Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Zeth posted:

Inventory tomorrow. Entire store losing its collective mind. Send help.

1) Will your store call the cops if they receive an evacuation-worthy threat from the Haggis Liberation Front?
2) if no, then post your store's phone number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Why can't you just, like, not go in?

I'm not. But I know they're gonna give me poo poo. There is no winning. So I'm gonna feel dread these next few days until it all comes to a head on friday.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So I quit my job at walmart yesterday, it felt really good. They apparently weren't expecting me to call them first thing in the morning and quit over the phone, despite me pretty much telling the overnight assistant manager last Tuesday before I left that I was probably going to do that, but I shouldn't be surprised since nobody communicates at that store. I think they thought I was sick or something since I called off the first two days of my rotation this week.

If I had to do it all over again, I won't say I wouldn't have gone to daylight, the food/fresh side was alright, but I will say that I wouldn't have taken the gm support manager position that opened when that associate was fired. It's too bad too, since I think if anybody actually gave a poo poo, that the GM side, despite having no loving associates half of the time, would've been relatively easy to keep from being the shitpile that it has always been. From department managers that outright refused to do their job but weren't punished for it (I had to go overnight for weeks on end to unfuck housewares/domestics, for six loving months), to departments that didn't have a department manager or daylight associates for over a year previously (stationery/crafts), to the salaried management that could have fixed the problems but chose to instead kick the can down the road until it was their time to switch areas or transfer out, it was impossible.

That store is unbelievably toxic, and the sad thing is, despite all of corporate's "we're making this better/easier/more friendly than before" bullshit, the other stores that I've been in for either complete-waste-of-time academy training or having to help out before their inventories, have been the exact same way, if not slightly better hidden.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
At least ignore it for a few hours to force them to try all other possible options.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Leal posted:

I'm not. But I know they're gonna give me poo poo. There is no winning. So I'm gonna feel dread these next few days until it all comes to a head on friday.

I don't want to get all preachy here but really the way you choose to feel about something as an adult should be at least 51% under your control at least 51% of the time. I get that it's challenging to do so, but please understand that there are ways to talk to yourself about all of this so that you don't have to "dread" some scumbag giving you a hard time about this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They're still trying to get me and have started sending texts. The big emergency that requires loving up my weekend? Someone did a no call no show today and so they got suspended. I would put an emote here for my reaction but I don't think there is one.

All I know is that I've been feeling progressively more sick as the day as gone on so for all I know I'll be waking up tomorrow with a headache and sore muscles on top of my runny nose and scratchy throat and can get a doctor to give me a note saying "let him have his day off you fucks"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vote :commissar:, that's pretty fitting.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
It's over. Apparently we did really well and nothing was a disaster :toot:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Leal posted:

They're still trying to get me and have started sending texts. The big emergency that requires loving up my weekend? Someone did a no call no show today and so they got suspended. I would put an emote here for my reaction but I don't think there is one.

All I know is that I've been feeling progressively more sick as the day as gone on so for all I know I'll be waking up tomorrow with a headache and sore muscles on top of my runny nose and scratchy throat and can get a doctor to give me a note saying "let him have his day off you fucks"

Turn off your phone. Their problems are not your problems. You owe them nothing, and if they are upset, it's not your fault, it's their fault. They have other options than to drag you in on your day off, they are just too lazy to exercise them because they expect you to compensate for their failures to staff adequately.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

Oh man you gave them your cellphone? Why would you do that?

You hosed up, man. You hosed up bad.

My managers sometime ask for my cellphone number, and I always refuse. My reply is always the same. "If I'm not at home to answer the phone, I'm busy, and I'm not coming in anyways."

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My managers sometime ask for my cellphone number, and I always refuse. My reply is always the same. "If I'm not at home to answer the phone, I'm busy, and I'm not coming in anyways."

You have a landline in 2017?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

PCOS Bill posted:

Our store has a solution for departments who have people who like to call out sick and then nobody else willing to come in... hire more people. So now everybody gets 4 hour shifts and 20 hours a week instead of mostly 6 to 8 hours a day and close to 40 hours a week. Now we only have to worry about figuring out how to fix a 4 hour call out instead of an 8 hour shift. With more people in the department, there's a greater chance that someone is willing to come in on their day off.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

It's bundled with my cable and internet. If I was living alone I'd just have the internet and cellphone. :shrug:

ijii posted:

Our store has a solution for departments who have people who like to call out sick and then nobody else willing to come in... hire more people. So now everybody gets 4 hour shifts and 20 hours a week instead of mostly 6 to 8 hours a day and close to 40 hours a week. Now we only have to worry about figuring out how to fix a 4 hour call out instead of an 8 hour shift. With more people in the department, there's a greater chance that someone is willing to come in on their day off.

My old store did this in basically ever department they possibly could. The result was an absolutely insane turnover because nobody could make enough money and the hours were all over the place, so you couldn't even hold down a second job. This is also a great way to gently caress your employees out of healthcare and I'm pretty sure keeping them below a certain amount of hours makes them easier to fire, as well.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

creatine posted:

For retail I agree but in other fields I can see two weeks and exit process being a courtesy if you didn't have bad blood. Time to transfer documents, knowledge of products/timelines/whatever to someone or your replacement.

I had a job where...I wasn't exactly fired, but the writing was on the wall that my boss was going to keep trying to get me fired (long story). I told them I quit, and left (really loving pissed off) to go to class. On the way there I almost got run down by some road-raging motherfucker who wasn't happy that I was riding my bike on his road. (Now I'm more pissed.) Then I get a phone call from my boss's boss. "Could you please write a letter of resignation for me?"

"Could you go gently caress yourself?" I replied. And then I blacked out for about 2 hours.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Leal posted:

loving hell, why on earth would you KEEP harassing someone that's obviously ignoring your calls? I can't see any value in anything beyond one, maybe two attempts and either a text or a voicemail.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My old store did this in basically ever department they possibly could. The result was an absolutely insane turnover because nobody could make enough money and the hours were all over the place, so you couldn't even hold down a second job. This is also a great way to gently caress your employees out of healthcare and I'm pretty sure keeping them below a certain amount of hours makes them easier to fire, as well.

My old store did this, and then when I told them another store had offered me 30 hours they immediately told me they'd match it.

Which sucked for them, because that cemented my suspicion that they were exploitative dickheads. 20 hours a week was literally only just covering my rent, and they'd been telling me for months how valuable I was to them while listening to me talk about how I was literally selling my stuff for food and bill money, and all that time they could have easily been giving me 30 hours a week?

I jumped ship immediately and with no regrets, and I'm glad it hosed them over.

The best part is the only reason I got the offer at the new store is because I was over there doing a refit - a position I fought hard for because I was so desperate for any extra hours I could get. If my original store had given a single poo poo about me instead of their short-term bottom line, I wouldn't have been hunting for hours, and I'd still be working for them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fil5000 posted:

loving hell, why on earth would you KEEP harassing someone that's obviously ignoring your calls? I can't see any value in anything beyond one, maybe two attempts and either a text or a voicemail.

Sadly, it's usually because it's worked before and they know the person they're harassing will eventually cave and do what they want.

Stay strong Leal!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Went to work today and had another employee call out, so the boss let catch and extra 3 hours. man, I miss, yet don't miss, 40 hours.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Corporate just took away our backend system for ordering movies and music for customers. Which was almost exclusively used by old people who didn’t want to use our website (the system pulled from the same inventory so there wasn’t any real difference in ordering online or in-store).

Management has told us to tell customers to go to our website and order. If they complain too much though, “just order it from the website for them”.

Okay. Why’d you take away the system that made that easier for me to do then? Ugh. It wouldn’t be so bad but it takes forever, they never have a clue what the names of the movies are until I search for them myself, and they want to pay with cash (which means ringing up a gift card so they can pay for the website order) AND I’m usually scheduled alone with at least 3 other tasks that customers will come to me for, meaning I will get a line almost every time.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 12, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Management doesn't give a poo poo how long customers have to wait. Why should you?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I spent all day wondering why half of our cashiers didn't show up for work, and why we had an armed guard. Turns out someone came in, got violent, and threatened to kill everyone on the front end. We were not warned by management, told what happened, or even given a description of the guy- answering such questions is against corporate policy.

:tif:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I spent all day wondering why half of our cashiers didn't show up for work, and why we had an armed guard. Turns out someone came in, got violent, and threatened to kill everyone on the front end. We were not warned by management, told what happened, or even given a description of the guy- answering such questions is against corporate policy.

:tif:

What in the actual gently caress is their reasoning for that.

Usually when your company hates you and wants you dead they are more subtle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Welp here we go, heading out to work in 20 minutes. Lets see if I'm retaliated against for not coming in 2 days ago.

E: PS they were also calling me all Wednesday too

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Leal posted:

Welp here we go, heading out to work in 20 minutes. Lets see if I'm retaliated against for not coming in 2 days ago.

E: PS they were also calling me all Wednesday too

:byodood:"WHY DIDN'T YOU COME IN OR ANSWER YOUR PHONE!!!11!1!"

:grin:: "It was my scheduled day off I was busy"

:byodood:"YOU NEED TO BE CONSTANTLY AVAILABLE TO ANSWER CALLS IN CASE SOMETHING COMES UP!"

:grin:: "It was my scheduled day off I was busy"

:byodood:*managerial head explodes because their power is a lie*

That's the only thing you need to say. Don't put up with that bullshit.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

At work they will print out the comments from our receipt survey each week. I like to look them over when I'm bored in the breakroom.

Usually it's people bitching about various corporate policies or inattentive workers. This week I noticed a particular response from an angry customer.

Apparently he'd come into the store for a plumbing issue but was upset that the two employees advice didn't work out so he left his phone number and demanded they call to apologize.

Imagine being that kind of person.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 13, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Sankis posted:

At work they will print out the comments from our receipt survey each week. I like to look them over when I'm bored in the breakroom.

We get shat on if every single customer doesn't say they got up sold to, and the surveys are linked to their rewards card. Cue every smart worker now upselling but only to people with rewards cards (because everyone hates it and it makes no money).

Next comment "Yes they did up sell, but they only do it when I scan my rewards card"

IDIOT. Do NOT gently caress this up for everyone.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
There are a couple of regular pro customers in my store that always do the VOC survey and specifically praise all the people they talked to that day. It's great reading the comments. " DUDE in Tool Rental was a great help to me! Thanks MR. MANAGER for having such great hardworking employees!"

And then right below it, another customer comment: "Inventory wrong again."

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Had a retired employee (who I never met) come in and ask for the store location of where another employee works. I told the retired employee that if he gave me his contact info, I can let the current employee know and have him contact retired employee. He was obviously a bit miffed at that idea and said that we used to just let others know what store number they're at. I told him I can't give out information like that and I could get in serious trouble. He then asked if I'm the manager there (yes), and asked what my last name was (I reluctantly answered). Seriously, who the gently caress do you think you are?

Last week we had big shots visit our stores in our city. Today we had big shots visit our stores in our city. Next week we are going to have big shots visit our stores in our city. October is supposed to be the chillest month of the year, no major holidays for us (Halloween does nothing for us), and it is the month we get to rest before winter holiday hell. Having company big shots visit us three weeks in a row is really souring my mood with this place. It feels like I've been on edge week after week.

After October is over, I'll have been working 5 months without a vacation week. I know I won't take another one until possibly end of January. I wish everybody would just leave me alone.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Gain is a mistake, and so are the coupons for their stupid laundry crap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ijii posted:

Had a retired employee (who I never met) come in and ask for the store location of where another employee works. I told the retired employee that if he gave me his contact info, I can let the current employee know and have him contact retired employee. He was obviously a bit miffed at that idea and said that we used to just let others know what store number they're at. I told him I can't give out information like that and I could get in serious trouble. He then asked if I'm the manager there (yes), and asked what my last name was (I reluctantly answered). Seriously, who the gently caress do you think you are?

Last week we had big shots visit our stores in our city. Today we had big shots visit our stores in our city. Next week we are going to have big shots visit our stores in our city. October is supposed to be the chillest month of the year, no major holidays for us (Halloween does nothing for us), and it is the month we get to rest before winter holiday hell. Having company big shots visit us three weeks in a row is really souring my mood with this place. It feels like I've been on edge week after week.

After October is over, I'll have been working 5 months without a vacation week. I know I won't take another one until possibly end of January. I wish everybody would just leave me alone.

Do you see my last name on my name badge? No? That’s because it’s none of your business. Literally what I say any time I’m asked that. It’s a good philosophy to have.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I didnt put a lid on all the way for a person in drive thru and they spilled it all over themselves. Yes I felt bad. Yes I cried. No they werent mad (thank GOD)

I always make sure the lid is on right for kids drinks and for extra hot ones but we were in a rush and I was just trying to bang out lattes as fast as I loving could

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lids are evil, treacherous creatures, and I always double check that they’re perfectly secure when I buy a latte.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Welp, color printer is down and it's only the start of my shift :suicide:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Zenithe posted:

What in the actual gently caress is their reasoning for that.

Usually when your company hates you and wants you dead they are more subtle.

:shrug: I could think of a number of very logical corporate as gently caress reasons, but I wasn't going to argue or try to fish for info. When someone starts a conversation by saying they're not going to tell you poo poo, the rest of the conversation is a waste of time. As for why she'd obey so strictly... she's just that kind of person. She's not a bad person, but a nice autocrat is still an autocrat.

She is a strange person. I can't bring myself to hate her because she's sincere when she's nice, and I admire her confidence, but drat she can miss the mark when it comes to the morale side of management.

I've reviewed our store policy in the event of a shooting. It's right there along with fires, 'urban unrest', media coverage, and UNION ACTIVITY. Same as every other job- flee, hide, or fight. Then go out to the parking lot and wait for police response.

I'd like to know who would follow that policy. If I make it out of the building during a shooting, I'm not going to stop running until I can't even see the drat store.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

:shrug: I could think of a number of very logical corporate as gently caress reasons, but I wasn't going to argue or try to fish for info. When someone starts a conversation by saying they're not going to tell you poo poo, the rest of the conversation is a waste of time. As for why she'd obey so strictly... she's just that kind of person. She's not a bad person, but a nice autocrat is still an autocrat.

She is a strange person. I can't bring myself to hate her because she's sincere when she's nice, and I admire her confidence, but drat she can miss the mark when it comes to the morale side of management.

I've reviewed our store policy in the event of a shooting. It's right there along with fires, 'urban unrest', media coverage, and UNION ACTIVITY. Same as every other job- flee, hide, or fight. Then go out to the parking lot and wait for police response.

I'd like to know who would follow that policy. If I make it out of the building during a shooting, I'm not going to stop running until I can't even see the drat store.

Our policy used to have ten steps in the case of an active shooter. Get Out, Hide Out, and numbers 4-7 are lost to time. I remember step 8, which was Improvise a Weapon. My idea to have a teambuilding escape room type exercise where we improvised a weapon from certain areas in the store was shot down, no pun intended.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

gently caress yeah, they didn't schedule a closing grocery person at my box store and didn't tell me I needed to pull and push their batches until an hour before closing. The computer says it'll take two hours just to pull.

Good thing I only work closing on the weekends so everyone will hopefully forget about it by next weekend.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Pulled the entire back half of my department so the floor can be waxed again. Almost entirely alone. On my way out, the incoming third shift manager asked who told us they were waxing that area tonight.

It's been on the white board in our back room all week. This is the fourth night in two weeks we've had to pull/reset tables for unnecessary floor waxing. If nothing gets done tonight and we have to move half the department again, I know somebody's getting screamed at.

And I won't hear about it until Wednesday because I'm off :D

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That part is really more for fires and natural disasters. They want a head count so you can look at your coworkers and figure out who might still be inside.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
A family ordered 5 frappucinos, just different enough that I couldn't make them in batches and sent their little girl to pick them up. I asked her if she needed a tray and she told me they were sitting right over there so why did they send their probably like 8 year old daughter to get all of them. Anyway they also sent her back up to tell me they didn't taste right and to remake them. Said they "taste like water" and my loving shift says "we're training new people right now so mistakes happen" bitch i made those drinks correctly, but just in case I put an extra pump of caramel syrup in each one. Anyway not my fault most customers dont know what they want. Frappucinos are the bane of my existence and why is it that dudes in lifted trucks always order venti vanilla bean creme frappucinos??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pentaghastly posted:

Frappucinos are the bane of my existence and why is it that dudes in lifted trucks always order venti vanilla bean creme frappucinos??

Starbucks has a lot of ghastly crimes to answer for.