Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
hot take: Both manga are good and I am glad Vigilantes managed to rise beyond its initial lukewarm reception and the average track record of spinoff mangas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im criticizing all y'all's posting

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

With the exception of the Midnight thing Vigilantes is good fun and helps to flesh out the world. Bee Girl villain has introduced some mystery into the plot line that is currently lacking from the boss rush that is the current MHA arc. MHA is also fun and I'm looking forward to Overhaul getting what's coming in the form of a huge dragon then getting back to the Villain Alliance what they are up to. Also Knuckleduster is the best.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like the bit where all might fought that one dude until he couldn't fight anymore

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

i like the bit where all might fought that one dude until he couldn't fight anymore

The guy or All Might

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

both

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Vigilantes is a cute little side story that by virtue of being a cute little side story will not be better than MHA, even if I feel MHA is in a big slump right now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't really been reading this thread because my opinions on MHA change like the loving seasons but I wasn't aware people thought it was in a slump.

I'd ask why but I get the feeling it's been discussed to death.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 11, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arist posted:

I haven't really been reading this thread because my opinions on MHA change like the loving seasons but I wasn't aware people thought it was in a slump.

I'd ask why but I get the feeling it's both been discussed to death.

The arc's picked up in the last few chapters but until now suffered from some busted-rear end pacing, questionable story choices, and uninteresting villains.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I kinda get that. I have a tendency to forget about this series for a few weeks and then read 4 chapters in a row so I haven't been that affected by the pacing but it still feels like we've been here forever. It's something I tolerate in like, One Piece because that series has so much going on but one of the more refreshing things about MHA for me is that the arcs are generally pretty short.

It's also been pretty frustrating that a lot of the more interesting characters were supposed to be in this arc and disappeared for months until this most recent chapter.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Indeed. Thankfully, it's dragon lady time :getin:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Controversial opinion: I think dragon lady has a dumb design.

Dragons are still cool, and I'm glad they have dropped in though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are you kidding? Her quirk is to turn into the Blue Eyes White Dragon. That's amazing.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The idea is cool. I just don't like the execution. :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Horikoshi has a knack for designing good looking characters. Even characters people don't like and feel the need to say that every time they show up have good, identifiable and interesting designs.

Then there's food sasuke.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like Ryukyu's standard form fine but the fact that her dragon form still has hair is super dumb

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Actually I don't like a lot of the main characters' costume designs

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Horikoshi has a knack for designing good looking characters. Even characters people don't like and feel the need to say that every time they show up have good, identifiable and interesting designs.

Then there's food sasuke.

I like Food Sasuke though because instead of being some Stoic, To-Cool-For-School brooding boy that everyone is insanely in love with, he's given an appropriate personality for someone who stands around silently never talking to anyone: awkward with poor social skills.

He's essentially how you would react if you saw someone like Sasuke in real life at a party or at school or something: you'd find their behavior weird and off putting.

I think I like him for that aspect. Plus he's got a cool Assassin's Creed hood.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wouldn't a massive dragon be ill suited to be anywhere near someone who could disintegrate anything with a touch tho

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Wouldn't a massive dragon be ill suited to be anywhere near someone who could disintegrate anything with a touch tho

it's probably a good matchup since Dragons can just loving fly and shoot fire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

Actually I don't like a lot of the main characters' costume designs

I agree. I like the characters' designs, but a lot of the costumes aren't that cool (it's particularly weird how the protagonist's costume is one of the most unremarkable things ever).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Deku's first costume was ugly as sin but that was more because his mom sewed it based entirely on a sketch in one of his old notebooks. It was literally designed by a ten year old.

Once he got a professionally-designed costume he looked all right.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Well Manicured Man posted:

Deku's first costume was ugly as sin but that was more because his mom sewed it based entirely on a sketch in one of his old notebooks. It was literally designed by a ten year old.

Once he got a professionally-designed costume he looked all right.

It still looks pretty boring IMO. Just a green jump suit with a mouth-guard Deku never wears.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Controversial opinion: I think dragon lady has a dumb design.

Dragons are still cool, and I'm glad they have dropped in though.

Her design is rad, actually, and good

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I actually appreciate the simplicity and subtlety of Deku's costume, because he's basically nobody with a quirk he doesn't fully understand. Once he's the Pillar of Justice, he'll probably improve it. I just hope he doesn't change the look of his shoes, or the rad metal thing Mei made for them.

I don't really think any of the costumes are bad, though. They tend to fit the characters well enough, and none of them are offensively ugly or anything.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well now he has a green jumpsuit with big iron legs and a white bracer on one arm, so it's a bit of a mess. but I'm sure in the series epilogue when he's in his late 20s and #1 hero he will have a cool coherent look!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

Yeah, if dragons weren't inherently tied to magic.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

quirks are magic

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Aurora posted:

quirks are magic

Wanna see this as an informational pamphlet that doctors give to new parents.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There are lots of great costumes, but there is no excuse for Mirio's ugly garbage suit. And it's even worse in color!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What are the best superhero costumes out of the main characters

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

bakugou, nejire, suneater

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

I actually appreciate the simplicity and subtlety of Deku's costume, because he's basically nobody with a quirk he doesn't fully understand. Once he's the Pillar of Justice, he'll probably improve it. I just hope he doesn't change the look of his shoes, or the rad metal thing Mei made for them.

I don't really think any of the costumes are bad, though. They tend to fit the characters well enough, and none of them are offensively ugly or anything.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense! He even says he specifically took Deku because he didn't feel nearly ready enough to take on a name to homage All Might or make it clear he's his legacy. So I feel this is thematically similar too. Someone like Bakugo has a costume that fits their personality and Quirk perfectly because their Quirk has been a formative part of their life, whereas Deku is slowly assembling a costume as he needs the features. Though I do hope the kids get more streamlined and refined costumes as they grow up.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Didn't Ochako mention near the beginning of the series that her suit wasn't exactly what she had in mind? I wonder how many redesigns we're gonna get over the course of the series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The biggest offender was Deku's mask and given that its basically been banished to the phantom zone I'm guessing Horikoshi realized how bad it was

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Begemot posted:

There are lots of great costumes, but there is no excuse for Mirio's ugly garbage suit. And it's even worse in color!

the excuse is that Mirio is in it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Viridiant posted:

Didn't Ochako mention near the beginning of the series that her suit wasn't exactly what she had in mind? I wonder how many redesigns we're gonna get over the course of the series.
Horikoshi himself said that most of the kids are going to have their costumes change over time as they develop their quirks and they get messed up.

I think Midoriya's hood/mask/faceguard are going to go away eventually. It's supposed to ape All Might's silhouette and smile because he can't do that himself yet. Next symbol of peace can't wear a mask yo- it'll go away I think at some point.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Viridiant posted:

Didn't Ochako mention near the beginning of the series that her suit wasn't exactly what she had in mind?

I think she and Tsuyu both say they only had vague ideas of what they wanted, and the costume designers put them in embarrassing skin-tight outfits because that's the baseline for female costumes. (Bit of meta-commentary there.)

I hope Midoriya's mask does go away eventually, because with that noseguard in the front he's one head-slam away from getting an eye gouged out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or he just needs to start actually wearing the loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

deku isn't going to become the symbol of peace