Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rutibex posted:

Belmond said that Jiren can't be defeated by anyone. That means he is stronger than the angels, the Grand Priest, and Zeno himself. If Zeno tried to erase Jiren he would resist it like Freeza resisted the Hakai.

I wouldn't take the words of a clown at face value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Belmond said that Jiren can't be defeated by anyone. That means he is stronger than the angels, the Grand Priest, and Zeno himself. If Zeno tried to erase Jiren he would resist it like Freeza resisted the Hakai.

That is nonsense. Zamasu was a sentient immortal universe (who, notably, would've had to kill Jiren before anyway) and it took Zeno basically 0 effort to wipe him out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ribrianne and her fat transformation turned out to be really disappointing outside of the transformation and her partners were more fun and interesting. And I have no idea what kind of message it sends about body image, it's kinda bad.

Stairmaster posted:

you're full of poo poo

Actually, it was, and gently caress you.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I don't really mind Ribrianne. When everyone saw Goku get loving vaporized by the spirit bomb she was among the first to surround Jiren. If it were me I would've poo poo my pants and jumped off the arena because I'm a huge coward

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
vegeta didnt give energy because he knew that the spirit bomb was a garbage idea and it wouldn't do anything remotely notable. he was more or less correct and could not possibly predict that it would collapse into the singularity which would make goku divine for like 45 seconds.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, so far Ribrianne's entire thing is 'She is a magical girl. Except fat. Hahaha it is funny' and that's kind of lame.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If anyone should knock out Ribrianne, it ought to be Android 17.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I really wanted to like Ribrianne but she's getting really tedious. I was hoping her powers would do some crazy poo poo like make Vegeta act like Dabura after being cleansed in heaven or make people fall in love with her or whatever. Instead it's... heart-shaped ki blasts. Woo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

extra row of teeth posted:

I really wanted to like Ribrianne but she's getting really tedious. I was hoping her powers would do some crazy poo poo like make Vegeta act like Dabura after being cleansed in heaven or make people fall in love with her or whatever. Instead it's... heart-shaped ki blasts. Woo.

Throwing around generic Ki blasts is not uncommon for magical girls. Sailor Moon is actually pretty powerful, at least saiyan saga tier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPwk_5wQTWg

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ribrianne would be fine if she accomplished anything. But she's fighting base form Goku and Vegeta and proves zero threat to them. That's all she does. She just eats up time

I'd rather watch Piccolo than Ribrianne, ya know?

Where the gently caress is Piccolo?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ribrianne will defeat Jiren and save all the universes, I know it in my heart.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

"I bring you love!" - Ribrianne

"Is that the love between a man and a woman, or the love of a man for a fine Cuban cigar?" - Roshi

"Uh...I bring you love!" - Ribrianne

"It's bringing love, don't let it get away!" - Vegeta

"Break its legs!" - Freeza

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Vegeta's response to anything these days is "tch".

While the special was loving amazing, the real hero has yet to enter the show; Ultra Instinct Yamcha and his epic battle against his arch enemy

Wanna see this special especially when saibaman is finally turned good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zzulu posted:

Piccolo is steering the gently caress clear of Ribrianne. He's a jobber, not an idiot.

I appreciate Ribrianne's moxie. She's clearly monstrously durable, if nothing else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ribrianne is just counterpicked by Goku And Friends, especially since she keeps interacting with the assholes that barely understand what love means. Then she has to punch them and they are way too good at punching.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Ribrianne would be fine if she accomplished anything. But she's fighting base form Goku and Vegeta and proves zero threat to them. That's all she does. She just eats up time

I'd rather watch Piccolo than Ribrianne, ya know?

Piccolo is the Son Goku family babysitter, whether it's Goten, Pan, or Gohan, a true babysitter never leaves the kids alone

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, so far Ribrianne's entire thing is 'She is a magical girl. Except fat. Hahaha it is funny' and that's kind of lame.

I don't really see her fat as being a joke in itself. The joke seemed to be the initial surprise that the most beautiful person in multiple universes is a large woman as it reversed expectations, and she's been played straight (as a general silly character) since then. Her weight hasn't come up since the initial reveal and even then nobody said anything about weight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

her being fat isn't being made a joke by the characters but she's one note and the one note is that she's fat and a magical girl so the writers are making that joke constantly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know poo poo about Super Dragon Ball Heroes but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMilMRT7o0 I really hope the Frieza + Goku vs Jiren thing happens

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

her being fat isn't being made a joke by the characters but she's one note and the one note is that she's fat and a magical girl so the writers are making that joke constantly.

Dragon Ball is known for having multifaceted, nuanced characters

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dragon Ball is known for having multifaceted, nuanced characters

Oh, I guess all is forgiven and Brianne getting the short end of the one note stick is fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope Hit literally kills Ribrianne

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kashuno posted:

I hope Hit literally kills Ribrianne

You can't kill Love, Kashuno. Ribrianne is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can see why people are seeing her as a fat joke, considering the constant sproinging noises whenever she moves and Vegeta's "it was so repulsive I instinctively dodged".

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

To be fair it's more than just her weight, I believe they designed her to be comically ugly or at least uncomfortable looking and it's not just "lol fat". Like the camera is loving obsessed with her nose for some reason, it started with that :wtf: extreme close up into her nostril in that earlier ToP episode and has kept happening to smaller degrees.

Maybe she's supposed to be an (extremely sanitized) Magical Girl version of a Bactrian-like idea? Where instead of Anime version of Ren and Stimpy-style grossout we get a subdued "ugh" vibe under the magical girl tropes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Ribrianne is fun. Trust goons to moan about the girly girl.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's vaguely interesting: she says she's all about Love, but it's a narcissistic love. She wants everyone's love and adoration. Her wish to be Goddess Of Love, and effectively force all things to pray to her.

She's ambitious, powerful enough, sneaky enough to take sneak attacks when given, and dangerous. If I'd expect a swerve of some sort, I'd expect it to involve her.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe in episode 116 that Ribrianne rings out Frieza

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Ribrianne is fun. Trust goons to moan about the girly girl.

I'm definitely not moaning about her because "ugh, girl". I am a woman and have wanted the franchise to have more badass girl fighters since I was a kid. Ribrianne seems to be pretty polarizing, but I think at least some of the concerns are legit.

Personally, I think she overstayed her welcome. She was much more fun playing off her team and she feels like a one-trick pony. The ToP is full of fun gimmicky characters, but the key is that most of them didn't have enough screen time for their gimmick to grow old.

Personally I would have loved to see more of the incredible Dr.Rota and his amazing ability to

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

To be fair it's more than just her weight, I believe they designed her to be comically ugly or at least uncomfortable looking and it's not just "lol fat". Like the camera is loving obsessed with her nose for some reason, it started with that :wtf: extreme close up into her nostril in that earlier ToP episode and has kept happening to smaller degrees.

Maybe she's supposed to be an (extremely sanitized) Magical Girl version of a Bactrian-like idea? Where instead of Anime version of Ren and Stimpy-style grossout we get a subdued "ugh" vibe under the magical girl tropes.

That's true. Also the fact that she looks like a Teletubby. And I think the contrast between magical girl glamor and goofy, comedic design makes more sense than "ha ha fat," even if the latter is unfortunately part of the former.

I don't get why people seem so vehemently against her as a character, though. Bloodly outlined like at least 3 reasons why so far she's been fun and interesting. I loved her ranting at an increasingly unamused Jiren.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Forget Ribrianne, when is my boy PAPARONI going to do *anything*, this whole tournament is such a tease.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

25 minutes, I think.

Yeah.
We get it, Ribrianne is the kawaii magical girl archetype but she's fat and ugly. Hilarious!

Hopefully she's ringed out soon.

Ribrianne owns, actually. And I think you might be projecting onto the show here, cause I'm pretty sure it's never said that (outside of Krillin commenting and then getting shut up by Toppo and some others).

That said the show has been mishandling her quite a bit, but that's true of a lot of people in the ToP. I'm hoping episodes going forward do more with her (a decent possibility since if they weren't they'd have probably just had her get knocked out by SSB Goku).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I'm definitely not moaning about her because "ugh, girl". I am a woman and have wanted the franchise to have more badass girl fighters since I was a kid. Ribrianne seems to be pretty polarizing, but I think at least some of the concerns are legit.

Personally, I think she overstayed her welcome. She was much more fun playing off her team and she feels like a one-trick pony. The ToP is full of fun gimmicky characters, but the key is that most of them didn't have enough screen time for their gimmick to grow old.

Personally I would have loved to see more of the incredible Dr.Rota and his amazing ability to

I don't agree with the criticism I've recently heard that she's overstayed her welcome. I think that if she was kicked out it would just highlight further how unimportant the other universes are compared to the big three and further emphasis that nobody else matters. As it is her gimmicks, appearance and abilities are so weird and against the Shonen norms I still like seeing her around. I don't really think she's meant to be particularly repulsive visually, they do make her weight into a joke too frequently but she's also kind of cuddly and cute in a way that undermines both the idea of what an action series character should be like and what a magical girl series character should be like, which is a really Dragonball thing to do in and of itself.

It's mostly just been the last episode where she under-performed badly and now people are rooting against her, but the show still frames her as important and dangerous. I thought her attacking Goku while he was building the spirit bomb was pretty obviously meant to be ironic or an intentional eye-for-an-eye thing on her part so I don't give it much stock. Maybe if she does better later on people would be more positive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Ribrianne owns, actually. And I think you might be projecting onto the show here, cause I'm pretty sure it's never said that (outside of Krillin commenting and then getting shut up by Toppo and some others).

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

This may just have to be an agree to disagree situation. I'm glad that her screentime isn't wasted and that there are people who enjoy her antics; she just isn't the character for me, at least after her intro episodes.

The ToP in general has this feeling (and for the record this may just be 100% me), but it feels like they're focusing more on 'ok' characters but the really fun ones are in the background or get barely any screen time. It's the blessing and the curse of having so many new characters at once, all of whom may appeal to different tastes.

That dude Gohan fought was loving awesome, the effect looked cool and he seemed like an interesting character - a honorable warrior who respected his opponent. Of course that's unoriginal, but the Dragonball tradition is to jack off over your own power level so having someone be straight up honorable as an opponent was refreshing. This great dude was gone in 30 seconds. Dr Rota? Gone in 30 seconds.

This could just be an unfortunate side effect of so many new characters being introduced at once, but I just wish some of the guys from other universes were given room to breathe. The sacrifice for this airtime could be less time spent on U7/U6. But if that was the case people, especially the young target demographic, may get bored and feel like they're watching a different show if we didn't check in on the more developed characters at times.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this arc must be a goddamn nightmare to write and god bless the DBS staff.

Speaking of characters in the limelight that could use work, I'm honestly not feeling Jiren much. This takes nothing away from the special, which was amazing, but man I wish he showed some more character by now. Here's hoping he does more than :| during the Hit fight next week.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dias posted:

Ribrianne is just counterpicked by Goku And Friends, especially since she keeps interacting with the assholes that barely understand what love means. Then she has to punch them and they are way too good at punching.

ribrianne wants to use her wish selfishly but goku wants to give it to his family, she's not even better than they are at her own gimmick

the transformation scene was pretty funny but that was because of 17 and toppo, not ribrianne. outside of that she's kinda sucked

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I found her weird looking in that form at first but it grew on me somehow.

Given she merc'd two people over nothing in her intro I feel like she'll drop this shtick sometime soon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

This may just have to be an agree to disagree situation. I'm glad that her screentime isn't wasted and that there are people who enjoy her antics; she just isn't the character for me, at least after her intro episodes.

The ToP in general has this feeling (and for the record this may just be 100% me), but it feels like they're focusing more on 'ok' characters but the really fun ones are in the background or get barely any screen time. It's the blessing and the curse of having so many new characters at once, all of whom may appeal to different tastes.

That dude Gohan fought was loving awesome, the effect looked cool and he seemed like an interesting character - a honorable warrior who respected his opponent. Of course that's unoriginal, but the Dragonball tradition is to jack off over your own power level so having someone be straight up honorable as an opponent was refreshing. This great dude was gone in 30 seconds. Dr Rota? Gone in 30 seconds.

This could just be an unfortunate side effect of so many new characters being introduced at once, but I just wish some of the guys from other universes were given room to breathe. The sacrifice for this airtime could be less time spent on U7/U6. But if that was the case people, especially the young target demographic, may get bored and feel like they're watching a different show if we didn't check in on the more developed characters at times.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this arc must be a goddamn nightmare to write and god bless the DBS staff.

Speaking of characters in the limelight that could use work, I'm honestly not feeling Jiren much. This takes nothing away from the special, which was amazing, but man I wish he showed some more character by now. Here's hoping he does more than :| during the Hit fight next week.

Jiren is an amazing wall for Goku to beat down with his big, stupid face, but not a very good character. Toppo, on the other hand, is beautiful and has done nothing wrong.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

But something like Dr Rota was literally one-note, way more than Ribrianne, he has a mystery power that he keeps hyping up and comedically get interrupted each time he tries to use it. That's it, there's not much more mileage to that joke than what we saw in the show. And I don't know if i'd say DB characters are dishonorable to a point that that universe 10 fighter stood out. It's a series where even bad guys like Cell or (formerly) Vegeta deliberately allow their opponents to reach maximum power and everyone has an unwritten rule about not messing with Transformations or long charge up attacks even if they take a million years. Good fights are themselves a big motivation for most characters, even bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ribrienne sucks

Show me more of

a) Gohan
b) Piccolo
c) Frieza
d) Vegeta

Hell even vegeta is doing barely anything right now, can't they at least give him a token rival in this tournament?