct was kind of disturbing, it was like Goku became a powerful meat puppet in automatic attack mode. I still think that Goku didn't deserve yet another power-up.

- Jiren might actually be a pacifist, or at least not enjoy fighting. That's twice now that he defeated a powerful opponent then didn't knock out of the ring. It feels strangely merciful of him.

Zwingley posted:

Anyone else get the feeling Goku wasn't really enjoying fighting Jiren? As far as I recall, he never had his doofy fight-loving smile on when he was getting the stuffing knocked out of him, and he didn't talk about being excited by a strong opponent.

I think it might be because Jiren isn't engaging with him. Goku's opponents have either: wanted to surpass him (Piccolo/Krillin), wanted to hurt him/put him in his place (Freeza/Zamasu), wanted to have fun (Fat Buu/Beerus), was drawn into enjoying fights (Tien/Hit) or Vegeta.

But Jiren doesn't care about any of that at all. He doesn't see Goku when they're fighting, he sees a target to show off U11's power.

Kashuno posted:

Krillin explained it pretty well; both Goku and Jiren are serious martial artists who treated each other as worthy opponents and respected each other for it.

I thought this part of the episode made Krillin sound like an idiot. From what we saw, Jiren only let Goku do what he did until he went UI because Belmod wanted to break the fighting spirit of the other universes. It didn't seem like he saw Goku as a worthy opponent. That, and it also felt like a really clunky excuse to try and justify why Goku keeps fighting people in base form.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Also, I am glad the show continues to dump on Shin as every other god freaks out over Ultra Instinct and he has no idea what they're talking about.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbp posted:

- Jiren might actually be a pacifist, or at least not enjoy fighting. That's twice now that he defeated a powerful opponent then didn't knock out of the ring. It feels strangely merciful of him.

In terms of actual strong opponents, he's only outright defeated Kale in her berserker form, who was rescued from ring-out by Hit and Goku in SSB/Kaioken, who saved himself. He won against UI Goku but only because its power elapsed. Goku's Goku so he's not getting ringed out so early if at all, but he still sent him flying at a trajectory that would have ring outed him if the pillar wasn't in the way, so he's not trying to be merciful at all, it's that things keep stopping his eliminations from going through.

And there's not much reason to believe Hit is weaker than Goku before this new upgrade at all. He owned Goku in the first tournament while holding back even after SSB/Kaio-ken and he killed Goku in an anime only story too. They weren't really trying to kill each other that other time too.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
The way I see UI is this.

Basically, normally your brain thinks step forward, lift arm, punch etc etc. Conscious thought of what to do as well as how much energy.

You naturally don't actively think that step by step, that's partly autopilot on the brain but it still has a part.

UI happened when Goku was so drained his mind was barely able to hang on, then suddenly the body got a kick of energy out of nowhere to run on. So the mind is still barely conscious, likely just perceiving what's happening while the body does it's thing completely on its own.
Even then, right after the transformation Goku consciously took a step, then the body decided to go for the kick quickly enough that he didn't perceive it happening until he was on top of Jiren.
So his body at this point has a higher performance ceiling than his mind does, and during UI it takes over while Goku is likely perceiving only bits and pieces of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was comparable to being black out drunk and he didn't even get a chance to experience half of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

wonder if kubo designed ultra instinct down to the same hollow roars

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So one potentially fun thing

This may not be with UI fully looks like.

That toycatalogue thing that showed the potential new character referred to this form as UI Omen. So if it is just an omen of things to come, the final form could be different

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The only difference between this and the full Ultra Instinct will be that Goku loses his shirt.

Please buy the Ultra Instinct Goku and Ultra Instinct Goku (shirt) figurines.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope Goku's new form eventually gets a better name English name than 'Ultra Instinct'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Auto Pilot
Cruise Control
Jesus Take The Wheel

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Go with the obvious.

Goku Omen.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 9, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Welp

quote:

Universe 11's Jiren faces off against Universe 6's Hit. Hit takes Jiren's attacks on purpose and thinks up a strategy. Hit then counters Jiren with his "Time-Skip", but it's of absolutely no effect.

See ya hit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

multijoe posted:

I hope Goku's new form eventually gets a better name English name than 'Ultra Instinct'

I can almost guarantee you that's the only English name we're getting. There's no way that localization wasn't handed down to all English licensers from Toei.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

I can almost guarantee you that's the only English name we're getting. There's no way that localization wasn't handed down to all English licensers from Toei.

I don't know if I agree

mostly because Crunchyroll subs are kind of not the best and have gotten things that were translated differently to the Dub wrong before. King Of Kai Fist anyone?

Funimation will give it a name. It may be the same but it might be different

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a difference between a translation error and a term appearing eight times within one episode, though

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
leave Shin alone, dude had his friends and family slaughtered by a murderous bubblegum genie.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/917119769853038592

Having read that, Ultra Instinct is a pretty fitting name and it's not a mouth masher either. It conveys the intent, is pretty understandable too and it's maybe the best compromise to go with considering Japanese can be total hell to translate into English while maintaining meaning.

It's definitely not like Kaioken which is short and punchy in Japanese and easily parsed to English listeners. Migatte no Goku'i is distinctly more difficult to parse to English only listeners.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

There's a difference between a translation error and a term appearing eight times within one episode, though

King Kai Fist is the consistent term Crunchyroll have used for Kaioken, the technique which has had the same pre-existing translation for nigh on twenty years

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of translations, I started watching kai again on saturday and it's weird how they use the japanese names for special beam cannon and destructo disc but not the spirit bomb

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/917119769853038592

Having read that, Ultra Instinct is a pretty fitting name and it's not a mouth masher either. It conveys the intent, is pretty understandable too and it's maybe the best compromise to go with considering Japanese can be total hell to translate into English while maintaining meaning.

It's definitely not like Kaioken which is short and punchy in Japanese and easily parsed to English listeners. Migatte no Goku'i is distinctly more difficult to parse to English only listeners.

Extreme Mind would be a pretty sweet name too

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe Depths of the Mind?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe Depths of the Mind?

That is waaaay too long and does not sound snappy or cool

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Instinct is fine

Just change 'Ultra' for something snappier, you got a ton of choices, Ultimate, Primal, Divine, etc

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

Instinct is fine

Just change 'Ultra' for something snappier, you got a ton of choices, Ultimate, Primal, Divine, etc

If this is an Angel technique, Divine would be perfect

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cauli in the bottom right makes the whole thing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think ultra instinct is just a mental thing which is why goku had such a hard time figuring out what was up afterwards.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Mind's Eye

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Horse, Weed, Ultra Instinct

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Welp

See ya hit

I mean how good can stopping time to walk up to and subsequently kick the crap out of someone really be when the person your about to kick is more than happy to stand stock still and let you kick him as hard as you can while time passes normally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Black August posted:

Instinct is fine

Burkion posted:

If this is an Angel technique, Divine would be perfect

Yeah, Divine would be best. Ultimate is too many syllables to be ideal in my opinion and Primal gives the opposite feel of what the ability does. Like, I'd expect a skill called Primal Instinct to tank hits to give them back harder, rather than dodge attacks automatically.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea ultimate would be bad and primal instinct is a fighting game

divine makes a lot of sense

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
they should name it chrono trigger

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

IcePhoenix posted:

Cauli in the bottom right makes the whole thing

Saitama Jiren is perfect.

"Okay."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ultra Instinct is a good name imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is the same franchise where we've been watching Super Saiyan Blue for the past 50 episodes to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Augus posted:

Nah I don't think it's necessarily a special kind of Ki, Ultra Instinct seems more about the state of mind. Remember back in Resurrection F, when Whis was talking about moving without thinking in a battle? It was something he couldn't even get Beerus to do entirely.
Goku pushed himself way beyond his breaking point and then got a sudden adrenaline shot in the form of the energy from the Spirit Bomb. For a few minutes his half-conscious body was put on overdrive and it was acting out of pure fighting instinct, throwing a kick faster than Goku could even process his decision to kick.
That's probably what Whis and Jiren meant when they observed the "heat" surrounding Goku, he was overloaded with energy and it was leaking out extremely fast.

I freaking love how genuinely happy Whis is about Goku reaching this level, he's like a soccer mom.

this makes sense because also in ressurection f whis told him goku and vegeta that goku had better fighting instincts than vegeta who is always more in control. makes sense that goku would become a zombie god